Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Trouble at the back?

Read 7302 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Trouble at the back?
      Reply #46: Nov 26, 2019 11:00:08 am
      I think this could be nail on head, VVD is still a superb defender but he's not quite the superman of last year. I have no problem with trent and Robbo effectively being more winger than FB BUT if that's the case then they need to both start scoring some more goals, and actually its good to see that they have started to do this a bit more.

Our defence is still very very good, it just needs a little bit of fine tuning.

Would be nice to get 3-5 goals a season out of them, but the most creative full backs in the world owe us absolutely nothing more in attack.

In an attacking sense they are the best at what they do, and it's a joy to watch them do it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Nov 26, 2019 11:12:27 am
      I think this could be nail on head, VVD is still a superb defender but he's not quite the superman of last year. I have no problem with trent and Robbo effectively being more winger than FB BUT if that's the case then they need to both start scoring some more goals, and actually its good to see that they have started to do this a bit more.

Our defence is still very very good, it just needs a little bit of fine tuning.

Alisson transformed the team at the back last season.
      He was injured for the first eight games of this season.
      Matip was imperious at the back towards the end of last season.
      He's injured now.

Hopefully we see Matip back soon.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #48: Nov 26, 2019 11:35:52 am
      I know we're top of the league by 8 points and I know we're enjoying all these late winners.  But, has anyone got any ideas what's happened to our boss defence!?

https://twitter.com/lfcstats/status/1198954855655718913

Not worried. we started season with a backup goalie. Then Allison came back, and Matip got Injured. Not its Virgil & Lovren.

Just been a wee bit too many changes at the back.

And our full back s are pushing on so much, its leaves us a wee bit vulnerable.

Were still the 2nd best defense in the league.

Just imagine when we do start keeping clean sheets again. ;-)

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #49: Dec 03, 2019 02:08:40 am
      I don't think there's any more trouble at the back this year than last other than this year teams are taking the chances they're getting against us as opposed to missing them last year. We're not great defensively and haven't been for a very long time - despite what the records say.

Last season we had 99 shots on target against us over 38 games - 2.6 per game. This season there has been 42 shots on target in 14 games - 3 per game. It's not a major jump in the numbers. We're saving at .714% this season, compared to .778% last season. Again it's not a major difference.  (League only of course)

For me it really is just a case of teams being that little bit more clinical this year as opposed to last against us, which is why we're facing just slightly more shots per game and not saving quite as many as we did last year. And maybe that is down to teams identifying our, supposed, weaknesses at the back. Maybe it's down to the higher line we're deploying. Maybe it's down to an iffy defensive line on free kicks. Maybe it's down to not having our first choice keeper available for half the campaign. Maybe it's down to simple luck. Maybe it's a combination of some or all of the above.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,292 posts | 271 
      Reply #50: Dec 03, 2019 04:13:15 am
      I think the frightening thing for the rest of the PL is we can get better in defence and attack and look where we are already

Quick Reply