Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who is Liverpool's greatest ever goalkeeper?

Ray Clemence
      28 (57.1%)
      Bruce Grobbelaar
      3 (6.1%)
      Pepe Reina
      2 (4.1%)
      Alisson Becker
      16 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Our greatest ever goalkeeper

Read 6770 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Our greatest ever goalkeeper
      Reply #46: Dec 16, 2019 08:27:34 am
      By popularity then. Results are also influenced by age distribution or the generation of this board. It's another great way of looking at it.

Exactly.  My fave will always be Brucey. Clemence the best.

Allison can become a legend when we win the league, but Adrian will have to get an honorable mention for this season already, probably cult hero goalie. ;D

Dudek also, champions league winner. :-)
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #47: Dec 16, 2019 10:52:39 am
      Was born in 1993 which is way after the Clemence years but it'd be hard to argue against him being the best.

Elisha Scott is a name which also gets spoken about as being one of the greats, supposedly the first "King of the Kop" as he was apparently the first Liverpool player to have a recognized chant. Unfortunately he was between the sticks during the 20's & 30's so there'll be very minimal (if any) footage of him plying his trade.

Ability-wise Alisson is the best that I've seen with my own eyes, by some margin too. Which is quite the compliment because Pepe Reina was absolutely brilliant also. Especially during the first few years of his career 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: Dec 16, 2019 12:00:55 pm

Dudek for that final his double save which I still cant believe he did and his penalty saves is a legend we owe him so much for that night.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Dec 16, 2019 12:07:10 pm
      Dudek for that final his double save which I still cant believe he did and his penalty saves is a legend we owe him so much for that night.

And now Grobelaar for lifting the Anfield witch doctor curse!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #50: Dec 16, 2019 12:14:42 pm

Still can't believe he got away with those penalty saves. He was that far off his line he was basically squaring up to the Milan players by the time the ball had left their foot.

He was prone to the odd clanger but always seemed to step up when it mattered. I remember him keeping a clean sheet & getting MOTM in a League Cup final against United about 15 years ago. One of the best goalkeeping performances I've witnessed from a Liverpool keeper
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #51: Dec 16, 2019 12:17:31 pm
      And now Grobelaar for lifting the Anfield witch doctor curse!

He brought the bloody witch doctor in the first place during his testimonial.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #52: Dec 16, 2019 12:18:34 pm
      Still can't believe he got away with those penalty saves. He was that far off his line he was basically squaring up to the Milan players by the time the ball had left their foot.

He was prone to the odd clanger but always seemed to step up when it mattered. I remember him keeping a clean sheet & getting MOTM in a League Cup final against United about 15 years ago. One of the best goalkeeping performances I've witnessed from a Liverpool keeper

He owed us that after the Forlan clanger during the Utd league game at Anfield.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #53: Dec 17, 2019 12:21:57 am
      Grobberlaar for me.  I thought Pepe Reina would take him over but was here long enough.  I can see why Clemence is at the top he was magnificent even in his twilight years at spurs can only imagine how he was at Liverpool at his peak.  Allison has the potential to take the mantel but will need to be here for a while because Bruce and Ray were here for well over 10 years about 14 years each.  Can't achieve them legacies  in a few years.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #54: Dec 24, 2019 09:42:05 pm
      Why did Ray Clemence leave? I mean surely wasn't because he was over the hill he played the best part of the 80's.  Just interest to know from the older guy in here.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #55: Dec 24, 2019 10:10:59 pm
      Why did Ray Clemence leave? I mean surely wasn't because he was over the hill he played the best part of the 80's.  Just interest to know from the older guy in here.
      Grob came in and told him he was taking his place at least Thas what he told me couple of weeks back .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #56: Dec 24, 2019 10:13:46 pm
      He brought the bloody witch doctor in the first place during his testimonial.

And all these years people have been blaming Stevie!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #57: Dec 24, 2019 10:28:16 pm
      Grob came in and told him he was taking his place at least Thas what he told me couple of weeks back .

Seriously? And that was it.  Or did he believe Paisley was going to give Bruce the gloves.   Because Clemence was very good at Spurs.  I didn't watch him regularly but when I did he was damn good at spurs and definitely one of the best goalies in the league. 
      « Last Edit: Dec 25, 2019 12:44:39 am by king kenny »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #58: Dec 25, 2019 12:42:02 am
      Clem all day every day twice on Sunday,  this fella was head ,shoulders & nipples above anyone else and i include Shilton, Bonnetti, Pat Jennings and even Gordon Banks,
      He was robbed of many many England caps by England manager's preferring golden bollocks Shilton rather than a 'Scouse ' Clemence,
      There is No doubt in my mind that the goons at the FA had influenced their managers at the time and most definitely seen Shilton as the perfect little Englander,
      He was a great keeper of course but Clem was better, and I'd put him right up there alongside your Dino Zoff's and Lev Yashin,

As for Allison,  he's a way to go yet for legendary status but he's definitely on the right path and will get there, but not quite yet .

YNWA

Agree that Clem was OUR best ever goalie, but draw the line in saying he was better than Gordon Banks. The greatest attribute Clem had was he was a great reader of the game and he seemed to be in the right position all the time, as well as being the first sweeper goalie. As well was a that I knew Clem quite well, hisforename being the same as mine, (so not doubt that colours my judgment,) and had a photo taken with him and Kevin Keegan at Tommy Lawrence's funeral. Will post the photo sometime if I can find it. By the way how do you post a photo on here?
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #59: Dec 25, 2019 12:43:37 am

Allegedly women trouble, but won't go into detail about it for obvious reasons.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #60: Dec 25, 2019 01:58:00 am
      Seriously? And that was it.  Or did he believe Paisley was going to give Bruce the gloves.   Because Clemence was very good at Spurs.  I didn't watch him regularly but when I did he was damn good at spurs and definitely one of the best goalies in the league. 
      Allegedly women trouble, but won't go into detail about it for obvious reasons.
      I left that bit out it was mentioned but apparently it was because Grob told him he was coming in to take top spot , although the nanny did crop up 🙈🙈
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #61: Dec 25, 2019 07:25:41 am
      Agree that Clem was OUR best ever goalie, but draw the line in saying he was better than Gordon Banks. The greatest attribute Clem had was he was a great reader of the game and he seemed to be in the right position all the time, as well as being the first sweeper goalie. As well was a that I knew Clem quite well, hisforename being the same as mine, (so not doubt that colours my judgment,) and had a photo taken with him and Kevin Keegan at Tommy Lawrence's funeral. Will post the photo sometime if I can find it. By the way how do you post a photo on here?

I agree with your assessment about Gordon Banks,we had some battles with him in the 1960's.In fact it was rumoured that he was coming to L.F.C. at one time and I would say you are spot on regarding Ray Clemence.I had a photo from the Echo showing Gordon Banks laughing at St John after Leicester had beaten us in a F.A.Cup Tie. I still think Clem was our best goalie but it looks as if Alisson will surpass him if he continues with his present form.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Dec 25, 2019 02:06:34 pm
      Technically Allison is the best we've ever had but hard to compare GK's from different eras, they were all very good goalkeepers, to think we went from that to Migs and Karius!
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #63: Dec 25, 2019 02:30:41 pm
      Dudek, that 2005 final performance was breathtaking. Call it luck, call it skill, sh*t was breathtaking.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Dec 25, 2019 03:02:31 pm
      On the basis that most things progress Alisson will probably prove to be the best. Clemence was possible the best from our history, shouldn’t be forgotten that he learned a lot from Tommy Lawrence. It was Tommy that very often was almost a sweeper. Clem kept that going.

Pepe was strongest in the air. Mig saved 8 Pens. Ray saved 9.Grob 13. Thought Kirkland was going to do well but he never kicked on.Obviously has to be remembered that we have, in most cases had top internationals in front of our keeper and very often they only had one or two saves to make.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #65: Dec 25, 2019 03:24:33 pm
      On the basis that most things progress Alisson will probably prove to be the best. Clemence was possible the best from our history, shouldn’t be forgotten that he learned a lot from Tommy Lawrence. It was Tommy that very often was almost a sweeper. Clem kept that going.

Pepe was strongest in the air. Mig saved 8 Pens. Ray saved 9.Grob 13. Thought Kirkland was going to do well but he never kicked on.Obviously has to be remembered that we have, in most cases had top internationals in front of our keeper and very often they only had one or two saves to make.

Yeah i agree, probably Alisson will be proved as the best one we ever had, still a bit early in his LFC career to call him the best one ever.

Quick Reply