Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who is Liverpool's greatest ever goalkeeper?

Ray Clemence
      28 (57.1%)
      Bruce Grobbelaar
      3 (6.1%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (4.1%)
      Alisson Becker
      16 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Our greatest ever goalkeeper

Read 6871 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Our greatest ever goalkeeper
      Dec 15, 2019 08:53:59 am
      Although I'm too young to remember Clemence, which probably makes my vote a bit void, I'm going with Alisson.

The most complete goalkeeper I've seen in a Liverpool shirt. Makes it look so easy with impeccable positioning and timing whilst his distribution takes the piss.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Our greatest ever goalkeeper
      Reply #1: Dec 15, 2019 09:05:08 am
      Come back and ask when alisson has been with LFC for that an minute. ;D.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: Dec 15, 2019 09:05:28 am
      or change it too, fave goalie?. ;D
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #3: Dec 15, 2019 09:12:27 am
      Ray Clemence stands out for me, although I can even remember Tommy Lawrence, nicknamed the flying pig who played in the sixties for the club.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3708 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4: Dec 15, 2019 09:15:26 am
      I witnessed Friedel, James, Westerveld, Dudek, Reina, Mignolet, Karius and Alisson. Out of them, Alisson is the greatest but from videos I watched Clemence was better.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Dec 15, 2019 09:53:59 am
      check out Clemence Record it shouldn't even be a question.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #6: Dec 15, 2019 10:22:10 am
      Ray Clemence was head and shoulders above for consistency and over a long term. He would have had many more international caps if that fat w**ker Peter Shilton hadn't been noshing off Bobby Robson. What a pair of creepy cu*ts they were.
      Clem was like a third centre half, a brilliant shot stopper, and his distribution was top drawer. One season, cant remember which without looking it up, he conceded just 4 goals at Anfield. Yeah, not in a match, not in a calander month, not just F A Cup rounds. The whole F***ing season !
      Tommy Lawrence before him was brilliant one minute, but prone to a clanger the next.
      Grobbelarr who replaced Clem was probably the most athletic keeper I've ever seen, but didn't outshine clem for me.
      Pepe another with brilliant distribution and probably top 2 or 3 in his time, but for me, nothing surpasses Ray Clemence.
      Perhaps its my age and a bit of nostalgia creeping in, but my all time greatest keeper ever.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #7: Dec 15, 2019 10:25:11 am
      Ray Clemence was head and shoulders above for consistency and over a long term. He would have had many more international caps if that fat w**ker Peter Shilton hadn't been noshing off Bobby Robson. What a pair of creepy cu*ts they were.
      Clem was like a third centre half, a brilliant shot stopper, and his distribution was top drawer. One season, cant remember which without looking it up, he conceded just 4 goals at Anfield. Yeah, not in a match, not in a calander month, not just F A Cup rounds. The whole f**king season !
      Tommy Lawrence before him was brilliant one minute, but prone to a clanger the next.
      Grobbelarr who replaced Clem was probably the most athletic keeper I've ever seen, but didn't outshine clem for me.
      Pepe another with brilliant distribution and probably top 2 or 3 in his time, but for me, nothing surpasses Ray Clemence.
      Perhaps its my age and a bit of nostalgia creeping in, but my all time greatest keeper ever.

Type of thing I was after. I have only heard how good he was.

For me, ability wise, Alisson is the best I've seen but feeling a bit educated now.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #8: Dec 15, 2019 10:25:39 am

Karius? For the 'lols'?
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,998 posts | 223 
      Reply #9: Dec 15, 2019 11:12:30 am
      Ray clemence for me then in 2nd it’s between 3 maybe 4 need to sleep on it a bit longer
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Dec 15, 2019 11:22:38 am
      I would have gone for Pepe if it was a vote for the Goalie who celebrated every goal with gusto.
      Clemence was incredible and remember when he played Goalkeepers were fair game for strikers to knock chunks out of. He was incredibly agile some of his saves simply out of this world. 16 goals in 42 league games is just incredible.
      However I wouldn't have anyone else in the world right now ahead of Allison he is simply the very best there is right now
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #11: Dec 15, 2019 11:28:20 am
      Though he's only been here a short while, I've seen enough to think Alisson will be our best ever goalkeeper. I can barely remember Clemence, but he is a firm second.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Dec 15, 2019 11:40:37 am
      Never saw Clemence so it's easy for me. Alisson is so phenomenal that he makes all those torturous years of Mignolet in goal worth it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #13: Dec 15, 2019 11:53:35 am
      I would have gone for Pepe if it was a vote for the Goalie who celebrated every goal with gusto.
      Clemence was incredible and remember when he played Goalkeepers were fair game for strikers to knock chunks out of. He was incredibly agile some of his saves simply out of this world. 16 goals in 42 league games is just incredible.
      However I wouldn't have anyone else in the world right now ahead of Allison he is simply the very best there is right now

The three mentioned are all 'keepers at the top of their game, they were/are all internationals and could walk into any top flight team in the world,
      On the day it would be impossible to put one above the other or guage their respective importance to LFC.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Dec 15, 2019 11:59:45 am
      thought this was "our best ever" not the best I have seen. That's why we keep records

Honours: League Championship 1972/73, 1975/76, 1976/77, 1978/79, 1979/80; FA Cup 1974; League Cup 1981; European Cup 1977, 1978, 1981; UEFA Cup 1973, 1976
      this includes 3 European Cups won on a purely  knockout basis against the league Champions form other Countries.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #15: Dec 15, 2019 12:13:34 pm
      Clem was like a third centre half, a brilliant shot stopper, and his distribution was top drawer. One season, cant remember which without looking it up, he conceded just 4 goals at Anfield. Yeah, not in a match, not in a calander month, not just F A Cup rounds. The whole F***ing season !

Clemence was awesome and as you mention carried that brilliance for many years, the 'flying pig' who he succeeded had some F***ing howlers and in the day at Anfield there was a mutual gasp whenever the ball was in his vicinity, nobody had a clue just what his reaction would be. 
      Thankfully Lawrence had more good games than bad as opposed to Clem who was the model of consistency.
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2019 12:19:01 pm by stuey »
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #16: Dec 15, 2019 12:45:51 pm

By popularity then. Results are also influenced by age distribution or the generation of this board. It's another great way of looking at it.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #17: Dec 15, 2019 12:48:06 pm

;D. I'll give it a yes for modelling our shirts.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #18: Dec 15, 2019 01:44:38 pm

I can top that with a Patrice Luzi, but where's the mentions for Pegguy eh?

:lmao:

Probably in all seriousness it has to be Clemence.

Alisson though looks a big time keeper and already I'd have him as the best keeper we've had in the prem era.
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2019 01:49:27 pm by HUYTON RED »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Dec 15, 2019 01:45:51 pm
      I can top that with a Patrice Luzi, but where's the mentions for Pegguy eh?

:lmao;

what was the name of the goalie that never played nicknamed "bonus" ?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #20: Dec 15, 2019 01:50:20 pm
      Thankfully Lawrence had more good games than bad as opposed to Clem who was the model of consistency

RIP Tommy.

Chances of this?

https://youtu.be/0U_PUbQGA4U
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #21: Dec 15, 2019 01:51:38 pm
      thought this was "our best ever" not the best I have seen. That's why we keep records

Honours: League Championship 1972/73, 1975/76, 1976/77, 1978/79, 1979/80; FA Cup 1974; League Cup 1981; European Cup 1977, 1978, 1981; UEFA Cup 1973, 1976
      this includes 3 European Cups won on a purely  knockout basis against the league Champions form other Countries.

And people are allowed an opinion. Chill.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #22: Dec 15, 2019 02:02:55 pm
      The records and stories suggest that Elisha Scott has, at the very least, got to be in this conversation as well. Though I doubt there's any on here who would of saw him play.

Quick Reply