Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (10/11/19 - 16:30)

Read 31681 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (10/11/19 - 16:30)
      Reply #69: Nov 07, 2019 11:03:15 pm
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #70: Nov 07, 2019 11:12:13 pm
      Mo Salah has 8 goals and 5 assists in 1219 minutes played in all competitions this season. 1 goals involvement every 93 minutes. People suggesting that he should not start really don't know what they are talking about. He is an essential part of this team and should start every game even when he is in a "rut".
      Mo Salah....

Glass half full or 7/10's empty?

3 non PK goals total in PL this season, scored in 3 of 10 PL matches played in
      Last non Pk goal in PL....54 days ago

1 vs Norwich on Aug 9
      1 vs Arsenal on Aug 24 (+1 PK....Salah fouled)
      1 vs Newcastle on Sept 14
      (1 PK vs Tot on Oct 27....Mane fouled)
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #71: Nov 07, 2019 11:33:08 pm

Like some people on here
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #72: Nov 07, 2019 11:41:27 pm
      Hopefully we go after them with the full gegenpress in this one. Our more conservative style over the last season or so has helped us get more points over all, manage games better etc. But Jürgen's record against Guardiola shows the latter does not like it up him with the high press. We didn't play badly against them last season, but we didn't go after them as much as usual and didn't cause them as many problems. Like to see us go for the jugular at the weekend.

Team picks itself, apart from who partners Virgil. I'd go for Joe, but it's close on current form and I think Jürgen will go Lovren. The midfield 3 will be Fab, Hendo and Gini. Learn to accept it!

(As for dropping Mo! Catch yourselves on.)Maybe Mo's form is because of the cautious approach. If Klopp goes for gengen, then its another thing city has to deal with,  They are a great outfit but, we've proven that we can outplay them when WE get it right

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #73: Nov 07, 2019 11:43:50 pm
      Mo Salah....

1 vs Norwich on Aug 9

By his own standards Mo is very much in a slump, his passing and shooting are way off but unfortunately we don't have a quality 4th striker so he'll have to start and we'll just have to hope he ups his game
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #74: Nov 08, 2019 06:49:26 am
      I'm intrigued with how Pep is gonna field his 11. No Rodri is a massive boost for us as it means Gundogan plays that holding role. And bcos of that I feel he might go with a back-3 of Walker-Fernandinho-Stones with Cancelo and Mendy as his wing backs, to try peg back our full backs.

Ederson
      Walker Fern Stones
      Cancelo Kdb Gundg B Silva Mendy
      Sterling Aguero

With Cancelo and Mendy higher up the pitch, Trent and Robbo are restricted which means we need more drive from the midfield. Now if thats Pep's plan to block our channels (a similar set up to the UCL 2nd leg), we have GOT TO start Ox ahead of Hendo, and if we do that, I feel Mane starts on the right to give more protection to that right hand side.

Bobby Salah Mane
      Gini Fab Ox
      Robbo Virgil Lovren Trent
      Alisson

Subs: Adrian, Gomez, Lallana, Hendo, Milner, Keita, Origi

Doubt if they'll play a cagey game like last season where their intent was to not give us turnover chances. They're coming here for a win and will take the game to us from the word Go!
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #75: Nov 08, 2019 06:51:57 am
      I don't get all the drop Mo bit.
      Class is permanent,  form is temporary.
      Ok he might not be banging the goals in right now, but he is putting himself in all the right places and it only takes a goal..........

Also he does so much off the ball, pulling defenders out of position, tracking back etc etc.  For me he has to play.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #76: Nov 08, 2019 07:09:22 am
      I don't get all the drop Mo bit.
      Class is permanent,  form is temporary.
      Ok he might not be banging the goals in right now, but he is putting himself in all the right places and it only takes a goal..........

Also he does so much off the ball, pulling defenders out of position, tracking back etc etc.  For me he has to play.

I totally agree,when Mo plays the opposition tend to put 2 or 3 players marking him.This alone should surely leave openings for our midfielders.This brings me to the Ox who should surely be in the starting eleven against City.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #77: Nov 08, 2019 08:23:10 am
      I totally agree,when Mo plays the opposition tend to put 2 or 3 players marking him.This alone should surely leave openings for our midfielders.This brings me to the Ox who should surely be in the starting eleven against City.

I do agree that even if playing poorly Mo does cause a major distraction and headache to opposition teams but this is why I so wanted a top notch 4th striker in the summer, to cover our regular three in case of loss of form, injury and provide rotation, options off the bench etc.
      Anyway we are where we are, I totally agree about playing the Ox, we must not be passive with Citeh, they are an extremely dangerous attacking unit and we quite simply have to outscore them in this game because I will virtually guarantee that we concede at least one goal.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #78: Nov 08, 2019 10:11:21 am
      I expect Pep to set up similar to last season. They’re 6 behind and they were 7 behind when we went to theirs last season so I don’t see him going all out looking for 3 points. Especially when with last seasons plan they were a missed pen away from beating us.

Klopp will have planned for that though and I think we will be a different animal to the one that played City last season.
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2019 11:11:20 am by chats »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #79: Nov 08, 2019 11:02:50 am
      Mo Salah has 8 goals and 5 assists in 1219 minutes played in all competitions this season. 1 goals involvement every 93 minutes. People suggesting that he should not start really don't know what they are talking about. He is an essential part of this team and should start every game even when he is in a "rut".

Also not to forget he's been nursing an ankle problem for the last few games
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #80: Nov 08, 2019 11:06:41 am

During the late 90’s/ early 2000’s and before his rise to the captaincy, Stevie really did have that cheeky ‘F**k you’ attitude...brilliant photo
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #81: Nov 08, 2019 11:18:22 am
      During the late 90’s/ early 2000’s and before his rise to the captaincy, Stevie really did have that cheeky ‘f**k you’ attitude...brilliant photo

That's one of the things I did miss about him as his career progressed, I suppose it's just general maturity. Some of his celebrations back in his early years were class - cupping his ears to the Gwladys after that screamer against the blue sh*te!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #82: Nov 08, 2019 11:21:59 am
      City away last year was so intense, all my friends say what a game that was, pure quality all over the pitch and unfortunately we somehow lost after playing superb football. The margins are so small.

This time we have the Fabinho enforcer starting from the get go - he’s going to make a huge difference

I always think about our equalizer in that game - It's such a shame we didn't get anything from the match because that goal seems to have been forgotten about.

One of the best team goals I've ever seen, the build up was superb - 20 odd passes I think!
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #83: Nov 08, 2019 11:27:05 am
      That's one of the things I did miss about him as his career progressed, I suppose it's just general maturity. Some of his celebrations back in his early years were class - cupping his ears to the Gwladys after that screamer against the blue sh*te!

I was actually thinking of that celebration as I wrote that post. But thought it was against the mancs after that 30 yard screamer but now I think of it, that was where he did a full slide on his chest across the turf.

Great memories!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #84: Nov 08, 2019 11:41:01 am
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #85: Nov 08, 2019 12:31:29 pm
      Mo Salah....

1 vs Norwich on Aug 9

Continued...

Firmino

3 total goals in 3 PL games this season.
      Last PL goal Sept 22.....46 days ago (Mo...54 days ago)

Also

LFC defense giving up 0.5 more goals per game this season vs last. Clean sheets are non-existent.
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      Are we in agreement Klopp is relying on TAA to deliver balls from forward positions at an accelerated rate?

And given TAA's right side location when delivering balls, right winger Salah is least likely to be the target of TAA's diagonal crosses, Firmino more so, but Mane has the best angle of the front 3 for TAA's deliveries.

TAA 3 assists in PL this season (De Bruyne 9)
      LFC corner kick scoring has been non existent in past 2 months

Also, I can't quantify but with TAA pressed forward so often opponents have attacked his vacated space with modest success IMO, likely having some correlation with the higher goals conceded.

My point.....Klopp's offense has not be clicking: goals are down because the preferred strategy of delivering moon balls to the diminutive front 3 has been ineffective. Klopp's defense has been a minor casualty because of the TAA-centric offensive strategy

The good news: Mids are showing offensive life after complete invisibility last season.
      My hope: Mids will become the preferred delivery system for the front 3 allowing giving TAA some reprieve and a more cohesive back line
      ------------------------
      TAA vs Sterling is the key of the match
      If Klopp continues to deploy TAA forward, Sterling could run wild.
      If Klopp muzzles TAA, who will be LFC's offensive catalyst: Robertson?
      Two years ago it was Ox who sliced them open up the middle. Will Klopp stay conservative with his tried and true veteran midfield lineup or go on the attack with Ox in the lineup?

I want to see end to end offense......not parked buses again

Ox Ox Ox!
      Sit Captain Obvious for this match

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #86: Nov 08, 2019 12:41:43 pm
      Continued...

Firmino

Also

LFC defense giving up 0.5 more goals per game this season vs last. Clean sheets are non-existent.
      Are we in agreement Klopp is relying on TAA to deliver balls from forward positions at an accelerated rate?

And given TAA's right side location when delivering balls, right winger Salah is least likely to be the target of TAA's diagonal crosses, Firmino more so, but Mane has the best angle of the front 3 for TAA's deliveries.

Also, I can't quantify but with TAA pressed forward so often opponents have attacked his vacated space with modest success IMO, likely having some correlation with the higher goals conceded.

My point.....Klopp's offense has not be clicking: goals are down because the preferred strategy of delivering moon balls to the diminutive front 3 has been ineffective. Klopp's defense has been a minor casualty because of the TAA-centric offensive strategy

The good news: Mids are showing offensive life after complete invisibility last season.
      My hope: Mids will become the preferred delivery system for the front 3 allowing giving TAA some reprieve and a more cohesive back line
      ------------------------
      Two years ago it was Ox who sliced them open up the middle. Will Klopp stay conservative with his tried and true veteran midfield lineup or go on the attack with Ox in the lineup?

Ox Ox Ox!

On the plus side our tight ends and linebackers have been excellent. Lack of touchdowns are a worry though
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #87: Nov 08, 2019 01:16:27 pm
      Continued...

Firmino

Also

------------------------

Ox Ox Ox!

The point about TAA being out of position was made by myself on page 1 and by numerous other posters.It is however a concern but TAA is now an integral part of our offensive game. Mo is cutting inside more and he did that well in the Genk second half.

Ox playing off Fab in the hole is an option but I think the Boss will keep that option on the bench. Robbo could be the diff  but he also has the problem of De bruyne picking up play 35/40 yards out, Robbo has to watch he doesn't get drawn out of position leaving space for Agero & others pulling off VVD.

Think both coaches will be a little cautious at the start.However I'm sure the Boss would not take a draw but it's a tight one for sure. VAR again could be the villian or saviour.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #88: Nov 08, 2019 01:30:34 pm
      Suggest reading the following and then watching the video. Should give some insight into the way we've been playing this season and the evolution we've made under Klopp. The article does a good job explaining why we see so many crosses from our full backs, and the video goes into some detail on our pressing game.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liverpools-new-tactic-crossing-teams-to-death-pslmq0gwz

https://youtu.be/eeg5rliDYTM
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #89: Nov 08, 2019 01:38:16 pm
      trash talk from pep: ederson is out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #90: Nov 08, 2019 01:41:57 pm
      F**k the coach welcomes for this, we need to turn up and make pure F***ing noise for this game, rattle these tw*ts to the core, make that Bravo a nervous wreck.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #91: Nov 08, 2019 02:07:01 pm
      On the plus side our tight ends and linebackers have been excellent. Lack of touchdowns are a worry though
      Depends who's on the roster in offence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYN8gfkG_tc

Quick Reply