Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

IncREDible Recruitment

Read 5241 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: IncREDible Recruitment
      Reply #23: Jan 12, 2020 06:09:54 pm
      Just leaving this here to spark some further debate on this topic - no views on it either way - please don't abuse me !

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-paid-man-city-1m-16957707

From 2013.

Meaningless.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #24: Jan 12, 2020 07:53:44 pm
      So far, its been near perfect recruitment.
      But, this needs to keep happening for us to be a force. We won't bank roll a side city or psg style so intelligence is and has been key for us
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #25: Jan 12, 2020 09:44:50 pm
      Karius aside that's an astonishing list.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #26: Jan 17, 2020 10:59:52 am
      Quote from Scottbot
      When you look at the list of arrivals below (and i'm not too interested in net-spend or any of that stuff) the amount of absolute hits is out of this world. Klopp, Michael Edwards and the whole scouting department deserve all the credit in the world.

Just run through the list below

Grujic : Fail
      Matip: Hit
      Karius: Fail
      Mane: Hit
      Klavan: Fail
      Manninger: Fail
      Wijnaldum: Hit
      Salah: Hit
      Solanke: Fail
      Robbo: Hit
      Ox: Hit
      VVD: Hit
      Fabinho: Hit
      Keita: Jury Out
      Shaq: Jury Out
      Alisson: Hit
      Van Den Berg: Jury Out
      Adrian: Hit
      Minamino: Jury Out

Like all coaches, there is a mixed bag in recruitment, though most signings recently have worked out. Those with Jury Out status, are either players who are injury prone or not here long enough to decide if they will make it or not. Some like Grujic or Karius struggled to make the grade, and then there's others like Solanke who will never make the grade at any level.

We all know how valuable Robbo is, yet it took 6 months to establish himself in the team, while the other left back was chucking goals and points away every week. He almost got Jürgen sacked, because people decided that after two years in charge, we were stagnating under him and called for a change. You don't hear a word out of them now. Anyway, the rival full back got injured at home to Spartak Moscow, and Robbo finally had a chance to establish himself, which he took with both hands. And the rest is history.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #27: Jan 17, 2020 12:13:52 pm
      Grujic : Fail
      Matip: Hit
      Karius: Fail
      Mane: Hit
      Klavan: Fail
      Manninger: Fail
      Wijnaldum: Hit
      Salah: Hit
      Solanke: Fail
      Robbo: Hit
      Ox: Hit
      VVD: Hit
      Fabinho: Hit
      Keita: Jury Out
      Shaq: Jury Out
      Alisson: Hit
      Van Den Berg: Jury Out
      Adrian: Hit
      Minamino: Jury Out

Like all coaches, there is a mixed bag in recruitment, though most signings recently have worked out. Those with Jury Out status, are either players who are injury prone or not here long enough to decide if they will make it or not. Some like Grujic or Karius struggled to make the grade, and then there's others like Solanke who will never make the grade at any level.

We all know how valuable Robbo is, yet it took 6 months to establish himself in the team, while the other left back was chucking goals and points away every week. He almost got Jürgen sacked, because people decided that after two years in charge, we were stagnating under him and called for a change. You don't hear a word out of them now. Anyway, the rival full back got injured at home to Spartak Moscow, and Robbo finally had a chance to establish himself, which he took with both hands. And the rest is history.

Some mad shouts here - when did Jürgen almost get sacked? :lmao:

I think the 'Fails' you've listed are a bit unfair too as you need to look at the context

Grujic: Certainly hasn't broken into the first team but has been absolutely tearing it up for Hertha Berlin the last year and a half - If we sell him, we'll certainly make a good profit

Karius: Fail - Yes, definitely

Klavan: - Wouldn't call Klavan a fail, everyone knew he wasn't going to set the world alight. Signed him for a couple of million and did a decent enough job for a couple of years (a la Kyrigiakos)

Manninger: 39 years of age - Signed as a 3rd choice GK on a free with a view to offer his experience to the younger goalkeepers, can't really call him a fail as nothing was expected of him. Like calling Lonergan a failure

Solanke: Another free transfer so cost us zilch in terms of a fee. Definitely not good enough to wear the shirt but we got £20M for him a year later, terrific business and worth signing him for the profit alone

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Jan 17, 2020 12:20:34 pm
      Some mad shouts here - when did Jürgen almost get sacked? :lmao:

I think the 'Fails' you've listed are a bit unfair too as you need to look at the context

Grujic: Certainly hasn't broken into the first team but has been absolutely tearing it up for Hertha Berlin the last year and a half - If we sell him, we'll certainly make a good profit

Karius: Fail - Yes, definitely

Klavan: - Wouldn't call Klavan a fail, everyone knew he wasn't going to set the world alight. Signed him for a couple of million and did a decent enough job for a couple of years (a la Kyrigiakos)

Manninger: 39 years of age - Signed as a 3rd choice GK on a free with a view to offer his experience to the younger goalkeepers, can't really call him a fail as nothing was expected of him. Like calling Lonergan a failure

Solanke: Another free transfer so cost us zilch in terms of a fee. Definitely not good enough to wear the shirt but we got £20M for him a year later, terrific business and worth signing him for the profit alone

Don't know if you were here then, but there used to be a couple of tag team wums who started the "debate" about Klopp getting sacked if he didn't win a trophy by "X date".
      They got ripped to shreds, and fu**ed off (and rightly so).
      The other beaut was when they started saying  we didn't score enough goals, which was bizarre since even a cursory look, showed we were scoring more goals than the season before.

The forum is a much better place without them, only one wum left and most just ignore him.

Back to the players, Grujic has always looked like he could be an absolute beast if he continued his develoment (the key here) and as you say, has been tearing it up on loan.

I agree, it's all about context.
      Like in the Brewster thread; young kid, bad injury, feeling his way back. A loan was the right move for him. Let the lad get some rhythm back (as Klopp would say)
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #29: Jan 17, 2020 12:38:53 pm
      Don't know if you were here then, but there used to be a couple of tag team wums who started the "debate" about Klopp getting sacked if he didn't win a trophy by "X date".
      The other beaut was when they started saying  we didn't score enough goals, which was bizarre since even a cursory look, showed we were scoring more goals than the season before.

The forum is a much better place without them, only one wum left and most just ignore him.

Back to the players, Grujic has always looked like he could be an absolute beast if he continued his develoment (the key here) and as you say, has been tearing it up on loan.

Like in the Brewster thread; young kid, bad injury, feeling his way back. A loan was the right move for him. Let the lad get some rhythm back (as Klopp would say)

Bed-wetters everywhere, some people just love a moan. I remember one of Rafa's sides being booed off after we drew to West Ham at home about 10 years ago (Baring in mind the point actually took us ahead of Man United & to the top of the table) :lmao:

We've improved massively every single season under Klopp which is incredible & I can't ever remember a team making such a consistent upward trajectory like this one has. If anybody wasn't able to see that (even in the early days) then they're an idiot.

One thing I do worry about, if this season ends the way we've started it, there'll be nowhere else to go & we will have more or less reached the ceiling. If we do end up going on a little bad run in the future, or drop a few points all of the whoppers will come back out of the woodwork. The amazing thing this season is that we've been basically perfect so there isn't a single straw for the arseholes to clutch at. I'm cringing thinking about the inevitable point where for a period, our level might drop slightly, and all of the Twitter gobshites etc crawl back out of their holes
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Jan 17, 2020 01:19:55 pm
      Bed-wetters everywhere, some people just love a moan. I remember one of Rafa's sides being booed off after we drew to West Ham at home about 10 years ago (Baring in mind the point actually took us ahead of Man United & to the top of the table) :lmao:

We've improved massively every single season under Klopp which is incredible & I can't ever remember a team making such a consistent upward trajectory like this one has. If anybody wasn't able to see that (even in the early days) then they're an idiot.

One thing I do worry about, if this season ends the way we've started it, there'll be nowhere else to go & we will have more or less reached the ceiling. If we do end up going on a little bad run in the future, or drop a few points all of the whoppers will come back out of the woodwork. The amazing thing this season is that we've been basically perfect so there isn't a single straw for the arseholes to clutch at. I'm cringing thinking about the inevitable point where for a period, our level might drop slightly, and all of the Twitter gobshites etc crawl back out of their holes

I agree.

Any sensible person would understand that once you reach the summit, there's nowhere else to go, but I'd like to think we'll keep challenging for trophies.

My son has social media (I don't) and he's shown me some tw*ts already moaning because "we won't win the CL this year because we concentrated on the league".
      I can't even begin to understand that level of stupidity.

And of course, when we do win the league, it'll bring more plastic glory hunters out with the inevitable whining.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #31: Jan 17, 2020 01:31:06 pm
      We are a totally different club now in transfers since 3-4 years ago.  it does seem as if we take charge of the transfer deal rather than panic buying to fill a gap.

Long may this continue.

YNWA
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #32: Jan 17, 2020 01:34:15 pm
      I agree.

Any sensible person would understand that once you reach the summit, there's nowhere else to go, but I'd like to think we'll keep challenging for trophies.

My son has social media (I don't) and he's shown me some tw*ts already moaning because "we won't win the CL this year because we concentrated on the league".
      I can't even begin to understand that level of stupidity.

And of course, when we do win the league, it'll bring more plastic glory hunters out with the inevitable whining.

Oh yeah I'm sure we'll still be challenging for trophies for a good while from now, it seems as though the foundations have been laid well enough to do so. I'm just talking about maybe having a bad run here & there, or maybe one season falling slightly short of one of these near-impossible points tallys which ourselves and City have had the last few seasons. The first sign of imperfection and they will be straight out of the traps

And yeah, social media is a cesspit mate. Anybody with half a brain would be able to realize that we have a better chance of winning the Champions League this season than we did the last, as domestically, we have potential to take our foot off the gas in a couple of months if the league is wrapped up
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #33: Jan 17, 2020 01:39:52 pm
      Oh yeah I'm sure we'll still be challenging for trophies for a good while from now, it seems as though the foundations have been laid well enough to do so. I'm just talking about maybe having a bad run here & there, or maybe one season falling slightly short of one of these near-impossible points tallys which ourselves and City have had the last few seasons. The first sign of imperfection and they will be straight out of the traps

And yeah, social media is a cesspit mate. Anybody with half a brain would be able to realize that we have a better chance of winning the Champions League this season than we did the last, as domestically, we have potential to take our foot off the gas in a couple of months if the league is wrapped up

I just don't understand the mentality.

If a Liverpool fan can't enjoy the ride, maybe football's not the game for them.

We've had a lot more thin than thick for 30 years, and what we're doing now is incredible.
      I have absolutely no doubt Klopp has plans for the next 4/5 years, and the scary thing is, we're going to get better.

The players we have now show the difference between BR and Klopp (although to be fair, BR said recently that he's perhaps not the best judge of a player. I know it was said half tongue in cheek, but I reckon he meant it).

It'll be interesting to see who Klopp brings in over the next couple of seasons.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #34: Jan 17, 2020 02:45:07 pm
      I just don't understand the mentality.

If a Liverpool fan can't enjoy the ride, maybe football's not the game for them.

We've had a lot more thin than thick for 30 years, and what we're doing now is incredible.
      I have absolutely no doubt Klopp has plans for the next 4/5 years, and the scary thing is, we're going to get better.

The players we have now show the difference between BR and Klopp (although to be fair, BR said recently that he's perhaps not the best judge of a player. I know it was said half tongue in cheek, but I reckon he meant it).

It'll be interesting to see who Klopp brings in over the next couple of seasons.

Looking forward to the next few years
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #35: Jan 17, 2020 03:01:34 pm

Looking forward to the next few years

Depends on how much money FSG leaves us,no?  ;) Red Sox need a new manager.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36: Jan 17, 2020 03:30:47 pm

Back to the players, Grujic has always looked like he could be an absolute beast if he continued his development (the key here) and as you say, has been tearing it up on loan.

Remember the Klopp out tag team discussion. Different days here now (except maybe in match threads when we're 0-0 after 25 minutes  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: ).
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2020 01:25:24 am by Robby The Z »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #37: Jan 17, 2020 11:59:05 pm
      Quote from Swab
      I agree.

If we win it early, then there are other targets in the league to go for. Points, unbeaten record etc. And the following year, we want to equal that title record  that we haven't held for 10 years, and then hold it outright the following year. So even though we're looking way down the line, there are still targets to go after.

What we don't want to do is the boom or bust cycle, where we reach the summit, then hurtle down the cliff. We will need to strengthen the squad again next year, and further down the line. We didn't do that the last time we won the league and we've all seen the consequences in the years since. We can't allow that to happen again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #38: Jan 18, 2020 01:18:31 pm
      Just leaving this here to spark some further debate on this topic - no views on it either way - please don't abuse me !

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-paid-man-city-1m-16957707

So we've got better hackers than City too! Get the F**k in!! :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39: Jan 18, 2020 01:21:15 pm
      Remember the Klopp out tag team discussion. Different days here now (except maybe in match threads when we're 0-0 after 25 minutes  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: ).

The height of that would of been when Gravy Tits, Benteke and Palace last delivered a defeat to us at Anfield, at that point fans weren't sure whether he was a tactical genius or just a fist-pumping motivator.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #40: Jan 18, 2020 09:49:31 pm
      If we win it early, then there are other targets in the league to go for. Points, unbeaten record etc. And the following year, we want to equal that title record  that we haven't held for 10 years, and then hold it outright the following year. So even though we're looking way down the line, there are still targets to go after.

If we keep up with a substantial lead in the league by March I think we will start to focus a little more attention to the Champions League and FA Cup (assuming we make it to the 5th round of FA Cup and QF of UCL) which could increase the likely-hood of dropping points in the league. The chance for winning a treble does not come often and this would provide a great opportunity given the lead we have in the league. Exciting times for supporters that is for sure.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41: Jan 18, 2020 10:33:19 pm

I cant remember who t was but they suggested that Shane Long was the answer. It still makes my head wobble
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #42: Jan 18, 2020 10:36:24 pm
      I cant remember who t was but they suggested that Shane Long was the answer. It still makes my head wobble

We've always had cranks like that supporting us!

Remember before Rafa was appointed and some fans thought Curbishley or O'Neil was the answer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #43: Jan 18, 2020 10:40:17 pm
      We've always had cranks like that supporting us!

Remember before Rafa was appointed and some fans thought Curbishley or O'Neil was the answer.

their was quite a clamour for O'Neil as I remember. Even now in this year of years some feel it necessary to question everything Jürgen does and when we do have an off day they will be waiting with the claws sharpened .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #44: Jan 18, 2020 10:41:55 pm
      their was quite a clamour for O'Neil as I remember. Even now in this year of years some feel it necessary to question everything Jürgen does and when we do have an off day they will be waiting with the claws sharpened .

Either nerves or some people are just never happy.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #45: Jan 18, 2020 10:46:29 pm
      Remember there being rumours about O'Neill for a good year or two before we eventually got Rafa

At the time he wasn't that bad of a shout considering what he'd done at Leicester & Celtic.

'Curbs' would have been heavy though haha

Quick Reply