Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Wolves?

Alisson
      4 (5.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (2.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      47 (63.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.1%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      4 (5.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (5.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Mo Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: Jan 01, 2020 07:17:06 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Wolverhampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18124 times
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts | 60 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Wolverhampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Dec 29, 2019 09:13:06 pm
      I thought we did enough for the win,as we created the more clear cut chances, defo some tired legs out there, common sense would say give them a complete rest until blades game.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #346: Dec 29, 2019 09:21:38 pm
      I thought we did enough for the win,as we created the more clear cut chances, defo some tired legs out there, common sense would say give them a complete rest until blades game.

Totally agree with you man. Top teams do enough to win games especially in this period where we are playing an insane amount of games.  We have been using kids to desperately fill our bench.  It was a solid champion winning performance.  They hardly made Allison break a sweat. 
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #347: Dec 29, 2019 10:24:33 pm
      Anyone know anything about this ball boy incident that's being reported on the BBC?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #348: Dec 29, 2019 10:36:39 pm
      Anyone know anything about this ball boy incident that's being reported on the BBC?

Just seen the report on BBC website, but honestly don't remember seeing anything during the game.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #349: Dec 29, 2019 11:10:44 pm
      Just seen the report on BBC website, but honestly don't remember seeing anything during the game.

Twittered it, apparently the ball boy didn't release the ball quick enough for the Wolves player, and there was an altercation.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #350: Dec 29, 2019 11:30:00 pm
      I thought we were better then them in more periods throughout the game so we deserved the win.

Can't believe VAR got it right twice today. 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #351: Dec 29, 2019 11:57:07 pm
      Can't believe VAR got it right twice today. 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Honestly missed Mane's goal as I was too busy complaining about the push in the back on Lallana, when the VAR check come up I honestly didn't have a clue what the F**k was going on :laugh:

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #352: Dec 30, 2019 12:35:36 am
      Gritty win. Congrats to these warriors.

For perspective, we've played 4 games in 11 days, on two continents, winning them all.

From what I saw in the 2nd half today, this next match is the time to rotate, not the Cup match next Sunday. Four days are not enough given how much we've played of late.

I know the league is the bigger prize by far and I know Sheffield United are a decent opponent, but the team NEED a full week to recover. We have a 13-point lead and we have to think bigger picture. I hope Jürgen makes 7-8 changes for Thursday and then again for next Sunday.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1975 
      Reply #353: Dec 30, 2019 01:17:14 am
      Another great win. This team is truly phenomenal. I've almost forgotten what it's like to lose a league game now. Its frightening how good we are.

I expected to see lots of changes today so I was very surprised seeing how strong our line up was. Klopp obviously rates and respects this wolves team and it proved to be the right decision because that was no easy game.

I haven't watched the highlights or gone through the above comments yet but from my memory, the first half was just sheer dominance from us. We had all of the ball and were playing most of the game in their half. We had a couple of good chances but in general I thought wolves defended well, held their shape and stuck to their game plan.

The goal eventually came and where my seat is I was directly online with lallana. I said at the time it hit his chest so when the goal was disallowed I had a feeling VAR would over rule the referees decision and give it, which it did.

Wolves then equalised and again from where I sit it looked like they had a couple of players offside on their right hand side and a lot of our fans were calling for offside (but again I've not seen the replays) so I think the right decision was made? From their point of view it was a good goal but I thought we switched off and it was sloppy from us so a little cause for concern there.

Good half from us though. My only criticism really is I thought we played down the right hand side a bit too much and that we didn't involve Robbo and mane more. Tactics from klopp possibly I'm not sure.

Second half begins and we weren't as dominant. Wolves grew into the game and had a couple of good half chances, especially towards the end. It was a little bit edgey at times but I thought we were professional and saw the game out well.

I gave joe Gomez motm who I thought had a top game and don't remember him putting a foot wrong. When I selected him and saw that he got more than half the votes then it looks like others agree with me too.

Just want to give a mention to Jordan Henderson too. I've been very critical of Jordan ever since he's joined us really but I've got to say in the last 12 months or so he's really grew as a player. The signing of Fabinho has certainly helped him but even with Fabinho out injured at the moment and Jordan slotting back into a deeper role, he's performing much, much better now. I've noticed he no longer plays the safe 5 yard pass backwards or sideways and he looks forward a lot more now and it certainly makes a difference in how we play at times. It wasn't so long ago he was last in my pecking order to play from the midfielders we have, but now he's currently first. He's doing really well and has turned into a leader of late and takes on a lot more responsibility which is all I ever wanted. Well done Jordan keep it up.

I don't usually give a sh*t about other teams and how they get on, but I like wolves. I like how they play, I like their players and I like their manager too. Wish them well for the future.

Anyway, another 3 points towards the title. Go unbeaten lads and bring it home. Up the F***ing mighty reds.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #354: Dec 30, 2019 01:34:18 am
      Klopp said Shaq would have started this game but for the slight hamstring issue he picked up yesterday. Wonder who he’d have been in for. My guess would be either Mane as he played the 90 on Boxing Day or Lallana and gone 4231.

Not that it matters like.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6376 
      Reply #355: Dec 30, 2019 04:38:44 am
      They gave us a game which I thought they might. If I’m honest that Wolves goal probably should have stood. I would have been pissed had the teams been reversed. It is what it is I guess. We can’t control what the officials do whether good or bad.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #356: Dec 30, 2019 07:29:28 am
      It was a hard earned 3 points and it has brought number 19 one step nearer.And you cannot ask for more than that so well done to our REDS.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #357: Dec 30, 2019 08:15:28 am
      They gave us a game which I thought they might. If I’m honest that Wolves goal probably should have stood. I would have been pissed had the teams been reversed. It is what it is I guess. We can’t control what the officials do whether good or bad.

offside is offside, its like Mane's disallowed goal against Villa. I do think the rule needs to be changed though to give advantage to the attacking team, being offside by a few cm's is nonsense.

The one thing that surprised me was how much more energy they had than us in the second half, I really thought that would be the other way round, I also thought Klopp waited a bit to long to make his subs, Gini and Lallana had relatively poor games, especially in the second half, and should have been subbed sooner. Likewise Origi should have come on sooner. I also think this might have been a good opportunity for Elliott to get a few minutes at the end and really run at their defence.

Anyway we got the three points and the lads can now have a well earned rest but I think we will have to either rotate heavily for Sheffield or the Bitters, but on the positive side we can start Minamino against the Bitters, hopefully he'll have the same instant impact as Virgil did, which could be fun :-)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #358: Dec 30, 2019 08:18:42 am
      We never got outplayed. The only proper chance Wolves created in the second half was from a VVD error and they had a couple of half openings from the edge of the box which they blazed over. I thought we actually kept the ball pretty well as we needed to do as we were quite leggy at times.

From what I remember they created the clearer openings in that second half and we were certainly clinging on at the end because only one team looked like scoring, not sure why we were so leggy with an extra day of rest over them who only had 48hours to recover.

Any way this period of the year has been our Achilles heel in the past so another 3 pts is more than welcome.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #359: Dec 30, 2019 08:51:12 am
      From what I remember they created the clearer openings in that second half and we were certainly clinging on at the end because only one team looked like scoring, not sure why we were so leggy with an extra day of rest over them who only had 48hours to recover.

Any way this period of the year has been our Achilles heel in the past so another 3 pts is more than welcome.

?

Genuinely can't remember them doing anything in the entire game bar Traore's deflected shot from outside the box and VVD's error. A few sh*te attempts from distance, too, I guess.

We were comfortably deserving, but again threw away a couple goals. Mo should've scored early and Bob could've scored with his header from the corner.

Gomez was sensational. Close to perfect. So delighted for him, he's getting a run in the side and showing how bloody good he is.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #360: Dec 30, 2019 09:15:15 am
      Hard earned victory against a very good Wolves team. At least a few days off to recharge their batteries.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #361: Dec 30, 2019 11:19:45 am
      Tough game & it’s showed towards the end.

After the Sunday’s game we will go on the play 1 game every 5/6 days which should help us regain some much needed rest..

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #362: Dec 30, 2019 11:22:14 am
      Reflecting on the game yesterday I can recall so many fouls against us that the REF didn't give it seemed to me he was trying to give Wolves opportunities to compensate for the VAR decisions he was bloody awful at times. All the talk about 45 hours rest these lads played a 120 min final flew back 3000 miles the following day played second in the league away and trounced them and then played the team who beat CITY after being 2-0 down. No wonder Jürgen praises his lads but acknowledged mentally they looked jaded last night but still won.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #363: Dec 30, 2019 12:59:59 pm
      Crazy how several media sites and Facebook fan groups are running with the story that VAR is bias to Liverpool... and they caption it with a still image of the ball appearing to touch Virgil's arm prior to Mane's goal.

Yet.. the video clip clearly shows the ball does not touch Virgil. It's ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/kristofa28/status/1211366073771147268?s=20
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #364: Dec 30, 2019 02:05:52 pm
      MOTM was Gomez, he covered VVD not the other way round as CB partnership should be.

Mane was deadly with our goal.

I'm in favour of VAR because if not we would have entered the half time one goal down rather the other way round. The offside rule needs to adjust not VAR. I would do it as Souness said last night. If any part of the player is onside, he's onside and you cut off any arguments.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #365: Dec 30, 2019 02:10:42 pm
      MOTM was Gomez, he covered VVD not the other way round as CB partnership should be.

Mane was deadly with our goal.

I'm in favour of VAR because if not we would have entered the half time one goal down rather the other way round. The offside rule needs to adjust not VAR. I would do it as Souness said last night. If any part of the player is onside, he's onside and you cut off any arguments.

I agree with you and Souness about adjusting the offside rule to give the attacking side more the benefit, the rule was put in place initially to stop goal-hanging and of course now it goes so far beyond that.

But no matter where you draw the line, there will always be close decisions where a player is either an inch on or off. That change won't end the existence of the close call/replay.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #366: Dec 30, 2019 02:16:19 pm
      I agree with you and Souness about adjusting the offside rule to give the attacking side more the benefit, the rule was put in place initially to stop goal-hanging and of course now it goes so far beyond that.

But no matter where you draw the line, there will always be close decisions where a player is either an inch on or off. That change won't end the existence of the close call/replay.

But there will not armpit or shoulders. Any part is onside, then onside.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #367: Dec 30, 2019 03:44:10 pm
      Not pretty,job done do not give a flying F**k!

Quick Reply