Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Who are your favourite cult heroes?

Read 2635 times
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Who are your favourite cult heroes?
      Dec 21, 2019 06:55:34 am
      Like one of the guys kindly explained in one of the former player topics there is a good difference between a cult hero and a true hero and the main difference is:

Cult hero will do it the odd game here or there or be liked cos you've broken two manc legs like Ruddock.

Real hero's like Dalglish, Barnes, Rush or for the younger lot Gerrard, Mo, Sadio, VVD, Alisson etc turn up and do the business every game on a consistent basis.

So basically a player who is not a top player but for this reason or that he was loved by the crowd.

I would really like to know who are yours favorite cult heroes because i am sure every club have quite a few and those players are usually quite a character and there is always a good story behind that how they become a cult hero.
      So share, who were your favorite cult heroes, how did they become one, is there any good story behind them?

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2019 02:42:12 pm by JD »
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Re: Who are yours favorite cult heroes?
      Reply #1: Dec 21, 2019 08:53:04 am
      I dont know could you consider him a cult hero but dAgger definitely has a spot in my heart.
      He looked to me like a guy that deserved fear and respect on the pitch and he was a tough guy. He also never hid his love for Liverpool and he is still taking place in some charity and friendly matches with Liverpool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByhpzmFp0yE/
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2: Dec 21, 2019 09:29:13 am
      Lucas Leiva.

Never our best player, so much heart and, considering the players around him at times, was our best player on the day, far too often.

Much maligned by a section of our fanbase who seem to need a scapegoat in midfield.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #3: Dec 21, 2019 09:38:08 am
      Has to be dudek for me
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #4: Dec 21, 2019 09:44:48 am
      Go for Jan Molby seemingly adapted himself to the Liverpool way of life.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #5: Dec 21, 2019 10:19:12 am
      Lucas Leiva.

Never our best player, so much heart and, considering the players around him at times, was our best player on the day, far too often.

Much maligned by a section of our fanbase who seem to need a scapegoat in midfield.
      Yeah i agree, if nothing you could always expect him not to stop for ninety minutes, i always check on him how is he doing at Lazio, top fella.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #6: Dec 21, 2019 10:22:29 am
      What about pretty Petty :D I was always afraid watching him run, those legs were so skinny and thin that on telly it looked like they could snap any time. Scored a few bangers for us too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOkwUy3jpU

At 03:45 the guy that passed it to Riise, was that Bellamy?
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2019 10:26:43 am by Pear »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #7: Dec 21, 2019 11:35:07 am
      A cult hero is somebody who is admired by a small audience despite only achieving limited mainstream success. So in footballing terms that would be somebody who is still adored at Liverpool without having much recognition from the wider football world.

Luis Garcia is the standout for me. My favourite all time player, still absolutely adored and even to this day his song still gets regularly sung. A real big game player - scored in every knockout round in the 2005 Champions League, The 2006 FA Cup semi final and in a few derbys as well. Was also the first player I can remember to pen one of those "farewell letters" which are common place now when players leave. So he'll always be fondly remembered by supporters for that too.

Another one I'd throw in would be Maxi Rodriguez. Probably signed him a couple of years too late but he did have a patch under Dalglish towards the end of the 2011 season when he was incredible. Scored back to back hattricks if I remember. He's another one who had a great song which still gets regular airings to this day
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2019 12:11:39 pm
      A cult hero is somebody who is admired by a small audience despite only achieving limited mainstream success. So in footballing terms that would be somebody who is still adored at Liverpool without having much recognition from the wider football world.

Luis Garcia is the standout for me. My favourite all time player, still absolutely adored and even to this day his song still gets regularly sung. A real big game player - scored in every knockout round in the 2005 Champions League, The 2006 FA Cup semi final and in a few derbys as well. Was also the first player I can remember to pen one of those "farewell letters" which are common place now when players leave. So he'll always be fondly remembered by supporters for that too.

Another one I'd throw in would be Maxi Rodriguez. Probably signed him a couple of years too late but he did have a patch under Dalglish towards the end of the 2011 season when he was incredible. Scored back to back hattricks if I remember. He's another one who had a great song which still gets regular airings to this day

Luis Garcia is a great shout. F***ing quality on his day and made me get the white away shirt at the time with his name on it after the goal that knocked the chavs out.

That goal against Juventus was pure class!

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2019 12:16:46 pm
      A few names spring to mind for me, there are many players/ servants to LFC down the years who imo were cult heroes, so it’s difficult to pinpoint one individual as the No1, one or two i didn’t witness playing and one or two who I did, one of my favourite servants of LFC is the one and Only Bob Paisley,

This fella gave most of his life to Liverpool, from player, to Physio, to coach assistant manager and Manager, and what a manager he was, the history nerds will tell you Ferguson as the most successful manager in British football history, but I don’t agree,  Sir Bob won more silverware in a shorter space of time including 3 European cups in a time where it was a straight knockout competition unlike today where a league format before knockout allows a more easier route  to the latter stages,

Bob came across as a nice old fella, but cross him  and you’d suffer his wrath, he was a tactical genius and knew not only his own players persons’s but that of opposition player’s, 
      Bob was such a modest fella, kept his feet firmly on the ground, and that is part of the reason he steered Liverpool Fc through all the glory years, then passed the baton onto Joe Fagan and subsequently King Kenny.

Tommy Smith,
       the Anfield Iron,  solid as a rock, reliable, hard as nails, for opposing player their mantra was, Don’t mess with Tommy hell F**k you up good and proper, he was one of the hardest players of his generation, up there with chopper Harris & Norman ‘break your legs’ Hunter,  assassins  of that era,
      Of Tommy Smith, Shanks said , Tommy Smith wasn’t born, he was Quarried, they don’t make them like Tommy anymore. Brilliant player, even better centre half.

There are loads of names that spring to mind, players such as Sami Hyypia, Patrick Berger,  Sammy Lee, Jan Molby, Xabi Alonso, etc etc, Ive probably missed many name across the decades from 1976 onwards, that’s when I joined our family,  so to actually pin cult hero to one individual is nigh on impossible.

Great topic though.

YNWA

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #10: Dec 21, 2019 12:26:17 pm
      Luis Garcia is a great shout. F***ing quality on his day and made me get the white away shirt at the time with his name on it after the goal that knocked the chavs out.

That goal against Juventus was pure class!

Was in the upper Anfield Rd end for that Juve volley, couldn't believe it when it sailed into the net - against the best goalkeeper in the world too!

Used to love him, he was one of those unique footballers who could play like sh*t one week and then be unplayable the next. His farewell letter cemented his status for me, obviously this was pre-social media so it was pretty rare for players to release that sort of stuff.

Try and read it without crying!

https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2048
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #11: Dec 21, 2019 12:31:48 pm
      A few names spring to mind for me, there are many players/ servants to LFC down the years who imo were cult heroes, so it’s difficult to pinpoint one individual as the No1, one or two i didn’t witness playing and one or two who I did, one of my favourite servants of LFC is the one and Only Bob Paisley,

This fella gave most of his life to Liverpool, from player, to Physio, to coach assistant manager and Manager, and what a manager he was, the history nerds will tell you Ferguson as the most successful manager in British football history, but I don’t agree,  Sir Bob won more silverware in a shorter space of time including 3 European cups in a time where it was a straight knockout competition unlike today where a league format before knockout allows a more easier route  to the latter stages,

Bob came across as a nice old fella, but cross him  and you’d suffer his wrath, he was a tactical genius and knew not only his own players persons’s but that of opposition player’s, 
      Bob was such a modest fella, kept his feet firmly on the ground, and that is part of the reason he steered Liverpool Fc through all the glory years, then passed the baton onto Joe Fagan and subsequently King Kenny.

Tommy Smith,
       the Anfield Iron,  solid as a rock, reliable, hard as nails, for opposing player their mantra was, Don’t mess with Tommy hell f**k you up good and proper, he was one of the hardest players of his generation, up there with chopper Harris & Norman ‘break your legs’ Hunter,  assassins  of that era,
      Of Tommy Smith, Shanks said , Tommy Smith wasn’t born, he was Quarried, they don’t make them like Tommy anymore. Brilliant player, even better centre half.

There are loads of names that spring to mind, players such as Sami Hyypia, Patrick Berger,  Sammy Lee, Jan Molby, Xabi Alonso, etc etc, Ive probably missed many name across the decades from 1976 onwards, that’s when I joined our family,  so to actually pin cult hero to one individual is nigh on impossible.

Great topic though.

YNWA

Would you say Paisley and Smith were cult heroes mate? A cult hero would be somebody who is appreciated at Liverpool but not so much throughout he football world. I think Paisley and Smith are both pretty highly regarded outside of Liverpool (although I will say still not highly enough!)

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #12: Dec 21, 2019 12:33:37 pm
      Would you say Paisley and Smith were cult heroes mate? A cult hero would be somebody who is appreciated at Liverpool but not so much throughout he football world. I think Paisley and Smith are both pretty highly regarded outside of Liverpool (although I will say still not highly enough!)
      I would say Paisley is highly regarded through the world but as a manager, not sure how much as a player, although he is much more a Liverpool legend than a cult hero.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Dec 21, 2019 01:39:18 pm
      Easy Gerrard for me
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2019 01:44:47 pm by tezmac »
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #14: Dec 21, 2019 01:42:48 pm
      Was in the upper Anfield Rd end for that Juve volley, couldn't believe it when it sailed into the net - against the best goalkeeper in the world too!

Used to love him, he was one of those unique footballers who could play like sh*t one week and then be unplayable the next. His farewell letter cemented his status for me, obviously this was pre-social media so it was pretty rare for players to release that sort of stuff.

Try and read it without crying!

https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2048

Brilliant and touching letter, I remember it well. What a bloke and player on his day.

Great game and goal to be at as well mate.

I used to love watching him and stevie when I could get to games a few years ago.

Speaking of that, I was in the centenary stand near the scoreboard when Agger hit that rocket against West Ham and F**k me did that travel - another great goal  8)

bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #15: Dec 21, 2019 02:05:19 pm

Gerrard is a legend mate so not really a cult hero but absolutely brilliant so know where you’re coming from.

Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #16: Dec 21, 2019 02:50:57 pm
      Gerrard is a legend mate so not really a cult hero but absolutely brilliant so know where you’re coming from.

He was everyones hero, we could talk about him for days, who knows will we ever have a servant like him in the future. A dying kind of players unfortunately.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Who are your favourite cult heroes?
      Reply #17: Dec 21, 2019 04:15:57 pm
      Finnan, Hamann, Toure, Sakho, Maxi Rodriguez, Benayoun, Leiva and Matip.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Dec 21, 2019 04:29:54 pm

You may have a point there fella, if your a supporter of this great institution and can go back to the time where Bob was in his pomp, or Tommy for that matter then perhaps you are completely correct, however, if you fast forward a generation or two those two might not be as well regarded,

In Bob’s case, there are those out there who perhaps didn’t know he actually played, or was the Physio etc, and only see him as been a manager, to us elder folk, it’s akin to our brothers talking about Elisha Scott, a Albert Stubbins  or a Billy Liddle, in a more recent era,

Yes I suppose Bob & Tommy may have better notoriety, both are heroes as far as I am concerned, so I guess it’s up to the individual whether they put the word cult in front .

YNWA
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Dec 21, 2019 05:04:12 pm
      Us:Joey Jones

Others: Le Tizz

Fred Trueman as well..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20: Dec 21, 2019 05:06:57 pm
      Mark Walters, the stepover king with one trick.

The banter in the stands when he got the ball was F***ing epic.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #21: Dec 21, 2019 09:38:10 pm
      Origi
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #22: Dec 21, 2019 09:49:43 pm
      Haven’t had time to read the previous posts, but to list a few Fromm the current squad.
      Allison, VVD, Millie, Trent, Robbo,
      Mo, Sane, and more, but for me it has to be......
      Roberto Firminho.
      He is the unsung hero, who makes the connection from mid field to strikers. Not always on top form but works tirelessly, never give up, and if his assists aren’t enough, scores so many crucial goals, and always with a smile on his face.,
      One of the most important Liverpool players of all time for me.
      And what a character too.
      Love the fella, and long may he stay a part of Liverpool domination. 😁

Quick Reply