Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson
      1 (1.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      38 (64.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (6.8%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (6.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (3.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (6.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (5.1%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Dec 01, 2019 09:54:47 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20482 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Nov 27, 2019 11:41:32 pm
      Well then, big game performance  needed!

Par for the course isn't it. Klopp taking us to the brink again. On the plus side their defence at Anfield was pathetic..so I fancy us to get a result.

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2019 11:47:04 pm by Harrisimo »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #300: Nov 27, 2019 11:42:08 pm
      Dont want to rip team selection to bits some people needed rest but really surprised  Origi didnt get on through the middle

OK but rest players against Brighton maybe, not this game, Klopp fu**ed up tonight, he has to stop playing Gomez at RB unless it's seeing out a game and he has to have at least one creative midfielder in the side.
      If we carry on like this these last gasp wins will very quickly turn into draws or losses.
      I think we'll draw against Salzburg but with a more positive attitude from Jürgen we would have won the group tonight, I'm beyond pissed off with the manager tonight and I don't have a clue who to make man of the match.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #301: Nov 27, 2019 11:47:10 pm
      You are an A grade c**t sir.

On the performance poor first half much better in the second not too concerned we are playing the mighty Austrian champions to top the group it is all still in our hands.

What's that make you then?
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #302: Nov 27, 2019 11:47:19 pm
      Poor Joe Gomez, a shadow of himself now, you know before the broken foot injury last December
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #303: Nov 27, 2019 11:50:43 pm
      Par for the course isn't it. Klopp taking us to the brink again. On the plus side their defence at Anfield was pathetic..so I fancy us to get a result.

I fancy us to score but their attack is currently better than ours whilst our defence is better than theirs. I'd set us up ultra defensive and look to hit them on the counter.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #304: Nov 27, 2019 11:51:10 pm
      Poor Joe Gomez, a shadow of himself now, you know before the broken foot injury last December

Has he ever been good at RB?
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #305: Nov 27, 2019 11:54:49 pm

I think it's more that his best position is central but I admit he looks a bit shell shocked. Was he the right pick tonight. Think the Boss wasn't happy with TAA's defensive discipline in the last few games.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #306: Nov 27, 2019 11:59:50 pm
      I fancy us to score but their attack is currently better than ours whilst our defence is better than theirs. I'd set us up ultra defensive and look to hit them on the counter.

Could be the way to go.Mo can be lethal if he is given space to run at them. I mean Genk had nothing to play for so I'm not that impressed with their result. They should be worried about us, not the other way round but yes keep it tight, get into it and we should come thru.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #307: Nov 28, 2019 12:00:42 am
      Gomez isn’t Trent, defensively he’s stronger but he doesn’t offer much going forward. Trent was being rested strategically. What are you going to do? Always going to be a drop off from first choice to second choice. I was more disappointed in some of the first teamers that played like second teamers.

I guess it is what it is. Never have fancied the Hendo/Milner midfield but they weren’t really the issue tonight.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #308: Nov 28, 2019 12:04:24 am
      One thing that is pissing me off is all this feckin' nit picking every time a goal is scored. I mean VAR...OK...but this is feckin' overkill. It's getting to be a pain in the arse .
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #309: Nov 28, 2019 12:12:18 am
      Gomez isn’t Trent, defensively he’s stronger but he doesn’t offer much going forward. Trent was being rested strategically. What are you going to do? Always going to be a drop off from first choice to second choice. I was more disappointed in some of the first teamers that played like second teamers.

I guess it is what it is. Never have fancied the Hendo/Milner midfield but they weren’t really the issue tonight.

Fair enough. Not picking out Joe as the scapegoat.Others were not on song. The line up was a bit safe.Alex came on, Mo went inside closer to Bobby but very little was threaded thru, it went wide, or back into midfield. Got to give Mo the chance to turn the defender, make that yard of space. He did it once but the build up was far to peripheral, skirted around the area, to slow.

Carlo had Napoli well drilled and for the most part sat deep and we needed a bit of imagination, but we just couldn't find the spark to create a decent chance.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #310: Nov 28, 2019 12:16:23 am
      I dont mind a hard working midfield 3 when both Robbo and Trent are bombing forwards creating chances, but if one of those miss out due to injury or rotation, I think it would be better to start an Ox, Shaq, Keita or Lallana instead to pick up some of the attacking responsibility. When Gomez is RB we miss out on a big part of what makes us so difficult to contain. Gomez can do a job at RB if really needed too, but he cant do the job that Trent does.

I think we showed them too much respect in the end, they were never going to come to Anfield and tear through us, this was probably a better oppertunity than GW 6 to get a ball player into that midfield.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #311: Nov 28, 2019 12:36:36 am
      I dont mind a hard working midfield 3 when both Robbo and Trent are bombing forwards creating chances, but if one of those miss out due to injury or rotation, I think it would be better to start an Ox, Shaq, Keita or Lallana instead to pick up some of the attacking responsibility. When Gomez is RB we miss out on a big part of what makes us so difficult to contain. Gomez can do a job at RB if really needed too, but he cant do the job that Trent does.

I think we showed them too much respect in the end, they were never going to come to Anfield and tear through us, this was probably a better oppertunity than GW 6 to get a ball player into that midfield.

Could be claimed tonights midfield more suited to an away tie. But I'm loath to criticise the Boss on selection, he makes the calls and gets it right most of the time. Half time killed Mane, he was just getting going but stalled in the second half. Alex just didn't get or find the space to make a telling contribution.So we go down to the wire once again. dun dun der...
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #312: Nov 28, 2019 01:13:35 am
      Don’t think I’ve ever felt so terrified of a player as I do Virgil when he goes down.... scary when he stayed down tonight...
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #313: Nov 28, 2019 03:20:07 am
      OK but rest players against Brighton maybe, not this game, Klopp fu**ed up tonight, he has to stop playing Gomez at RB unless it's seeing out a game and he has to have at least one creative midfielder in the side.
      If we carry on like this these last gasp wins will very quickly turn into draws or losses.
      I think we'll draw against Salzburg but with a more positive attitude from Jürgen we would have won the group tonight, I'm beyond pissed off with the manager tonight and I don't have a clue who to make man of the match.

Well you finally pushed me over the edge to Ignore you. I'm sure you won't care because I think you post mainly to get a reaction.

We've played 22 matches, winning 18 (including 2 shootouts) losing two (including one shootout) and drawing two.

We're leading the league by 8 points with a record point total through 13 matches.

We're leading our group in the Champions League with one match to go.

We are alive in one Cup competition and won the SuperCup, but we did lose the Charity Shield on penalties.

And tonight we drew a match.   

But you just spray your miserable over-reaction in every direction, maligning some of our best players and the manager who has restored us to our rightful place as a leading club.

I just can no longer abide your meltdowns and passive-aggressive negativity in between the meltdowns. Try to enjoy the rest of a wonderful season more than you apparently did us winning the Champions League last season.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #314: Nov 28, 2019 06:38:29 am

I must agree,Joe seemed very unsure at times,mind you the team as a whole seemed unsure and lacked that killer punch going forward.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #315: Nov 28, 2019 07:55:25 am
      Well you finally pushed me over the edge to Ignore you. I'm sure you won't care because I think you post mainly to get a reaction.

We've played 22 matches, winning 18 (including 2 shootouts) losing two (including one shootout) and drawing two.

We're leading the league by 8 points with a record point total through 13 matches.

We're leading our group in the Champions League with one match to go.

We are alive in one Cup competition and won the SuperCup, but we did lose the Charity Shield on penalties.

And tonight we drew a match.   

But you just spray your miserable over-reaction in every direction, maligning some of our best players and the manager who has restored us to our rightful place as a leading club.

I just can no longer abide your meltdowns and passive-aggressive negativity in between the meltdowns. Try to enjoy the rest of a wonderful season more than you apparently did us winning the Champions League last season.

OK retreat to your safe space echo chamber then matey, if you were happy with that inexplicably negative team selection and crap performance yet again from Bobby and Mo and the midfield three then I'm happy for you, genuinely I am, but I wasn't and in fact its now quite a while that I've watched us play and gone Wow, we are on fire, the attack is meh, apart from Sadio, and the defence is not as solid as it was.
      Of course I am happy with our league position and perhaps I overreacted a bit yesterday but I am still angry at a missed opportunity and the fact we will have to play another game in a chaotic December with first teamers instead of fringe players.

Unless we turn a corner soon in terms of defence and attack we will start to draw and lose games, mark my words! All Klopp needs to do is to start playing a creative midfielder, someone who can add to the attack, for example if we had started the match with Fabinho, Hendo and the Ox in midfield and Trent as FB we would have won, I am100% certain of it.
      « Last Edit: Nov 28, 2019 08:05:13 am by heimdall »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #316: Nov 28, 2019 09:26:21 am
      Gave my Man of the match to Lovren, who headed in a superb equalizer, giving the Reds a draw, in otherwise a lacklustre performance, against Napoli last night.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #317: Nov 28, 2019 09:29:30 am
      It's been a long long time since a team came to Anfield, nicked a goal then stayed solid as a double decker bus, not even giving us a sniff.
      Mane and Mo had to fight for scraps and everytime Firmino got the ball they had four men on him straight away.
      We can bang on about how bad we were but we forget how disciplined Anchelotti's teams are in the CL.

It was a tough game and a frustrating one to watch after all of our glorious performances these last 12 months.

Just gotta hope that we can go to Salzburg and get a result.. Could be a proper nail biter that one !!

One final thing... apart from our goal, our corner taking is abysmal, whoever takes them.. :f_steam:

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #318: Nov 28, 2019 09:45:21 am
      It wouldn't be a Klopp Champions League run without taking it to the last group game. ;D

Very frustrating to watch of course, no one had a great game, but just take it as a compliment guys. We're so F***ing good that the only way to try and best us is to elbow our best defender, score quickly and then sit everyone behind the ball incredibly narrow. And even then you probably won't win.

Really really good teams like Napoli have to play like that because we're so good. Last night they got their goal, and then didn't leave their half. We just couldn't break them down more than once, which wasn't quite good enough for all three points.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #319: Nov 28, 2019 10:34:06 am
      Can’t quite believe the amount of flak Gomez has been getting..... he can’t play like Trent. No one can. Frankly I’d rather never see him at RB again. Just looks uncomfortable.

Salah looks like he needs about 3 weeks off. Considering we’ve got about 29 games in 3 weeks that’s not ideal..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #320: Nov 28, 2019 10:52:14 am
      It's been a long long time since a team came to Anfield, nicked a goal then stayed solid as a double decker bus, not even giving us a sniff.
      Mane and Mo had to fight for scraps and everytime Firmino got the ball they had four men on him straight away.
      We can bang on about how bad we were but we forget how disciplined Anchelotti's teams are in the CL.

It was a tough game and a frustrating one to watch after all of our glorious performances these last 12 months.

Just gotta hope that we can go to Salzburg and get a result.. Could be a proper nail biter that one !!

One final thing... apart from our goal, our corner taking is abysmal, whoever takes them.. :f_steam:

Set pieces in general are a joke, our freekick "clever plays" hardly ever work so whoever is in charge of that needs a rethink.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #321: Nov 28, 2019 10:54:51 am
      Can’t quite believe the amount of flak Gomez has been getting..... he can’t play like Trent. No one can. Frankly I’d rather never see him at RB again. Just looks uncomfortable.

Salah looks like he needs about 3 weeks off. Considering we’ve got about 29 games in 3 weeks that’s not ideal..

I dont blame Joe at all, he simply isn't a RB which makes it baffling why Jürgen played him there for the majority of the match. I love Klopp to bits but his one greatest flaw is inflexibility intra game and adjusting to tactical changes by the opposition.

Quick Reply