Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Flamengo v. Liverpool CWC Final Sat 21st Dec 17:30

Read 6155 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Flamengo v. Liverpool CWC Final Sat 21st Dec 17:30
      Dec 19, 2019 04:33:26 pm
      So we're in the final.

From 5,000 feet above I can say assuredly that Flamengo will have a much more involved attack than Monterrey did. Monterrey had players who could really strike a ball and obviously forced Alisson to make some great saves, but the Brazilian club can get forward MUCH quicker, both down the wings and via combining through the middle. They are just much more dynamic. So our defence including midfielders, is going to have play much more up to its usual standard.

Obviously having Virgil back would help, but it's more than just that. We didn't have Fabinho, Gini or Henderson in midfield and that made us very porous. Flamengo could exploit that even more effectively than Monterrey did.

Likely Fab and Gini are still missing on Saturday. Hendo in midfield would help but the rest of the options are mainly attacking players it seems to me.

I wonder if the best option for Saturday is to just go for it, to show every bit of attacking firepower we have, fullbacks bombing forward, first choice front three interweaving with those two and Keita, not worrying much about conceding because we'll just score another one then. This isn't a sustainable tactic over the season but maybe as a one-off it would be the way to go, given our personnel issues. Would likely be fun to watch, at any rate.

Hopefully those six attacking players and our goalkeeper can have special performances all at once, with our defensive group putting in an industrious shift for us. Let's make it a night/day to remember.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Re: Flamengo v. Liverpool CWC Final Sat 21st Dec 17:30
      Reply #1: Dec 19, 2019 04:42:34 pm
      I cant say that i am excited about this final, of course i wish the boys to win it but i wont be gutted if we lose it too. Just wish best of luck to them.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Dec 19, 2019 04:46:49 pm
      I cant say that i am excited about this final, of course i wish the boys to win it but i wont be gutted if we lose it too. Just wish best of luck to them.

Totally disagree, we never have won it so we need to go for it. It will give us more confidence!!!

NB: Team no longer available
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #3: Dec 19, 2019 04:49:24 pm
      Totally disagree, we never have won it so we need to go for it. It will give us more confidence!!!
      No thats awesome, im glad people are excited about it and i will be glad if we win it, im just pretty indifferent about it.

Thats an impressive first team btw... i really hope i will see Gomez as the stable first team defender in the future.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      Reply #4: Dec 19, 2019 04:59:16 pm
      No thats awesome, im glad people are excited about it and i will be glad if we win it, im just pretty indifferent about it.

Thats an impressive first team btw... i really hope i will see Gomez as the stable first team defender in the future.

I want to win it but yes I do not want any injuries!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5: Dec 19, 2019 05:05:36 pm
      it would be a fitting end to an incredible year for the Club. Jürgen will not match Sir Bob's record or even Shankly's but he can be the first to elevate this club to World Champion Status and I think he deserves to be seen in this unique way.
      I hope he realises just how much we respect him as our manager and as a man. Saturday these lads will see this as a chance to become immortal and to do what no other Liverpool team has done I don't think they will let this opportunity pass them by
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #6: Dec 19, 2019 05:06:49 pm
      Surely full strength we'll have more than what Flamengo can handle and should be able to contain their attacks. I'm more concerned about their cheating and dirty tricks, does anyone know who the ref is, hopefully not another South American.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #7: Dec 19, 2019 05:19:42 pm
      Surely full strength we'll have more than what Flamengo can handle and should be able to contain their attacks. I'm more concerned about their cheating and dirty tricks, does anyone know who the ref is, hopefully not another South American.
      Here, decipher this: http://fifa.pressfire.net/media/newsletter/List-of-Appointed-Match-Officials-FIFA-CWC-Qatar-2019.pdf
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #8: Dec 19, 2019 05:23:34 pm
      it would be a fitting end to an incredible year for the Club. Jürgen will not match Sir Bob's record or even Shankly's but he can be the first to elevate this club to World Champion Status and I think he deserves to be seen in this unique way.
      I hope he realises just how much we respect him as our manager and as a man. Saturday these lads will see this as a chance to become immortal and to do what no other Liverpool team has done I don't think they will let this opportunity pass them by

Being world champions would really suit this club of ours. It'll be a tough match on Saturday but the team will give all they can.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Dec 19, 2019 05:52:12 pm
      If Virgil is back I'm confident of a win, if hes not, then all bets are off really.

Virgils presence would complete the defence and allow Hendo to slot into midfield to complete that.

3 attack minded midfielders, with Hendo in the centre of defence again, that's asking for trouble.

I'm expecting this to be a proper game of football played at a decent intensity. This is their everything and they will be coming for us.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #10: Dec 19, 2019 06:01:06 pm

Yep thats look good to me all depends on whether Gini and Virgil fit though gut feeling Gini wont make it
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,275 posts | 762 
      Reply #11: Dec 19, 2019 06:06:50 pm
      Feel this side can beat anyone on their day under Jürgen Klopp. Putting in a good performance & winning another trophy will be a great end to the year.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      Reply #12: Dec 19, 2019 06:25:27 pm
      Yep thats look good to me all depends on whether Gini and Virgil fit though gut feeling Gini wont make it

If not Milner or AOC then.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Dec 19, 2019 07:00:26 pm

Agree with you. Let's be careful about rushing Gini back, mind.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      Reply #14: Dec 19, 2019 07:31:48 pm
      Agree with you. Let's be careful about rushing Gini back, mind.

Then as I said in my last post, Milner or AOC.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Dec 19, 2019 07:51:33 pm

Good side Clint and one I believe MOST would go for, but i don't think Gini will make it, hope I'm wrong but he's most definitely a doubt, be happy enough tho if the Ox takes the field in his stead,

Flamenco looked decent on the front foot but not so going backwards, I think without stating the obvious we can exploit the spaces behind and between the lines,
      NEED Virgil back for this even if he's not 100%, a 90% Virgil is better than a 110% Henderson impersonating a CB,

ANYHOO,  both sides will be full on so we could be treated to a wee goal scoring bonanza,  in the end it may be decided by who has the tightest defence and the best keeper, and the fittest squad,
      No prizes for guessing who wins that argument !

3-2 Mighty Redmen  AET

YNWA
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #16: Dec 19, 2019 07:52:20 pm
      Looking forward to the game on Saturday, will record the Man City, Leicester game so a fair wacky of football for me on Saturday
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Dec 19, 2019 08:34:20 pm

Imagine the REDS parading that cup around Anfield B4 the next league match-ELECTRIC.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      Reply #18: Dec 19, 2019 08:37:40 pm
      Imagine the REDS parading that cup around Anfield B4 the next league match-ELECTRIC.
      Streets are packed with red flags, crowd is chanting, flares are burning... damn man, that is always a glorious sight.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #19: Dec 19, 2019 10:22:31 pm
      Lets put this in our trophy cabinet and do it the legitimate way.  Not by being a wild card!   
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: Dec 19, 2019 11:07:17 pm
      Lets get it.

Watched the semi v River Plate and RP were superior most of the game.

Its goals that count and Flamengo got it at the death.

Im more comfortable facing them than I would have been RP.

Still a dangerous team ... but I think our name on this as WORLD CHAMPIONS

Get well Virgil.   Your club needs you .
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,696 posts | 880 
      Reply #21: Dec 19, 2019 11:30:54 pm
      What PL team is Flamengo equivalent to?
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,986 posts | 222 
      Reply #22: Dec 19, 2019 11:36:51 pm
      Us