Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (1.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      6 (4.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (4.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (3.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      30 (22.4%)
       Fabinho
      78 (58.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Voting closed: Nov 14, 2019 06:23:58 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29433 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Nov 11, 2019 02:26:55 pm
      It's ruining the game, every sodding goal is dependent on some guy in a room.

It's a fast flowing sport, his armpit was offside, FFS, who scores with their armpit? Madness.

Part of what this speaks to is the need to revisit the offside rule altogether, not just the VAR interpretation of it. Was the spirit of that rule meant to penalize armpit hair, or jersey sleeves? There's always going to be a decision to make I get it, but the whole method of defending by playing traps to make somebody off by an inch shouldn't really be what attacking and defending are about, for me.

But you are absolutely correct, the current manifestation of how this is being applied, in England at least, is a total buzzkill.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #438: Nov 11, 2019 02:30:13 pm
      If Aguero had scored, would that have been ruled out due to hitting Silva’s hand first ?.

Yep, the goal would have been ruled out cos of Silva's handball.

And thats what irks me. PGMOL statement says "The VAR checked the penalty appeal for handball against Trent Alexander-Arnold and confirmed the on-field decision that it did not meet the considerations for a deliberate handball." They could have simply said it was not a deliberate handball cos it bounced off an attacking player's arm, and avoided all those unnatural position BS.

If anything, we were lucky that the ref didnt stop the play cos it hit Bernado's arm!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #439: Nov 11, 2019 02:30:41 pm
      By the way, for all the discussion about we need to buy more depth in order to keep up with Man City. What is their "depth" in attack getting for them now?

How much did they pay for Mahrez? I didn't see him come on last night when they were behind by 2 or 3, did I?

Think there might be some grumbling in the City changing room these days?

Jürgen has the plan to win it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #440: Nov 11, 2019 03:14:50 pm
      If Aguero had scored, would that have been ruled out due to hitting Silva’s hand first ?.

Yes
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #441: Nov 11, 2019 03:17:15 pm
      Yep, the goal would have been ruled out cos of Silva's handball.

And thats what irks me. PGMOL statement says "The VAR checked the penalty appeal for handball against Trent Alexander-Arnold and confirmed the on-field decision that it did not meet the considerations for a deliberate handball." They could have simply said it was not a deliberate handball cos it bounced off an attacking player's arm, and avoided all those unnatural position BS.

If anything, we were lucky that the ref didnt stop the play cos it hit Bernado's arm!

If it's taken back through the steps then it was a great call.
      No Trent handball because deflection is from Silva's hand.
      Silva handball potentially a free out, advantage played.

Ball breaks to Fabinho!!!!!!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #442: Nov 11, 2019 03:19:03 pm

Can’t see any grounds why City would be upset for a disallowed pen resulting from Silva’s hand to Trents arm/hip...more deflection from Pep after they conceded from the immediate counter break..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #443: Nov 11, 2019 03:21:25 pm
      Can’t see any grounds why City would be upset for a disallowed pen resulting from Silva’s hand to Trents arm/hip...more deflection from Pep after they conceded from the immediate counter break..

Rule 101. Keep playing until you hear the whistle.

Aguero stopped to demand a penalty, triggering the others to do likewise.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #444: Nov 11, 2019 04:03:44 pm
      What a performance by everyone. We needed it!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #445: Nov 11, 2019 04:09:56 pm
      If it's taken back through the steps then it was a great call.
      No Trent handball because deflection is from Silva's hand.
      Silva handball potentially a free out, advantage played.

Ball breaks to Fabinho!!!!!!

PGMOL say the decision was based on Trents arm being in a natural position and nothing to do with the hand ball by Silva before it.

It was one I would want given if it were the other way around, but it was a call I'll gladly accept on this occasion.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #446: Nov 11, 2019 04:10:22 pm
      GOOD TIMES. :-)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #447: Nov 11, 2019 04:19:18 pm
      PGMOL say the decision was based on Trents arm being in a natural position and nothing to do with the hand ball by Silva before it.

It was one I would want given if it were the other way around, but it was a call I'll gladly accept on this occasion.

Has to be intentional, unnatural position, for the defender to get handball.
      Only way it's given as a handball for accidental or otherwise if it's a handball in the run up to City scoring.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #448: Nov 11, 2019 04:29:48 pm
      The really irritating thing is that it works OK in other countries, but as usual, the ref lobby group have used it to increase protection for their members.

It really is a shameful state of affairs how the powers that be manage to f**k everything up playing silly political power games.

Much smoother in Germany - agreed.

What is a more powerful lobby in English football - the referees or the managers and coaches?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #449: Nov 11, 2019 05:05:25 pm
      That baldy Pip is turning into a right bitter tw*t.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #450: Nov 11, 2019 05:09:25 pm
      Boss win yesterday and a massive statement sent to them scruffs that we mean business. Absolute superb goals and some proper "mentality giant" approach from our players.

They know what it means!

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #451: Nov 11, 2019 06:22:10 pm
      Much smoother in Germany - agreed.

What is a more powerful lobby in English football - the referees or the managers and coaches?

Refs.

They are the face of the football "establishment" and as is the English way, close ranks to avoid or dismiss criticism.

They may pay lip service to listening to managers/coaches, but that's all it is.
      Football is the cash cow that keeps on giving.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #452: Nov 11, 2019 07:06:45 pm
      Fantastic performance, fantastic result.

Surprised at seeing so many neutrals comment on how well City played. I thought we targeted their weaknesses well but more importantly, we dealt with their strengths.

Apart from a couple of dangerous set pieces they put into the box I can't really remember them having many openings or changes. I can't remember Alisson having to pull off any world class saves or our defenders launching themselves infront of the ball or making last ditch tackles.

I thought klopp got his tactics spot on and got the better of pep and it's that simple.

Got to laugh at all the VAR idiots claiming the league is bent and it favours us. Rewind to last season and the same people said as soon as var is introduced Liverpool won't be anywhere near the top because of how lucky and spawny we are. And now VAR favours us and the officials are bent. The jealousy and bitterness amongst other fans is F***ing boss, it makes me horny. Just accept we're the best team in the league dick heads.

Back to the game and it was just one of those matches were everybody pulled their weight and played a part. Nobody had a poor game, eleven hero's on the pitch who gave it their all and who wanted it more than they did. Nothing else to say. It was a great performance, well done lads.

9 points clear of city now. With their slug back four they will drop more points in the next few weeks (they have some very tough games coming up). That means we will have to lose 4-5 games minimum for them to catch us.  I'm not getting carried away and but as long as Jürgen and the boys keep focused and keep their nerve then we will win the title this season.

This team is special. This club is special.

Final note, brilliant to see Sean cox at the game too.

+14
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #453: Nov 11, 2019 07:14:52 pm
      Final note, brilliant to see Sean cox at the game too

Brilliant to see you back as well, mate. Hope you're well.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #454: Nov 11, 2019 07:20:29 pm
      To be honest, I think Leicester pose more of a threat than City now. 😁
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #455: Nov 11, 2019 08:43:54 pm
      A lot of the comment in this and the pre match thread was how to keep De bruyne out of it and quite a few knocking the Hendo pick. I was one who warned about DB but I never have a pop at Hendo.

Although I admit Hendo can be frustrating at times (what player isn't) but we have to back him not knock him.The cross for the Mane goal was quality, probably best he's ever put over. This lad has been through a lot, taken stick from his own fans..(and he knows..)..but never retaliates, gives everything, never hides.

I don't kid myself, the Hendo critics will say he's overachieved and will still have a pop at him no matter what.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #456: Nov 11, 2019 08:57:06 pm
      A lot of the comment in this and the pre match thread was how to keep De bruyne out of it and quite a few knocking the Hendo pick. I was one who warned about DB but I never have a pop at Hendo.

Although I admit Hendo can be frustrating at times (what player isn't) but we have to back him not knock him.The cross for the Mane goal was quality, probably best he's ever put over. This lad has been through a lot, taken stick from his own fans..(and he knows..)..but never retaliates, gives everything, never hides.

I don't kid myself, the Hendo critics will say he's overachieved and will still have a pop at him no matter what.

Have to say I’m not a huge fan of .Hendo, because I think he’s not forward geared. He has had a few games where he’s forced the game with forward thrusts, but they arent often enough in my opinion. With Fab now the designated ‘holder’ I was expecting more from Hendo going forwards.
      That aside, he had a near faultless game yesterday snd was subbed because he’d clearly run himself into the ground.
      And that cross to Mane was near perfect.
      Hope we see more performances like it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #457: Nov 11, 2019 09:00:56 pm
      As for Debruyne, collectively, I think he had at best, 15 mins where he was making an impact. The other 75, pretty ineffective. Job done 😁
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #458: Nov 11, 2019 09:41:46 pm
      Have to say I’m not a huge fan of .Hendo, because I think he’s not forward geared. He has had a few games where he’s forced the game with forward thrusts, but they arent often enough in my opinion. With Fab now the designated ‘holder’ I was expecting more from Hendo going forwards.
      That aside, he had a near faultless game yesterday snd was subbed because he’d clearly run himself into the ground.
      And that cross to Mane was near perfect.
      Hope we see more performances like it.

That's fair enough.Nobody is above criticism, just think the Boss's decision to play Hendo must be respected and a little more support generally for Hendo wouldn't go amiss.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #459: Nov 11, 2019 09:55:56 pm
      Hendo, Fab and Gini are the trusted midfield 3. If it's a big game then they play. If one of those misses out then I actually think Milner is the next cab off the rank in big games. Klopp likes his solidity.

The only aside to that really is I have a feeling if one of the full backs were out, he would put Milner in that position and due to losing some attacking flair from full back would go with Ox to add some more attacking threat.

If everyone is fit and we're not looking ahead to future games though then this is his settled midfield.

Nothing to worry about for Ox, Milner and Keita though because with our rammed schedule theres enough games to go around to keep everyone interested.

Long term, Naby is the worry. Not that I think we should sell because hes a handy player to be 5th or 6th in line, but he may want more than that himself.

I wonder if Grujic fits more into the mould of a solid CM that we seem to favour at the moment.

Quick Reply