Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you want to face? (Added 12th December)

Real Madrid
      22 (41.5%)
      Atalanta
      14 (26.4%)
      Atletico Madrid
      3 (5.7%)
      Borussia Dortmund
      4 (7.5%)
      Lyon
      10 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: Dec 16, 2019 02:59:40 pm

Champions League Draw Monday Dec. 16

Read 12706 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Re: Champions League Draw Monday Dec. 16
      Reply #69: Dec 16, 2019 12:04:26 pm
      Quite incredible that Man City (1 Champions League semi final in their entire history, which was 5 years ago & 14 points behind us in the League) are 7/2 favourites for the competition. Ourselves 2nd at 4/1

I suppose they'll be putting their eggs in the Champions League basket due to their current league standing but there's no way they should be favourites. I'd have them in 3rd at best, behind ourselves and Barcelona

Not at all. It's the market's view that we've been lucky for more than two years. We got to the Europa final, CL final all by luck. We won the CL by luck as well. We were lucky to come in second in the league last year and are really lucky to go 16-1-0 in the league this year. Mo? That one season wonder, everybody apart from ourselves believes how he was continually lucky till now.

Why are City favorites? Because they're darn good. We're well, just lucky picking up 3 points all these years. And that will well go on for the next couple of years. It's something the market wants to believe, but only we ourselves believe otherwise.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #70: Dec 16, 2019 12:12:58 pm
      Atletico was my team to avoid. Think they can absorb pressure more than most.

Anyway F**k it, bring them on!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #71: Dec 16, 2019 12:20:53 pm
      Going to be exceptionally tough and tight
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,545 posts | 3905 
      Reply #72: Dec 16, 2019 12:29:47 pm
      Going to be exceptionally tough and tight

Klopp will know how to handle this. Can’t wait.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #73: Dec 16, 2019 12:33:40 pm
      I am also baffled why the bookies have City as favourites ahead of us, what exactly is that based on?

Guardiola! This is the reason in the first place the Sheikhs wanted Pep. To win the big one.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #74: Dec 16, 2019 12:34:28 pm
      I am also baffled why the bookies have City as favourites ahead of us, what exactly is that based on?

People betting on them, usually.

Not a bad  bet, really, are they?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #75: Dec 16, 2019 12:45:07 pm
      Guardiola! This is the reason in the first place the Sheikhs wanted Pep. To win the big one.

Been pretty woeful in the competition since he last won it in 2011 though. No final reached since then and he's been on the receiving end of a few semi final drubbings.

Yet to make it past the quarters with City also
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #76: Dec 16, 2019 01:07:21 pm
      Little bit disappointed to get Atletico, was hoping we’d get Real Madrid. As it goes, think we’ve ended up getting a tougher draw.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #77: Dec 16, 2019 01:24:58 pm
      Not the best draw we could have had, but we should be good enough to go through.

YNWA
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #78: Dec 16, 2019 02:15:11 pm
      Dunno why I get frustrated when people spell it "Ath"letico instead of Atletico. Ok, one more time, Athleti is Bilbao and Atleti is Madrid!

I echo a few others here - probably the last team I wanted purely cos of the rigidity that Cholo infuses in his teams. I got flashes of the Napoli games when their name popped up. But I'm sure Jürgen has a few tricks up his sleeves to get a result at the place where we lifted the Big Ears!! Decent PL fixtures around this, that's good!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,897 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #79: Dec 16, 2019 02:19:07 pm
      It's a good draw for me, a stern test and one over two legs will see us go through, AM although still a very good side hasn't got the bite it had when Greizeman was there,
      Again, they will be worried more about us, no one would have wanted us so they drawn the short straw,

No doubt Simeone will have them fired up and fully motivated we shouldn't expect anything less from him, His side's like to attack which suits us to a tee, and tactically he's not on the same level as Jürgen,

Can't see anything other than another win for us in both legs although it will not be easy, not by any stretch.

YNWA
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #80: Dec 16, 2019 02:21:01 pm
      Toughest possible pick from the list!   
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #81: Dec 16, 2019 02:30:00 pm
      It's a good draw for me, a stern test and one over two legs will see us go through, AM although still a very good side hasn't got the bite it had when Greizeman was there,
      Again, they will be worried more about us, no one would have wanted us so they drawn the short straw,

No doubt Simeone will have them fired up and fully motivated we shouldn't expect anything less from him, His side's like to attack which suits us to a tee, and tactically he's not on the same level as Jürgen,

Can't see anything other than another win for us in both legs although it will not be easy, not by any stretch.

YNWA

We have to beat them all by the final anyway. We don't need anyone else to do our work for us. We are the Champions of Europe.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #82: Dec 16, 2019 02:30:36 pm
      Eh, we have to beat good teams to win the cup, doesn't matter if it's early or late. Just take care of business.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #83: Dec 16, 2019 02:32:45 pm
      His side's like to attack which suits us to a tee, and tactically he's not on the same level as Jürgen,

Quite the opposite mate. Simeone is the best defensive coach in the world and while his sides have always had a goal in them they're much better at keeping them out.

Jürgen is obviously the better manager but Simeone is no mug & has reached the final twice himself. Think the tie will be very interesting as it's going to be one of the best attacking sides of recent years against one of the best defensive sides
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1382 
      Reply #84: Dec 16, 2019 02:36:35 pm
      Toughest possible pick from the list!

Could be a tricky one. Very strong in defence, solid rather than spectacular. No easy games so every man to the pump. Back to the place where we won it last season. Get the fat guy out the way and steam on in the league, stay strong  then hit AM full pelt.
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1382 
      Reply #85: Dec 16, 2019 02:44:37 pm
      Whip Atletico Madrid, munch through Real Madrid...then crunch Barcelona....a..truco de sombrero..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,545 posts | 3905 
      Reply #86: Dec 16, 2019 02:56:10 pm
      Quite the opposite mate. Simeone is the best defensive coach in the world and while his sides have always had a goal in them they're much better at keeping them out.

Jürgen is obviously the better manager but Simeone is no mug & has reached the final twice himself. Think the tie will be very interesting as it's going to be one of the best attacking sides of recent years against one of the best defensive sides

They’re league form doesn’t look to hot, then again we said the same about Napoli and look what happened there.

Be a really interesting game. I bet the front 3 can’t wait.

Firmino the key to unlock their defence
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #87: Dec 16, 2019 03:11:01 pm

Remind me how well City have done in CL under Pep compared to us under Jürgen. ;-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #88: Dec 16, 2019 03:13:07 pm
      Dunno why I get frustrated when people spell it "Ath"letico instead of Atletico. Ok, one more time, Athleti is Bilbao and Atleti is Madrid!

I echo a few others here - probably the last team I wanted purely cos of the rigidity that Cholo infuses in his teams. I got flashes of the Napoli games when their name popped up. But I'm sure Jürgen has a few tricks up his sleeves to get a result at the place where we lifted the Big Ears!! Decent PL fixtures around this, that's good!

OK thanks, can you please explain why it is spelt differently, I'm guessing they both mean athletic or am I wrong?
      rossyred

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #89: Dec 16, 2019 03:18:11 pm
      Be happy with a draw over there but ideally nicking a goal . Very well organized big difference being at Anfield 2nd leg and see if they can cope will be two tough encounters
      rossyred

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #90: Dec 16, 2019 03:18:25 pm
      Be happy with a draw over there but ideally nicking a goal . Very well organized big difference being at Anfield 2nd leg and see if they can cope will be two tough encounters
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #91: Dec 16, 2019 03:29:39 pm
      I think we all acknowledge its a tough tie ahead but imagine how they feel with our record this season. I feel that we will see some really huge performances by this team in the new year when we will be expected to stumble this game being one the experts will be all over

Quick Reply