Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2 games, 2 cups

Read 20404 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: 2 games, 2 cups
      Reply #115: Dec 05, 2019 01:20:22 pm
      ah ffs. just seen its the BBC who have the coverage for these games.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #116: Dec 05, 2019 01:21:40 pm
      So who’s left behind...?

Just the ball boys apparently  :laugh:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #117: Dec 05, 2019 03:38:38 pm
      So who’s left behind...?

Starting lineup for Villa is something like:

Kelleher
      Gallacher, Hoever, Van den Berg, Larouci
      Chirivella, Christie-Davies, Dixon-Bonner
      Kane, Longstaff, Hill

also in contention: Clarkson, Stewart,

and Swab's ballboys.

We're going out.  :(
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #118: Dec 05, 2019 07:30:03 pm
      Just checked the odds. Villa are 1/2 on and we are 6/1 against.

I think that is about right, we will be heavy under dogs but a great experience for the kids and whatever happens, they gave us some fun along the way.

On the face of it 1/2 looks generous for a Villa win.If I was a Villa fan I'd be insulted. I mean we are putting out a team that hardly has a premier game under their belt against a side that needs cup success to define their season.Probably 1/4 with us 12/1.

I mean I'd never put money on us to lose but those odds will bring in the neutrals and Villa fans.Lets hope we can cost them.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #119: Dec 05, 2019 08:25:57 pm
      Think the plan is to fly the quartet out after the Villa game which makes sense as they wont figure much in any of the two games
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #120: Dec 05, 2019 09:32:09 pm
      Think the plan is to fly the quartet out after the Villa game which makes sense as they wont figure much in any of the two games

Has that been reported? I get the logic, but I also read somewhere (This is Anfield?) that anyone in the squad had to be there from the Monday - don't know if that is true either.

Of course it also is possible that Jürgen will make 11 changes from the semifinal to the final as there should be a major gap in quality of our opponents. In that case of course those four will be needed for the semifinal and unavailable for the League Cup.

Hopefully the four get a first team game, one way or another. They all did rather well last time.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #121: Dec 05, 2019 09:58:08 pm
      Not sure it’s wise taking Elliot, Jones, Williams etc. Would be shocked if they play any part over the 2 games. Makes much more sense for them to have stayed and got 90mins vs Villa.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #122: Dec 05, 2019 09:59:55 pm
      Not sure it’s wise taking Elliot, Jones, Williams etc. Would be shocked if they play any part over the 2 games. Makes much more sense for them to have stayed and got 90mins vs Villa.

They are flying them out after the Villa game if i read correctly
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #123: Dec 05, 2019 10:03:01 pm
      They are flying them out after the Villa game if i read correctly

Where’s it say that? Not seen anything that says that if I’m honest.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #124: Dec 05, 2019 10:03:11 pm
      What a thrill it would be if the kids beat Villa,they will certainly have the enthusiasm to win.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #125: Dec 05, 2019 10:05:45 pm
      Where’s it say that? Not seen anything that says that if I’m honest.

I read that not sure if legit. We surely have enough to leave them back home Gomez can cover and Milner at back more than enough options in Midfield and attack to cover the two games
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #126: Dec 05, 2019 10:08:16 pm
      I read that not sure if legit. We surely have enough to leave them back home Gomez can cover and Milner at back more than enough options in Midfield and attack to cover the two games

Unless it’s just a case of submitting this squad list of players and they are only on it in case the unthinkable happens and we suddenly lose a load of players.

Soon find out, be interesting to see how it pans out.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #127: Dec 05, 2019 11:05:29 pm
      Unless it’s just a case of submitting this squad list of players and they are only on it in case the unthinkable happens and we suddenly lose a load of players.

Soon find out, be interesting to see how it pans out.

The Villa match will be tougher, much tougher, than Monterrey. So Klopp may want those youngsters to play in Qatar.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #128: Dec 06, 2019 08:29:48 am
      The Villa match will be tougher, much tougher, than Monterrey. So Klopp may want those youngsters to play in Qatar.

Think Klopp is more bothered about the CWC than the league cup, I’d be surprised if he took the chance of playing them in either of the two games.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #129: Dec 06, 2019 09:37:10 am
      Here's the World Club Cup squad then.

GK: Alisson, Adrian, Lonergan
      D: Van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Gomez, Robertson, Williams.
      M: Henderson, Wijnaldum, Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Shaqiri, Milner, Keita, Elliott.
      F: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Origi, Brewster,

Now pick who's playing against Villa!

Surely it would be more beneficial to leave Elliot and Brewster behind to get 90 minutes against senior opposition in the Cup rather than travelling across the world to train? Doesn't make sense. Both would benefit from the minutes and it would increase the youngsters chances of progressing given they are the arguably the 2 brightest talents (along with Hoever) coming through the ranks.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #130: Dec 06, 2019 10:22:41 am
      I hope those left behind are a squad that are used to playing with each other. Perhaps most of the u19s. In all honesty the league cup has been sacked off and in the end rightly so.

I don't think it will be pretty in the end, literally men against boys, and Villa are a physically strong team, whereas our boys won't be able to cope physically at this stage of their careers.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #131: Dec 06, 2019 02:50:10 pm
      Surely it would be more beneficial to leave Elliot and Brewster behind to get 90 minutes against senior opposition in the Cup rather than travelling across the world to train? Doesn't make sense. Both would benefit from the minutes and it would increase the youngsters chances of progressing given they are the arguably the 2 brightest talents (along with Hoever) coming through the ranks.

But you are assuming Elliot, Brewster, Jones and Williams won't play in the semifinal vs. the Mexican side. They very well might.

Jones is having the best season of our young players thus far.

I guess the respective selections mean Jürgen rates Neco Williams over Hoever at the moment, at least at right back.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #132: Dec 06, 2019 11:08:10 pm
      4 confirmed playing Villa then flying out makes sense to me
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #133: Dec 06, 2019 11:26:42 pm
      4 confirmed playing Villa then flying out makes sense to me

It is confirmed?

OH I see it now. Well that does make for a better League Cup match. So those four will fly overnight to Qatar and obviously not be available for the game the next day.

This also kind of shows Klopp is using the tournament as one of his warm weather training camps, so a great opportunity for the kids to be involved, but as some of you have said here, they won't be playing in the games (UNLESS we find ourselves in the 3rd place game - won't happen).

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2019 11:32:11 pm by Robby The Z »
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #134: Dec 07, 2019 12:34:24 am
      It is confirmed?

OH I see it now. Well that does make for a better League Cup match. So those four will fly overnight to Qatar and obviously not be available for the game the next day.

This also kind of shows Klopp is using the tournament as one of his warm weather training camps, so a great opportunity for the kids to be involved, but as some of you have said here, they won't be playing in the games (UNLESS we find ourselves in the 3rd place game - won't happen).

Piss myself if we turn Villa over with that side . Never know they might get complacent  and see it as a chance to rest some of their players. Big ask especially at the back
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #135: Dec 12, 2019 01:41:01 am
      Would it have been better if we had played Villa in the previous round and Arsenal in the next round?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #136: Dec 12, 2019 03:44:40 pm
      Would it have been better if we had played Villa in the previous round and Arsenal in the next round?

How many supporters will make the trip to Birmingham for the League Cup match, given the lack of first team regulars playing in that one?

I also wonder how many Reds will go to Qatar, obviously a much more expensive trip.

Any guesses?

(EDIT: Just to add I realize at least some of the fans who show up in Qatar won't be traveling from UK - like what we saw in the SuperCup at Istanbul).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #137: Dec 12, 2019 06:11:18 pm
      How many supporters will make the trip to Birmingham for the League Cup match, given the lack of first team regulars playing in that one?

I also wonder how many Reds will go to Qatar, obviously a much more expensive trip.

Any guesses?

(EDIT: Just to add I realize at least some of the fans who show up in Qatar won't be traveling from UK - like what we saw in the SuperCup at Istanbul).

There are some fans doing both games. Going to villa park then flying out to Qatar from the midlands.

Wouldn't surprise me if we sell out our Villa allocation and take between 1,000 - 2,000 fans who've bought tickets directly from LFC for Qatar. Fifa have reported that around 15,000 - 20,000 tickets for the competition have been bought from the UK.

Quick Reply