Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Wolves?

Alisson
      4 (5.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (2.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      47 (63.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.1%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      4 (5.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (5.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Mo Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: Jan 01, 2020 07:17:06 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Wolverhampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18135 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Wolverhampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Dec 30, 2019 04:58:18 pm
      They gave us a game which I thought they might. If I’m honest that Wolves goal probably should have stood. I would have been pissed had the teams been reversed. It is what it is I guess. We can’t control what the officials do whether good or bad.

I agree, it should have been 1-1 at half time.

But what annoys me is everyone saying we should have dropped points. However going in at half time with a draw would mean a totally different mentality in the second half. Wolves might have tried to hold on for a point so there’s a good chance we still would have won anyway, nobody knows.

Anyway, a win is a win. Can’t believe how perfect this season has gone so far.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,689 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #369: Dec 31, 2019 05:06:44 pm
      It seems a little unnecessary but in fairness, it doesn’t look like a massive deal.

https://twitter.com/RNOAnfield/status/1211627178795945984
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #370: Dec 31, 2019 06:45:53 pm
      Anyway, a win is a win. Can’t believe how perfect this season has gone so far.

It's only going to get better, too! I think we can, and will, get even stronger over the next few seasons.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #371: Dec 31, 2019 07:14:53 pm
      Quote from LondonRed83
      I agree, it should have been 1-1 at half time.

But what annoys me is everyone saying we should have dropped points. However going in at half time with a draw would mean a totally different mentality in the second half. Wolves might have tried to hold on for a point so there’s a good chance we still would have won anyway, nobody knows.

You're right, we don't know. What we do know is the score it was at the time, and the score it would have been had the illegal goal counted. Use the difference between them, and you will see it's 2 more points that we would not have got without VAR saving us. Without VAR, the score at half time would have been 0-0, and there's no guarantee the scoreline would have changed after it.

Not much else to write about, as it was a poor game and a poor performance. But it is 50 league games unbeaten at home, which is an astonishing achievement. Another 14 wins and No. 19 is home.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #372: Dec 31, 2019 07:18:10 pm
      You're right, we don't know. What we do know is the score it was at the time, and the score it would have been had the illegal goal counted. Use the difference between them, and you will see it's 2 more points that we would not have got without VAR saving us. Without VAR, the score at half time would have been 0-0, and there's no guarantee the scoreline would have changed after it.

Not much else to write about, as it was a poor game and a poor performance. But it is 50 league games unbeaten at home, which is an astonishing achievement. Another 14 wins and No. 19 is home.

Actually without var it would have been 1-0 to them at half time and in that case we would have played far more positively second half,Im sure of that
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #373: Dec 31, 2019 10:49:55 pm
      Could actually be that, as it is, VAR worked perfectly. Has to be remembered it is only SUBJECTIVE decisions that are judged on the ' clear and obvious error ' rule. Offsides are either onside or offside and no preference is given..if it's off it's...if it's on it's on. Offsides are a 100% factual decision.

It would be difficult to give preference to the attacking side as the decision then involves an element of subjectivity.

So the two decisions..The hand ball by Lallana WAS a 'clear and obvious error' and the Wolves goal was offside. End of.

If everyone simply accepted that VAR offside Law is a 100% factual decision then the game can move on. All teams will be unlucky at times.....but that's football.

The ref does not refer decisions to VAR...they decide and tell the Ref through his earpiece.

i.e. Subjective decisions.  Fouls, penalties,hand ball,red/yellow cards......Factual decision.Offside,Ball over goal line, ball out of play.encrouchment on pens, mistaken identity....Not an all inclusive list but offside is a factual decision and does not come under the 'clear and obvious error' rule. 

Also worth pointing out that with subjective decisions the Ref can actually chose to ignore VAR and stay with his orginal subjective decision. In practice they don't do that but they do have that power.

https://www.premierleague.com/VAR
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2019 11:17:25 pm by Harrisimo »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #374: Dec 31, 2019 11:35:06 pm
      So we won fairly, whatever anyone says !
      Harrisimo

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #375: Jan 01, 2020 12:47:50 am
      So we won fairly, whatever anyone says !

Correct..
      Harrisimo

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #376: Jan 01, 2020 01:01:40 am
      The Wolves players, Conor Coady and indeed Graeme Souness don't fully understand how VAR is supposed to work in relation to offside. Offsides are 100% factual decision and you can't just turn them into subjective decisions or give the attack priority over defence on decisions, just because you don't like the result.Or a particular team deserved a goal.

Wolves were unlucky...we will be unlucky as will all teams. That's the nature of football.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,998 posts | 223 
      Reply #377: Jan 01, 2020 05:11:01 pm
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Live: Liverpool v Wolverhampton
      Reply #378: Jan 02, 2020 02:06:36 pm
      Lallana has put in a shift today
      Was at the game, Walt, and even though he was on the fringes a fair bit, he covered every blade of grass and is deceptively quick.  Pressed extremely well.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #379: Jan 02, 2020 02:17:36 pm
      Reflecting on the game yesterday I can recall so many fouls against us that the REF didn't give it seemed to me he was trying to give Wolves opportunities to compensate for the VAR decisions he was bloody awful at times.
      He was awful throughout the match; not just against us but the other way too! 

Both sets of fans were going mental with decisions throughout the game. 

One of the worst refereeing displays I've seen for sheer volume of bad decisions!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #380: Jan 02, 2020 05:53:24 pm
      He was awful throughout the match; not just against us but the other way too!

Pretty sure Salah got hauled to the ground in the box by his neck in the first half didn’t he? Don’t think VAR even looked at it, don’t think the broadcasters went back to it either.

Quick Reply