Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Our greatest Centre back.

Read 3161 times
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 845 posts | 235 
      Our greatest Centre back.
      Dec 27, 2019 11:26:37 am
      Been watching since 1949 and must say Virgil is by far the best centre back we've ever had. Remember Big Ron Yeats, (best of luck Ron, I know you aren't too well) and loved Hansen, but Virgil's speed and tackling is awesome.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Re: Our greatest Centre back.
      Reply #1: Dec 27, 2019 12:01:15 pm
      VVD is the closest player I've seen to Hanson. Doesn't make sliding challenges or go diving in unless absolutely necessary. Always stays on his feet. The Iceman!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Dec 27, 2019 12:02:35 pm
      Been watching since 1949 and must say Virgil is by far the best centre back we've ever had. Remember Big Ron Yeats, (best of luck Ron, I know you aren't too well) and loved Hansen, but Virgil's speed and tackling is awesome.

hard to think your going to get much of an argument mate. I saw Ron play towards the end of his career and a bit like Virgil he was a major piece in Shankly's puzzle that led to so much success. Emlyn Hughes. Thomo, Jocky, Lawro, the list goes on of great footballing CB's .Virgil is on another level because not only is he such a reader of the game but he doesn't have any full backs most of the time to help him out.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Dec 27, 2019 12:10:37 pm
      Won't be seeing a better one in my lifetime, not just for The Reds.

One of those lads you will marvel about in 50 years time.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Dec 27, 2019 02:36:38 pm

Powerful statement coming from a veteran like you. I love Virgil, but my only hesitation is in looking at the honours next to Hansen's name (8 league titles, 3 European Cups, etc.). It's always hard to compare players from different eras but I think Virgil will want to be involved in a lifting a few more trophies - and he should have every opportunity to do so.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,167 posts | 829 
      Reply #5: Dec 27, 2019 03:00:32 pm
      To me, Hyypia and VVD are the best center backs I have seen in my lifetime.

Hyypia rarely got carded, was superb with the ball and was very commanding. He and Carra were a great pairing but unfortunately we did not have the resources at that time to be as good as today's squad and they did not have fullbacks like TAA and Robertson too.  if things were different we would be saying things differently about Hyypia.

But, VVD to me is the best because of his quickness which Hyypia lacked.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Dec 27, 2019 04:39:43 pm

Hyypia rarely got carded, was superb with the ball and was very commanding. He and Carra were a great pairing but unfortunately we did not have the resources at that time to be as good as today's squad and they did not have fullbacks like TAA and Robertson too.  if things were different we would be saying things differently about Hyypia.

No argument against Sami of course, but to your point about resources in days gone by, TAA is an Academy product and Robbo cost us, what was it? 8 million British Sterling?

Sorry, just a side note.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #7: Dec 27, 2019 04:49:10 pm
      I didn't think it was possible for me to put a central defender ahead of Alan Hansen.  But have to say over 2 years because that is all he has played for us nobody has been better than VVD as centre back.   The marker VVD has drawn over the last 2 years has there ever been a defender to better that 2 years?   He's played against the best attacks and individuals for me the best 2 years I have ever seen as a defender. 
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8: Dec 27, 2019 04:50:27 pm
      I didn't think it was possible for me to put a central defender ahead of Alan Hansen.  But have to say over 2 years because that is all he has played for us nobody has been better than VVD as centre back.   The marker VVD has drawn over the last 2 years has there ever been a defender to better that 2 years?   He's played against the best attacks and individuals for me the best 2 years I have ever seen as a defender. 

Think it's a safe bet then when VVD end's his LFC career he will be thought of as our best defender ever.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #9: Dec 27, 2019 05:09:28 pm
      In my opinion he has a clear road in front of him just needs to sustain the level.  Over 2 years our best player.  He walked into a shambles of a defense and instantly became the foundation of our defence and am not talking foundation blocks, steel girders  am talking Stonehendge. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Dec 27, 2019 05:13:35 pm
      to be fair the defence wasn't helped by a pair of inept keepers
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Dec 27, 2019 05:28:08 pm
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,309 posts | 1520 
      Reply #12: Dec 27, 2019 05:31:36 pm
      VVD for me. When Shanks invited people to walk round Big Ron Yeats, and take a close look. He was a colossus of a man. Great defender and player, but his greatest assets was he scared the sh*t out of centre forwards.
      Hansen was great at driving out from the back, he’d dummy a pass, then drive on another five yards, dummy again, another five yards, then lay an incisive pass forwards. Great footballer, and cool as you like. Lawrenson complimented his style of play. Emlyn, a great player who gave you everything. Heart on sleeve player who could organise well.
      VVD has all of this in abundance, with added pace, calm as can be, never ruffled, rarely beaten 1v1 and gets 40% more from the players along side him.
      Absolute giant of a player. Best I’ve seen ANYWHERE, and the like of which you probably won’t see again.
      Enjoy watching him while you can.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: Dec 27, 2019 06:47:31 pm

Confirms I'm doing well to mainly ignore Twitter. Thanks for posting this, Walt.
      RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #14: Dec 27, 2019 07:11:41 pm
      Best I’ve seen is Big Sami. Even ahead of VVD for me but I think that will shortly change once VVD gets a few more seasons under his belt.

2.5mill, nobody knew who he was and he transformed us. And consistently played at a high level for 10 years. One of those defenders who made others look better, Henchoz and Carra were both made to look significantly better by having Sami alongside them.

And that volley against Juve!!

Will always remember his tears as he was hoisted into the air after his last game and my lingering sense of disappointment in Rafa only giving him a few minutes.

Anyone know what he’s up to these days? Miss the big man!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,007 posts | 3352 
      Reply #15: Dec 27, 2019 08:39:21 pm
      Anyone know what he’s up to these days? Miss the big man!!

He's always off skiing on Instagram. Or doing some other sport, that usually isn't football.

But for me Sami is the best I've seen as well. Van Dijk is getting there and will almost certainly overtake the Finn given time. But at the moment it's still Sami just for his longevity. 10 near flawless years for a man who'd never played in the League before either. Virg came with Premier League experience - which isn't always a recipe for success (ask Chelsea fans about Torres) but it certainly does help to some extent.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Dec 27, 2019 08:50:05 pm
      Sami as good as he was and he was very good lacked pace but as I stated incorrectly in the decade team Sami and Virgil OMG what a partnership that would have been
      RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #17: Dec 27, 2019 08:52:49 pm
      Sami as good as he was and he was very good lacked pace but as I stated incorrectly in the decade team Sami and Virgil OMG what a partnership that would have been

He didn’t need it mate, his reading of the game was something else. Never saw him caught out.

One his games that springs to mind was in our title chase of 08/09 at the toilet. Whoever was meant to be starting picked up an injury in the warm up and Sami comes in last minute, hadn’t played in weeks and put in an immense performance.

Brilliant player imo and one who wouldn’t be out of place in today’s team.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #18: Dec 27, 2019 09:12:36 pm
      It is so hard,been watching the reds since the 60's, these days, its  the big Dutchman, followed closely by Matip and Joe. Hansen and Lawro, were poetry,but the two defenders for me were Smithy, and Sammi.... all heart
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #19: Dec 28, 2019 11:20:05 pm
      With VVD comes greatness.  I mean it is not just him that is great.  The signing, the timing of the signing it was all great.   

When we trying to get him they were teams interested it is believed City were interested.   Mourinho must have been interested,  I would have thought.    But with Jürgen’s comments about Pogba he and his colleagues probably thought lets not get involved, let us watch this drama and have a good laugh.  They were just waiting  for the comedy and laugh to start.   What they saw was probably tears and massive regret as City missed out on Kompany’s DADDY,  and Utd might have got Ferdinand’s GRAND DADDY. 

I thought at the time 50m max, we went all in at about 50% at least more.   But at that time if we had waited until the following summer again, he would have most probably slipped away.   We tried in summer and then it was getting difficult.  Though Coutinho’s deal was a massive factor but still we went all in got the man without dirty oil money.  It was a massive huge gigantic transfer.   Get that wrong and we would have been in trouble it would halted our transfers that followed.   Whilst our rivals were waiting for a comedy show with the brilliant work of everyone involved, we got  after a quick baptising from Klopp  an absolutely perfectly ripe ready to deliver and ready to raise the bar for all defenders before him.   It was an absolutely great performance from all our recruitment team.  Mourinho tried to have a cheap shot after about the price but he didn’t quite listen what Klopp said.  Klopp said we don’t buy last season’s best players. We buy this season's or next season's best players!  Klopp made him into the greatest defender.    It was a great Transfer and great timing.

JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #20: Dec 29, 2019 04:21:39 am

I tried d to answer this and when I typed Hyypia auto correct changed it to Hipos

But Virgil is the best I’ve seen.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Dec 29, 2019 06:38:14 am
      Big Rowdy was instrumental along with Shanks and the St with bringing this club back to greatness.Jockey was a fantastic centre half and always read the game well and for longevity and class he would get my vote.I will throw another name into the ring ,Bill Jones he played for England as centre half,he was the most versatile and played in every position except goalie for Liverpool.He was the gran dad of Rob Jones.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #22: Dec 29, 2019 06:58:31 am
      Vvd

Quick Reply