Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Flamengo?

Alisson
      2 (1.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      35 (32.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (3.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      24 (22.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      11 (10.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      29 (26.9%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Dec 25, 2019 08:06:38 pm

Flamengo 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26688 times
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: Flamengo 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Dec 21, 2019 08:48:32 pm
      Ask the Flamengo fans if it was insignificant, that was a great final between 2 very good teams.

It's a massive competition in Brazil from what I've heard, their rival's fans will be delighted and so will our Brazilian players.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #622: Dec 21, 2019 08:49:47 pm
      Honestly I didn't think Flamengo would be able to contain Liverpool for very long, let alone have more of the ball and create so many chances. It's a really good team but after 73 matches in 2019, some of the key starters are extremely tired and you could see how their pressing slowed down in the second half. Thought Rodrigo Caio (CB, number 3), Willian Arão (DM, number 5) and Bruno Henrique (winger/striker, number 27) were the best Flamengo players on the pitch. From Liverpool, thought Chamberlain was disappointing, and even more so that he's left the pitch injured. Gomez and Henderson were probably the best performers

Flamengo were good, apart from the pathetic play acting/diving which the referee lapped up, but our finishing was so bad today, we should have won that game by a big margin in ordinary time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #623: Dec 21, 2019 08:49:59 pm
      We should all complain to the slightly biased BBC for the bas**rds not showing the presentation

Tory fearing cu*ts
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #624: Dec 21, 2019 08:50:10 pm
      I'm sure the LFC Youtube channel will have something uploaded soon enough.

Yep, they better, their Inside Anfield is great  so I'm sure they will have some good footage up tomorrow.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #625: Dec 21, 2019 08:50:35 pm
      After 2 hours of sheer frustration this turned out to be quite a memorable evening. NOt much talk these days of Jürgen not winning finals is there. He must be immensely proud and incredibly satisfied with how he has improved this club and every player he comes into contact with
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #626: Dec 21, 2019 08:50:38 pm
      15000 Flamengo fans there, hardly an insignificant game for them
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #627: Dec 21, 2019 08:51:14 pm
      Joe Gomez was superb tonight, MOTM. If he stays injury free he could be a legend in the making.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #628: Dec 21, 2019 08:52:52 pm
      Joe Gomez was superb tonight, MOTM. If he stays injury free he could be a legend in the making.

10/10 game, I’ve said for ages that I genuinely believe that he will be right up there as the best defender in the world.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #629: Dec 21, 2019 08:53:15 pm
      Just so glad we scored such a clean clinical goal that the officials never had an option to rule it out.
      That was the only way we were gonna win it.
      That dissecting pass from Hendo, the lay off from Mane and the sublime twist and turn then finish from Bob was a thing of beauty. Under so much pressure, knowing a Flamengo player 10 yds from the play, could throw himself to the floor and it could be ruled out !
      Just F***ing Brilliant.
      I’ve  got no streem, BBC have closed down and I just can’t get enough of this win. 
      I’m not sleeping tonight that’s for sure. Going on a bender now.
      LFC, I’ve supported you since 1956 snd I love you more each day.
      Jürgen, you certainly have awoken a sleeping giant. Love you too.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #630: Dec 21, 2019 08:53:36 pm
      After 2 hours of sheer frustration this turned out to be quite a memorable evening. NOt much talk these days of Jürgen not winning finals is there. He must be immensely proud and incredibly satisfied with how he has improved this club and every player he comes into contact with

Liverpool are just so hard to beat at the moment, long may it continue.

Special times mate
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #631: Dec 21, 2019 08:53:51 pm
      Get in! It was far from a vintage performance again, better than our first game but not great. But its always difficult when you don’t know who you are actually facing until a couple of days before so you go into these games far less prepared than usual.

Found myself pissed off most the game, not because of the missed chances or the performance, but the way Flamengo went about it. The amount of play acting and flying to the ground whenever we got close was ridiculous, the ref went for it every time. Then how Diego wasn’t sent off I’m not sure; I thought if you went in 2 footed, with both feet clearly off the ground was a red card regardless of contact made...the intent was there and Milly got lucky to escape without a big injury.

The farce over the VAR too, was clear contact and was a free kick...again questionably would have been lucky to stay on the pitch too as last man in a goal scoring opportunity.
      Then that lad who walked a 10 yards, sat down laughing, stretchered off and ran straight back.

Thought our lads kept their heads well because you could see we were getting pissed off with it all.

It’s not been an enjoyable 2 games but feels damn good to have our 2nd trophy of the season.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #632: Dec 21, 2019 08:54:06 pm
      Honestly I didn't think Flamengo would be able to contain Liverpool for very long, let alone have more of the ball and create so many chances. It's a really good team but after 73 matches in 2019, some of the key starters are extremely tired and you could see how their pressing slowed down in the second half. Thought Rodrigo Caio (CB, number 3), Willian Arão (DM, number 5) and Bruno Henrique (winger/striker, number 27) were the best Flamengo players on the pitch. From Liverpool, thought Chamberlain was disappointing, and even more so that he's left the pitch injured. Gomez and Henderson were probably the best performers

Watched them in their CL final, and felt they'd give us a good game.

Do you only have one barber in Brasil, or is it like a cult thing, so many had the same haircut! :D
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #633: Dec 21, 2019 08:54:30 pm
      It's amazing though how competitive Flamengo was. They have old players that couldn't do it with top european clubs anymore (Diego, Rafinha) and younger ones that are not good enough for Europe where the big bucks roll. Therefore I was expecting a bigger difference, kind of like if a NBA team plays some european team, but it was a game with eye-to-eye contact. We really had to earn this Trophy.

Does somebody from the older folks know how serious Liverpool took this cup in the 70's and 80's? They lost 3 games to south american teams and my suspicion is it wasn't that important back then.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #634: Dec 21, 2019 08:55:04 pm
      Well i cant say i said such a quality beverage but had quite a few... only LFC fan here in the pub but you know what they say, happines is the only emotion getting stronger when shared so get the f**k in boys, we deserved this one
      Cheers

I'll drink to that, with  wee dram of the golden nectar of course.

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #635: Dec 21, 2019 08:56:27 pm
      Heard this earlier today. What a time to be a Red, and yet people will still moan and complain.

https://twitter.com/lovefutebol/status/1208479076933087232?s=19
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #636: Dec 21, 2019 08:57:04 pm
      Watched them in their CL final, and felt they'd give us a good game.

Do you only have one barber in Brasil, or is it like a cult thing, so many had the same haircut! :D

Haha do you mean haircut or hair colour? Because after winning the Libertadores many of them dyed their hair blonde as a bit of a joke, some changed it afterwards but some of them still have it haha
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #637: Dec 21, 2019 08:58:06 pm
      Had to watch the 2nd half on catch up so only just finished! Cracking game, superb half time adjustments from Klopp, great fitness from the lads and a brilliant goal. And another clean sheet. I thought Gomez and VVD were immense, gave motm to Gomez
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,498 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #638: Dec 21, 2019 08:58:31 pm
      The farce over the VAR too, was clear contact and was a free kick

Not sure if the ref saw it from the angle where it was clear there was contact, he seemed to be looking at it from the other side - dunno if he got showed the other side. But definite free kick, ridiculous again not to be able to see it with the benefit of the replays.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #639: Dec 21, 2019 09:00:04 pm
      ... Oh, and we're still 10pts clear with a game in hand.
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #640: Dec 21, 2019 09:00:47 pm
      I also like how Keita is coming together, slowly but steadily he rotates himself into the starting 11. And we have Minamino in our backhand too which could turn out to be a starting player too. We get even stronger!!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #641: Dec 21, 2019 09:01:09 pm
      I put this on twitter but I'll bring this here as well.

To add some perspective about that Flamengo team:

- Out of this starting XI, 8 players were signed in 2019: Rafinha, Rodrigo Caio, Pablo Marí, Filipe Luis, Gérson, De Arrascaeta, Bruno Henrique and Gabigol.

- And out of those, 4 signed only in July/Aug: Rafinha, Pablo Marí, Filipe Luís and Gerson.

- The manager Jorge Jesus has only been at the club for less than 6 months

- The most expensive signing (De Arrascaeta) cost €13m

So the fact they've become the first Brazilian team to win the national league and the Libertadores on the same year, and then give such a hard game to a Liverpool side that has been built over the last 4 or 5 years and is probably peaking in quality and consistency, is truly incredible. It's a very good time to support any of those teams ;)
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #642: Dec 21, 2019 09:03:46 pm
      @BrasilEdition
      Alisson in 2019:

Copa America winner ✔️
      Champions League winner ✔️
      Club World Cup winner ✔️
      Yachine Trophy ✔️
      FIFA goalkeeper of the year ✔️
      FIFA TOTY ✔️
      UEFA TOTY ✔️
      Copa America TOTT ✔️
      PL Golden Glove ✔️
      Copa America Golden Glove ✔️
      Joint high CL cleansheets ✔️

https://twitter.com/BrasilEdition/status/1208479918776037376

@clemente_carl
      Liverpool's last three trophies have been won in exactly 29 weeks. The previous three were won in the space of 5 years 9 months and 13 days. #LFC
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #643: Dec 21, 2019 09:04:03 pm
      Wow another trophy, well done every Red who inspired the side to victory, not forgetting Jürgen Klopp.

Quick Reply