Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

I want the FA Cup.

Read 5546 times
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 92 posts | 19 
      I want the FA Cup.
      Dec 30, 2019 09:09:52 pm
      That is all
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2019 11:39:01 pm by RedPuppy »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Re: I want the fa Cup
      Reply #1: Dec 30, 2019 09:27:59 pm
      FA cup would be nice to a get a full house for Hendo.   But suppose it depends on the squad we are just thin at the moment with a lot of key players out.  Personally would like a mixture of a few of our star players mixed with fringe and youth players.  We have a fantastic lead in the league but it is bang on half way and fielding weak sides would be complacency at this stage.  If we can navigate past this round we should be getting the likes of Lovren/Matip and Fabinho back for the next round. 
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #2: Dec 31, 2019 04:14:34 pm

Well I doubt Klopp has that great an interest and he isn't going to jepardise our Premier league title chase in pursuit of what is third priority. He'll put out a line up of mostly fringe players with the odd first teamer and young players.V Everton something like.

Adrian

Milner...Hoever...VVD... Robbo or Larouci.

Shaq....Lallana....Gini

Elliott...Origi...Minami no.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Dec 31, 2019 04:20:51 pm
      Bit of a break after the game so go full strength. No coincedencr for me we have had form dips in january when. Klopp changes the team around for the cup
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #4: Dec 31, 2019 04:28:05 pm
      For the first time in a long time I would say go with the kids we cannot afford any injuries - the fa cup means a lot of course - and it would have to be frigging Everton who will be out to kick the F**k out of us - so for me - leave it alone
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Dec 31, 2019 06:49:18 pm
      I just think it is worth competing for based on the competition's prestige and history.

There already seems to be a movement to scrap the League Cup (at least for Premier League teams) - but do we need to get rid of the FA Cup as well? I don't see why, especially given it is played on weekend dates. They've already started taking replays out of some of the rounds haven't they?

All the buzz seems to be that we will field a weakened side for this, but I hope we go for it. All of us would relish, in person at Wembly or watching from afar, our side lifting the trophy for this competition.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #6: Dec 31, 2019 06:53:13 pm
      I want them all but thatā€™s just me being a greedy t,,t , plus do this and the others and it puts another five timer in the cupboard .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: I want the FA Cup.
      Reply #7: Jan 01, 2020 06:38:22 am
      Every time we have won the F.A.Cup going back to the first time in 1965 the City of Liverpool has gone wild.If we win it again this season I am sure the same would apply.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #8: Jan 01, 2020 09:19:55 am
      First time that I watched Liverpool on the box. They beat our old rivals Leeds 2  1, followed the Reds ever since !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #9: Jan 01, 2020 09:39:12 am
      First time that I watched Liverpool on the box. They beat our old rivals Leeds 2  1, followed the Reds ever since !

I could be wrong, but I think thatā€™s when we adopted our anthem,
      Y N W A.
      Please correct me if you know different !
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #10: Jan 01, 2020 10:36:19 am
      Y N W A.

No idea tbh, I am sure some better informed LFC fan could answer your query.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #11: Jan 01, 2020 10:50:30 am
      Y N W A.

If memory serves me correctly,  it was first sung just after it reached number one in the charts. Around a month after the start of the season 1963. It was immediately adopted by the Kop Chior.

Celtic  started singing it much later.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #12: Jan 01, 2020 01:48:44 pm
      I would still like to win the F.A. Cup but I don't think we have enough strength in depth and I think Klopp will be prioritising the league
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Jan 01, 2020 02:20:06 pm
      Winning builds confidence and right now we are getting a nice haul of trophies started. The Carabao cup I couldnā€™t have given a damn about, itā€™s a joke of a competition thatā€™s badly arranged and named after some obscure energy drink...says it all.
      But the FA Cup we havenā€™t had a good run in since we got to the semi final and embarrassed by Villa. A long time since we won this so although I expect there will be some changes, I hope itā€™s not too many and stronger than the line ups we used up until the kids played in the Carabao Cup.
      Expect the likes of Shaq, Origi, Adrian etc to start but I have no problem with that, our rotated team has shown over the last year they should still have more than enough for a full strength Everton team.

Could argue not having the FA Cup would benefit us in the league but as City showed last season, that isnā€™t really the case because they won pretty much every game they had from their Newcastle defeat whilst still winning the FA Cup whilst we were drawing 3-4 games in a matter of weeks.

Plus, I can think of nothing worse than having these jack asses bragging for a year about how they put us out the cup. Bad enough they based last season as a success because they held us to a draw.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #14: Jan 01, 2020 03:13:03 pm
      I want the FA Cup every season because I want Liverpool to win every single game they play in.

We had seven trophies to go for this year, we've currently won two and lost two. So lets do our upmost to end the season with five trophies instead of two, three or four.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Jan 01, 2020 04:01:12 pm
      I would like the FA Cup but not at the risk of our league ambitions. We seem to have rotten luck with the draws in cup competitions though. Is the third year in a row we get prem opposition in the 3rd round?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Jan 01, 2020 05:09:51 pm
      I want nothing to get in the way of winning the Prem we need this monkey of our backs and then we can really flourish and shake of the ghosts of past glory's. If we stumble at all in the league the press and media will be over us like a rash desperate for us to fail/
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2020 01:21:23 am
      Were going to do the double this year. Were winning the FA Cup right after we win the league for the first time in 30 years
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2020 01:02:13 pm
      I'd love us to win the FA Cup but it certainly won't be the end of the world if we don't.

One thing we definitely need to do, though. Is beat Everton on Sunday. If we were playing anybody else I wouldn't have too many complaints about putting an under-strength team out but we can't do that against this lot. Those bas**rds will celebrate like they've just won the league if they manage to scrape past our u23s

Seeing as we've got a 10 point lead with 2 games in hand I don't see any reason why we should overly prioritize the league. Of course it's our top priority but we've given ourselves a good enough buffer to mount a decent challenge on all fronts so the FA Cup is certainly worth going for
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2020 02:06:25 pm
      I'd love us to win the FA Cup but it certainly won't be the end of the world if we don't.

One thing we definitely need to do, though. Is beat Everton on Sunday. If we were playing anybody else I wouldn't have too many complaints about putting an under-strength team out but we can't do that against this lot. Those bas**rds will celebrate like they've just won the league if they manage to scrape past our u23s

Seeing as we've got a 10 point lead with 2 games in hand I don't see any reason why we should overly prioritize the league. Of course it's our top priority but we've given ourselves a good enough buffer to mount a decent challenge on all fronts so the FA Cup is certainly worth going for

So are you saying rotate/freshen tonight and go full strength Sunday?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2020 02:13:55 pm

We can certainly rotate to a certain degree in both games by using Shaq, Milner, Lallana, Origi etc but I wouldn't want to see the likes of Brewster, Elliot, Van Den Berg & Hoever start against Everton
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2020 02:16:33 pm

full strength tonight and I will give my boots a clean for Sunday there is one objective for this club the PREMIER LEAGUE nothing else matters. Win that we will be  League Champs. European Champs and World Champs the FA Cup just isn't worth the risk of injuring players.
      Next season yes go for everything and see how it goes but now is not the time
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Jan 02, 2020 02:19:33 pm
      We can certainly rotate to a certain degree in both games by using the likes of Shaq, Milner, Lallana, Origi etc but I wouldn't want to see the likes of Brewster, Elliot, Van Den Berg & Hoever start against Everton

Understood. That's the thing though, with Shaqiri injured again, there's really only the three "adult backups" (JĆ¼rgen's term) available for outfield players. These final two matches of an incredibly busy stretch will still require close to full strength teams unless he will use U23 players. It seems like most fans don't want him to do that for either match so the other choice then is to keep playing mostly the same team.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #23: Jan 02, 2020 02:21:29 pm
      full strength tonight and I will give my boots a clean for Sunday there is one objective for this club the PREMIER LEAGUE nothing else matters. Win that we will be  League Champs. European Champs and World Champs the FA Cup just isn't worth the risk of injuring players.
      Next season yes go for everything and see how it goes but now is not the time

Walt, you had me at "I will give my boots a clean for Sunday." !!! - I may need to dip into savings account and book a late flight and buy a scalped ticket just to see you in action. Do me a favor and give Mason Holgate a kick while you're at it!

skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #24: Jan 02, 2020 02:22:27 pm
      I want nothing to get in the way of winning the Prem we need this monkey of our backs and then we can really flourish and shake of the ghosts of past glory's. If we stumble at all in the league the press and media will be over us like a rash desperate for us to fail/
      Agreed; want to put Everton out, but not bothered after that (unless we draw Utd or City!).

The league & CL are what matters; the FA cup's importance decreases year on year, I'm afraid.
      Cup final used to be the biggest match of the season when I was a kid; now it's not even a 3:00 KO and has league matches on the same day!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #25: Jan 02, 2020 02:38:19 pm
      Understood. That's the thing though, with Shaqiri injured again, there's really only the three "adult backups" (JĆ¼rgen's term) available for outfield players. These final two matches of an incredibly busy stretch will still require close to full strength teams unless he will use U23 players. It seems like most fans don't want him to do that for either match so the other choice then is to keep playing mostly the same team.

Forgot about Shaqiri being out, he was brilliant against Everton a few weeks ago & linked up really well with Origi. So was hoping they would both get the shout on Sunday.

I just can't fathom the thought of losing to Everton, they've not beaten us in nearly a decade and haven't won at Anfield in over 20 years. Obviously both of these records will come to an end eventually & I'm sure our end of season title winning DVD would completely overshadow their end of season "We won at Anfield against a load of kids" DVD but I really can't be arsed with the carry on from them.

2 more games and we'll basically have a well earned week off, with a good few players also due to come back from injury & no CL for a good while the demand on the players should substantially lessen over the coming months, so I'm hoping we can manage one final push over the next few days. Also on the flipside, If we do put out an under-strength team and end up with a draw on Sunday, that would mean a mid-week replay at Goodison park which I'm sure nobody wants

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26: Jan 02, 2020 02:47:44 pm
      Forgot about Shaqiri being out, he was brilliant against Everton a few weeks ago & linked up really well with Origi. So was hoping they would both get the shout on Sunday.

I just can't fathom the thought of losing to Everton, they've not beaten us in nearly a decade and haven't won at Anfield in over 20 years. Obviously both of these records will come to an end eventually & I'm sure our end of season title winning DVD would completely overshadow their end of season "We won at Anfield against a load of kids" DVD but I really can't be arsed with the carry on from them.

2 more games and we'll basically have a well earned week off, with a good few players also due to come back from injury & no CL for a good while the demand on the players should substantially lessen over the coming months, so I'm hoping we can manage one final push over the next few days. Also on the flipside, If we do put out an under-strength team and end up with a draw on Sunday, that would mean a mid-week replay at Goodison park which I'm sure nobody wants

Good points. I'm not arguing for either position to be honest. I said 6 or 7 changes in the pre-match thread but then I thought about what that would mean personnel-wise given our injury situation. JĆ¼rgen has a comment on the official site today about four days between matches being a significant difference to three days (or 3 to 2, however you count it) so that makes me think he won't change so much for today. Then you get back to the Sunday match being vs. Everton.

As much as I love mulling over team selections, I guess I'll just see what our awesome manager decides to do.

On an unrelated note, wife's extended family christmas gathering yesterday and the host decided to go with a traditional Christmas Goose for dinner. I don't know what everyone else's experiences with this are, but currently I'm feeling like I might spontaneously combust, like there's a trapeze act going on in my gut. So if the team could avoid any real drama over this match and the next, my Doctor and I will extend our warmest thanks.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #27: Jan 02, 2020 03:27:18 pm
      Happy to put all the eggs in the League and CL and give the FA Cup to the fringe and kids to play in. Far bigger fish to fry
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #28: Jan 02, 2020 03:38:48 pm
      Always loved cup final day as a kid but it ain't the same these days.But it is something we should of won more often so F***ing go for it.Also of note the u-18 and u-23 are both back from xmas break and have games saturday and sunday.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: Jan 02, 2020 03:51:13 pm
      Always loved cup final day as a kid but it ain't the same these days.But it is something we should of won more often so f**king go for it.Also of note the u-18 and u-23 are both back from xmas break and have games saturday and sunday.

I guess it's Jones, Elliott and Neco Williams who have been on the first team bench so I doubt they feature for the youth teams. Rhian Brewster is back in training I see and Pedro Chirivella one of those who has been training with the first team also.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Jan 02, 2020 04:08:17 pm
      Always loved cup final day as a kid but it ain't the same these days.But it is something we should of won more often so f**king go for it.Also of note the u-18 and u-23 are both back from xmas break and have games saturday and sunday.

It was probably the best day of the year the anticipation and the build up even if we were not in the final was brilliant. The only way it would really mean something is as a part of a treble which includes the Prem and the CL something we came close t previously.
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #31: Jan 02, 2020 04:21:52 pm
      Thereā€™s no doubt Klopp will see the bigger picture. We have a good enough squad to beat Everton, but they can huff and puff and play on the Ancelotti factor. klopp is to shrewd to get drawn into the ā€œ this town ainā€™t big enough for the both of usā€ showdown.

We will give it the priority it merits...No3 on our list.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #32: Jan 02, 2020 04:41:46 pm
      Thereā€™s no doubt Klopp will see the bigger picture. We have a good enough squad to beat Everton, but they can huff and puff and play on the Ancelotti factor. klopp is to shrewd to get drawn into the ā€œ this town ainā€™t big enough for the both of usā€ showdown.

We will give it the priority it merits...No3 on our list.

A lot will depend on tonights performance and result
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #33: Jan 02, 2020 10:49:23 pm
      Said after the game tonight there will be "fresh legs"...but we don't know how many will be rested. He doesn't want to give Ancelotti the advantage so it might not be wholesale changes.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #34: Jan 02, 2020 11:32:53 pm
      Just to clarify, I dont want the fa up and nowt else. But it's been a long time since we won it. It would be nice to accompany number 19 with a little sibling. This team is better than just one major trophy this season.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #35: Jan 03, 2020 12:01:35 am
      Everyone does want the FA cup but not at the cost of the league seems to be the general consensus. If we go far in it with our 2nd team so be it, want to win Sunday but if we donā€™t itā€™s sh*te so sh*te but weā€™ll get the last laugh when we win the title at goodison or even better again they give us the guard of honour 👍🏻
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8460 
      Reply #36: Jan 03, 2020 12:55:45 pm
      Happy to put all the eggs in the League and CL and give the FA Cup to the fringe and kids to play in. Far bigger fish to fry

Maybe in the fourth round, that shower of sh*te need embarrassing again.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Jan 03, 2020 11:55:02 pm
      We haven't got much of a squad left, can see Hoever, Adrian, Elliott, Jones, Williams and the Phillips all starting.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Jan 05, 2020 06:45:19 pm
      We haven't got much of a squad left, can see Hoever, Adrian, Elliott, Jones, Williams and the Phillips all starting.

mate great call but you forgot to mention winning the game
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #39: Jan 06, 2020 02:10:26 am
      mate great call but you forgot to mention winning the game

oh sh*t yeah bud, we should win 1-0 with a Curtis Jones stunner to break Bitter Hearts! Just a premonition I had.  :D :D
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #40: Jan 06, 2020 04:32:38 am
      Imagine this

Winning a 6th European title
      Winning the Super Cup
      Winning our first ever world title
      Breaking the streak and winning the league
      Winning a FA Cup..... All within a year.

Yeah. I want it
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #41: Jan 06, 2020 04:48:01 am
      Imagine this

Winning the Super Cup

Yeah. I want it

I'm in too mate!
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #42: Jan 06, 2020 05:26:53 am
      Imagine this

Winning the Super Cup

Yeah. I want it

Add to that winning our 7th European title in that same year.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #43: Jan 06, 2020 09:34:15 am
      Add to that winning our 7th European title in that same year.
      And winning the Super Bowl.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #44: Jan 06, 2020 09:54:41 am
      These youngsters that played yesterday, certainly seem to want to win the FA Cup !
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Jan 06, 2020 02:44:23 pm
      and why not ?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #46: Jan 06, 2020 02:47:29 pm
      Maybe in the fourth round, that shower of sh*te need embarrassing again.

I think JĆ¼rgen's boys left them suitably embarrassed .

Quick Reply