Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (10/11/19 - 16:30)

Read 31913 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester City (10/11/19 - 16:30)
      Reply #46: Nov 07, 2019 10:04:57 am
      Yup..

City struggling against Atalanta .. on this evidence we should maul them.. there for the taking..

& Mendy is sh*te..
      We haven't mauled anyone on the league since Burnley, so I don't fancy our chances of doing that against City.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #47: Nov 07, 2019 10:10:39 am
      We haven't mauled anyone on the league since Burnley, so I don't fancy our chances of doing that against City.

You'll never know. If their struggles persist especially at the back... They were carved apart by Atalanta.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #48: Nov 07, 2019 10:11:23 am
      Huge game on Sunday, Mo Salah must start, with probably Origi on the bench. Also think AOC should be in the starting line up. Think a score draw would be a satisfactory result. Surely an entertaining game, with a few goals, from two attacking teams, with suspect defences.

If this is 0-0 I will show my arse at town hall clock

Certainly wouldn't bet on it being an end-to-end goal fest, this fixture last season was a pretty dire 0-0, the game at their place was of course 2-1 but I don't remember there being many chances until the last 30 minutes or so.

The difference between this fixture and the Anfield game last season is that City are 6 points behind, meaning they could come out with more of an attacking game plan although I wouldn't put it past them settling for a draw & going for a win at their place. They've seen our December fixture schedule so I think they'll be quietly confident of picking up 3 more points during the winter period. Six points used to be a lot of breathing space in a title battle but when you've got an opponent as relentless as City breathing down your neck, who are capable going on ridiculous winning runs, a mile can soon become an inch.

I'm hoping that they do come out and go for it, and leave pockets of space for us to exploit on the counter. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if the game ended 0-0
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2019 10:18:45 am by TameImpala »
      rossyred

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #49: Nov 07, 2019 10:24:02 am

Certainly wouldn't bet on it being an end-to-end goal fest, this fixture last season was a pretty dire 0-0, the game at their place was of course 2-1 but I don't remember there being many chances until the last 30 minutes or so.

The difference between this fixture and the Anfield game last season is that City are 6 points behind, meaning they could come out with more of an attacking game plan although I wouldn't put it past them settling for a draw & going for a win at their place. They've seen our December fixture schedule so I think they'll be quietly confident of picking up 3 more points during the winter period. Six points used to be a lot of breathing space in a title battle but when you've got an opponent as relentless as City breathing down your neck, who are capable going on ridiculous winning runs, a mile can soon become an inch.

I'm hoping that they do come out and go for it, and leave pockets of space for us to exploit on the counter. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if the game ended 0-0

No the difference is that both defences are fragile and not capable of keeping the other out
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #50: Nov 07, 2019 10:29:46 am
      No the difference is that both defences are fragile and not capable of keeping the other out

Well you'd first need to play on the front foot to expose the opposition's defensive fragility. There's no guarantee of that happening
      rossyred

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #51: Nov 07, 2019 10:38:39 am
      Well you'd first need to play on the front foot to expose the opposition's defensive fragility. There's no guarantee of that happening
      Whatever way you play football whether its front foot, conservative , possession based  defence will still be tested in 90 minutes so I dont think will be 0-0 if it is then I will be the first to hold my hands up and also show my arse
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #52: Nov 07, 2019 10:58:42 am

Tell me something that's guaranteed in this match. I'll take your word for it and head to William Hill. You do likewise as well. And put in 10 times what I put. What's guaranteed mate?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #53: Nov 07, 2019 11:16:55 am
      Tell me something that's guaranteed in this match. I'll take your word for it and head to William Hill. You do likewise as well. And put in 10 times what I put. What's guaranteed mate?

Better off heading to your local & seeing when the next open mic night is, for the opportunity to showcase some of the side-splitting wit you've just displayed there.

Then after that you can read through some year 4 English homework, where you will find that saying something "isn't guaranteed" is mostly used as a figure of speech, and not to be taken literally
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2019 11:34:23 am by TameImpala »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #54: Nov 07, 2019 11:30:54 am
      Watched the City game last night and they were awful. Atalanta should have put three past them in the second half and City's defence looks very susceptible, Mendy is a car crash waiting to happen. With Ederson out as well they are there for the taking.

We hold all the cards in this game, 6 points clear and at home. Win this and i feel the 9 point gap will be insurmountable for City. I don't think they can afford to play for the draw. I feel the talk of Salah being dropped is slightly ridiculous, as off as he has been of late he is a world class footballer. If we had a player of equal or almost equal measure then dropping him would be a possibility. We don't have that luxury unfortunately, the drop in quality after Salah is literally off a cliff. It's like leaving your Bentley Continental GT in the garage and being given a Nissan Micra as a courtesy car.

Fully expect us to close this game out in the second half as City start to push for the three points. Thinking this one will end 2-0 or 3-2, dependant on the centre back pairing. Massive massive game and a chance to cement our position as the best team in the Premier League.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #55: Nov 07, 2019 11:32:44 am
      Better off heading to your local & seeing when the next open mic night is, for the opportunity to showcase some of the side-splitting wit you've just displayed there.

And then after that you can read through some year 4 English homework, where you'll find that saying something "is not guaranteed" is mostly used as a figure of speech, and not to be taken literally

The only thing that is guaranteed in life is death.  ;)
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #56: Nov 07, 2019 11:37:10 am

Death, Taxes & Everton winning F**k all
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #57: Nov 07, 2019 12:26:26 pm
      Watched the City game last night and they were awful. Atalanta should have put three past them in the second half and City's defence looks very susceptible, Mendy is a car crash waiting to happen. With Ederson out as well they are there for the taking.

We hold all the cards in this game, 6 points clear and at home. Win this and i feel the 9 point gap will be insurmountable for City. I don't think they can afford to play for the draw. I feel the talk of Salah being dropped is slightly ridiculous, as off as he has been of late he is a world class footballer. If we had a player of equal or almost equal measure then dropping him would be a possibility. We don't have that luxury unfortunately, the drop in quality after Salah is literally off a cliff. It's like leaving your Bentley Continental GT in the garage and being given a Nissan Micra as a courtesy car.

Fully expect us to close this game out in the second half as City start to push for the three points. Thinking this one will end 2-0 or 3-2, dependant on the centre back pairing. Massive massive game and a chance to cement our position as the best team in the Premier League.

But dont forget we have our car crash in Loveren
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #58: Nov 07, 2019 01:14:33 pm

Death, Taxes & Everton winning f**k all

Yes that's the response I'm trying to invoke. Anything can happen. We could win big. And it's a match we can win. We could also lose if we ain't careful.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Nov 07, 2019 02:49:22 pm
      It's a big game, it's an important game, it's a landmark game. But it's played on November 10 so it's not a "Must" anything.

We could lose it and win the league going away. We could win, go up 9 points,and City could come back and win the title. Both of these could happen after a draw. There will be 26 league matches remaining for each team after Sunday. 26!

Hopefully it will be a fantastic occasion and one for our team to really shine. But nothing will be decided on Sunday.

Just to add to my thoughts on yesterday's post with a new sig, courtesy Jürgen.

Carry on.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #60: Nov 07, 2019 03:09:29 pm
      Nov 10 or not, this is a huge game.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #61: Nov 07, 2019 03:12:18 pm
      Re Salah, the problem that I’m seeing is that he is constantly picking up the ball with his back to goal and not on the half turn like Mané. Quite often either his touch lets him down or he is pressed very close and dispossessed. I’d like to see him drift a little in to more central areas, pick up the ball and have a go. It’s becoming all too predictable down the right hand side and more often than not the full back is getting the better of him.

Saying all that, not a doubt in my mind that he starts this. He has still had good moments this season and, as mentioned before, I feel like we lose a certain fear factor when any of the front 3 are missing, regardless of form.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2019 04:14:47 pm by ConzS »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Nov 07, 2019 04:25:48 pm
      Re Salah, the problem that I’m seeing is that he is constantly picking up the ball with his back to goal and not on the half turn like Mané. Quite often either his touch lets him down or he is pressed very close and dispossessed. I’d like to see him drift a little in to more central areas, pick up the ball and have a go. It’s becoming all too predictable down the right hand side and more often than not the full back is getting the better of him.

Saying all that, not a doubt in my mind that he starts this. He has still had good moments this season and, as mentioned before, I feel like we lose a certain fear factor when any of the front 3 are missing, regardless of form.

I think that is nail on head, Salah is becoming a bit to predictable in his play, he needs to adjust/evolve his style a bit, plus work on his finishing, but that I think it more a confidence thing and he's just in a bit of a slump right now. I would love it if he plays a blinder on Sunday, shows us the old Mo.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #63: Nov 07, 2019 06:10:30 pm
      This is going to be such an amazing game! The atmosphere alone will be incredible - two of the best teams in the world going toe to toe.

I’m dreaming of an absolute annihilation!!!

Whole world watching this one, can’t F***ing wait. The players will be absolutely buzzing!!

Firmino to have the game of his life
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #64: Nov 07, 2019 06:35:52 pm
      Mo Salah has 8 goals and 5 assists in 1219 minutes played in all competitions this season. 1 goals involvement every 93 minutes. People suggesting that he should not start really don't know what they are talking about. He is an essential part of this team and should start every game even when he is in a "rut".
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #65: Nov 07, 2019 06:55:01 pm
      Mo Salah has 8 goals and 5 assists in 1219 minutes played in all competitions this season. 1 goals involvement every 93 minutes. People suggesting that he should not start really don't know what they are talking about. He is an essential part of this team and should start every game even when he is in a "rut".
      Exactly,in form or out of form he is a threat & a massive one at that and make no bones about it ‘defences are sh*t scared of him’ it’s as simple as that,leaving him out would be utter madness.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #66: Nov 07, 2019 09:27:32 pm
      This is going to be such an amazing game! The atmosphere alone will be incredible - two of the best teams in the world going toe to toe.

I’m dreaming of an absolute annihilation!!!

Whole world watching this one, can’t f**king wait. The players will be absolutely buzzing!!

Firmino to have the game of his life

Agree Bobby will be key. Watching highlights of our games vs. them over the past three seasons - scintillating stuff.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #67: Nov 07, 2019 10:29:43 pm
      Agree Bobby will be key. Watching highlights of our games vs. them over the past three seasons - scintillating stuff.

City away last year was so intense, all my friends say what a game that was, pure quality all over the pitch and unfortunately we somehow lost after playing superb football. The margins are so small.

This time we have the Fabinho enforcer starting from the get go - he’s going to make a huge difference
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #68: Nov 07, 2019 10:56:32 pm

Quick Reply