Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Evolution Of Liverpool's Goalscorer Over The Past Decade

Read 3113 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      The Evolution Of Liverpool's Goalscorer Over The Past Decade
      Nov 11, 2019 01:37:06 am
      Today saw Mo Salah score his 80th Liverpool goal. That is just one less than Fernando Torres and two behind Luis Suarez, undoubtedly our best two goalscorers in the past decade.

But the three of them are completely different forwards with one attribute in common - how to score goals at an incredibly frequent rate.

Fernando Torres 2007-2011

Torres was here first and was just the best finisher in world football as far as I was concerned at the time. Hit the ground running and never looked back. He was a goalscorer in every sense of the word. Could finish anything. And for me the best finisher I've seen in a Liverpool shirt after Robbie Fowler. Don't worry about anything else but being in and around the 18 yard box because that's where you're at your most dangerous. Broke record after record during his time here - primarily playing up top on his own.

Luis Suarez 2011-2014

Then Suarez arrived. And he took his time to find his feet in a Liverpool shirt but once he did, F***ing hell did he sink his teeth into it. Almost the complete forward. Wasn't your traditional forward but a bit more of the modern forward. Worked his bollocks off for the cause. Assisted as many as he scored. Gave some honour back to the number 7 shirt. Carried the team at times. Didn't matter where the ball was on the pitch, he wanted it. An absolute c**t of a player to play against but while he was in our colours, it was almost impossible not to love him. Another man who broke so many records while he was here - primarily playing up top as a pair with Sturridge.

Mo Salah 2017-

And now there's Mo Salah. Again, a different type of forward to those before him. They were more central whereas he's a wide man who scores and scores and scores. Suarez got his 82 goals in 133 games, Torres' 81 goals came in 142 games. Mo has played just 121 and is already within touching distance of both. Unplayable at his best and still close to exceptional at his worst. Scores wonderful individual goals, caps off exceptional team goals, right foot (once in a while) the odd header and countless left foot finishes. And I don't know if there's a record that he hasn't broken yet - primarily playing up top as part of a front three with Firmino and Mane.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: The Evolution Of Liverpool's Goalscorer Over The Past Decade
      Reply #1: Nov 11, 2019 02:06:39 am
      Today saw Mo Salah score his 80th Liverpool goal. That is just one less than Fernando Torres and two behind Luis Suarez, undoubtedly our best two goalscorers in the past decade.

But the three of them are completely different forwards with one attribute in common - how to score goals at an incredibly frequent rate.

Fernando Torres 2007-2011

Torres was here first and was just the best finisher in world football as far as I was concerned at the time. Hit the ground running and never looked back. He was a goalscorer in every sense of the word. Could finish anything. And for me the best finisher I've seen in a Liverpool shirt after Robbie Fowler. Don't worry about anything else but being in and around the 18 yard box because that's where you're at your most dangerous. Broke record after record during his time here - primarily playing up top on his own.

Luis Suarez 2011-2014

Then Suarez arrived. And he took his time to find his feet in a Liverpool shirt but once he did, f**king hell did he sink his teeth into it. Almost the complete forward. Wasn't your traditional forward but a bit more of the modern forward. Worked his bollocks off for the cause. Assisted as many as he scored. Gave some honour back to the number 7 shirt. Carried the team at times. Didn't matter where the ball was on the pitch, he wanted it. An absolute c**t of a player to play against but while he was in our colours, it was almost impossible not to love him. Another man who broke so many records while he was here - primarily playing up top as a pair with Sturridge.

Mo Salah 2017-

And now there's Mo Salah. Again, a different type of forward to those before him. They were more central whereas he's a wide man who scores and scores and scores. Suarez got his 82 goals in 133 games, Torres' 81 goals came in 142 games. Mo has played just 121 and is already within touching distance of both. Unplayable at his best and still close to exceptional at his worst. Scores wonderful individual goals, caps off exceptional team goals, right foot (once in a while) the odd header and countless left foot finishes. And I don't know if there's a record that he hasn't broken yet - primarily playing up top as part of a front three with Firmino and Mane.

You always give great insight with these posts. Thanks.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2: Nov 11, 2019 08:56:04 pm
      Interesting thread.

The major goalscorers in my time have been Fowler (named my goldfish after him when I about 6 :D ), Owen, Torres, Suarez and now Salah.

I think Suarez redefined what we thought was possible from a Liverpool forward, his level imo was beyond that of even Torres and he brought new levels of consistency to the role.

At times though, they were one man shows. With Mo he is a product of a system that gets the best from him but is without a doubt our best player I think (and given our standard that is saying something).

Will be interesting to see where the role goes in future, but right now, I think Mo is the most dangerous forward I’ve ever seen. As the OP says, even at his worst he is exceptional and he stretches defences all over the place.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Nov 11, 2019 09:59:42 pm
      The goal poachers as they were once called.Roger Hunt being the archetypal poacher. Today called predatory/fox in the box/clinical finisher. They can play the numbers game, get on the end of enough chances and the numbers can rack up.

Scorers like Suarez and Salah can obviously finish a move but they are more creative strikers that predatory.They produce goals by their individual brilliance, improvised, imaginative and highly skilled.Sometimes from next to nothing. Have one of them in your team and you always have a chance.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Nov 11, 2019 10:02:48 pm
      No mention of the brief interlude between Suarez and Mo consisting of Balotelli, Benteke, Lambert and Borini ;D
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Nov 11, 2019 10:21:48 pm
      No mention of the brief interlude between Suarez and Mo consisting of Balotelli, Benteke, Lambert and Borini ;D

Should be a 50 goal minimum for inclusion in the thread. Can't make an assessment on less that that.I liked Ricky Lambert but the other 3 you mention would probably make the list of the worst 10 scores we've had here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: Nov 23, 2019 01:43:05 pm
      Any thread of goal scorers at Liverpool should begin with THE number one hitman.

Ian Rush
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #7: Nov 23, 2019 08:21:44 pm

The lads

RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #8: Nov 24, 2019 06:53:27 pm

F**k me, dunno what’s worse, the 0 goals or only 16 shots on target between them in 888 minutes of footy!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #9: Dec 07, 2019 11:31:21 pm
      Mo's goal today has taken him level with Torres (and Terry Mc) on 81 goals and now sits just one behind Suarez and establishing himself well and truly in our top 20 goalscorers.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #10: Dec 10, 2019 07:56:20 pm
      Mo's 82nd goal for Liverpool, level now with Suarez.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Dec 10, 2019 07:57:04 pm
      Mo's 82nd goal for Liverpool, level now with Suarez.

Salah = a legend for the ages.

The other...just a footnote.

Quick Reply