Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

What Is Liverpool's Greatest Calendar Year?

Read 3071 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      What Is Liverpool's Greatest Calendar Year?
      Dec 11, 2019 04:29:22 pm
      Not seasons or individual matches but our greatest year from January to December.

Some may argue 2019 given how much we've achieved, although not winning the League will leave a tinge of disappointment. A European Cup, Super Cup and possibly a Club World Cup puts 2019 up there as a real contender.

I'm sure some will say 2005 just for those European nights in the first half of the year. The arrival of our greatest keeper in the Premier League era also happened that year. Gerrard staying. But a disappointing League campaign and defeat in the League Cup final makes it a disappointing year with some wonderful highlights.

Those old enough will throw any number of the glory years in there. 86 double under Kenny, 84 treble under Joe, 77 under Bob, 65 under Shanks for the FA Cup, which was a huge deal back then (still is to some of us), 62 under Shanks to get back us back in the top flight.

There's many years that are contenders for our greatest calendar year but I'm picking 2001. It's for personal reasons as much as it is what we done as a club. Obviously the treble of 2001 and then the Charity Shield and Super Cup helped but it was everything about that year. It was the greatest squad I'd seen in my lifetime. I was at an age where I really understood football. We looked like a team ready to dominate football. I also loved the home shirt that year with the collar. One of the arl reebok ones. Jari Litmanen turning up and just oozing every bit of class he was. Gary Mac's winner against Everton, Fowler's overheard against Charlton on the final day, beating Barca at Anfield, that free kick from Riise against United, Owen at his best, Fowler still there, Gerrard and Carragher starting to establish themselves, Hyypia and Henchoz looking like the best pair in world football, Markus Babbel proving he was still a world class right back, a squad of many quality players all vying for a starting role, Didi Hamann playing the "Makelele" role perfectly before Makelele even arrived in England, four quality forwards in Fowler, Owen, Heskey and Litmanen.

So many happy memories from 2001, as does almost every year to be fair. But as a ten year old kid was was obsessed with nothing but Liverpool Football Club, 2001 was my favourite all round calendar year.

The only real downer in that calendar year was the health problems to Houllier and Babbel and a disappointing December that maybe took the title off us. Starting the month top and ending it fourth - albeit just three points off top and with a game in hand on all our rivals. (top of the table then was Leeds)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: What Is Liverpool's Greatest Calendar Year?
      Reply #1: Dec 11, 2019 09:25:01 pm
      Not seasons or individual matches but our greatest year from January to December.

Some may argue 2019 given how much we've achieved, although not winning the League will leave a tinge of disappointment. A European Cup, Super Cup and possibly a Club World Cup puts 2019 up there as a real contender.

I'm sure some will say 2005 just for those European nights in the first half of the year. The arrival of our greatest keeper in the Premier League era also happened that year. Gerrard staying. But a disappointing League campaign and defeat in the League Cup final makes it a disappointing year with some wonderful highlights.

Those old enough will throw any number of the glory years in there. 86 double under Kenny, 84 treble under Joe, 77 under Bob, 65 under Shanks for the FA Cup, which was a huge deal back then (still is to some of us), 62 under Shanks to get back us back in the top flight.

There's many years that are contenders for our greatest calendar year but I'm picking 2001. It's for personal reasons as much as it is what we done as a club. Obviously the treble of 2001 and then the Charity Shield and Super Cup helped but it was everything about that year. It was the greatest squad I'd seen in my lifetime. I was at an age where I really understood football. We looked like a team ready to dominate football. I also loved the home shirt that year with the collar. One of the arl reebok ones. Jari Litmanen turning up and just oozing every bit of class he was. Gary Mac's winner against Everton, Fowler's overheard against Charlton on the final day, beating Barca at Anfield, that free kick from Riise against United, Owen at his best, Fowler still there, Gerrard and Carragher starting to establish themselves, Hyypia and Henchoz looking like the best pair in world football, Markus Babbel proving he was still a world class right back, a squad of many quality players all vying for a starting role, Didi Hamann playing the "Makelele" role perfectly before Makelele even arrived in England, four quality forwards in Fowler, Owen, Heskey and Litmanen.

So many happy memories from 2001, as does almost every year to be fair. But as a ten year old kid was was obsessed with nothing but Liverpool Football Club, 2001 was my favourite all round calendar year.

The only real downer in that calendar year was the health problems to Houllier and Babbel and a disappointing December that maybe took the title off us. Starting the month top and ending it fourth - albeit just three points off top and with a game in hand on all our rivals. (top of the table then was Leeds)

Good topic and OP. I remember that 2001 years well also and loved it.

But surely any calendar year described as our "best" would have to include either a league or European Cup title.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Dec 11, 2019 09:35:30 pm
      It would have to be 1965 for me,the year we won the F.A.CUP for the first time.then beating Inter Milan at Anfield the following Wednesday.It was magic and the City of Liverpool came alive when the lads brought the CUP home to Anfield. There was so many good years that followed thanks to Bill,Bob,Joe and Kenny.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3: Dec 11, 2019 09:39:21 pm
      Fantastic OP and a great shout on 2001. Some superb highlights scattered across the whole year.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #4: Dec 11, 2019 10:17:30 pm
      Put the run we’re on now into a season and we would have blitzed all the fact its overlapping two half seasons is a travesty , if our boys keep it up till the end this will have to rank as one of the best ever
      Come on you reds .
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Dec 12, 2019 12:36:21 am
      Looks like 1984 is a season where we lifted Premier League, European Cup and League Cup trophy within a few months' span.

Hard to top that I'd think and I'm sure there are many on here who can still revel in how great it was to be a supporter at the time. I would love to read any personal reflections you all have on that 12 months (haven't touched on June through December yet).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2020 07:29:40 pm
      It would have to be 1965 for me,the year we won the F.A.CUP for the first time.then beating Inter Milan at Anfield the following Wednesday.It was magic and the City of Liverpool came alive when the lads brought the CUP home to Anfield. There was so many good years that followed thanks to Bill,Bob,Joe and Kenny.

Remember my dad always told me when he was growing up the 1920/30's Evertonians would always say talk to us when you win the FA Cup.
      Well for me although having seen so many great years 2005 for me as it brought us back to the top table. 2019 has been stunning and maybe we will reflect on it a few years down the line as the greatest ever year
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2020 07:37:23 pm
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2020 10:32:45 pm

Ah yes, great year that. Finally won the Premier League, then went and reclaimed the Champions League Trophy and Super Cup, and then we were crowned World Champions again for the 2nd year running.

Special memories..  ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2020 10:52:09 pm
      Ah yes, great year that. Finally won the Premier League, then went and reclaimed the Champions League Trophy and Super Cup, and then we were crowned World Champions again for the 2nd year running.

Special memories..  ;D

not so long ago that would have had you certified insane now who would be against it
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2020 11:50:12 pm
      We've had worst years!

This has to be up there as the greatest, wow, after 30 years and with so many disappointments in regards to the league.  To actually do what we are doing is absolutely unbelievable. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Jan 24, 2020 11:13:11 am
      Obviously 2019 because it really marked a shift in us becoming dominant again.

2001 obviously very good though which I believe saw us win 5 trophies in across about an 8 month period.

2005 was also a good calendar year - not only the run back to Europe's big final for the first time in 20 years, but I'm fairly sure we ended the year with 10 straight league wins and we certainly had the feeling that Benitez' CL win was not just a fluke and that he was a manager to be backed.

I don't really recall any of the 90s years being particularly stand out.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #12: Jan 24, 2020 11:24:26 am
      Obviously 2019 because it really marked a shift in us becoming dominant again.

2001 obviously very good though which I believe saw us win 5 trophies in across about an 8 month period.

2005 was also a good calendar year - not only the run back to Europe's big final for the first time in 20 years, but I'm fairly sure we ended the year with 10 straight league wins and we certainly had the feeling that Benitez' CL win was not just a fluke and that he was a manager to be backed.

I don't really recall any of the 90s years being particularly stand out.

Always forget how good we were in that 2005-2006 season. Didn't we keep 11 clean sheets on the spin at one point? I think the game where we finally conceded ended up being that farce of a Club World Cup final we played against Sao Paulo too
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #13: Jan 24, 2020 11:47:27 am
      Not got stats at hand, but there were loads in 70s and 80s, so hard to choose.

But this 2019 is amazing, record points tally, champions league, super cup & world club cup.

but id go for 2001 as best calendar year, winning every knockout comp we entered into was an amazing feat.

2020 could beat them all, when we win league and possibly another champions league and dare I say it an FA cup.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2020 09:11:40 pm
      It has to be 2019 for me. Bayern, Barca at Anfield and then that final. My lad who was 9 hugging me and genuinely crying when the whistle went. A stark contrast  to his tears the year before. And then for my dad who I lost in November. He left us with his beloved Liverpool sitting high and proud as European Champions.

F**k all comes close for me, personally.

Quick Reply