Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Next Crazy Stretch of Matches

Read 6583 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      The Next Crazy Stretch of Matches
      Nov 12, 2019 04:45:48 pm
      After the International Break it will be :

Saturday Nov. 23 - At Crystal Palace (PL)
      Wednesday Nov. 27 - vs. Napoli (CL)
      Saturday Nov. 30 - vs. Brighton (PL)
      Wednesday Dec. 4 - vs. Everton (PL)
      Saturday Dec. 7 - at Bournemouth (PL)
      Tuesday Dec. 10 - at Salzburg (CL)
      Saturday Dec. 14 - vs. Watford (PL)
      Tuesday Dec. 17 - vs. Aston Villa (League Cup - alternative squad)
      Wednesday Dec. 18 - Club World Cup semifinal
      Saturday Dec. 21 - Club World Cup final or 3/4 game.
      Thursday Dec. 26 - at Leicester (PL)
      Sunday Dec. 29 - vs. Wolves (PL)
      Thursday Jan. 2 - vs. Sheffield United (PL)
      Jan 4/5 - TBA (FA Cup 3rd Round)

13 Games in 44 days boys and girls (not counting the League Cup game).

I see already we are talking about players missing the opening game of that stretch, with both Robbo and Mo ruled questionable for Palace, and I think both missing their international matches even though they traveled to join the respective squads.

I look at this and while it's crazy busy for sure, I think with our squad we could actually win all 13 of the games. Rotation will be needed, and it's hard to imagine there won't be some fitness issues during this stretch, but as there's not a team in the world we need to fear, it's fair to think we could win every one of these.

Napoli is probably the toughest of the lot, but our first choice players will want to show their best performance after what is now the only blemish on our record this season. Everton is huge of course, and Leicester away will be a stern test, but I really do think we could win the whole lot.

By the way, I'm not prepared to concede that League Cup tie with so many of our U23s playing. That group should have a fair bit of confidence by now as well. It will be a tall order without the steadying hand of a Milner, Gomez or Origi on board, but I wouldn't rule out our young lads winning.

But back to the other 13 matches, what a feat winning all of them would be, yeah? Wonder what the odds would be for that.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: The Next Crazy Stretch of Matches
      Reply #1: Nov 12, 2019 06:31:26 pm
      To much to think about,just gotta worry about Palace.They"re not in great form and would love to F**k us over no?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Nov 12, 2019 06:51:00 pm
      To much to think about,just gotta worry about Palace.They"re not in great form and would love to f**k us over no?

Sure they would.

I understand the playing staff's focus will be on one match - the next one - but I'd be willing to bet the management team, including the sports science people, have some plans about managing the workload for the various players. It wouldn't be entirely scripted through January 5th or whatever, but the fixture list in and of itself is a challenge that has to be approached with care.

Counting the Charity Shield, we've played 20 competitive matches so far this season, winning 15, drawing four and losing just once. Two of those draws we won (League Cup and Super Cup) and one we dropped (Charity Shield).

If we do the same over the next 20 matches (that takes us through Norwich City away on Feb. 8, into the 5th round of the FA cup and right up to the knockout rounds of the Champions League), we would be on the brink of a most historic season. I couldn't be more confident in Jürgen and the team to deliver.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Nov 12, 2019 09:24:03 pm
      Just have to take it one game at a time, not that there is any time to think ahead anyway.

Last season we had a busy schedule over December and I think we won every game. Here’s hoping we can do it again and add a second piece of silverware to our season so far in the process.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4: Nov 12, 2019 09:56:19 pm
      More games the more focused we are..

Bring it!.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Nov 13, 2019 12:54:28 am
      OGAAT
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Nov 13, 2019 01:17:38 am
      More games the more focused we are..

Bring it!.

After these internationals we won't have to wait more than four days for the next game for almost the next two months. Enjoy every minute of it everyone.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #7: Nov 13, 2019 05:12:03 am
      Salah and Robertson out of internationals. Give the pair a good 2 week rest before this mad run starts.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #8: Nov 13, 2019 05:41:57 am
      I think the fixtures are laid out well where some games Klopp would be more comfortable playing squad players then his strongest XI. If we can the 3 points vs Napoli to allow us to pretty much rest all out first team players vs Red Bull will make things less difficult. I look at the period of RB Salzburg, Watford, CWC Semi-finals as a good period rest if key players need to be rested before we go into CWC final and Leicester City (Basing this on the hope we get 3 points vs Napoli)

I just looking forward to having so many games to watch over the next couple of months.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #9: Nov 13, 2019 08:23:45 am
      With our squad we should be OK, will be tough for teams like Chelsea and Leicester though, if they are still in touch in January I'll start to get a bit nervous.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #10: Nov 13, 2019 08:55:32 am
      After these internationals we won't have to wait more than four days for the next game for almost the next two months. Enjoy every minute of it everyone.

& thankfully no warm weather training camps 😎

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #11: Nov 13, 2019 09:14:51 am
      Nice 3 games period at home after palace - lovely
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #12: Nov 13, 2019 09:32:01 am
      At some point klopp will have to bring the fringe players in before it gets forced upon him. I'm talking about players such as keita,  lallana, gomez, shaqiri(I know he's injured).
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #13: Nov 13, 2019 10:58:14 am
      At some point klopp will have to bring the fringe players in before it gets forced upon him. I'm talking about players such as keita,  lallana, gomez, shaqiri(I know he's injured).

You mean all players who have had minutes this season, besides Shaq?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14: Nov 13, 2019 11:34:45 am
      You mean all players who have had minutes this season, besides Shaq?

Yeah, he's already doing this.
      Harrisimo

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Nov 13, 2019 12:01:20 pm
      Leicester away on boxing day will be tough...full of turkey and christmas pudding...bellyache all round..
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #16: Nov 13, 2019 12:19:07 pm

More so. Origi too
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Nov 13, 2019 12:34:42 pm
      Leicester away on boxing day will be tough...full of turkey and christmas pudding...bellyache all round..

Yes that could be a tough game, but hopefully after the Xmas period of games they might be getting a bit knackered by then.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #18: Nov 13, 2019 12:44:12 pm
      13 Games in 44 days boys and girls (not counting the League Cup game).

I'm thinking 10 fullish strength games in those 44 days.  I don't picture anyone playing more than 11 games maximum, and that would probably only be van Dijk and Allisson.

Salzburg one is a bit up in the air - there is substantial prize money at stake even if we manage to beat Napoli.

In reality however I look at that fixture list and I can see only 8 games the Liverpool players should be 100% focussed on and that's the Premier League games.

I do not expect us to be flawless, and we have bought ourselves a bit of space.  50 points before the end of 2019 would be hugely impressive and is a realistic target.  If we were to reach that after the Leicester game then I don't see how anyone is catching us.

This is the calm before the storm.  Might even get my Christmas tree up now.
      Harrisimo

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2019 01:27:31 pm
      Yeah we've got 8 PL games in those 44 days. Leicester away arguably the hardest. Boxing day does throw up some strange results.

Looking at Mancheater City and their PL fixture list:

23rd Nov. Chelsea H
      30th Nov. Newcastle A
      03 Dec. Burnley A
      07. Mancheater U. H
      15Dec. Arsenal A
      21st Dec. Leicester H
      27Dec. Wolves. A
      29th Dec.Everton H

Our next 8 look, on paper, easier for sure. Few tough games in there, if we hold our form we could increase our lead over them.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2019 01:29:02 pm

Let alone dealing with the lens flare from the floodlights off Brendan, Klopp and Bobby's teeth.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #21: Nov 13, 2019 01:46:05 pm
      If we beat Napoli we are guaranteed top spot so we could rest a lot for the final group game. Winning that Napoli game is key.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Nov 13, 2019 02:25:32 pm
      I'm thinking 10 fullish strength games in those 44 days.  I don't picture anyone playing more than 11 games maximum, and that would probably only be van Dijk and Allisson.

Salzburg one is a bit up in the air - there is substantial prize money at stake even if we manage to beat Napoli.

In reality however I look at that fixture list and I can see only 8 games the Liverpool players should be 100% focussed on and that's the Premier League games.

I do not expect us to be flawless, and we have bought ourselves a bit of space.  50 points before the end of 2019 would be hugely impressive and is a realistic target.  If we were to reach that after the Leicester game then I don't see how anyone is catching us.

This is the calm before the storm.  Might even get my Christmas tree up now.

Was about to say the teams we play have the same fixture load, but I guess most of them don't have the European games or the 8800 round trip to Qatar, so no they don't.  :)

Anyone fancy an 8800-mile road trip to and from Qatar. You can drive there you know!

Quick Reply