Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Team of the decade

Read 2805 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Team of the decade
      Dec 25, 2019 06:45:35 am
      Just a bit of fun after seeing it on the Sky Sports website, our team of the decade. Only rule is the players have to be judged on their performance post 2010 and not achievements prior. Team mostly picks itself but if you go for a 4 3 3 like me then your got a tough choice to make up top! Midfield also a bit tough but think the below gives a perfect balance and having two European Cup winning captains in there isnā€™t bad going!

And yes, we all know the circumstances in which some players left have tarnished them but based on talent alone!

Alisson
      TAA
      Matip
      VVD
      Robertson

Hendo
      Stevie
      Wijnaldum

Salah
      Suarez
      Mane

Tough call to leave the likes of Milner, Coutinho, Fabinho and of course Firmino out, but Suarez is arguably the most exciting player we have had this decade imo and needs to be included.

Logically, I struggle to fit Coutinho in even though I think he also was one of our most exciting players of the decade.

Interested to see everyone elseā€™s and if anyone dares go all out attack with 4 up top to fit Bobby in!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Team of the decade
      Reply #1: Dec 25, 2019 07:11:22 am
      Alisson

TAA
      Lovren
      VVD
      Robertson

Henderson
      Gerrard
      Coutinho

Salah
      Suarez
      Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Matip, Gomez, Milner, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Origi.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Dec 25, 2019 03:25:42 pm
      Just to say I am glad Coutinho is gone. He held us back in more ways than one. So despite some spectacular goals, he would not be in any all-whatever Liverpool teams of mine.

Happy Christmas, Phil.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #3: Dec 26, 2019 06:32:27 pm
                   Alisson
      TAA.  Virgil.   Matip.  Robbo
                Hendo Fab
      Salah.  Bobby.    Mane
                 Suarez

Would be mine. Decided to leave Gerrard out as his decade was more the 00's. He had some great moments / games but wasn't consistently as good as he was in the previous decade. Also struggled with injuries quite a lot during the 2010's too.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Dec 26, 2019 06:51:53 pm
      Alison, TAA, Sami, Virgil, Robbo, Gerrard, Hendo, Fab, Mo, Sadio, Bobby.
      Gerrard was outstanding especially in the title chasing season 13/14 and won the league Cup in 2012 hardly passed his best and played 33 league games 13/14 also scored 13 league goals.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Dec 26, 2019 06:54:01 pm
      Gerrard was outstanding especially in the title chasing season 13/14 and won the league Cup in 2012 hardly passed his best and played 33 league games 13/14 also scored 13 league goals.

Agree about Gerrard, Walt, but Sami was gone by 2010.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #6: Dec 26, 2019 06:54:44 pm
      Sorry but you just have to have Suarez. Also Sami didnā€™t feature in this decade ?
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #7: Dec 26, 2019 07:48:55 pm
                   Alisson
      TAA.  Virgil.   Matip.  Robbo
                Hendo Fab
      Salah.  Bobby.    Mane
                 Suarez

Would be mine. Decided to leave Gerrard out as his decade was more the 00's. He had some great moments / games but wasn't consistently as good as he was in the previous decade. Also struggled with injuries quite a lot during the 2010's too.

I did consider that about Stevie, but he was brilliant in the 13/14 title chase. Will always remember that pen against Fulham and his mad celebration.

Broadly I agree with your point though, I think if Fab had been here longer he would get the nod.

Makes you realize how bad we were at the start of this decade though, given the current squad can easily make up the majority of the XI.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #8: Dec 26, 2019 08:04:26 pm
      I did consider that about Stevie, but he was brilliant in the 13/14 title chase. Will always remember that pen against Fulham and his mad celebration.

Broadly I agree with your point though, I think if Fab had been here longer he would get the nod.

Makes you realize how bad we were at the start of this decade though, given the current squad can easily make up the majority of the XI.

That Fulham match was incredible, one of my favourite ever games. For me that was the moment where I really started to believe we could do it. His pass to Sturridge for one of the goals was incredible too.

He was great that season, I think the vast majority of his goals were penalties but obviously they still need putting away. A lot of them (like the Fulham one) were in real high pressure situations too so they will have been much harder than he made them look.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Dec 26, 2019 08:57:54 pm
      Agree about Gerrard, Walt, but Sami was gone by 2010.

mu bad but imagine him with Virgil you cant leave Gerrard out and you have to have the front three they come as a set.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Dec 26, 2019 11:04:34 pm
      think we might have to change this to team of the Century if these lads keep on playing like this
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #11: Dec 26, 2019 11:46:18 pm
      Tonight's line up!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #12: Dec 31, 2019 01:45:21 am
      GK - Reina - bit of a difficult one this because while I feel Pepe is the best keeper we've had in my lifetime, during the early years of this decade was when his form slumped a little, especially after Rafa's departure. But I went for him because as good as Alisson has been, I still always feel a mistake is just around the corner with him.

RB - Alexander-Arnold - relatively easy this choice, despite me being a huge fan of Clyne when he first arrived. Trent has nailed down the right back position for as long as he wants it right now. Incredible talent. People say he's a bit iffy defensively but when you see him with his defensive head on, like that night in the European Cup against Sane or his first Premier League start at Old Trafford, you can tell what a quality defender he is.

CB - Gomez - another difficult choice because we've had so many solid choices there to play alongside the guaranteed Van Dijk. It's difficult to leave somebody like Carragher out, who wasn't everybody's cup of tea and didn't have a great "decade" but his performances previously would give him reason to be picked. Skrtel, Agger, Matip and even Lovren could all make claim for the other centre half spot but I've plumped for Joey because for a young kid to come into the League the way he did and perform to the level he did before the injury last year was unbelievable. He and Van Dijk were arguably the best partnership in world football at the time. And now he's got the shirt back after waiting his turn, he's looking like he's gonna make the most of it again.

CB - Van Dijk - it's a no brainer really isn't it? The man is just everything you'd want your centre half to be. People said one man couldn't transform Liverpool's defensive problems and maybe Virg hasn't done it alone but F**k me he's guided the rest of that back four through and helped them reach the level they are now in a way no other person could of. A lot of players crumble under a huge transfer fee, the big Dutchman seems to have relished in his.

LB - Robertson - again a no brainer. And I think I'd go as far as saying that Robbo is our greatest ever left back. Might not have the title of two European Cup winning goals on his CV but he's just boss. Up and down the flank all game. Assist after assist after assist. In typical Scottish fashion, he gets stuck in as well. It's a long-standing rule that Liverpool are better when we have a Jock in our team and Robbo is no different. At eight million from a relegated side like Hull, he may not only get into the Team of the Decade but may well be the Signing of the Decade as well.

RW - Salah - for the third straight pick, it's a no brainer. How can you not have this man our Team of the Decade. His record speak for themselves. Eyebrows were raised when he was bought because of his "failed" time at Chelsea but since he's come to Anfield, it looks more like Chelsea failed him rather than the other way round. Breathtaking brilliance since the day he joined. More goals than either Suarez or Torres. Plays with a smile on his face. Looks exactly like Chrissy out of Boys From The Blackstuff. Even has his picture up in a local chippy. He's the 80s Scouser in the 21st Century. Another fantastic signing.

CM - Henderson - the only player in the squad to have been in the first team from the start of the decade to the end of it. No matter what sh*t is thrown at him, he always performs. No matter who the manager is, he's always selected. No matter what the occasion is, he always rises to it. And now he's getting the rewards for all that hard work. Every team needs their unsung heroes and ours is most certainly Jordan Henderson. Could become the first non-Scouse Englishman to earn a testimonial at Liverpool for a very long time. I'm not sure who the last person to fit that bill would be - John Barnes maybe?

CM - Gerrard - he may of been past his best during this decade but even a past it Steven Gerrard gets into my team every time. The greatest player I've seen. Could do everything and more often than not, did do everything. If he only played one game in this decade, he'd of still got in. It was a pleasure and an honour to see him perform week in week out for our club. And, as he showed in the nearly season under Rodgers, if he has players around him who can run then he can still run the show.

CM - Wijnaldum - I deliberated who the third central midfielder should be for some time because, a bit like the centre half position, we've had a couple of people who are deserving of a mention. Coutinho, Milner, Lucas, some would say Fabinho. But I ended up going for Gini for all round play. Like Hendo, he's very much the unsung hero of the team. (although his name gets sung quite a lot from the crowd.) Nothing fancy, nothing flashy, but a solid, consistent performer. Relentless work ethic. Never hear him in the press for any wrong reasons. And, again like Hendo, he is always picked for the biggest occasions whenever he's available.

LW - Mane - I hated him before we bought him because he broke my hero's record of the fastest hat-trick in the Premier League. And he weren't at Liverpool when he done it. But he's done everything to win me round. Has went from right wing to left wing without any problem. And has now got his name in the conversation as the best player in the world. There weren't too many choices for left wing other than maybe playing somebody out of position but even if there were a few honorable mentions, Sadio has performed at such a level that he's easily in our Team of the Decade and probably right about now, in our Team of the Premier League as well.

CF - Suarez - he was a c**t when he was here, he's been a bigger c**t to us since he left but while he was here, he was F***ing unplayable at times. And for me, a better player and, more importantly, goalscorer than Bobby. His work ethic would probably suit our style now, though his individual play probably wouldn't suit us as well as Bobby's lack of selfishness. But while Bobby is very much part of the team, Suarez was, almost, single handedly the team during his time here. A player of such quality that I hadn't seen at Anfield before. I was just in awe watching him.

Reina

Alexander-Arnold Gomez Van Dijk Robertson

Henderson Gerrard Wijnaldum

Salah Suarez Mane
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #13: Dec 31, 2019 06:32:17 am
      Allison

TAA
      Gomez
      Virgil
      Robbo

Hendo
      Stevie
      Lallana

Mo
      Bobby
      Mane

That team in my mind would beat any other combined 11 from this decade.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #14: Dec 31, 2019 09:59:24 am
      As much as I love Bobby and hate Luis right now, we were all in love with that mad b***ard esp after Kuyt's hat-trick v United. And personally, any 11 is incomplete without Gini. Solid 7/8 in every game (15/10 vs Barca), no fuss and absolutely crucial to our system! (May be recency bias, but he edges out Coutinho for me)

Mane Suarez Salah
      Gini Hendo StevieG
      Robbo Virgil Gomez Trent
      Alisson

If we include a subs bench, then
      Adrian (just for that trophy), Matip, Milner, Fabinho, Coutinho, Firmino, Origi

Imagine Trent, Stevie and Mo linking up on that right side! Jeeeez!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Dec 31, 2019 02:45:48 pm
      As much as I love Bobby and hate Luis right now, we were all in love with that mad b***ard esp after Kuyt's hat-trick v United. And personally, any 11 is incomplete without Gini. Solid 7/8 in every game (15/10 vs Barca), no fuss and absolutely crucial to our system! (May be recency bias, but he edges out Coutinho for me)

Mane Suarez Salah
      Gini Hendo StevieG
      Robbo Virgil Gomez Trent
      Alisson

If we include a subs bench, then
      Adrian (just for that trophy), Matip, Milner, Fabinho, Coutinho, Firmino, Origi

Imagine Trent, Stevie and Mo linking up on that right side! Jeeeez!!

On the backup goalkeeper note, remember Pepe Reina won a League Cup trophy during the decade in question. Just saying...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #16: Dec 31, 2019 02:46:58 pm
      Alisson

TAA
      Gomez
      VVD
      Robertson

Henderson
      Gerrard
      Wijnaldum

Mane
      Firmino
      Salah

Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #17: Dec 31, 2019 03:55:37 pm

Could be an attacking line up with Hendo holding,Gerrard box to box. Agger just misses out.

Alisson

TAA...Gomez...VVD...Robb o....

Gerrard.Hendo

Salah.....Bobby.....Mane
                    Suarez
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #18: Dec 31, 2019 05:04:15 pm
      But who are Liverpoolā€™s top goalscorers of the decade?

= James Milner Goals: 26
      9. Jordan Henderson Goals: 26
      8. Divock Origi Goals: 33
      7. Philippe Coutinho Goals: 54
      6. Steven Gerrard Goals: 61
      5. Daniel Sturridge Goals: 67
      4. Sadio Mane Goals: 73
      3. Roberto Firmino Goals: 74
      2. Luis Suarez Goals: 82
      1. Mohamed Salah Goals: 84
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #19: Dec 31, 2019 06:05:10 pm
      Allison

TAA
      Gomez
      Virgil
      Robbo

Hendo
      Stevie
      Lallana

Mo
      Bobby
      Mane

That team in my mind would beat any other combined 11 from this decade.

Lallana is an interesting shout. Good player on his day who can make us tick. If only he could keep himself fit then Iā€™m sure a few more would be saying his name too.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #20: Dec 31, 2019 06:49:26 pm

Could be an attacking line up with Hendo holding,Gerrard box to box. Agger just misses out.

Alisson

TAA...Gomez...VVD...Robb o....

Gerrard.Hendo

Salah.....Bobby.....Mane
                    Suarez

This all day long for me , could make a case for Gini , while Suarez pissed a lot of people off , he was at his peak with us unplayable, still one of the most tenacious will to win bas**rds Iā€™ve seen , this team blow most out the water .
      Still when you see some of the players missing it just shows how far we have risen
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #21: Dec 31, 2019 06:56:43 pm
      Lallana is an interesting shout. Good player on his day who can make us tick. If only he could keep himself fit then Iā€™m sure a few more would be saying his name too.

Yea Iā€™m obviously looking at everyone in their prime and for me, Lallana was really the first ā€œKloppā€ type player and was basically first name on the sheet for a good while when he had a run of health and form.

Quick Reply