Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Monterrey v Liverpool CWC Semi-Final Weds 18th Dec 17:30KO

Read 7283 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Re: Monterrey v Liverpool CWC Semi-Final Weds 18th Dec 17:30KO
      Reply #46: Dec 17, 2019 02:22:07 pm
      Not one bit. A gimmick for the sponsors and the bodies to make money, that's all. Should have sent our C team.

Would much prefer to keep the focus on the PL with another game at the weekend. But it is what it is.
      Don't think I'll be tuning into these classics today either
      Al Sadd : ES Tunis
      Flamengo : Al-Hilal
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #47: Dec 17, 2019 02:44:22 pm
      Not one bit. A gimmick for the sponsors and the bodies to make money, that's all. Should have sent our C team.

On your own then lad aren't yer, cos there are F***ing loads of reds who want this f**ker won, loads who have gone to Qatar to support them too. Winning this means something to the whole club, that's how serious we are taking it.

Man Utd have won it, about time we did too and get a bit of revenge on Flamengo in the process
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,916 posts | 1475 
      Reply #48: Dec 18, 2019 10:16:24 am

I just see it as European charity shield but I get where you’re coming from

We welcome all to celebrate with us when we win the damn thing. For now, we may not enjoy the benefit of your full support, and the rest of us will have to go it by ourselves.

Since the team is already out there (which not every team can be there every year), we may as well care and give it a good go. Dangerous position to be in because if the staff fail to deliver the league title, we know where the conversations are headed.

A lot of things are out of our control. May as well enjoy the ride. What a great competition to be in that not everyone can participate.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #49: Dec 18, 2019 11:03:11 am
      Champions league winners.
      European Super Cup winners..

Just add that CWC trophy and it’s been a good 6 months.. 😎
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #50: Dec 18, 2019 11:38:42 am

Ah, yes. A competition that is ongoing since the 1960s and that means so much to so many people around the world is only a gimmick for sponsors. Gotta love little England.

It's no surprise that the English were the idiots who stayed out of the World Cup for the first couple of decades, only to find out later that the competition was actually quite important - because, you know, the world does move on without them. It also took a Scottish manager to win the European Cup and change British clubs perceptions of the competition. Perhaps if English clubs didn't have their heads so much into their own arses, Real Madrid wouldn't have won like 6 European Cups in the initial years and now wouldn't have over double of our cups.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,270 posts | 761 
      Reply #51: Dec 18, 2019 11:39:30 am
      Good luck to the team, and hope all the fans out there have a great time, watching the Reds, lift another trophy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Dec 18, 2019 11:39:56 am
      I watched bits of Monterrey's first game and found that their midfield was so open in the central areas, I just can't see LFC not winning this one comfortably. But then again, they'll probably try to raise their game for that one, so need to take this seriously.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #53: Dec 18, 2019 12:33:36 pm
      Ah, yes. A competition that is ongoing since the 1960s and that means so much to so many people around the world is only a gimmick for sponsors. Gotta love little England.

It's no surprise that the English were the idiots who stayed out of the World Cup for the first couple of decades, only to find out later that the competition was actually quite important - because, you know, the world does move on without them. It also took a Scottish manager to win the European Cup and change British clubs perceptions of the competition. Perhaps if English clubs didn't have their heads so much into their own arses, Real Madrid wouldn't have won like 6 European Cups in the initial years and now wouldn't have over double of our cups.

Let see how your Flamengo does against OUR Liverpool on Saturday, I imagine there will be far more sorrow in Brasil than there will be joy in England
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: Dec 18, 2019 02:10:33 pm
      I want it, and I assume most fans & players want it.

And for me, its another trophy the mancs have over us, we need to put that right.

Pretty sure we win this were ahead of them on Major honors again.   :aaliverpool2xt1:

Oh yes indeed.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #55: Dec 18, 2019 02:12:00 pm
      looking forward to this have to remember though kick off is 5.30pm. BBC really pisses me off these days having a go at the club for going to Qatar because of human rights etc but they are happy to send out teams of people to cover it. I thought Jürgen handled these questions perfectly pretty much like he does everything else.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #56: Dec 18, 2019 02:16:29 pm
      looking forward to this have to remember though kick off is 5.30pm. BBC really pisses me off these days having a go at the club for going to Qatar because of human rights etc but they are happy to send out teams of people to cover it. I thought Jürgen handled these questions perfectly pretty much like he does everything else.

Hate BBC. may well mute the commentary. ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Dec 18, 2019 02:51:03 pm
      I watched bits of Monterrey's first game and found that their midfield was so open in the central areas, I just can't see LFC not winning this one comfortably. But then again, they'll probably try to raise their game for that one, so need to take this seriously.

Pinging the ball around nicely and moving industriously without the ball will give us a lot of chances. I mentioned before they have a few players who are very good with the ball at their feet so we want to be careful about conceding free kicks while also closing down spaces in our defensive third.

My fear is the type of challenges that are made (typically) in the Mexican League. I don't know if Monterrey fit this bill but pretty much every Mexican League game I match there are more than a few hard fouls and a couple of large group mosh pits. Hopefully we can steer clear of that.

Looking forward to the game.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #58: Dec 18, 2019 03:35:07 pm
      Let see how your Flamengo does against OUR Liverpool on Saturday, I imagine there will be far more sorrow in Brasil than there will be joy in England

Whatever Tory boy. The fans of YOUR Liverpool do not despise me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #59: Dec 18, 2019 03:41:00 pm
      Just read this on This is Anfield:

This is not the first time the two teams have crossed paths. In May 1964, the two clubs contested a friendly at Chicago’s Soldier Field in front of 12,000 people.

Bill Shankly led his side, who had just won the club’s first league title since 1946/47, on a tour of America and Canada.

And the Reds emerged victorious with Ian St. John notching a hat-trick.

Preseason tours are a little different nowadays. I've been looking for a lineup for that match but usual go-tos for Reds history don't seem to have it since it was a friendly. But I know our old-timers here have fond memories of Ian St. John.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #60: Dec 18, 2019 03:42:47 pm
      Whatever Tory boy. The fans of YOUR Liverpool do not despise me.

You seem to have an issue with England though, did your Visa get rejected or something?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #61: Dec 18, 2019 03:42:47 pm
      Just read this on This is Anfield:

This is not the first time the two teams have crossed paths. In May 1964, the two clubs contested a friendly at Chicago’s Soldier Field in front of 12,000 people.

Bill Shankly led his side, who had just won the club’s first league title since 1946/47, on a tour of America and Canada.

And the Reds emerged victorious with Ian St. John notching a hat-trick.

Preseason tours are a little different nowadays. I've been looking for a lineup for that match but usual go-tos for Reds history don't seem to have it since it was a friendly. But I know our old-timers here have fond memories of Ian St. John.

I think it's here mate: https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/FriendlyGame/8019

Lawrence, Lawler, Byrne, Moran, Smith, Stevenson, Wallace (Chisnall), Callaghan, Arrowsmith, St John, A'Court (Graham).
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #62: Dec 18, 2019 03:47:48 pm
      You seem to have an issue with England though, did your Visa get rejected or something?

I don't understand why you feel the need to be such a snide c**t all the time. If you disagree with what I said then counter-argument, but it seems every time I criticise English football, you need to get back at me either with personal sh*t or stupid generalisations about my country or South America,  as you did during the World Cup. Try not to be such a snide c**t unnecessarily and perhaps eventually people may event start liking you,  just a bit.

I think you'll find a lot of English people in this forum have a problem with England at the moment. Personally, I have an issue with the little England attitude towards football and the arrogance that comes with it. It was the same with virtually every international competition, including the one that we now brag about having won 6 times.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Dec 18, 2019 04:03:59 pm
      I don't understand why you feel the need to be such a snide c**t all the time. If you disagree with what I said then counter-argument, but it seems every time I criticise English football, you need to get back at me either with personal sh*t or stupid generalisations about my country or South America,  as you did during the World Cup. Try not to be such a snide c**t unnecessarily and perhaps eventually people may event start liking you,  just a bit.

I think you'll find a lot of English people in this forum have a problem with England at the moment. Personally, I have an issue with the little England attitude towards football and the arrogance that comes with it. It was the same with virtually every international competition, including the one that we now brag about having won 6 times.

Your earlier rant seemed more directed at England in general, and that's what I took offense at, apologies if I misunderstood that. I know that I can be a bit snide at times but if you suffered the amount of sh*t that I do on here I guess you'd be a bit defensive as well. My major crime at the moment seems to be that I'm a Conservative Liverpool fan, something you alluded to yourself by calling me "Tory boy", so perhaps you are a bit snide yourself and should be careful about throwing those stones.

For the record I like Brasil a lot, I lived and worked in Recife for a couple of months in 99.

Quick Reply