Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2 games, 2 cups

Read 20413 times
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Re: 2 games, 2 cups
      Reply #138: Dec 12, 2019 10:47:39 pm
      Be a massive up yours to FIFA and the whole Qatar thing if they sent to the kids for the club world cup.

But, obviously, they won't.  Good luck in the semi's to Villa.

Totally agree, but the consequenses whould be harsh, why make probs for yourself when FIFA rule the roust.
      Fkin hate them
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #139: Dec 13, 2019 03:29:00 am
      I think the CWC will be prioritized but I would prefer we send the younger squad to Quatar due to the travel. That's a long flight for our first team. Then to come back and play league matches again is going to be tough.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #140: Dec 13, 2019 11:51:34 am
      I think the CWC will be prioritized but I would prefer we send the younger squad to Quatar due to the travel. That's a long flight for our first team. Then to come back and play league matches again is going to be tough.

Nope, it's a way more important trophy than League Cup ! Should take our best team to Qatar and win the thing. It will boost even more our morale. And then smash Leicester to wrap it up !
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #141: Dec 18, 2019 12:09:05 am
      Nope, it's a way more important trophy than League Cup ! Should take our best team to Qatar and win the thing. It will boost even more our morale. And then smash Leicester to wrap it up !

Is the European Super Cup more important than the League Cup?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #142: Dec 18, 2019 08:12:46 am
      Is the European Super Cup more important than the League Cup?

Yes, everything is more important than the League cup apart from the Charity shield
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #143: Dec 18, 2019 01:43:42 pm
      Why not the Charity Shield?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #144: Dec 18, 2019 02:39:03 pm
      The bottom line is there are too many competitions and too few days in a year to seriously compete in everything.

Seems like every football organization has a competition or maybe two to try and get more cash into their coffers. Some competitions are older and some are newer but the common denominator is that nobody seems willing to give an inch to accommodate one another and, ultimately, the players who are supposed to play the games.

You've got the league, two domestic cups, a domestic SuperCup, a continental Supercup, a continental Champions League and if you fall out of that on a certain stage, a backup-champions league.

They are adding a third continental competition in Europe and talking about expanding the number of matches played in the Champions League group stage. Apparently FIFA is going to make the Club World Cup  more like the other world cup, with 32 teams playing every four years so that will have to be tucked into the overall calendar somehow.

There's always been international football but now along with World Cup and European qualifiers (and finals), we've got the Nations League and then the Nations League playoffs (Robbo) to add more fixtures to the calendar. They are going to expand the World cup schedule after this next one and I'm sure there are some other things in the works.

It is clear that football players these days play too many matches, and in reality (unlike in Football Manager) - you can't have a 40-player squad to accommodate all of it. The close season seems to get shorter and shorter and that HAS to impact players fitness and longevity over the course of their careers.

I don't know if the club will continue to approach the League Cup this way. We may not always be playing in the Club World Cup but even when we don't there's still too many fixtures. Some people say England should not having a 2nd domestic cup, but I don't think the interests of 5 or 6 clubs should be the tail wagging the dog for the other 86 or whatever it is in the top four tiers of the pyramid.

It may be that teams who qualify for the Champions League  or European football in general should not play in it in those years, but I would not be in favor of scrapping the League Cup. I think the idea of a Club World Championship is logical, but there is such a disparity in the level of football between UEFA, South America and the rest of the world it will always be imperfect.

Ultimately something will have to give. Everyone associated with Liverpool has been bending over backward to reassure the kids who played last night that they did themselves proud, and rightfully so, but more often than not this is the type of result you will get with that sort of matchup. If we are OK with sending our kids (and not even our best kids) out to take a hiding like that - for the sake of the experience - OK, but I think at some point the EFL or the FA or both will have show a little wisdom in order to preserve players and the integrity of their competitions.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #145: Dec 18, 2019 03:56:50 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      The bottom line is there are too many competitions and too few days in a year to seriously compete in everything.

Seems like every football organization has a competition or maybe two to try and get more cash into their coffers. Some competitions are older and some are newer but the common denominator is that nobody seems willing to give an inch to accommodate one another and, ultimately, the players who are supposed to play the games.

You've got the league, two domestic cups, a domestic SuperCup, a continental Supercup, a continental Champions League and if you fall out of that on a certain stage, a backup-champions league.

They are adding a third continental competition in Europe and talking about expanding the number of matches played in the Champions League group stage. Apparently FIFA is going to make the Club World Cup  more like the other world cup, with 32 teams playing every four years so that will have to be tucked into the overall calendar somehow.

There's always been international football but now along with World Cup and European qualifiers (and finals), we've got the Nations League and then the Nations League playoffs (Robbo) to add more fixtures to the calendar. They are going to expand the World cup schedule after this next one and I'm sure there are some other things in the works.

It is clear that football players these days play too many matches, and in reality (unlike in Football Manager) - you can't have a 40-player squad to accommodate all of it. The close season seems to get shorter and shorter and that HAS to impact players fitness and longevity over the course of their careers.

I don't know if the club will continue to approach the League Cup this way. We may not always be playing in the Club World Cup but even when we don't there's still too many fixtures. Some people say England should not having a 2nd domestic cup, but I don't think the interests of 5 or 6 clubs should be the tail wagging the dog for the other 86 or whatever it is in the top four tiers of the pyramid.

It may be that teams who qualify for the Champions League  or European football in general should not play in it in those years, but I would not be in favor of scrapping the League Cup. I think the idea of a Club World Championship is logical, but there is such a disparity in the level of football between UEFA, South America and the rest of the world it will always be imperfect.

Ultimately something will have to give.

There's no right or wrong answer. People were complaining of there being too many games 30-40 years ago. It was roughly similar to what it is now and probably always will be. 60-65 games per season if you went all the way. The problem we have is that everything bar the EPL and the European Cup, is seen as an unwanted distraction. Which in itself is wrong. It's not healthy for players, management or fans to be obsessed with winning one competition to the exclusion of everything else. The top teams in Europe regularly win 2-3 competitions per year. That's what we should be looking to do as well.

I want us to play this WCC competition, as it means we are current European Champions, and I want us to win it. I remember watching other clubs win it for years, and wanting us to join them. This week, we have another chance. I know Bayern would rather be playing Monterrey tonight instead of Freiburg. I know Real would rather be playing Flamengo at the weekend instead of Athletic Bilbao. And I would rather play Flamengo instead of West Ham in the freezing cold. I want us to win the league like everyone else, but I also want us to win as many other trophies as possible. We are very fortunate to have a chance to win this competition, and hopefully, we will take it this time.
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2019 04:20:09 pm by lfc across the water »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #146: Dec 20, 2019 03:30:27 pm
      New into my top 10 Jürgen quotes of all time - perhaps to close the thread:

"Flamengo got sent here from their continent with a clear order to win it and to come back as heroes. We got told, 'Stay at home and play the Carabao Cup'."
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #147: Dec 20, 2019 03:49:09 pm
      Is that real quote,brilliant.

Quick Reply