Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Two Year Extension, Two Hundred Games

Read 1876 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Two Year Extension, Two Hundred Games
      Dec 15, 2019 10:40:05 pm
      So the next time he plays for Liverpool will be James Milner's 200th Liverpool appearance.

He'll be the 110th player to achieve that feat for the club and possibly the oldest to do so at the time of their 200th game. That's just a guess though, I really couldn't say one way or the other for sure. But whether he is or not, it's a fantastic achievement for somebody who in all honesty I groaned at when we signed, even on a freebie.

After watching his career from Leeds to Newcastle to Villa to City and countless England games, he always struck me as a genuinely below average player. I didn't see what he provided. He was apparently a good crosser of a ball and I never saw him put a decent ball in. The only real trait he had that I thought would be beneficial to us was his versatility.

And F**k me, has his versatility been beneficial to us over the years. Playing an entire season at left back and doing very little wrong. But since he's been a Liverpool player, I've began to appreciate his other qualities. He's got a fantastic attitude, doesn't moan and groan that he's not a regular starter. Doesn't kick up a fuss about playing out of position. He's got a good experienced head as well, knows when to pick up the fouls and see games out. And there's very few people I'd pick over him to score a crucial last minute penalty over Jimmy.

You can tell he's become an invaluable part of this squad.

Never gonna be the superstar or the headline act but a F***ing solid hand when called upon. And I think he's a player who Klopp, and the whole squad, have real trust in.

Quite possibly our best, non-forward, number 7.

Fantastic achievement James Milner and with the extra two years you've just been handed, there's a chance of one or two more games before you hang up your boots for good.
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2019 10:57:38 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      +10
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: Two Year Extension, Two Hundred Games
      Reply #1: Dec 15, 2019 10:55:51 pm
      Thought exactly the same when he signed , but has been an exemplary player , what a role model for our talented youngsters, a real class act .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Dec 15, 2019 10:56:50 pm
      So the next time he plays for Liverpool will be James Milner's 200th Liverpool appearance.

He'll be the 110th player to achieve that feat for the club and possibly the oldest to do so at the time of their 200th game. That's just a guess though, I really couldn't say one way or the other for sure. But whether he is or not, it's a fantastic achievement for somebody who in all honesty I groaned at when we signed, even on a freebie.

After watching his career from Leeds to Newcastle to Villa to City and countless England games, he always struck me as a genuinely below average player. I didn't see what he provided. He was apparently a good crosser of a ball and I never saw him put a decent ball in. The only real trait he had that I thought would be beneficial to us was his versatility.

And f**k me, has his versatility been beneficial to us over the years. Playing an entire season at left back and doing very little wrong. But since he's been a Liverpool player, I've began to appreciate his other qualities. He's got a fantastic attitude, doesn't moan and groan that he's not a regular starter. Doesn't kick up a fuss about playing out of position. He's got a good experienced head as well, knows when to pick up the fouls and see games out. And there's very few people I'd pick over him to score a crucial last minute penalty over Jimmy.

You can tell he's become an invaluable part of this squad.

Never gonna be the superstar or the headline act but a f**king solid hand when called upon. And I think he's a player who Klopp, and the whole squad, have real trust me.

Quite possibly our best, non-forward, number 7.

Fantastic achievement James Milner and with the extra two years you've just been handed, there's a chance of one or two more games before you hang up your boots for good.

And a couple of  PL and CL Titles along with he way!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3: Dec 15, 2019 11:08:17 pm
      Was genuinely excited when he signed for us - you knew he was going to be great from the reaction of the city fans, they still hate him.

Earned those extra two years and I love what Klopp said about him - still wants to learn and improve.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #4: Dec 16, 2019 07:38:28 am
      And as well as doing a fantastic job for he seems to have the utmost respect from the rest of the players.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Dec 16, 2019 08:28:54 am
      Brilliant news he signed on for another 2 years.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #6: Dec 16, 2019 09:47:18 am
      I was actually excited when he signed. It was the summer Stevie left and it made sense to bring in a leader like Milly. He has been outstanding.

And as the OP suggests never complains if he is not a starter or what position he is used in. He probably sacrifices himself more than most for the good of the team. Delighted he signed for another 2 years!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #7: Dec 16, 2019 02:37:21 pm
      Never underestimate the value of a player that's "been there and done that" at all levels. His experience has been invaluable and like you say, he just goes about his business. A real workman. Love Milner and will be sad when he finally retires from the club.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Dec 16, 2019 02:53:13 pm
      Wanted us to go in for him when Leeds were imploding, but we got him in the end and he fully deserves a 2 year deal. No messing about with a one year deal.Did the right thing by the man. Had a few good free signings..Gary Mac etc but Milner is deffo the best.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: Dec 16, 2019 06:24:58 pm
      I watch many pre-season training sessions from Facebook live since I'm off with my teacher holidays. He is fit as anyone if not better. He is the man to beat in pre-season and he is 33. His qualities are essential with 'young' squad. Total professional with passion.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Dec 16, 2019 08:10:21 pm
      Why the F**k are we signing this old f**ker, was my reaction when Jimmy signed, but by F**k what a signing he has proven to be, you simply cannot buy experience and Jimmy has it in abundance, like DLS, i thought Milner was always decidedly average, when you look at the clubs he has played for none really have pulled up many trees, apart from City of course but he played in a side bought to win the league so no real surprise there, he played a role in that side and played very well obviously,

When that other old f**ker Gary Mac was signed by Gerard H, it was a stroke of genius,  this is no different, in fact it’s arguably a even better stroke of genius, no actually it is better, no argument at all,

For a player, in the twilight of his career, to still have the same passion as a newby, to still want to learn, have the skills and ability to play in different positions and play in them with style and elegance, to keep in line the levels of fitness required for the most difficult league anywhere in Europe if not the world, for a player of his age it is truly remarkable, and yet he remains so humble,  so glad he has penned a contract extension, no one deserves it more.

Three’s Only One Jimmy Milner, the Ribena man.

YNWA
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #11: Dec 16, 2019 09:20:16 pm
      I know Milner different type of player than Mcallister, but it feels the same, supporter wise, both were/ are class, but I feel we should have got them both earlier in thier careers.  Milner works so,so hard so I'm really happy for his extended contract.  Well deserved in my eyes and he still has a lot to offer
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #12: Dec 16, 2019 09:26:11 pm
      soz, just read Billy's post, did not mean to copy, in earnest

Quick Reply