Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Our greatest Centre back.

Read 3163 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Re: Our greatest Centre back.
      Reply #23: Dec 29, 2019 07:10:00 am
      Just reading this thread makes me feel an old c**t , I love big Virg I love Mane Trent all of them but put a sh*t load of trophys In the cupboard and then we’ll talk ,
      Jocky got a few under his belt match that then we can debate
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Dec 29, 2019 07:21:07 am
      Just reading this thread makes me feel an old c**t , I love big Virg I love Mane Trent all of them but put a sh*t load of trophys In the cupboard and then we’ll talk ,

Ditto.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25: Dec 29, 2019 11:52:45 am

What d'ya mean 'makes you feel old Andy?  ;)
      I'm a old kunt too, never seen Rowdy play so can't comment on this Colossus, as Shanks described him,
      For me I can't see past Jocky Hansen, I seen him play for Partick Thisle before seeing him again playing for us, the man was coolness personified, 
      Big Sami would be my next choice, but i think though by the time Virgil hangs his boots up he could surpass them both,
      So much like Hansen cool as you like and reads everyone and everything in front,

World class doesn't do him justice!

YNWA
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #26: Dec 29, 2019 12:22:52 pm

What d'ya mean 'makes you feel old Andy?  ;)
      I'm a old kunt too, never seen Rowdy play so can't comment on this Colossus, as Shanks described him,
      For me I can't see past Jocky Hansen, I seen him play for Partick Thisle before seeing him again playing for us, the man was coolness personified, 
      Big Sami would be my next choice, but i think though by the time Virgil hangs his boots up he could surpass them both,
      So much like Hansen cool as you like and reads everyone and everything in front,

World class doesn't do him justice!

YNWA
      i agree mate and I’m not for one minute saying Virg won’t be , it’s just us old bar stewards , remember Hansen striding out front the back with pride , setting us on our way .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #27: Dec 29, 2019 12:28:08 pm
      Won't be seeing a better one in my lifetime, not just for The Reds.

One of those lads you will marvel about in 50 years time.
      Said that with a few , think we should all just enjoy the ride , he’s like the corner of the puzzle , sure you can still do it but it’s that one piece that completes the picture ,,
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #28: Dec 29, 2019 01:36:27 pm
      Said that with a few , think we should all just enjoy the ride , he’s like the corner of the puzzle , sure you can still do it but it’s that one piece that completes the picture ,,

We should enjoy the ride mate because its an incredible one so far I could point the finger at one single player who hasn't made a significant contribution. Some still like to pick holes I know but really this is a very very special team along with Virgil we may have to say come June we have a team with some of the very best players ever to wear a Red shirt. We have had 3 European finals in Jurgens short time here its an absolute pleasure watching them
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #29: Dec 29, 2019 02:40:23 pm
      We will see what his career looks like in retrospect from a few more years down the road, but I just don’t see how anyone could command a game and have so many qualities (not just defensive but offensive and leadership) that VVD does. No question he’s the best defender to come around in recent years, one of the best all time? I hope we get to find out a long way down the road.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,225 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #30: Dec 29, 2019 03:36:18 pm
      Hansen for me great defender, good in the air and could run with the ball
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Dec 29, 2019 07:00:27 pm
      VVD!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #32: Dec 29, 2019 09:54:47 pm
      It's Jocky......by a league title ;)
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #33: Dec 29, 2019 09:59:15 pm
      As an all rounder Hansen by a country mile.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #34: Dec 29, 2019 10:03:35 pm
      Hansen was without doubt our best until we signed Virgil. I may be being biased but I can’t remember watching a better one EVER!
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #35: Dec 29, 2019 11:03:40 pm
      Ron Yeats watched him in 60's and 70's, still had it when he signed for Tranmere Rovers.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,187 posts | 832 
      Reply #36: Dec 30, 2019 09:39:09 am
      No argument against Sami of course, but to your point about resources in days gone by, TAA is an Academy product and Robbo cost us, what was it? 8 million British Sterling?

Sorry, just a side note.

We've had Riise and Finann during Sami's days, who are really good consistent and solid fullbacks. You could say that during Hyypia's generation we were blessed with Gerrard and Carragher from the academy and now we are blessed with TAA.

but I meant that the squad today is stronger because we have better resources at our disposal and our owners are looking forward while our previous owners were very outdated and couldn't cope with Manc dominance.

Do you remember that game when we beat the Mancs 4-1 at OT? Hyypia was world class, can't find the video of his performance, but I remember he put in one of the best performances I've seen from a defender in really long time

side note, we also had one of the strongest if not the strongest defense in the league back then under Rafa (remember Reina's 3 golden glove awards?) thanks to Hyypia - Carra partnership. If only we could have translated those into league titles. Oh and we bought Hyypia for only 3.4m that's like 15m in today's market.
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2019 09:43:13 am by Arab Scouse »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #37: Dec 30, 2019 11:43:01 am
      We've had Riise and Finann during Sami's days, who are really good consistent and solid fullbacks. You could say that during Hyypia's generation we were blessed with Gerrard and Carragher from the academy and now we are blessed with TAA.

but I meant that the squad today is stronger because we have better resources at our disposal and our owners are looking forward while our previous owners were very outdated and couldn't cope with Manc dominance.

Do you remember that game when we beat the Mancs 4-1 at OT? Hyypia was world class, can't find the video of his performance, but I remember he put in one of the best performances I've seen from a defender in really long time

side note, we also had one of the strongest if not the strongest defense in the league back then under Rafa (remember Reina's 3 golden glove awards?) thanks to Hyypia - Carra partnership. If only we could have translated those into league titles. Oh and we bought Hyypia for only 3.4m that's like 15m in today's market.

Just watched Gerrard and Neville talking over the highlights of that 4-1 win at OT. Great stuff, but your point about our ownership in those days is well taken.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #38: Dec 30, 2019 01:32:54 pm
      A lot going for Hansen on here. And to think he only ever wanted to be a golf pro 😁
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39: Dec 30, 2019 03:29:38 pm
      It's Jocky......by a league title ;)

One thing when we talk about "best ever" - you have to take longevity into account. Hansen, Yeats, Hyppia, Carragher, all played for at least 10 years in a Liverpool jersey. Virgil is in his second full season with the club. I would back him for best defender in the world now and he's made a transformative impact on our team since coming in two years ago, but I think in today's society where we are so into legacy and subjective questions like "who was the best ever?," we have to separate that objectively from "who is the best now."

Which reminds that part of Klopp's team-building model appears to be getting players and KEEPING them around for more than a couple of seasons. You don't see much of that in football today and I think it can play a big part in building the kind of spirit Klopp knows can make such a difference.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40: Dec 30, 2019 03:32:25 pm
      There was a lad from Kirkby called Phil who did quite well and barely gets a mention
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #41: Dec 30, 2019 04:07:14 pm
      He didn’t need it mate, his reading of the game was something else. Never saw him caught out.

One his games that springs to mind was in our title chase of 08/09 at the toilet. Whoever was meant to be starting picked up an injury in the warm up and Sami comes in last minute, hadn’t played in weeks and put in an immense performance.

Brilliant player imo and one who wouldn’t be out of place in today’s team.

I’ll never forget that either, he was a colossus that match. F***ing superb
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #42: Dec 30, 2019 04:12:18 pm
      I’ll never forget that either, he was a colossus that match. F***ing superb

His goal against Juve is a stand out moment for me took like a striker. Always hoped he would find his way back here in a coaching role

Quick Reply