Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Wolves?

Alisson
      4 (5.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (2.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      47 (63.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.1%)
      Gini Wijnaldum
      4 (5.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (5.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Mo Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: Jan 01, 2020 07:17:06 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Wolverhampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18085 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Re: Live: Liverpool v Wolverhampton
      Reply #322: Dec 29, 2019 07:00:48 pm
      MotM by a million miles - Joe Gomez. What a f**king beast of a performance. A totally different game plan today compared to Thursday and he stood out like a Dinosaur!!

Has absolutely earned his spot alongside Virg even if Joel and Dejan are back!

Yes MOTM for me as well. Covers brilliantly for TAA.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,385 posts | 1457 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Wolverhampton: In Game & Post Game
      Reply #323: Dec 29, 2019 07:00:54 pm
      Who's Conor trying to kid anyway? We all know deep down he's buzzing ;D.
      He had a great game for them today & yeah he’s deffo made up for us really.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #324: Dec 29, 2019 07:01:42 pm
      Salah’s form these last 4 games since his Watford brace has been poor. Can barely hit the target and his touch has been poor. Some of his shooing techniques have been bizarre too.

Massive let off, think Wolves would have scored if the game went on much longer but we held on and continued this magnificent run.

Expected Wolves to be tired but we were the ones that looked it.

To be fair to Mo, he received most of the balls with his back to the goal and was immediately surrounded by 2-3 Wolves players. Was definitely a sub par game for his standards but he did his bit by stretching their 3-man defence quite well.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #325: Dec 29, 2019 07:04:56 pm
      You mean this season right? Cos we lost the very first game of 2019!

I mean no league defeats at Anfield, I should have clarified.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #326: Dec 29, 2019 07:05:42 pm
      Well done to Wolves today they played well but there finishing wasn't great we looked tired, but a win is a win
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #327: Dec 29, 2019 07:09:47 pm
      Tough game as expectrd but job done.first game i have watched at home for 3 weeks.think i need tgat hospital defibrilator on standby
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #328: Dec 29, 2019 07:09:53 pm
      Thank f**k for that. Massive 3 points. Huge battle, poor finishing again, and game fu**ed up by a crap ref.

The VAR decisions were right, let’s move on to the next one.

Exactly, mate.

People moaning about VAR? Without it today we wrongly get beat 0-1.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #329: Dec 29, 2019 07:09:57 pm
      Didn't see the game, at family get together.

Don't care we didn't turn them over.
      Don't care VAR was evident.
      Don't care we, I guess didn't play fantastic.

But 3 pts, and the trolls are foaming at the mouth... get in.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Wolverhampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #330: Dec 29, 2019 07:17:52 pm
      Poll added!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #331: Dec 29, 2019 07:30:03 pm
      Probably our poorest performance in a long while.

Completely outplayed in that second half due to the press that Wolves applied which our midfield could not handle, not helped by the fact that Salah continually lost the ball.

Trent fully exposed by Vinagre, I lost count the number of times he was skinned.

A huge sigh of relief at the end.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #332: Dec 29, 2019 07:59:02 pm
      Phew, delighted to get the 3 points :) Tough game, Wolves were decent, and we were nowhere near what we were at Leicester.

Thought Mo again was quiet, missed a really good chance early on, and could have been subbed off before the end. Didn't think Lallana played great, and TAA was getting beat pretty easily in the 2nd half when they were pumping long balls down his way and getting joy.
      The CBs were excellent though, thought VVD apart from one mistake was very good, as was Gomez. Hendo imho was good too covering ground, getting in tackles, generally being a pain in the ass for them. Mane made good runs and took his goal well. Alisson was solid and made saves you'd expect him to make.

Thought with Wolves pressing so high we could've played more long balls up from the back like we did against Everton, try hit Mane on the run [or whoever] and be more direct, maybe get Origi on earlier [for Mo who was ineffective tonite] and play him thro the middle.

TAA's defense can be a weak point and we've been lucky in some games [like tonite] to get away with it when the opposition focuses there, but Wolves blazed their chances wide/over toward the end.

Completely understand though that can't win every game 3-0, and there are times like today when we just need to nick a goal and then dig in a fight and scrap it out. Couldn't have done that in the past, but thank feck we can do it now.
      Summed up by the final corner in the 4 min of injury time, Wolves pack the box, but VVD climbs up, heads it out, and ref blows.

3 points closer :) Roll on Sheff Utd...
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #333: Dec 29, 2019 07:59:31 pm

Completely outplayed in that second half due to the press that Wolves applied which our midfield could not handle, not helped by the fact that Salah continually lost the ball.

Trent fully exposed by Vinagre, I lost count the number of times he was skinned.

If TAA didn't have that ability to get high and create chances etc I doubt he would get a place. He's not a bad defender, he's good but not great. He gets exposed because he gets high he leaves space in behind.One on one he can be skinned.We know that, Klopp knows that but he accepts the risk because of TAA's attacking threat.

Might find if he's moved up he won't actually be as effective. As a full back he gets the ball on the overlap and he's running on to it . Getting the ball dead so to speak would be harder as he doesn't beat a man with ease. So Klopp I think will accept the risk. Joe Gomez covers a lot for him, Hendo gets back as cover. TAA must be sharper for sure but I wouldn't swop him.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #334: Dec 29, 2019 08:05:35 pm

That's one slightly negative way of looking at it. On the other hand it was a very even game and both teams struggled to create chances.

No team ever blitzed every game during this period of game upon game upon game.

At this stage it's all about finding a way to grind out results and we have done it better than anyone else.

Not long until we can start to get back to some normality within the season 1 game a week until the resumption of the CL, which we are fully capable of dealing with. This is silly season at the moment.
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2019 08:10:37 pm by fields of anny rd »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,254 posts | 2800 
      Reply #335: Dec 29, 2019 08:13:55 pm

We never got outplayed. The only proper chance Wolves created in the second half was from a VVD error and they had a couple of half openings from the edge of the box which they blazed over. I thought we actually kept the ball pretty well as we needed to do as we were quite leggy at times.

Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #336: Dec 29, 2019 08:14:25 pm
      That's one slightly negative way of looking at it. On the other hand it was a very even game and both teams struggled to create chances.

Think they created one or two very good..half chances or better but fluffed them all. Unusually for us we hardly created anything in the second half. Klopp put it down to their momentum. I think he knew we were tired but he wouldn't admit it..rightly so..never tell players that they are tired.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #337: Dec 29, 2019 08:20:52 pm
      Tough game with tiredness kicking in, but the three points is all that matters.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,986 posts | 222 
      Reply #338: Dec 29, 2019 08:22:12 pm
      4 prem clean sheets on the spin as well

6 in total with the 2 WCC
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #339: Dec 29, 2019 08:29:14 pm
      Could have been a tougher game if Allison had to use his gloves.  3 points in the bag another clean sheet let move on.   Sheffield Utd look good so another tough game awaits.  1-0 take it with both hands now.
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1383 
      Reply #340: Dec 29, 2019 08:38:33 pm
      Could have been a tougher game if Allison had to use his gloves.  3 points in the bag another clean sheet let move on.   Sheffield Utd look good so another tough game awaits.  1-0 take it with both hands now.

Wolves was the tougher of the two. Established good solid Premier club. Beat City twice this season. Nuno is a shrewd coach as well and he knows how to motivate. Sheff U will be slightly easier, not easy by any means. The boss might think get thru this and give Salah and a few others a week or so rest till Spurs away.
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2019 10:01:53 pm by Harrisimo »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #341: Dec 29, 2019 08:40:02 pm

Missed the game as I was travelling but this doesn't fill me with much hope for watching the replay.

I can see there were 5 shots on target between the two sides so doesn't seem a thriller.

More than happy with a boring 1-0.

18 wins and a draw from the first half of a season is absolutely insane.  55 points for gods sake.

It continues to be a golden period of our football club and will be something we will be banging on about for the rest of our lives (to anyone who will listen!)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #342: Dec 29, 2019 08:40:06 pm
      Very relieved to get the 3 points, was a very poor second half, tired legs and minds.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #343: Dec 29, 2019 08:50:09 pm
      Wolves was the tougher of the two. Established good solid Premier club. Best City twice this season. Nuno is a shrewd coach as well and he knows how to motivate. Sheff U will be slightly easier, not easy by any means. The boss might think get thru this and give Salah and a few others a week or so rest till Spurs away.

Sheffield were good against City.  Another armpit decision saved shitty from going a goal down.  The ref screwed them in the goal 12 vs 11.  I was impressed by Sheffield maybe because i live in the city!  ;D

Agree after the next game players need the rest. 
      Redangel

• 8,215 posts | 1000 
      Reply #344: Dec 29, 2019 08:57:48 pm
       How anyone can criticise any of our players is beyond me. No we weren’t at our best 2nd half, but they gave everything to get that win. The fixture schedule has been brutal, they looked shattered, how about giving them the support they need to get over the line for our first Premiership title.    :hug: :hug:

Quick Reply