Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: RB Salzburg v Liverpool - 10th Dec 2019 (5:55pm)

Read 5489 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Pre-Match: RB Salzburg v Liverpool - 10th Dec 2019 (5:55pm)
      Dec 09, 2019 11:11:42 am
      Need a draw to qualify.  Need a win to win the group.

About £12M riding on this game for both teams.

We were 3-0 up against these at home and they scored three goals in the space of 21 minutes before a late Salah winner.

Salzburg have also scored 8 goals in their two previous Champions League games at home. 

Erling Braut Haaland, aged 19, has scored a staggering 27 goals in 19 appearances so far this season!  He's scored 8 of those in the group stages!

NB: Team no longer available
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Pre-Match: RB Salzburg v Liverpool - 10th Dec 2019 (5:55pm)
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2019 12:10:07 pm
      Think we will play Hendo,Gini,Milner in midfield. I would go Mane,Origi,Salah up front. Has to be a degree of insurance, legs in midfield, pace and power up front.Bobby is obviously a clever player but I think Origi is now a serious alternative.I think Mane & Salah are in but Bobby needs to do more.

I get that he's not a conventional striker but I just think it's not enough to complement Mane & Salah.He has to command his place and I think he's not doing that so I would go with Origi who offers threat and presence accros the front line.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2019 12:38:06 pm
      Need a draw to qualify.  Need a win to win the group.

About £12M riding on this game for both teams.

Agree with that line up. Think the team picks itself. Gomez at CB could prove fruitful to counter their pace. More than the 12mil, its our European prestige at stake.

Fully trust the Redmen to come away with a point, if not 3.

Think we will play Hendo,Gini,Milner in midfield. I would go Mane,Origi,Salah up front. Has to be a degree of insurance, legs in midfield, pace and power up front.Bobby is obviously a clever player but I think Origi is now a serious alternative.I think Mane & Salah are in but Bobby needs to do more.

I get that he's not a conventional striker but I just think it's not enough to complement Mane & Salah.He has to command his place and I think he's not doing that so I would go with Origi who offers threat and presence accros the front line.

I seriously hope all of that was a joke or an ice-breaker before such a serious game! No way Bobby is dropped for Origi, esp when we need defending from the front at our max!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: Dec 09, 2019 01:35:10 pm
      our new secret weapon of the long ball over the top has got them all bamboozled . So suck them in give it to Trent and away we go. I just cant see this team losing tomorrow they know when the time has come to man up I expect a classic away performance tomorrow and a few goals
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Dec 09, 2019 02:27:25 pm
      Agree with that line up. Think the team picks itself. Gomez at CB could prove fruitful to counter their pace. More than the 12mil, its our European prestige at stake.

Fully trust the Redmen to come away with a point, if not 3.

I seriously hope all of that was a joke or an ice-breaker before such a serious game! No way Bobby is dropped for Origi, esp when we need defending from the front at our max!

And yet you agree with JD that Alex plays in place of a genuine midfield player. I'm very suspicious of posters who start with put down...in my experience it usually means they don't have a clue, so they leverage their posts with an insult....something I don't do.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Dec 09, 2019 02:43:38 pm
      And yet you agree with JD that Alex plays in place of a genuine midfield player.

He's our joint top scorer in the Champions League, that's why I put him in the team.  Plus I thought it was noticeable that it was Ox who was subbed off and not Milner towards the end of the game on Saturday.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #6: Dec 09, 2019 02:54:00 pm
      Do think Origi us pushing Bobby for a start but think it will be Watford and not away on Tuesday. These are lively up top need to be on our guard
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Dec 09, 2019 03:05:50 pm
      We have to be careful in this game and smart tactically, I think we have two choices, we either go full heavy metal on them the first 30 minutes, get a decent lead then more defensive second half, like the last 2 games, or we set up quite defensively from the off and just look to hit them on the counter. I prefer the first option as I'm a huge advocate of attack is best form of defence, especially against a high scoring team.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #8: Dec 09, 2019 03:17:11 pm
      Do think Origi us pushing Bobby for a start but think it will be Watford and not away on Tuesday.

Agree.  Can see Origi, Shaqiri and Keita all playing v Watford.

WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #9: Dec 09, 2019 03:21:08 pm
      At the extremely weird crossroads of thinking this Liverpool team is the best team in the world (it definitely is) and being extremely scared of Salzburg tomorrow night... I look forward to all games but not this for some reason... should I stop being stupid or am I right to be this worried?

The fact we won this competition last year is still yet to properly hit me in the sense it didn’t feel real and I want that realisation that this Liverpool team are the champions of Europe to hit me and I fear it may never hit me if we get knocked out tomorrow?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: Dec 09, 2019 03:25:09 pm
      Dangerous opponent as they showed at Anfield and it would be silly for the boys to play for a draw.

But we can afford to sit back a bit and pick them off on the counter. A professional job please and keep us in the hunt for Number 7 in Istanbul!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Dec 09, 2019 03:34:35 pm
      At the extremely weird crossroads of thinking this Liverpool team is the best team in the world (it definitely is) and being extremely scared of Salzburg tomorrow night... I look forward to all games but not this for some reason... should I stop being stupid or am I right to be this worried?

Two concerns for me are that despite what happened at Anfield our players go there underestimating them, plus also right now this competition feels nowhere near as important as it was last year. 

Defeat by Madrid incentivised the players to make amends whereas I think this year the players are incentivised by that 1 point defeat by City?
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #12: Dec 09, 2019 03:42:56 pm
      Two concerns for me are that despite what happened at Anfield our players go there underestimating them, plus also right now this competition feels nowhere near as important as it was last year. 

Defeat by Madrid incentivised the players to make amends whereas I think this year the players are incentivised by that 1 point defeat by City?

Once you have won something always harder to win it again maybe due to motivation or we have already done that . Dont think for one minute they will be underestimating the CL but without a doubt the league is their holy grail this year
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #13: Dec 09, 2019 03:50:23 pm

I would play like that.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #14: Dec 09, 2019 03:54:55 pm

I would play like that.

Its not a game of Fifa!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Dec 09, 2019 04:01:16 pm

I hear what you are saying about the league being a bigger motivation this season than Europe, but hopefully we can walk and chew gum at the same time regarding incentives.

I like your team and I think it fits into what Klopp has been doing re rotation,with Watford coming up one of our easier league games (not taking anything for granted). (Ox IS a midfielder by the way).

Am glad to see Lovren trained this morning. Regardless of whether Dejan or Joe Gomez starts tomorrow, at least we will have an actual defender available on the bench (as well as for upcoming games - Watford may be the opportunity to rest Virgil, who has played every game - 90 minutes I believe - for us this season except the two League Cup matches - plus a number for Holland).

So give us one more Herculean effort Virgil, take us to the knockout rounds and then you can have a day off on Saturday.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16: Dec 09, 2019 04:02:25 pm

I’ve said similar, I think the Boss will want to retain the Champions League trophy & collect the PL, that’s the motivation for the players & I believe they will not need reminding by the boss, they know the hurt of Kiev & loosing out last season in the league..it’s what drives them, the fear of failure.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Dec 09, 2019 04:04:28 pm
      I’ve said similar, I think the Boss will want to retain the Champions League trophy & collect the PL, that’s the motivation for the players & I believe they will not need reminding by the boss, they know the hurt of Kiev & loosing out last season in the league..it’s what drives them, the fear of failure.

I had an awful (sort of) dream at the beginning of the season that we were lifting a trophy and it turned out to be the Europa League.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #18: Dec 09, 2019 04:06:39 pm

I know but we need to attack them, if not we will be a sitting duck with their hot and on fire teenager.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Dec 09, 2019 04:21:28 pm
      I know but we need to attack them, if not we will be a sitting duck with their hot and on fire teenager.

He's only mildly good-looking for me. But to each his own.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #20: Dec 09, 2019 04:24:29 pm
      He's only mildly good-looking for me. But to each his own.

Hot in form ;D :D :D
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #21: Dec 09, 2019 05:25:31 pm
      Just had a look at the Austrian table and they've had a couple of draws recently and are only two points ahead thought they walked that league,lunchtime kick off is a bit annoying dunno if i can watch yet but went 3-1 to us cos we are the champions of europe.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #22: Dec 09, 2019 05:41:03 pm
      Had to double check the Kick Off time.

Not that I doubt JD, just seemed really weird when I first read that.

Quick Reply