Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Which was the more Important Save? : Dudek V Alisson

Read 3084 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,721 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Which was the more Important Save? : Dudek V Alisson
      Dec 25, 2019 12:27:15 am
      I was sitting there wondering the other day about this and thought I'd put it to you knowledgeable Fans for your opinions.

(Sorry Couldn't make them smaller pics.)

First off we have that massive double save from Sevchenko that gave us the chance to go to Penalties and Win the Best Champions League Final in the History of Champions Leagues Finals.

Secondly we have Becker's save against Napoli that led to Champs League, Uefa Super Cup and Club World Cup glory mixed in with a hell of a lot of belief and confidence that we can win Major Trophies.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, memory not as sharp as it used to be  :cool-smiley-027: ;D ;D but Dudek's was in extra time just before stoppage time whilst Becker's was in normal time stoppage time. I think I got those right.

Don't know how to get a Poll added, maybe the Mods can help but which one do you think was the more important save in the Club's illustrious History?

I can't decide but every time we win another Trophy, I think Becker's was more important to us the Dudek's double save. My opinion only, want to hear yours.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Re: Which was the more Important Save? : Dudek V Alisson
      Reply #1: Dec 25, 2019 06:26:54 am
      Dudek for me. We still had a long way to go after Alison’s, whereas Dudek doesn’t save that and we were done.

When Dudek saves I think that was the moment the lads realize their name is on the trophy and left Milan going into the pens feeling the same way.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Dec 25, 2019 06:36:45 am
      Both as important!!!

The same. You're saying like parents choosing from new born twins. They can't and we shouldn't.

We need to enjoy them both.
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 133 posts | 50 
      Reply #3: Dec 25, 2019 06:58:21 am
      Same, Alison’s led to the international treble, and, but for officiating, so would Dudeks as his led to champions league, super cup and runners up in club World Cup
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Dec 25, 2019 10:11:50 am
      Dudeks save for me, still one of the greatest games I will ever see.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #5: Dec 25, 2019 12:55:40 pm
      Horses for courses !
      Both equally as important in their given circumstances !
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,203 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #6: Dec 25, 2019 01:07:18 pm
      Dudek for me we were in the dulldrems at the time and winning then pushed us on
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Dec 25, 2019 01:43:41 pm
      The thing is we expect the incredible from Allison every game he makes the impossible look normal. Dudek made two impossible saves in a micro second that won us the CL. Comparing Dudek and Allison is simply daft Allison is the best goalkeeper in the world right now but for that one moment in time Dudek was a God
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Dec 25, 2019 05:46:25 pm
      The thing is we expect the incredible from Allison every game he makes the impossible look normal. Dudek made two impossible saves in a micro second that won us the CL. Comparing Dudek and Allison is simply daft Allison is the best goalkeeper in the world right now but for that one moment in time Dudek was a God

Dudek for me a cult hero, Alisson will (if he has the will to do so) go down as one of the best keepers we have seen here, a true legend.

But just for one off saves at that very moment, Dudeks will be the one I will remember for as long as I live.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Dec 25, 2019 06:27:59 pm
      Dudek for me a cult hero, Alisson will (if he has the will to do so) go down as one of the best keepers we have seen here, a true legend.

But just for one off saves at that very moment, Dudeks will be the one I will remember for as long as I live.

The look of utter disbelielf on Shevchenko's face.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #10: Dec 25, 2019 06:55:07 pm
      The look of utter disbelielf on Shevchenko's face.

I may be over-exaggerating this, but that save was the downfall of Shevchenko. Prior to that save he was a world class striker, a genuine world star even during that game. Post that save he was a shadow of himself, misses his pen and his career rapidly went downhill.

That look on his face with his hands on his head, an iconic image!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,721 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Dec 25, 2019 10:51:22 pm
      F**k you guys are swaying me.

I think Dudek's saves which ended up leading us to European Glory, then gave us the confidence  to believe that we belonged with the elite again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Dec 26, 2019 01:01:01 am
      Both will go down in our history as defining moments but I'd say the Dudek save probably had more importance to it given it was in the actual final where as we still had a long way to go after the Alisson save. But that's not taking anything away from Alisson.

Think also at the time of the Dudek one, our squad on the whole was bang average, much like Porto the year before, that wasn't a team that should have gone on to win it and if we hadn't, although we nearly lost Gerrard that summer anyway, I think we would have ended up losing him for sure. We also started to gradually attract the better players after 2005 and gave us a platform to build on. If Alisson hadn't made that save last season, it would have had a negative impact as we were then set to play Thursday nights god knows where but I don't think the team would be any different to what it is now. So to summarise and cut that short, if Dudek hadn't made his save, the outcome would have been far worse than if Alisson hadn't made his.

But none the less, it's amazing we can even have this question over the two saves as both were boss and will forever be defining moments for this club.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4985 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13: Dec 26, 2019 08:16:35 am
      Dudek's save is iconic, it is always shown when the clips of that incredible night are broadcast,  we have to remember he was part of a side that in all honesty wasn't given a chance of winning at the start of the 05 CL,
      Where AC Milan had superstars in Maldini Dida, Crespo, Shevchenko, Kaka,  Seedorf,  Guttuso,  to name but a few,
      We had,  with respect,  Traore,  Kewel,  Baros etc,
      A gulf in class you might say, Anyhoo the Save, for me that was the moment that said this was our night,  3-0 down, got it back level , incredible tackles from Carra, Gerrard playing 3 different roles with aplomb, the whole side digging in and Then That Save, which in effect took us onto the penalty shootout....and that other save from Shevchenko....and Ol Big Ears came home....

Alisson is the best keeper on the planet,  his saves thus far have been incredible but he makes them look easy , they look easy because he is so good,  positioning,  speed, agility and his reading of the game opponents etc,
      There will be plenty more Allison saves to Savour coming to a screen near you very soon.

YNWA
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #14: Dec 26, 2019 06:18:59 pm
      In the grand scheme - I think Dudek's was more important.

If we didn't win in 2005 god knows what would have happened. I think Gerrard would have almost certainly left us that summer, the club wouldn't have made the Champions League the following season, resulting in a massive loss of revenue and we could have ended up on a bit of a slide.

Alisson's save was massively important for us, but I don't think it was as make or break as Dudek's.

Plus, as good as this year's achievement was, I don't think anything will ever top Istanbul. The most incredible night in the club's history. If I had to chose between 2019 & 2005 - it would be 2005 every time
      « Last Edit: Dec 26, 2019 06:23:23 pm by TameImpala »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8542 
      Reply #15: Dec 26, 2019 11:53:02 pm
      I was sitting there wondering the other day about this and thought I'd put it to you knowledgeable Fans for your opinions.

(Sorry Couldn't make them smaller pics.)

First off we have that massive double save from Sevchenko that gave us the chance to go to Penalties and Win the Best Champions League Final in the History of Champions Leagues Finals.

Secondly we have Becker's save against Napoli that led to Champs League, Uefa Super Cup and Club World Cup glory mixed in with a hell of a lot of belief and confidence that we can win Major Trophies.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, memory not as sharp as it used to be  :cool-smiley-027: ;D ;D but Dudek's was in extra time just before stoppage time whilst Becker's was in normal time stoppage time. I think I got those right.

Don't know how to get a Poll added, maybe the Mods can help but which one do you think was the more important save in the Club's illustrious History?

I can't decide but every time we win another Trophy, I think Becker's was more important to us the Dudek's double save. My opinion only, want to hear yours.

Brucie's in the 86 cup final from Sharp's header beats both the above hands down and was just as an important save.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #16: Dec 27, 2019 06:08:20 pm

Thinking about this it is very very close for me.  I'm going for Dudek but could easily go the other way.  Dudek because it was so close to the finishing line. 
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #17: Dec 27, 2019 06:55:09 pm
      Gotta be Dudek's,the aura around the club cos of that win.As was said Gerrard F***ing off to London,2006 fa cup final.Mad how different things could of been.

Quick Reply