Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Flamengo?

Alisson
      2 (1.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      35 (32.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (3.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      24 (22.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      11 (10.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      29 (26.9%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Dec 25, 2019 08:06:38 pm

Flamengo 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26291 times
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Re: Flamengo 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Dec 22, 2019 11:50:26 am
      The ref clearly won a be a ref for a day competition, Stevie wonder could see it was at least a free kick, not close to a fair tackle, thankfully we won fair and square despite the play acting, (time fifa  and UEFA cracked down on it) best bit seeing Rafinha moaning like a petulant child at full time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #714: Dec 22, 2019 12:03:26 pm
      Oh same old blablabla. If the English do it, they are street smart.

Seems your best club team is about as successful as your national team currently!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #715: Dec 22, 2019 12:21:35 pm
      Seems your best club team is about as successful as your national team currently!

Diego’s club team are the current :

European champions.
      European Super cup champions..
      Club World Cup champions...

& talking about national teams.. where the F**k are Norway..?

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #716: Dec 22, 2019 01:17:15 pm

Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 49 
      Reply #717: Dec 22, 2019 01:31:09 pm
      Wonder if the will sing about that game for the next 38 years
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #718: Dec 22, 2019 01:32:21 pm
      Wonder if the will sing about that game for the next 38 years

Have they been singing it for 38 years? I assumed they just sang it because it was the first time we had played them since then.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #719: Dec 22, 2019 01:40:33 pm
      Diego’s club team are the current :

European champions.
      European Super cup champions..
      Club World Cup champions...

& talking about national teams.. where the f**k are Norway..?

Norway have won the same in football as England, Scotland, Wales and NI combined in the last 50 years, f**k all!
      Skiing is the main sport for a population of 5 million and at that we excel.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #720: Dec 22, 2019 01:56:26 pm
      Imagine revelling so much in being snide that you end up talking about skiing in the Club World Cup final thread
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #721: Dec 22, 2019 01:57:35 pm
      Have they been singing it for 38 years? I assumed they just sang it because it was the first time we had played them since then.

Nope, the song is fairly new, only been sung since last year. It was mostly sung as the team started to improve and the chances of another success in the Libertadores (and thus another shot at the world club thing) increased
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #722: Dec 22, 2019 02:04:15 pm
      And yes the ref was weak.  Glad we won it 11 v 11.

The ref was really weak, but it's funny how people are projecting that into the players. It's not their fault that a foul wasn't given outside the box (which seemed the most natural call) on that VAR review, for instance. I saw people complaining about Mané's yellow, but that one I thought was deserved. He was fouled first but the card was appropriate. Salah's not so much. But then again Milner fell like he had been shot when it was actually Diego's hand that touched him. If complaining and being on the ref's faces constantly really is such horrible "cheating", it does make me laugh to remember how Mascherano and Suarez were worshipped in this forum. Oh and most definitely there isn't any merit to any calls of penalties for handball in that game.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #723: Dec 22, 2019 02:13:12 pm
      On reflection today a great night and a fitting honour for Jürgen to have the unique distinction of being the first Liverpool Manager to win this trophy.
      On further reflection and for balance how F***ing awful are the FA, Uefa and Fifa they are killing the game with crap technology and poor Referees. In addition it is so clear they have no thought for supporters only a desire to find ways to get more money out of them.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #724: Dec 22, 2019 02:17:46 pm
      The ref was really weak, but it's funny how people are projecting that into the players. It's not their fault that a foul wasn't given outside the box (which seemed the most natural call) on that VAR review, for instance. I saw people complaining about Mané's yellow, but that one I thought was deserved. He was fouled first but the card was appropriate. Salah's not so much. But then again Milner fell like he had been shot when it was actually Diego's hand that touched him. If complaining and being on the ref's faces constantly really is such horrible "cheating", it does make me laugh to remember how Mascherano and Suarez were worshipped in this forum. Oh and most definitely there isn't any merit to any calls of penalties for handball in that game.

You're supporting Flamengo or us ?! You need to do what Firmino did, celebrate against your country :D  :f_whistle:
      +10
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #725: Dec 22, 2019 03:38:02 pm
      I feel like with all the out rage of diving and cheating there are few supporters here who never watch South and Latin America football much before. I am sure some Canadian and American who heard of the term "CONCACAF'ed" when you play these type of teams it is how they play. If the ref is going to call fouls for time player fell over or yelled in a tackle then they will play on it and I notice towards the end of the game crafty Milner did it once to get a foul call to kill off some time. It isn't the greatest thing to watch and it is frustrating as hell to watch when in this Flamengo doing much more than us but it is what it is. It just makes the victory so much sweeter.

As far as the game we didn't create many chances but the ones we did we should of have banged 1 or 2, especially first 10 mins when Firmino and Ketia wasted good chances to score. Firmino had a good showing when he got on the ball which was not a whole lot but nice to see him bang in another goal. Salah was meh and Mane did nothing until 80 minute onwards when Flamengo defenders were tired. Hendo I will give a lot of credit to, he has really picked up his game since Fabinho got hurt and seems to have more faith in pingin the bal forwards and doing it to great affect. Gomez looked good as well which is nice to see for him.

Gutted for Ox, seeing the injury happen and the boot on his foot doesn't look good but hopefully looks worst than it is.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #726: Dec 22, 2019 03:50:50 pm

To add a touch of normality, you are alluding to the widely held belielf that players do feign injury and mostly when there are winning or trying to cling on to a draw. It's obviously very difficult to for a ref to assess whether a player is play acting. All teams do it, some more than others and the temptation, in a game when your opponents are overdoing it and feigning injury, is to get a bit of your own back and we did a little bit of that.

Generally we are 'clean' and try to win with integrity and honesty but I'll bet supporters from every team claim that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #727: Dec 22, 2019 11:33:35 pm
      Anyone seen the vids of the players celebrating in the changies, Ox dancing about with his crutches looks fine!! Seen two vids, one of them with Adrian bringing the trophy and then starting up a chant of "Champione"  :f_doh: and then another of the whole squad lined up singing "Allez Allez Allez"
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #728: Dec 23, 2019 05:49:25 am
      Avoided knowing the result for two days and just watched the full match on DVR. So happy to see the team lift this trophy.

It was certainly earned. What a hard-fought match against I thought a very good team. I thought we deserved to win but again, nothing given to us in this one - Flamengo showed me some very good qualities.

On the penalty/VAR thing - has there been an official explanation? My guess is the communication on the screen about inside/outside the box as the reason for the review was incorrect? That it was really for the penalty decision altogether? I don't know how it becomes a drop ball, other than that the communication on the graphic as to the reason for the review was wrong.

I went with Jordan as MOTM but can understand Joe Gomez, who I'm delighted for. I wish I could vote for our fitness coach (is it Andreas?) because we are clearly fitter than our opponents at the end of matches, and it is making a difference in a record season. I also love how Jürgen has the team play in a way that brings out this fitness difference. Mentality is one part of all of our late goals this season, but it also comes down to sheer fitness. We wear teams down over the course of a match.

Hoping for the best for Ox...and Gini...and Dejan...and Joel...and Fabinho. Amazing our results considering how many top players we are missing. GREAT man management by Klopp through all of this.

World Champions!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #729: Dec 23, 2019 06:46:12 am
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #730: Dec 23, 2019 06:52:28 am
      The thing that impressed me was after the presentations was seeing Adrian with his arm around Alisson celebrating.He looked genuinely pleased and it is no wonder we are doing so well with so much comeradie in the squad.Thank you Jürgen Klopp for putting Liverpool F.C.on top of the world,the envy of all other clubs.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #731: Dec 23, 2019 07:37:56 am
      The thing that impressed me was after the presentations was seeing Adrian with his arm around Alisson celebrating.He looked genuinely pleased and it is no wonder we are doing so well with so much comeradie in the squad.Thank you Jürgen Klopp for putting Liverpool F.C.on top of the world,the envy of all other clubs.

Like Billy, I remember the arrival of Mr Shankly followed by the great Bob Paisley, and the great years that followed. I am glad  to say that Jürgen has earned his place in  their illustrious company. Hopefully for many years to come.

Thank you, Jürgen for putting us back on our perch.

p.s. Merry Christmas and a very successful New Year to all Liverpool fans, old and young. You're lucky, you  support the best club in the world.
      « Last Edit: Dec 23, 2019 08:08:47 am by Fourbrick »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #732: Dec 23, 2019 08:17:57 am
      He will forever be on That Champs League Banner you see in the Kop on matchday. He deserved that right. Will never be forgotten!!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #733: Dec 23, 2019 08:51:32 am
      He will forever be on That Champs League Banner you see in the Kop on matchday. He deserved that right. Will never be forgotten!!!

Yes Klopp is amongst the greats already, it will be exciting to see how much more we can win over the next however many years he stays with us. At the moment we have a relatively young team and a superb recruitment process, its looking very positive.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #734: Dec 24, 2019 10:35:42 am
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #735: Dec 24, 2019 11:50:24 am
      Imagine what that wall could look like in 5-10 years. ;D

Quick Reply