Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson
      1 (1.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      76 (89.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (4.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.4%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
       Adrián
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: Dec 04, 2019 04:51:48 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22700 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Dec 01, 2019 11:03:34 am
      What lesson is learned, is it that the keeper can't set the wall in future and has to stand rooted to his spot in expectation of the referee can blow his whistle at any random moment? It's nonsense and does not happen in any other sport.

Should be some direction or order. With direct free kicks. The Ref should spray the ground in front of  the ball and that should be it, the whistle can be blown and if your not ready - to bad.

In this instance I didn't see Atkinson spray the ground, he moved a few yards to his left, saw that Adrian was checking the angle from his left hand post and blew the whistle. Yes it was a clever move by Dunk but it was poor sportsmanship by Atkinson and flies in the face of Law 5 which says in relation to the Referee ..."......in the spirit of the game"

If we had the spray rule on Direct Free Kicks everybody would know the score.
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2019 11:23:22 am by Harrisimo »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #323: Dec 01, 2019 11:08:28 am
      Totally agree, if we win each game, we don't care about the goal difference because we do not need it.

Still a long way to go but having the lead we have and the rate we are picking up points, if we end up having to rely on GD then we would have had to of gone seriously off the boil.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #324: Dec 01, 2019 11:14:10 am

Give it up man, your wrong , it's not up to the ref to get ready is it, Adrian should have been set, he had yelled to the wall where he wanted it positioned, the Kunt that is Atkinson blew his whistle and Dunk took his opportunity,  we got caught out mate get over it, sh*t happens, we move on, lessons learnt,
      We still won, we are still top of the f***in league,  we're still unbeaten and we're still going to be Champions, and Martin Atkinson still  is and always will be a Kunt.

Merry Syphilis and a Happy Gonhorrhea.

YNWA

And the lesson should be - get the wall organised quicker. We were faffing about. For club who employs a throw in coach organising the wall from any angle quickly should not be beyond us. VVD....get yer arse in gear and take charge..!

We gave Brighton the chance (aided and abetted by Atkinson) to put one over on us.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2019 11:27:01 am by Harrisimo »
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #325: Dec 01, 2019 11:49:35 am
      What would you prefer, a yellow card or a goal against?

It’s one of them that sucks if it’s done against you, but can’t help but smile about if you are the ones doing it. We won so just chill out and enjoy it. Or think about how Atkinson is the VAR for the Derby, that will take your mind off the goal today ;)

Wow, this knocks some sense into my head! Too desperate to win the league that me and me mates will not celebrate till the war is won. Have I been too hard on meself? Perhaps I need to see Dr Steve Peters before I turn crazy!
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #326: Dec 01, 2019 12:00:32 pm

Give it up man, your wrong , it's not up to the ref to get ready is it, Adrian should have been set, he had yelled to the wall where he wanted it positioned, the Kunt that is Atkinson blew his whistle and Dunk took his opportunity,  we got caught out mate get over it, sh*t happens, we move on, lessons learnt,
      We still won, we are still top of the f***in league,  we're still unbeaten and we're still going to be Champions, and Martin Atkinson still  is and always will be a Kunt.

Merry Syphilis and a Happy Gonhorrhea.

YNWA

Spot on

Reading some of the comments here, fvking bunch of Fannie’s

If ref does not tell the person taking the kick to wait for his whistle than kicker can take quick kick by letting the ref know he ready to do so and ref blows.
      Our mistake was not to put a man in front of the ball until our wall was ready
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #327: Dec 01, 2019 12:19:10 pm
      Fouls and free kicks !
      I’ve always thought if you’re fouled, the free kick is awarded to give you back the advantage you may have had prior to the foul.
      If you take the kick quickly to maintain that advantage, good job I say. With a wall of defenders being set up in front of the free kick, the advantage is pretty much taken away.
      Players were stopped from standing over the ball to prevent quick free kicks a few seasons ago. That in itself is a bookable offence now. It was introduced so a free kick could be taken quickly if required.
      I don’t have a problem with it, we just got caught cold. Should have been more aware of the issues around us.
      Also while on the subject. A player gets fouled, gets awarded a free kick, but has to go off the field for treatment. So where’s the advantage when your sides down to 10 men because you’ve been hacked down. A real advantage would be, if an injured player, due to foul play, has to leave the field for treatment. The player committing the foul should also have to leave the field  for the same amount of time at least. Possibly with an extra couple of minutes added as well.
      This is my unbiased opinion but I still think Atkinson is a bias anti red
      Official who is a disgrace, and should be removed from football at any level.
      What he does is akin to sabotage in any other role in the workplace.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #328: Dec 01, 2019 12:26:47 pm
      What lesson is learned, is it that the keeper can't set the wall in future and has to stand rooted to his spot in expectation of the referee can blow his whistle at any random moment? It's nonsense and does not happen in any other sport.

Yeah not sure what we were supposed to do in that situation really. Stand over the ball it's a yellow. Atkinson up to mischief IMO.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #329: Dec 01, 2019 12:36:14 pm
      Fouls and free kicks !
      I’ve always thought if you’re fouled, the free kick is awarded to give you back the advantage you may have had prior to the foul.
      If you take the kick quickly to maintain that advantage, good job I say. With a wall of defenders being set up in front of the free kick, the advantage is pretty much taken away.
      Players were stopped from standing over the ball to prevent quick free kicks a few seasons ago. That in itself is a bookable offence now. It was introduced so a free kick could be taken quickly if required.
      I don’t have a problem with it, we just got caught cold. Should have been more aware of the issues around us.

Xabi Alonso used to take our free kicks quickly for balls awarded around the middle of the pitch. Nothing wrong with it. Objectively speaking, we took too long. It was just clever play. Those who oppose should recognize that we've been caught out and move on. If we had scored in this manner, the word clever would be all over this board. So yeah, credit where it's due. We got three points that's the most important thing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #330: Dec 01, 2019 01:08:30 pm
      Alisson getting a lot of stick. Am I the only one who just saw a man trying to desperately bail out his defence after messing up the offside trap?
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #331: Dec 01, 2019 01:10:44 pm
      Alisson getting a lot of stick. Am I the only one who just saw a man trying to desperately bail out his defence after messing up the offside trap?

I see a man taking one for his team to keep a clean sheet but was unfortunately undone by a quick free kick.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #332: Dec 01, 2019 01:12:41 pm
      Haven't read through all the comments yet but I'm not sure why Adrian seemed to stop when that free kick was taken, had he dove I think he'd have stopped it, that said he made some good saves afterwards. Shouldn't complain really, what a position we're in...
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #333: Dec 01, 2019 01:23:15 pm
      Haven't read through all the comments yet but I'm not sure why Adrian seemed to stop when that free kick was taken, had he dove I think he'd have stopped it, that said he made some good saves afterwards. Shouldn't complain really, what a position we're in...

Shouldn't complain ? How long have you been on here ?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #334: Dec 01, 2019 01:25:15 pm

Look at it again,  and i mean look proper,  when said Kunt sprays his line it's game on, watch our players, none are watching the ball, Mane has is back to the ball, Gini is behind our non wall, Adrian in his defence is screaming for the wall to move right, but at the same time Dunk is by the ref, asking if he can take the kick, Adrian is still by his left stick, so when Kunt blows his whistle Dunk slots it in the corner, 
      We got done mate, pure and simple,  sh*t we've done it ourselves in the past most notably Trent V Barca, it's down to quick thinking by Dunk and us  being lackadaisical ,
      The lesson learnt is to be more vigilant from now on at set pieces around our box and perhaps being more organised.

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #335: Dec 01, 2019 01:47:16 pm

Look at it again,  and i mean look proper,  when said Kunt sprays his line it's game on, watch our players, none are watching the ball, Mane has is back to the ball, Gini is behind our non wall, Adrian in his defence is screaming for the wall to move right, but at the same time Dunk is by the ref, asking if he can take the kick, Adrian is still by his left stick, so when Kunt blows his whistle Dunk slots it in the corner, 
      We got done mate, pure and simple,  sh*t we've done it ourselves in the past most notably Trent V Barca, it's down to quick thinking by Dunk and us  being lackadaisical ,
      The lesson learnt is to be more vigilant from now on at set pieces around our box and perhaps being more organised.

YNWA

Well said. Only possible complaint is about Brighton players in the wall
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #336: Dec 01, 2019 02:10:37 pm
      Fouls and free kicks !
      Also while on the subject. A player gets fouled, gets awarded a free kick, but has to go off the field for treatment. So where’s the advantage when your sides down to 10 men because you’ve been hacked down. A real advantage would be, if an injured player, due to foul play, has to leave the field for treatment. The player committing the foul should also have to leave the field  for the same amount of time at least. Possibly with an extra couple of minutes added as well.
      This is my unbiased opinion but I still think Atkinson is a bias anti red
      Official who is a disgrace, and should be removed from football at any level.
      What he does is akin to sabotage in any other role in the workplace.

On Wednesday, Everton will feel free to make two-footed lunges about knee high on our boys, or maybe dumping our players over the advertising boards with no penalty (oh wait...).

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #337: Dec 01, 2019 02:16:48 pm

YNWA

It reminded me of a couple of seasons ago when Luiz (with Chelsea then) hit a free kick from distance and Simon Mignolet was still talking to his wall. I suppose the question yesterday is because a sub was being made and sometimes you'll see the referee let the incoming player get set, like on a corner. Atkinson could have done that, but this wasn't a corner and our player was allowed to get into position before the free kick was taken. We were just too leisurely about setting up.

Backing Adrian to play a stormer in keeping a clean sheet vs. the Blues!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #338: Dec 01, 2019 02:32:26 pm
      From the free kick the goal came from we fu**ed up, we should have had a player standing in front of the player trying to take the free kick like every other team dose, niaive from us but Atkinson is a c**t
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #339: Dec 01, 2019 02:52:18 pm
      So we equal our longest unbeaten run set after a 1-1 draw at Derby in 1988. The next opponent after that, was Everton. The next game after this one?

Some things never change.

That was at Goodison, this is home turf, this is Silva-infused Everton with absolute F**k all about them, we'll F***ing batter them, just as long as the players keep the same mentality as we've have been doing. We been saying for ages someone is going to get a hiding off this team, Wednesday is it, even with Adrian in goal!!

Job done yesterday, we were coasting until Alisson's red card, Adrian was caught cold for their goal, but a big F***ing well done to him for recovering and pulling off that save not long after, I'll even forgive the boob when he totally misjudged the ball and nearly fu**ed up, giving VVD a heart attack in the process. Two great headers from him.

F***ing rejoice, 11 point lead, City F**k up and it's now a three horse race as we must acknowledge Leicester are in this too!
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2019 02:57:02 pm by HUYTON RED »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #340: Dec 01, 2019 02:58:20 pm
      Wow, this knocks some sense into my head! Too desperate to win the league that me and me mates will not celebrate till the war is won. Have I been too hard on meself? Perhaps I need to see Dr Steve Peters before I turn crazy!

Wouldn't he be creeping round Brendan at Leicester!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #341: Dec 01, 2019 03:01:36 pm

Only thing in Alisson's head was he wasn't getting lobbed, it happens, plus we've got no worries about his replacement. Adrian got caught cold on the free-kick.

But we're still grinding them wins out.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #342: Dec 01, 2019 03:02:38 pm
      For all those mumping and moaning about us not playing well this season... none of that explains how we beat in formidable opponents so far like Chelsea away, Sheffield United away, City at home, Leicester at home, Palace away even.

All just luck isn't it?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #343: Dec 01, 2019 03:06:26 pm
      For all those mumping and moaning about us not playing well this season... none of that explains how we beat in formidable opponents so far like Chelsea away, Sheffield United away, City at home, Leicester at home, Palace away even.

All just luck isn't it?

Complete and utter luck ;)

F***ing UNBEARABLE and loving it!!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #344: Dec 01, 2019 03:07:19 pm
      Yeah no worries for me either over Adrian he was pretty solid when he deputised for alisson when he was out,
      As for the sh*te across the park they hold no worries for me whatsoever
       after Leicester give them a beating today we’ll give them another on Wednesday,happy chrimbo evertonians

Quick Reply