Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Player of the Decade

LFC Player of the Decade

Read 4494 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      LFC Player of the Decade
      Dec 30, 2019 12:32:22 pm
      Let's not take this too seriously.

You're voting for YOUR player of the decade. Whether you're voting for what someone done over the course of a season or two, what someone done over the course of time, whether it was a contribution to a moment or competition or whether you believe you're voting for who you think performed better than anyone else in a Liverpool shirt in their time there over the last decade.

I've gone Mo. Which I didn't think I would.

But those last two seasons and what they could have, and did, culminate to. He was massive in my opinion.

Edit: I know there are a couple who aren't going to get votes but if they made me smile they got in my head. And I know I'm bound to have missed somebody.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: LFC Player of the Decade
      Reply #1: Dec 30, 2019 12:54:31 pm
      You know, i have gone for jordan. After the absolute amount of sh*t he has received over the years he is still here and doing rather well thanks.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Dec 30, 2019 01:12:03 pm
      You know, i have gone for jordan. After the absolute amount of sh*t he has received over the years he is still here and doing rather well thanks.

Am I right in saying he’s also played more Premier League games than anyone else in the decade too? In a team that’s had a high number of players coming and going in that time, it’s not bad going is it. Must be doing something right.

Hard to choose though. Salah for his ridiculous amount of goals in the last 2 years, Virgil and Alisson for completely transforming the the defensive side of our team, Suarez for his brilliance in a very up and down period for the club.

Can make a case for nearly all of them in the poll being the player of the decade.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #3: Dec 30, 2019 01:26:11 pm
      Has to be Stevie G for me.
      Suarez was in playable, mo is similar, Torres was also top drawer.
      Bob at the moment is doing it for me, but Stevie was dragging us through games long before Louis arrived, and again after he’d moved on.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4: Dec 30, 2019 01:51:30 pm
      Without any shadow of a doubt Stevie G, without him we would have been a mid to lower table club for most of the last decade. Such a shame Klopp didn't come along just a few years earlier because if there was one player who deserved a league title then it was Stevie. I'm so happy that its going well for him at Rangers, I see a bright future for him in management.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Dec 30, 2019 02:04:39 pm
      Gerrard as Liverpool player of the decade?
      Lads it's 2010s not 2000s FFS.

2008 Gerrard in any 2000s team of the decade absofuckinglutely.
      2010 - 2019. van Dijk changed the game for LFC.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #6: Dec 30, 2019 02:50:39 pm
      Things like this can make a man reminisce.

I know how he left was sh*te, but...

What a F***ing player he was and what great moments he delivered.

He was a F***ing player, Cou:

https://youtu.be/atiy3TSJpMc
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #7: Dec 30, 2019 03:04:37 pm

Was also gone in 2011 after a mediocre 2010.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Dec 30, 2019 03:05:28 pm
      Let's not take this too seriously.

You're voting for YOUR player of the decade. Whether you're voting for what someone done over the course of a season or two, what someone done over the course of time, whether it was a contribution to a moment or competition or whether you believe you're voting for who you think performed better than anyone else in a Liverpool shirt in their time there over the last decade.

I've gone Mo. Which I didn't think I would.

But those last two seasons and what they could have, and did, culminate to. He was massive in my opinion.

Edit: I know there are a couple who aren't going to get votes but if they made me smile they got in my head. And I know I'm bound to have missed somebody.

Great topic/question.

Why isn't Mario Balotelli one of the options?  ;D

Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Dec 30, 2019 03:21:41 pm
      Interesting question - nevermind Balotelli, wheres Konchesky and Poulsen? ;D

Seriously though, I think there's a case for a lot of players there, obviously some of the current team like Virg, Mane, Salah, Ali have all elevated us to the next level, players like Suarez and Coutinho were a joy to watch, but for player of the decade, think it has to go to Jordan Henderson.

He's been here from the start of our recovery to now, constantly proved fans, pundits (and some managers!) wrong. He's developed so much as a player and is emblematic of the mentality the team has in abundance now. He's made more PL appearances than any other player out there and deserves every success and every trophy lift.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #10: Dec 30, 2019 06:02:59 pm
      Should I have put Raheem in there?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Dec 30, 2019 06:11:52 pm
      Henderson.

Despite being maligned by some, every manager has seen his qualities, and kept him here, becoming vice captain, then captain.

He is an excellent player, but more than that, he sacrifices his own preferences for the good of the team.

Around 20 million quid, nearly 9 years into his time here, I have to say he has proved to be a shrewd buy by KK.

He hasn't been my favourite player of this decade, but his contribution means he is probably the most important; bridging the different managers, and being an ever present, injuries aside (and remarkably few of them).

People have been lining his replacement up ever since he came here; every summer it's "this guy is Hendersons replacement", and yet it never happens.

Those who don't rate him need to ask themselves why so many managers and players do.

Oh, and just for good measure, quote of the decade as well when he was injured in the first half against Barca "It's only pain, just give us everything".
      Quality.
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2019 06:23:58 pm by Swab »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Dec 30, 2019 06:37:39 pm
      On account of the thread title Jordan has played 350 games now (?) who has had a bigger influence over that period . 2 league cup finals Europa final two CL finals and two EPL runners up. The lads given nothing but his very best since the day he came
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #13: Dec 30, 2019 07:07:15 pm
      Henderson.

Despite being maligned by some, every manager has seen his qualities, and kept him here, becoming vice captain, then captain.

He is an excellent player, but more than that, he sacrifices his own preferences for the good of the team.

Around 20 million quid, nearly 9 years into his time here, I have to say he has proved to be a shrewd buy by KK.

He hasn't been my favourite player of this decade, but his contribution means he is probably the most important; bridging the different managers, and being an ever present, injuries aside (and remarkably few of them).

People have been lining his replacement up ever since he came here; every summer it's "this guy is Hendersons replacement", and yet it never happens.

Those who don't rate him need to ask themselves why so many managers and players do.

Oh, and just for good measure, quote of the decade as well when he was injured in the first half against Barca "It's only pain, just give us everything".
      Quality.

When written like that, kind of wish I'd voted for Hendo now.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #14: Dec 30, 2019 07:17:36 pm
      Too many top drawer players for me. Although have to go for Stevie Gerard, such a loyal & outstanding player for the club.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #15: Dec 30, 2019 07:48:42 pm
      Henderson for me he has played most of the decade and has been brilliant.  When we came short with Brendan he was our best player by far.  He fought through injuries and a lot unfair criticism.    Salah has been close and so is VVD and haven't forgot Gerrard and never will, but this decade is going to Mentality Monster No.1.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #16: Dec 30, 2019 07:59:00 pm
      Henderson for me he has played most of the decade and has been brilliant.  When we came short with Brendan he was our best player by far.  He fought through injuries and a lot unfair criticism.    Salah has been close and so is VVD and haven't forgot Gerrard and never will, but this decade is going to Mentality Monster No.1.

Voted for Hendo myself..has grown as the club has grown over this past 10 years, he is the one constant and if we pull the league this year will sit in rarefied air as a captain who has "won it all" at LFC.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #17: Dec 30, 2019 08:12:02 pm
      Voted for Hendo myself..has grown as the club has grown over this past 10 years, he is the one constant and if we pull the league this year will sit in rarefied air as a captain who has "won it all" at LFC.

Will still need the FA Cup to be a full house?  But wow deserves everything that comes his way.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #18: Dec 30, 2019 08:30:21 pm
      On account of the thread title Jordan has played 350 games now (?) who has had a bigger influence over that period . 2 league cup finals Europa final two CL finals and two EPL runners up. The lads given nothing but his very best since the day he came

Not forgetting that although the obvious 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard were large parts of why we came so close to winning the league under BR, Hendo played a massive role too that I think went very unnoticed until how much we seemed to miss him when he was suspended for them 3 games on the run in.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #19: Dec 30, 2019 09:58:27 pm
      So many fantastic players there.

Suarez was electric for a couple of seasons and arguably the most gifted player every to play for us.

Coutinho so vital for a good while, Salah's numbers are insane.

Mane is possibly the best player in Europe right now, Van Dijk has become the best CB we've had in decades.

I could go on and on but for me there's a clear Player of the Decade and that's the skipper.

A fantastic footballer who's came through a lot of criticism to lead this side to become European and World Champions. All being well delivering our first title in 30 years.

A true leader of men and a man who has been picked time and time again as a key player by so many managers.

Jordan Henderson.

Player of the Decade.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #20: Dec 30, 2019 11:10:03 pm
      Henderson for reason already explained..

Milner ...  what a F***ing freebie..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Dec 30, 2019 11:31:09 pm
      You all have persuaded me about Hendo.
      Player of the Decade. Agreed.

Man have these boards changed
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #22: Dec 30, 2019 11:36:14 pm
      Jordan Henderson.

By a F***ing country mile.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #23: Dec 30, 2019 11:37:27 pm
      Wow El Bito has twice as much votes than our front 3 put together!

And Wijnaldum should be on the list as he is one of best consistent performers over the last 5 years!
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2019 11:42:39 pm by king kenny »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #24: Dec 30, 2019 11:40:31 pm
      Wow El Bito has twice as much votes than our front 3 put together!

Weird how so many Reds seem to not give a sh*t about the awful circumstances he left us in.

Certainly as worse as what Torres and Sterling did for me but at least Torres has been decent about us since.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #25: Dec 31, 2019 05:44:35 am
      Funniest moment of the decade was Suarez diving in front of Moyes and Gollum was stood there looking like a lemon.

Closely followed by Kenny telling Wenger to F**k off for all the Sky camera’s to hear.

If we are judging for the full decade I’d probably go for Hendo, given his quality and length of time but I’m
      going with the big man, VVD. A lot of us were annoyed when we missed out that summer and said we should have got someone else in, rather than wait till Jan. Well thank F**k we didn’t because there is no player in world football I’d rather have at the back.

Transformed us defensively, before he arrived we were shaky at the back and as a team you had a sense of us being a little inconsistent, capable of great things but not able to do it every week. VVD changed all that, how many league games have we lost since he joined? Scores on his debut against Everton, made us all want to grow a goatee/ponytail combination, has a boss song and generally looks cool as anything.

VVD, player of the decade.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #26: Dec 31, 2019 06:25:48 am
      Kind of has to be Jordan, longevity and availability matters. And the amount of crap he’s put up with means something as well. He’s been a fixture this decade no doubt. Still think we win the title that year if he hadn’t got that red card......
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      Reply #27: Dec 31, 2019 02:34:05 pm
      Quite surprised I'm the only one who's voted for Mo.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #28: Dec 31, 2019 03:35:11 pm
      Voted for Henderson, although many of the others have very strong cases. I think TAA could easily be the player of the decade for the 2020s.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #29: Jan 01, 2020 12:12:05 am
      Quite surprised I'm the only one who's voted for Mo.

Yeh am surprised too.  Best forward of the decade for me, and for one season the most potent in Premiership history.  2 out of 2 golden boots only gets 1 vote these days, wow, are we getting spolt.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Jan 01, 2020 12:28:25 am
      I am going to choose SG for he is part of LFC,  then when I think hard for player of the decade it has to be Henderson.

For me the moment of the decade will be seeing Henderson hugging his father when we are crown the European Champion. The emotion, the tears of joy.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #31: Jan 01, 2020 12:34:14 am
      The best individual moment of the decade was when the King return to his throne it was overdue by decades and was hands down the best moment for me!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #32: Jan 01, 2020 02:34:11 am
      I went Mane as I feel like he was the first key signing which help turn this club around into the powerhouse we have today and his contribution towards this turn around has been great.

This was really tough decision because a lot our best players only been here for few years of the decade besides Hendo and Gerrard.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #33: Jan 01, 2020 05:40:57 am
      Hendo for me, been here throughout, always gives 110%.

If it was a vote for who was the most exciting player, I'd without doubt say Luis Suarez...what an animal...F***ing loved that c**t!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #34: Jan 01, 2020 08:49:00 am
      Plenty of players  in that list that have very strong cases for the player of the decade but for me it’s Jordan Henderson,when we signed him he had a huge pair of footie boots to fill and he probably got more sh*t from the Liverpool fanbase ,commentators,journo’s & pundits then any other midfielder/captain I can recall  & even today he still divides opinions But through it all the lad just put his kit on & got on with it & he continues to prove a great many wrong.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #35: Jan 01, 2020 10:18:00 am
      Wow!!!!! I chose Henderson and was ready to argue my case and then I saw the results. Glad 33 others agree with me.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #36: Jan 01, 2020 10:53:41 am
      For longevity, consistency and captaining our route to Champions League winners.

Has to be Henderson.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #37: Jan 01, 2020 10:57:49 am
      Too many top drawer players for me. Although have to go for Stevie Gerard, such a loyal & outstanding player for the club.

Tell me one other player who always managed to drag us out of the brown stuff so often with his thunderbolt shots and all round powerhouse play. Stevie G for me very time.  And into the bargain a home grown Scouser.

Just ask yourself who would you want in midfield, Steve or Hendo.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Jan 01, 2020 11:13:56 am
      Of the decade - Luis Suarez.
      Was doing the geggenpresse for us before Jürgen arrived.
      Without the ball never stopped hassling the opposition.
      With the ball, was tenacious, always looked to beat people, and scored amazing goals.
      Joined the club for 20 something mill, left it a different and way better player imho.
      Without a defense, he was a big reason we almost got a title in 13/14, and were so good to watch for a period of time.
      Once he crossed the white line, would sell his own mother to score and win, or bite chunks out of lads.
      Had some unbelievable spells and for the memories of those, gets my vote.

In saying that, roll on 2020 :)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #39: Jan 01, 2020 11:39:58 am
      Tell me one other player who always managed to drag us out of the brown stuff so often with his thunderbolt shots and all round powerhouse play. Stevie G for me very time.  And into the bargain a home grown Scouser.

your right of course Gerrard would always be on the team sheet but over the decade Hendo has been a very good influence on the team and he carried out Jürgen's instructions to the letter despite it meaning him getting a slagging off on a regular basis until Fab came in to release him a bit more. I will always remember Hendo lifting the CL trophy and that meeting with his Dad on the pitch.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #40: Jan 01, 2020 12:17:50 pm
      Hard to pick between Suarez and Steve Gerrard, went for Gerrard in the end wish he could play in this side.....
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #41: Jan 01, 2020 12:18:40 pm

Not a fair comparison because you would want Stevie ahead of any midfield player in history imo. I was reading some quotes about him earlier and how it was to compete against him. Maldini saying how Stevie was the only player who’s leadership style reminded him of France Baresi through leading by example. The names who have showered praise on him speak volumes.

Stevie was an absolute gem and largely kept us relevant as a football club. Without him, god knows where we would have ended up.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #42: Jan 01, 2020 12:39:28 pm
      Of the decade - Luis Suarez.
      Was doing the geggenpresse for us before Jürgen arrived.
      Without the ball never stopped hassling the opposition.
      With the ball, was tenacious, always looked to beat people, and scored amazing goals.
      Joined the club for 20 something mill, left it a different and way better player imho.
      Without a defense, he was a big reason we almost got a title in 13/14, and were so good to watch for a period of time.
      Once he crossed the white line, would sell his own mother to score and win, or bite chunks out of lads.
      Had some unbelievable spells and for the memories of those, gets my vote.

In saying that, roll on 2020 :)

I’ll just never forgive his antics, fabulous talent but didn’t give a sh*t about Liverpool. Thank F**k we beat the c**t last season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #43: Jan 01, 2020 02:43:34 pm
      I’ll just never forgive his antics, fabulous talent but didn’t give a sh*t about Liverpool. Thank f**k we beat the c**t last season.

We just got a taste of what we used to love seeing him do to other teams whilst with us. The way he used to wind the opposition up, it was like giving us an instant advantage. Think he cared a lot about the club when he was here, could tell by the emotion of when we were essentially finished off in the race that season. But for him, he's very much one of them players that as soon as he goes to another club, all ties are then cut and if he ever faces a previous team, it's clear to see that the second he crosses that white line, you are nothing more than another obstacle in his way of winning so will stop at nothing to try and make that happen. But in a way, I'm kind of glad he was like that against us because I'm sure that's when Robbo started to become such a shithouse :laugh:, and I think it just motivated the team even more, done us a favour in a way.

But you're bang on, thank f**k we didn't lose to it as a result, something not many teams can say.

Fair shout on player of the decade though. Think if he hadn't missed so many games through suspension, he'd probably have been a lot closer to getting that accolade.
      « Last Edit: Jan 01, 2020 02:49:06 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #44: Jan 01, 2020 02:58:53 pm
      Stevie was an absolute gem and largely kept us relevant as a football club. Without him, god knows where we would have ended up.

He's not my player of the decade, he's my player of the last millennium :) Top of my list
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #45: Jan 01, 2020 03:02:21 pm
      but didn’t give a sh*t about Liverpool. Thank f**k we beat the c**t last season.

Think he cared when his mind was on it.
      And for me the 4-0 win against Barca was the win of the decade, absolutely unbelievable night :)
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #46: Jan 01, 2020 03:41:04 pm
      Voted for Luis, based on talent. Did unbelievable things with a football while playing for us.  Reminds me how the older generation regard Keegan.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #47: Jan 01, 2020 07:18:20 pm
      Has to be Henderson, wins the league and he'll be above Gerrard with the important trophies he's lifted as captain.
      « Last Edit: Jan 01, 2020 10:10:52 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #48: Jan 01, 2020 08:11:37 pm
      I’ve spent most of this decade arguing Jordan Henderson is a top class player and people just didn’t know what they were watching or were ignoring the good parts and latching onto a mistake he’d make.

The fact that he’s the runaway leader in the player of the decade puts the biggest smile on my face. Vindicated.

Quick Reply