Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Ki-Jana Hoever
      1 (1.5%)
      Morgan Boyes
      0 (0%)
      Sepp  van den Berg
      0 (0%)
      Tony Gallacher
      0 (0%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      1 (1.5%)
      Isaac Christie-Davies
      0 (0%)
      Herbie Kane
      2 (3%)
      Luis Longstaff
      0 (0%)
      Thomas Hill
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      62 (92.5%)
      Jack Bearne
      0 (0%)
      James Norris
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: Dec 21, 2019 09:35:50 pm

Aston Villa 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 15657 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Aston Villa 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #207: Dec 17, 2019 10:04:51 pm
      What this game does though is confirm my worries for the first team if we lose another central defender. We are very close to relying on either a midfielder in Hendo, Gini or Milner to play CB or asking Sep to play.

I dont think he is close to being ready if anything does happen back there. Not far from a transfer window and I do wonder if Klopp will look at it and make a short term move.

He has done it in the past with Caulker (answers on a post card with that) and I wonder if he will do it again.

I think on of the midfielders would be in the frame before the kids get a look in. You’d think that Gini, Henderson and Milner would all be in the running if it came to it. If one of the kids was needed I think Hoever would be the more likely option.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #208: Dec 17, 2019 10:09:05 pm
      Young Elliott looks like a cracking player doesn’t he! I thought he was the best on the park.

The rest did well on the ball and we looked good in possession. Unfortunately we lacked cutting edge up front without Brewster and defensively we were naive but the experience will stand them in good stead and players like Elliott and However (both of whom look like they have what it takes) will have benefited.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #209: Dec 17, 2019 10:20:50 pm
      Look this was part of their education and not just the 90 minutes. The build up, preparation, the game itself, taking the positives etc. The coaches will have learn't a lot and can see stuff to work on.

We all know only a few get through.For every TAA there's another 25 or more who will move on. Even on tonight's game Harvey Elliott looked good but we don't really know if he or anybody else will make it. I emjoyed it, we played some good stuff, unlucky once or twice with the goals..."so all good"..
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #210: Dec 17, 2019 10:27:24 pm
      Good experience for the youngsters to play at this level, is one of the positives to be taken from this game.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #211: Dec 17, 2019 10:30:02 pm
      It wasn't a pasting which for me was a big worry.  For a bunch a kids against a strong side with an average of 28 it was a brilliant start.  Then conceding 2 unlucky goals and 2 well taken goals which was basically having kids at the back.  Hoever was the best of the defenders.    Some good saves to not have scored ourselves.   I think we did better in the second half we did well keeping the ball well.  I think 4-0 up Villa took their foot off the gas was it to not over work themselves or was it in fear that the big brothers might take revenge in the league or sportsmanship ;D.   The kids were brilliant.  If only we had Brewster, Williams and Jones could have been a much closer game. 

The only other option was to not play the game and concede the tie.  The kids did well enough to have deserved the chance to play the game.  Elliot and Hoever were good especially Harvey Elliot he has stood out 3 games in a row.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #212: Dec 17, 2019 10:30:12 pm
      looks like terry went in to out dressing room after the game to congratulate the young lads

Touch of class by JT. Gets a bit of bad press but he's a genuine football man.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #213: Dec 17, 2019 10:35:36 pm
      Touch of class by JT. Gets a bit of bad press but he's a genuine football man.

Still a c**t though.. ask Wayne Bridge & Anton Ferdinand...
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #214: Dec 17, 2019 10:43:37 pm
      Harvey Elliott is a talent. Does he make the bench once or twice. Played in this cup aged 15 for Fulham. Came to us in July so he's still relatively new here. Might loan him back to Fulham but wouldn't go any lower than the Championship. Maybe build him up here this season then loan him in the 2021 Jan window when he will be coming up to 18.

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #215: Dec 17, 2019 10:44:23 pm
      Still a c**t though.. ask Wayne Bridge & Anton Ferdinand...

..point taken.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #216: Dec 17, 2019 10:45:55 pm
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #217: Dec 17, 2019 10:49:11 pm
      Harvey Elliott is a talent. Does he make the bench once or twice. Played in this cup aged 15 for Fulham. Came to us in July so he's still relatively new here. Might loan him back to Fulham but wouldn't go any lower than the Championship. Maybe build him up here this season then loan him in the 2021 Jan window when he will be coming up to 18.

I wouldn't consider sending him on loan this season.  He is 16 years old.  Training with the first team is gold dust for him at this age.  Getting on our bench should definitely be playing in the FA cup. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #218: Dec 17, 2019 10:52:34 pm
      I'm sure Jürgen appreciates your input..drop him a note.

With Gini, Dej and Fab injured, I think Williams and Jones were needed to give us 18 for the matchday lineup.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #219: Dec 17, 2019 10:53:13 pm
      What this game does though is confirm my worries for the first team if we lose another central defender. We are very close to relying on either a midfielder in Hendo, Gini or Milner to play CB or asking Sep to play.

funny i got cussed out on the forum in the summer for saying he shouldn't sell lovren without buying another CB. Now look at us.

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #220: Dec 17, 2019 10:55:07 pm
      I wouldn't consider sending him on loan this season.  He is 16 years old.  Training with the first team is gold dust for him at this age.  Getting on our bench should definitely be playing in the FA cup.

Yes...and no disrespect to the players he played with tonight, he will learn plenty if he gets on with the likes of Mo, Booby etc. Even the odd 10-15 minutes. And they will make more of his clever play.But it's still very early on.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #221: Dec 17, 2019 11:04:38 pm

That's the same with every team though. We have 4 CB's registered and that's pretty much the common thing, certainly for an attacking team, what's the point in having 5 or 6 with a couple who are very unlikely to play any part? If they don't play for ages then they get put in, it's not any less of a risk than playing Fab, Hendo or whoever else in defence. Plus if we've got a registered 5th CB then the chances are he is someway off the level we need anyway so again it's no better than a player from another position filling in. If there is one thing we've shown as a team over the last couple of years it's that we have a lot of versatility and ability to play in other areas of the pitch when needed. Think I remember a couple of years ago we played a back 3 with Gini and Can in it and won 3-0. There's always the chance of injuries and it's no different to if we had an injury crisis in any other area of the pitch and the chances are fairly remote that 3 or 4 CB's being injured all at the same time as Fab who is more than able to play CB, which is why we go into the season with 4. Taking up a 5th CB position then only reduces the depth we have elsewhere, to which you can then end up in a position of wondering why we went with 5 CBs, one who never plays and needing more cover higher up the pitch.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Live: Aston Villa V Liverpool [Carabao Cup QF]
      Reply #222: Dec 17, 2019 11:05:40 pm
      How devastating is that scoreline, feel sorry for the dubutants

Most of the starting line up lost 4-0 to spurs the other week in front of a couple of hundred people,think they'll be o.k.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #223: Dec 17, 2019 11:06:32 pm
      Yes...and no disrespect to the players he played with tonight, he will learn plenty if he gets on with the likes of Mo, Booby etc. Even the odd 10-15 minutes. And they will make more of his clever play.But it's still very early on.

Totally agree.  That little cameo that Jones played a couple of weeks ago in the first team was a lot more beneficial to his development than a full game like we have witnessed.   
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #224: Dec 17, 2019 11:23:39 pm
      Proud of the lads tonight. Put in a good performance and despite a few mistakes (completely understandable) they gave a good account of themselves. Never expected us to win the game and it's a shame that we have had to sacrifice a trophy because the FA couldn't help us out regarding the FIFA invite.

I know people say it's only the League Cup but it's not just that to me. We have a rich history with the competition and it
      feels like an insult to field our kids to appease the FA. Winning silverware is a habit and the FA have robbed us of a trophy in my opinion. I know we are going to win lots this Season but it would have been nice to be given a fair crack of the whip in this one.

I guess it's the price of success?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #225: Dec 18, 2019 01:10:17 am
      Proud of the lads tonight. Put in a good performance and despite a few mistakes (completely understandable) they gave a good account of themselves. Never expected us to win the game and it's a shame that we have had to sacrifice a trophy because the FA couldn't help us out regarding the FIFA invite.

I know people say it's only the League Cup but it's not just that to me. We have a rich history with the competition and it
      feels like an insult to field our kids to appease the FA. Winning silverware is a habit and the FA have robbed us of a trophy in my opinion. I know we are going to win lots this Season but it would have been nice to be given a fair crack of the whip in this one.

I guess it's the price of success?

Agree with all of this, especially the League Cup being a worthwhile competion, but is it the FA or the EFL that screwed us? My undertanding is that we wanted to move this fixture to Jan. 8 to avoid the conflict with the CWC, but the EFL wouldn't allow it. Or was it the FA who wouldn't budge on possible replay dates for their Cup?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #226: Dec 18, 2019 05:16:05 am
      I thought the kids were absolutely  brilliant, they took the game to Villa first 20 mins and looked the more accomplished side, and with a bit more composure could have taken the lead, but it’s a cruel cruel sport at times so to fall behind against the run of play and then compound it with that freak goal was a heart sinker for those young lads,
      They probably knew then that their race was run @ 2-0 and perhaps that lead to further mistakes, look we were never going to beat a more experienced X1 and one with 8 internationals when we had two debutants, only one with league experience (Kane) and the rest academy hopefuls, Hoever & Elliot were excellent and showed their potential, in particular young Elliot, he has a very bright future no doubt about it,

A touch of class handing his shirt to that young fan at the end, those young lads can take a lorry load of pride with them in whatever lies ahead, they represented the club at a time when the club were more or less bullied into playing two games practically at the same time, but the experience gained will stand them in good stead going forward.

Well done young lads, you did yourselves and the club proud.

EDIT;
       Apparently John Terry has a bit of class about him after all...and as pointed out above...he’s still a c**t ....a nicer c**t all the same, but Still..... A c**t !

YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #227: Dec 18, 2019 07:51:10 am
      Well done boys. never deserved that score at all. MOTM for me was the villa goalie, says it all really.

If they hadnt scored the 2 lucky early goals, I reckon they would have got more nervous, our lads pressed & attacked them brilliantly, and got suckered on the break.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #228: Dec 18, 2019 08:46:09 am
      Played very well last night and could have been two up within the first 8 or so minutes. Villa then managed to bag two extremely lucky goals straight after to rub salt in the wounds & that seemed to be the story of the game.

The players can be very proud of themselves as can the reds who travelled up to support the team who were in excellent voice. Particularly enjoyed the "We're going to have a party when Boris Johnson dies", "Maggies in the mud" and "F**k the tories" chants. Hopefully they all become regulars in the travelling Kop songbook
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #229: Dec 18, 2019 10:11:01 am
      Cant wait for Villa to come to Anfield when they have to play the Adults in the Family think there may be some payback.
      Still reflecting on how much these lads will have taken from this I think one of the big differences is being able to be switched on for every second of the game. The fans were amazing how many other teams just would not have bothered knowing the team we put out.

Quick Reply