Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson
      1 (1.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      38 (64.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (6.8%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (6.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (3.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (6.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (5.1%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Dec 01, 2019 09:54:47 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20481 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Napoli: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Nov 29, 2019 12:06:10 am
      No one mentioning the stonewall penalty on Salah then? Some of the reactions in here given the broader context is embarrassing.

After the first half performance off that ref did you ever feel confident the c**t would give it?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #346: Nov 29, 2019 01:24:06 am
      After the first half performance off that ref did you ever feel confident the c**t would give it?

No but I thought VAR would have pulled it back.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #347: Nov 29, 2019 07:43:49 am
      No but I thought VAR would have pulled it back.

You can understand why players go down when shitty refs canā€™t do their job.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #348: Nov 29, 2019 08:00:57 am
      But despite your assertion that ā€œKlopp has to have at least one creative midfielder in the teamā€ he has somehow managed to steer us to big ears number 6, a 97 point season and an unbeaten start to this one with an 8 point gap to boot. And this is without featuring one of the creative midfielders you are alluding too? How the hell has JĆ¼rgen managed it? You massively underplay the contributions of Henderson, Gino, Fab and Milner. As for the ā€œKlopp fu**ed tonightā€ comment what a ridiculous thing to say. We drew against a top side who defended superbly and featuring a defender who is playing as well as VVD. Still top of the group, destiny in our own hands. Regardless of what happens in the next game most would have taken meddling a point vs an Austrian in the last game if it was offered. What a f**k up from the manager eh! He made some comments after the game yesterday about us not now being to have ā€œa big holiday gameā€ where everybody can take a rest and then pointed out that football is not like this. football isnā€™t like that. Sometimes you draw games.

Sorry but starting Gomez as RB was a f**k up, starting Henderson and Milner together in midfield is a f**k up as it simply never works and always creates a dull and passive midfield which doesn't link up well with the forwards.

We should have won the match against Napoli at home or are you suggesting that they are simply superior to us, the European champions?
      We now have one more competitive game to play in an already crowded December schedule, if you honestly don't see all that as a f**k up then I'd love to hear your reasoning.

One final point, its not the result which irritates me as much as the team selection, I'm fully aware that you sometimes draw games, but at least play your best team, on Wednesday we didn't.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #349: Nov 29, 2019 09:32:17 am
      F***ing hell, can't wait to see what it's like on here when we actually manage to lose a game  :lmao:

Scrappy performance and to be fair, I'd say we were lucky to come away with the draw in terms of chances created. Sub-par performance, sub-par atmosphere, just one of those weird nights where you could tell it was going to be a rough one pretty early on.

Thought Napoli were impressive & well drilled and that's something we've unfortunately got to get used to now - Being European Champions teams are going to raise their game against us and find an extra 5 percent because playing Liverpool is a somewhat of a spectacle to them. That's my only worry with the Salzburg game. Once you factor in the prospect of them also qualifying for the knockouts with a win it's shaping up to be one of the biggest games in their recent history so we just need to be focused, get the job done and try not to play to the occasion.

I've not seen any replays of the Salah penalty shout but from where I was sat (opposite end of the ground bearing in mind) it looked a penalty all day - was this the case? Also does anybody know why didn't it get pulled back for a VAR review at the least?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #350: Nov 29, 2019 10:28:45 am
      Sorry but starting Gomez as RB was a f**k up, starting Henderson and Milner together in midfield is a f**k up as it simply never works and always creates a dull and passive midfield which doesn't link up well with the forwards

I would have preferred TAA to start the game of course but it's hardly a F**k up. Gomez has played numerous times at RB under Klopp and done quite well in the position. Klopp sees him week in week out and just maybe he is trying to protect Trent a little bit for the coming games? I don't know i'm not the manager. Does he place greater importance on the Brighton game at the weekend? You have suggested several times that it was a given that if players were rested it should have been at the weekend. Personally I want the title over and above everything else. If I had to take a loss against Napoli or a loss against Brighton i'd take the Napoli game all day.  Would it have still been a F**k up if we had gone on to win the game? Hindsight is always a lovely thing.

We should have won the match against Napoli at home or are you suggesting that they are simply superior to us, the European champions? We now have one more competitive game to play in an already crowded December schedule, if you honestly don't see all that as a f**k up then I'd love to hear your reasoning

I don't think they are superior to us but they are a very good side, beat us 2-0 at their place last year, again this year and we only just got past them last year. WE could quite possibly have ended up with exactly same the result even if Klopp had selected a side that met your requirements. As for the extra game in our schedule just listen to our manager, he sarcastically mocked the media and moaners such as yourself by apologising that we do not have "a big holiday game" now at Salzburg. You can criticise Klopp for playing conservative midfield partnership but you have to accept that he has (by and large) played with similar midfield combinations for the best part of 18 months and achieved some incredible results so how can you question it with such confidence and call it a F**k up when it doesn't quite go to plan and draw a game?

One final point, its not the result which irritates me as much as the team selection, I'm fully aware that you sometimes draw games, but at least play your best team, on Wednesday we didn't.

Play your best team???? Your the one who has been calling for Salah to be dropped because his form hasn't met your lofty requirements. You completely miss what Salah brings to the team even if he isn't on song. The effect he has on the opposition's shape and position, the way defenders and middies cheat across in panic when he is on the ball and the extra space it gives to Mane on the side. You were pushing for Ox to play there (which he can't).
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #351: Nov 29, 2019 10:54:22 am
      I would have preferred TAA to start the game of course but it's hardly a f**k up. Gomez has played numerous times at RB under Klopp and done quite well in the position. Klopp sees him week in week out and just maybe he is trying to protect Trent a little bit for the coming games? I don't know i'm not the manager. Does he place greater importance on the Brighton game at the weekend? You have suggested several times that it was a given that if players were rested it should have been at the weekend. Personally I want the title over and above everything else. If I had to take a loss against Napoli or a loss against Brighton i'd take the Napoli game all day.  Would it have still been a f**k up if we had gone on to win the game? Hindsight is always a lovely thing.
      I don't think they are superior to us but they are a very good side, beat us 2-0 at their place last year, again this year and we only just got past them last year. WE could quite possibly have ended up with exactly same the result even if Klopp had selected a side that met your requirements. As for the extra game in our schedule just listen to our manager, he sarcastically mocked the media and moaners such as yourself by apologising that we do not have "a big holiday game" now at Salzburg. You can criticise Klopp for playing conservative midfield partnership but you have to accept that he has (by and large) played with similar midfield combinations for the best part of 18 months and achieved some incredible results so how can you question it with such confidence and call it a f**k up when it doesn't quite go to plan and draw a game?

Play your best team???? Your the one who has been calling for Salah to be dropped because his form hasn't met your lofty requirements. You completely miss what Salah brings to the team even if he isn't on song. The effect he has on the opposition's shape and position, the way defenders and middies cheat across in panic when he is on the ball and the extra space it gives to Mane on the side. You were pushing for Ox to play there (which he can't).

Your final paragraph makes no sense based on the fact you concede earlier that Trent is a better option as RB than Gomez. By the way IF we had a top quality 4th forward then I'd be screaming for Salah to be dropped as hes clearly not fit, physically plus possibly also mentally, at the moment. Unfortunately we didn't strengthen in the summer so we don't have many options, Origi is not a top quality forward  I have no idea what's happened to the bright young thing Brewster and Ox is still quite erratic, we just have to hope and pray that Salah rediscovers some form and that Mane stays injury free. In fairness Salah was very good against Citeh but its only the odd game these days, but hopefully its more down to this niggling ankle injury and he soon gets into his stride.

Anyway I still remain very optimistic about the team, we are in a great position in the league and still in a good position in the CL group so I don't have much to grumble about really.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #352: Nov 29, 2019 11:27:17 am
      Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Fabinho.
      3 of those 4 always start big games.

Why?
      To keep the centre tight, to win the ball back high up, to protect the space behind our FB's

Working the opposition, wearing them down, tiring them out, is a big part of Klopps system.
      When the opposition get a bit leggy, and we haven't scored, that's when he brings on a player who is fresh to attack the gaps that start to appear.
      He'll also change formations, to a 442, 4231, 541.

If we score early, he will keep the same system, and stifle the opponents to try and prevent counters and deny them space to build, also sometimes changing the formation depending on the time left and the opposition.

He's done this for a couple of years.
      It's got us to 2 CL finals with one win, and 97 points in the league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #353: Nov 29, 2019 11:39:12 am
      Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Fabinho.
      3 of those 4 always start big games.

Why?
      To keep the centre tight, to win the ball back high up, to protect the space behind our FB's

Working the opposition, wearing them down, tiring them out, is a big part of Klopps system.
      When the opposition get a bit leggy, and we haven't scored, that's when he brings on a player who is fresh to attack the gaps that start to appear.
      He'll also change formations, to a 442, 4231, 541.

If we score early, he will keep the same system, and stifle the opponents to try and prevent counters and deny them space to build, also sometimes changing the formation depending on the time left and the opposition.

He's done this for a couple of years.
      It's got us to 2 CL finals with one win, and 97 points in the league.

and now teams are starting to adapt to it, knowing that if they mark the forwards then there is almost zero threat from the midfield. Just because a tactic works in the past does not mean it will always continue to work in the future, you have to be flexible in football and adapt. If we played the Ox or Lallana or Shaq as an AM then it would create real headaches for the opposition defence, yes we might be slightly more vulnerable ourselves although I suspect not really as long awe are well drilled and organised.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #354: Nov 29, 2019 12:14:17 pm
      Anyway I still remain very optimistic about the team, we are in a great position in the league and still in a good position in the CL group so I don't have much to grumble about really.

The irony of this surely isn't lost on you?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #355: Nov 29, 2019 01:14:43 pm
      and now teams are starting to adapt to it, knowing that if they mark the forwards then there is almost zero threat from the midfield. Just because a tactic works in the past does not mean it will always continue to work in the future, you have to be flexible in football and adapt. If we played the Ox or Lallana or Shaq as an AM then it would create real headaches for the opposition defence, yes we might be slightly more vulnerable ourselves although I suspect not really as long awe are well drilled and organised.

That's not entirely true though is it?

We won the City game 3-1. First goal scored by Fabinho,2nd goal made after a brilliant run and cross from Henderson.

It was only 2 league games ago. As for teams changing tactics. Sitting deep and marking our forwards? I think they've been doing that for quite a while now. Lets not pretend everybody has suddenly stumbled on a new formula for blunting Klopp's approach.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #356: Nov 29, 2019 04:13:00 pm
      The irony of this surely isn't lost on you?

Its not irony, its me realising I've perhaps gone a bit over the top in the grumbling the last few days, kind of an apology, but perhaps a bit to subtle.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #357: Nov 29, 2019 04:15:32 pm
      That's not entirely true though is it?

We won the City game 3-1. First goal scored by Fabinho,2nd goal made after a brilliant run and cross from Henderson.

It was only 2 league games ago. As for teams changing tactics. Sitting deep and marking our forwards? I think they've been doing that for quite a while now. Lets not pretend everybody has suddenly stumbled on a new formula for blunting Klopp's approach.

As I mentioned the City game was a fantastic performance, but Palace and Napoli were poor performances and Villa was a poor performance and Utd and quite a few others.  We are winning games at the moment but not convincingly, that worries me and I see the problem being a very passive midfield which does not link up well enough with the attack. You disagree and that is fine.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #358: Nov 30, 2019 08:59:09 am
      Quote from Harrisimo
      Article 17 of Champions league rules sets out the different permutations. The results between the 2 teams involved decides who goes thru. 1-0 would put us on 4 goals each and they go thru by virtue of scoring 3 at Anfield. That remains the same situation if they win by one goal...1-0, 2-1,3-2...but 4-3 and other results come into play...as we have both scored the same amount of away goals.

So we can't lose

It's quite straight forward-ish.

If the two leg aggregate between teams is level, away goals in the tie between them will decide who goes through. As they already have 3 away goals from the first leg, any low scoring loss in Salzburg would put us out. A 4-3 result would mean 7-7 on aggregate, then goal difference across the group decides the issue, and theirs is better.

All the above is assuming Genk lose at Napoli. We lost to Napoli 3-1 on aggregate so a point for them and a win for Salzburg would put us out. If Genk win at Napoli, we're through. In that case, we would still need a point in Salzburg to win the group. I hope that's clear enough.

At least we have secured European football after Christmas, whatever happens. If it's the UEFA Cup, so be it. We might just have another couple of nights against the mancs in Europe, or even Dortmund again.

This group seemed so much easier when the draw was made, and we all hoped the group would be decided before the trip to Salzburg. But we've failed to do it the easy way, so it now has to be the hard route. With our modest away record in Europe over recent years, there is still a lot of work to do.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #359: Nov 30, 2019 11:53:47 am
      It's quite straight forward-ish.

If the two leg aggregate between teams is level, away goals in the tie between them will decide who goes through. As they already have 3 away goals from the first leg, any low scoring loss in Salzburg would put us out. A 4-3 result would mean 7-7 on aggregate, then goal difference across the group decides the issue, and theirs is better.

All the above is assuming Genk lose at Napoli. We lost to Napoli 3-1 on aggregate so a point for them and a win for Salzburg would put us out. If Genk win at Napoli, we're through. In that case, we would still need a point in Salzburg to win the group. I hope that's clear enough.

At least we have secured European football after Christmas, whatever happens. If it's the UEFA Cup, so be it. We might just have another couple of nights against the mancs in Europe, or even Dortmund again.

This group seemed so much easier when the draw was made, and we all hoped the group would be decided before the trip to Salzburg. But we've failed to do it the easy way, so it now has to be the hard route. With our modest away record in Europe over recent years, there is still a lot of work to do.

We have to beat Salzburg and we will, they have a sh*t defence so as long as we are tight at the back it's all good, BTW when is Matip back?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #360: Nov 30, 2019 01:11:59 pm
      We have to beat Salzburg and we will, they have a sh*t defence so as long as we are tight at the back it's all good, BTW when is Matip back?

Not any time soon considering he went for another scan yesterday.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #361: Nov 30, 2019 01:20:38 pm
      Not any time soon considering he went for another scan yesterday.

Well we should still have enough to beat them, we either have to go super defensive counter attack or heavy metal football and out score them.
      I do fancy us to win

Quick Reply