Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (1.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      6 (4.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (4.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (3.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      30 (22.4%)
       Fabinho
      78 (58.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Voting closed: Nov 14, 2019 06:23:58 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29878 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Nov 11, 2019 09:27:30 am
      « Last Edit: Nov 11, 2019 11:15:05 am by Shabs »
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #415: Nov 11, 2019 09:47:35 am
      Tactical masterclass from Klopp, really did a number on Pep early on by letting City come at us so we could pick them off - took a lot of bottle as well because regardless of their current defensive flaws they've still got a wealth of talent that can hurt you from the midfield up.

Salah was terrific again, can't believe some of the knee-jerk shouts earlier in the week about leaving him out for this one. Thought Trent was brilliant going forward but seemed to get the runaround off Sterling a bit when City were on the attack, especially towards the end. Nothing much to worry about though because he's not the first defender who Sterling has caused problems for and he certainly won't be the last.

City's penalty shout still dominating the press and I'm not sure why - Bernardo's arm clearly diverted the ball onto Trent so it's pretty clear that it shouldn't have been a penalty. The case should have been closed in a matter of minutes. The only reason I can think of is that it gives these boring arse pundits something to discuss. They all bang on about how much they hate VAR (myself included) yet controversy and "talking points" are all good for the media! Gives them an opportunity to wheel out more boring referees to state what's already been stated 1000 times & adds weight to the gravy train. All publicity is good publicity in my opinion and certain talking points keep the merry-go-round spinning.

Final point - Pep's meltdown in front of the Main Stand was absolutely hilarious - screaming to the heavens holding up the number two. Ironically the same number of hairs he has on his head. Baldy b***ard!
      Regarding the two fingers,he was merely indicating to the reds fans in the main stand where they will finish in the league this season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #416: Nov 11, 2019 10:01:45 am
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #417: Nov 11, 2019 10:05:16 am
      Regarding the two fingers,he was merely indicating to the reds fans in the main stand where they will finish in the league this season.

Be lucky to finish 2nd with the way City & Leicester are playing at the minute. Think he may have been signalling the number of teams which will finish between ourselves & City come May

Still can't get over it. Going ful throttle with the mind games at the start of the week & ended it having a meltdown while getting laughed at by all the old Bovril drinkers wrapped in their blankets!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #418: Nov 11, 2019 10:11:45 am
      I just want to say to the mighty reds, "thank you SSSSSOOOOOOOOOO much, thank you SSSSOOOOOOOOO much!"

And by the way, that was not dripping in sarcasm like someone I could mention....

:lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #419: Nov 11, 2019 10:41:26 am
      It was a really good game and I felt we had the upper edge most of the game, apart form the last 10 minutes where I was genuinely nervous, not because we have a bad defence, as we obviously don't , but purely because sitting back against Citeh is such a fecking stupid and dangerous tactic, we have to get a bit cuter with our play towards end of game, waste some time, take the ball into the corner etc not just lump it upfield for Citeh to create another attack.

Having said that the entire team played brilliantly, I was especially pleased for Mo who finally put in a good performance, just in time!

I really think this is our year barring a prolonged injury crises but even then I think we have really good cover these days, even the youngsters are of a decent quality.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #420: Nov 11, 2019 10:56:23 am
      It was a really good game and I felt we had the upper edge most of the game, apart form the last 10 minutes where I was genuinely nervous, not because we have a bad defence, as we obviously don't , but purely because sitting back against Citeh is such a fecking stupid and dangerous tactic, we have to get a bit cuter with our play towards end of game, waste some time, take the ball into the corner etc not just lump it upfield for Citeh to create another attack.

Having said that the entire team played brilliantly, I was especially pleased for Mo who finally put in a good performance, just in time!

I really think this is our year barring a prolonged injury crises but even then I think we have really good cover these days, even the youngsters are of a decent quality.

Moving Mane away from Sterling's side, when Ox came on, changed the game.
      Sterling had a lot more space up until Gomez was brought on, which then closed that off again.

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #421: Nov 11, 2019 11:07:09 am
      Awesome win . Great game of football
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #422: Nov 11, 2019 11:18:23 am
      Imagine if we had punished Mo by benching him from the start. Unimaginable.

Look at our tactics. U shaped defence with CBs deploying deep nearer to Alisson with wing backs pushing nearer the centre line. Playing the ball across the defence entices their forwards to chase down the ball which eventually wore them out and stretches their shape, eventually creating spaces behind their defence which we exploited by hitting long balls over everyone. Which is why Jürgen is a genius.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #423: Nov 11, 2019 12:05:37 pm
      Thought we were badly exposed on the right the last 25 mins in particular. 

My son & I were both screaming for Milner to get on Sterling on the touchline.  Was surprised Hendo got taken off as he was having a good game and providing better cover. 

Any of our tactical geeks got any insight on this; am I missing something?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #424: Nov 11, 2019 12:24:21 pm

My son & I were both screaming for Milner to get on Sterling on the touchline.  Was surprised Hendo got taken off as he was having a good game and providing better cover. 

Henderson was goosed mate. He'd been grafting very hard down that right hand side. I thought it was the right move. Same sort of graft from Milner so it didn't disrupt our shape.

What a boss game that was though. Pure footy at it's best and both teams not scared to have a go. Quality passing from both teams and brilliant play in between the lines.

The best team won on the day.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #425: Nov 11, 2019 12:48:14 pm

Think Hendo is carry some sort of illness, but you are right once he came off we were exposed more..
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #426: Nov 11, 2019 12:51:38 pm

Being sick didnt help Hendo, ran out of steam after an hour. Boy what an assist!

And thats why Jürgen was livid when they scored. Ox was on the touchline waiting to come on for Bobby, for that right winger role to help Trent deal with their left, Sterling and Angelino. The ball went out of play and we were expecting Oliver to stop the game to enable that sub but that didnt happen. And they scored in the next forward play.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #427: Nov 11, 2019 01:49:00 pm
      The thing that has got me, and no one has picked up on this, with the 1st hand ball claim, the ball drops at Agüero's feet, rather than playing on and trying to score, his instinct is to claim a Pen. If he'd played to the whistle, we would not have attacked and scored.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #428: Nov 11, 2019 01:50:24 pm
      The thing that has got me, and no one has picked up on this, with the 1st hand ball claim, the ball drops at Agüero's feet, rather than playing on and trying to score, his instinct is to claim a Pen. If he'd played to the whistle, we would not have attacked and scored.

Hadn't noticed that but it's going to add to the comic effect when I rewatch it!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #429: Nov 11, 2019 01:50:43 pm

I saw it, and meant to comment, but I was so engrossed in the match, I forgot.

It says a lot about his mindset imo
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #430: Nov 11, 2019 01:54:32 pm

If Aguero had scored, would that have been ruled out due to hitting Silva’s hand first ?.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #431: Nov 11, 2019 02:11:47 pm
      If Aguero had scored, would that have been ruled out due to hitting Silva’s hand first ?.

I guess so, as he was an attacker.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #432: Nov 11, 2019 02:12:15 pm
      I saw it, and meant to comment, but I was so engrossed in the match, I forgot.

It says a lot about his mindset imo

Yes it does.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #433: Nov 11, 2019 02:14:17 pm

From what was said on MOTD, if the handball (city) had lead to a goal, it would have been disallowed, but at the same time the previous handball didn't affect the decision about TAA's (not) handball.

All a bit confused.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #434: Nov 11, 2019 02:18:10 pm

Correct, but to your excellent point, if he keeps playing we don't go on the break. I've always appreciated the player who will just concentrate on fighting for possession, continuing the attack and trying to score. Presumably (theoretically) standing and waving his arms isn't what causes a penalty to be awarded, so what's the point in stopping?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #435: Nov 11, 2019 02:18:23 pm
      From what was said on MOTD, if the handball (city) had lead to a goal, it would have been disallowed, but at the same time the previous handball didn't affect the decision about TAA's (not) handball.

All a bit confused.

It's ruining the game, every sodding goal is dependent on some guy in a room.

It's a fast flowing sport, his armpit was offside, FFS, who scores with their armpit? Madness.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #436: Nov 11, 2019 02:23:26 pm
      It's ruining the game, every sodding goal is dependent on some guy in a room.

It's a fast flowing sport, his armpit was offside, FFS, who scores with their armpit? Madness.

The really irritating thing is that it works OK in other countries, but as usual, the ref lobby group have used it to increase protection for their members.

It really is a shameful state of affairs how the powers that be manage to F**k everything up playing silly political power games.

Quick Reply