Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester United (19/01/20 - 16:30)

Read 18405 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Manchester United (19/01/20 - 16:30)
      Reply #46: Jan 14, 2020 12:06:01 pm
      Yep won 3-1 at Anfield last season and that was the only win against them we've had in 11 Premier League meetings. To be fair to them they were extremely lucky in that game and the 3-1 defeat complimented them massively.

If I remember correctly we completely bossed the game, scoring in the first half and they got an equalizer out of nothing a few minutes later which was down to a rare howler from Alisson. That then gave them something to hold onto and they parked the bus until Shaqiri finally broke the deadlock with about 10 minutes left. 3-1 against United is obviously a good result but I think we could have destroyed them in that game if it wasn't for the lucky equalizer, hopefully we'll be able to properly put them to the sword on Sunday

I really think we'll destroy them on Sunday and next season we should do the same at Old Trafford, time to stop paying them so much respect, they don't deserve it currently.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #47: Jan 14, 2020 12:18:36 pm
      I really think we'll destroy them on Sunday and next season we should do the same at Old Trafford, time to stop paying them so much respect, they don't deserve it currently.

Just get one early on and the floodgates will open I think. There was a 15 minute period against City last week just before HT where their heads completely dropped and they could have conceded 4 or 5.

That was at Old Trafford as well. If we come out of the traps early on the crowd will be baying for blood. I really think we can do to them what we did to Arsenal in 2014
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #48: Jan 14, 2020 01:27:49 pm
      Man!! You've been taking the piss out of me for over 12 months now no more hiding places.  ;D Our record been superb against you lads over recent years but we simply can't get a result against you this time.

I fear a bashing sadly, fortunately I'm having my iPhone, iPad & laptop all under repair on the day of the match so won't be able to take part in any discussions.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Much as I hate to say it you deserve it but let's hope pigs fly and we can sneak away with another draw. Thinking postive when you beat us hoping that's the nail in Ole's coffin with any luck.  ;D

Oink oink Keith, after Sunday there'll be more Grunting from your lot, I can feel a proper pasting coming on,
      Our lads weren't quite at the races V Spuds but they should be back to near their optimum come Sunday,

3-0 Champions Elect, at least!

Glazers won't panic, they have their yes man at the helm,  they won't furnish him with too much dollar, but if another came in they would have to,

OGS is sound mate he's building mediocre mid-table minions so I hope he stays long-term,

Who would you want in if Ole was bagged? Don't  say Poch that's what the media want, and he'd buckle under the pressure anyway!

YNWA

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #49: Jan 14, 2020 04:46:11 pm
      Some comments on the official site from Jürgen this morning about our players returning from injury. Sounds like it might be too soon for Fab and Dejan although they will return to training at some point this week. Matip should be back.

"Klopp is looking to make use of a full week separating the fixtures and is optimistic Joel Matip, Fabinho and Dejan Lovren will be involved in the preparations for the United clash.

'I wait really until they are on the pitch and somebody tells me they are allowed to do the full session,' the boss told Liverpoolfc.com.

'It looks like Joel will be in, it looks like Fabinho will be in maybe a day later, I'm not sure. Dejan, maybe he can be in as well.

'That means a lot and helps massively of course. But we will see how it looks. The week is very important.'"
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #50: Jan 14, 2020 04:56:04 pm
      Hate this one,defo have to watch at home,just in case some gobs***e would say something stupid at the pub.Does anyone consider this a derby seen someone mention it but never was to me?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #51: Jan 14, 2020 05:04:39 pm
      Hate this one,defo have to watch at home,just in case some gobs***e would say something stupid at the pub.Does anyone consider this a derby seen someone mention it but never was to me?

Is the proper definition based on being able to take a bus from one ground to the other?

Need local knowledge on this. Would areas like Warrington or Leigh be divided between the two clubs as Premier League support goes?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #52: Jan 14, 2020 05:09:19 pm
      Yes its seen as a derby. probably the biggest in england, due to both clubs being the most successful, and north west rivals.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #53: Jan 14, 2020 05:19:09 pm
      Would say it's a rivalry not a derby.

We're fairly close to Manchester and some people try and give this romantic tale & link it to the shipping canal being built which allowed Manchester to steal trade from Liverpool but I don't really buy it. Think it's simply just a rivalry between the two most successful teams in the country, similar to El Classico
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #54: Jan 14, 2020 05:26:36 pm
      Is the proper definition based on being able to take a bus from one ground to the other?

Need local knowledge on this. Would areas like Warrington or Leigh be divided between the two clubs as Premier League support goes?

Leigh would definitely be more Utd as I think it falls under the boundary of "greater Manchester", similar to the way we have "Merseyside" which covers the city of Liverpool and then the surrounding areas like Birkenhead, Southport etc

Unsure about Warrington, I think it is closer to Liverpool but they do seem a lot more Mancunian than they do Scouse
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #55: Jan 14, 2020 05:35:54 pm
      I wouldn't get too carried away and overconfident. Any win will do just fine. This lot are best when they are defending deep and playing on the counter with the pace they have in their front three. They are probably more suited to playing away where there is less pressure on them to do something with the ball/retain possession. I think we'll win it 2-1 or 1-0 but it'll be a tight game. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #56: Jan 14, 2020 05:49:33 pm
      Some comments on the official site from Jürgen this morning about our players returning from injury. Sounds like it might be too soon for Fab and Dejan although they will return to training at some point this week. Matip should be back.

"Klopp is looking to make use of a full week separating the fixtures and is optimistic Joel Matip, Fabinho and Dejan Lovren will be involved in the preparations for the United clash.

'I wait really until they are on the pitch and somebody tells me they are allowed to do the full session,' the boss told Liverpoolfc.com.

'It looks like Joel will be in, it looks like Fabinho will be in maybe a day later, I'm not sure. Dejan, maybe he can be in as well.

'That means a lot and helps massively of course. But we will see how it looks. The week is very important.'"

Can’t see either Joel or Dejan taking the CB role off Joe, unless Jürgen rests or god forbid he gets injured, like Joe, both will have to bide their time,
      The lad I want back is Fabinho, I think he is a shoe in every week when totally fit,  then it’s a dilemma which other two make up the midfield,  a idea would be to swap around , Gini, Naby , Ox and Hendo depending on the opposition and venue, and to keep others guessing,(Managers)

We have Minamino in contention also, with Lallana & Shaqiri on the fringes,

Isn’t it great that we can call upon any of those lads knowing that they will run through brick walls for Jürgen, give at least 7/10 performances every time. And yet not one of them ever whinges or moans .

YNWA

WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #57: Jan 14, 2020 06:37:21 pm
      We owe these webbed feet inbreds one from earlier in the season
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #58: Jan 14, 2020 06:37:36 pm
      The game I want to win the most ever. Scumbags and love wiping the smug look off of a bloke I work with (even though that has been gone a while).

Score early put the pressure on and these will crumble.

5-1

They are always lucky so that will be their goal.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,858 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #59: Jan 14, 2020 06:53:18 pm
       :f_whistle:

Oink oink Keith, after Sunday there'll be more Grunting from your lot, I can feel a proper pasting coming on,
      Our lads weren't quite at the races V Spuds but they should be back to near their optimum come Sunday,

3-0 Champions Elect, at least!

Glazers won't panic, they have their yes man at the helm,  they won't furnish him with too much dollar, but if another came in they would have to,

OGS is sound mate he's building mediocre mid-table minions so I hope he stays long-term,

Who would you want in if Ole was bagged? Don't  say Poch that's what the media want, and he'd buckle under the pressure anyway!

YNWA

I have to say Poch as ive been saying it since Mourhino left so not going to change now. He plays the United way and with money can hopefully bring us back with you lads and City. He did a great job at Spurs considering he had no money..

Your forcast not far off the mark, lets just hope you have it the wrong way round...   :f_whistle: ;D
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,652 posts | 1584 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #60: Jan 14, 2020 10:06:25 pm
      In the past i've always been apprehensive about playing these.....not this time, confidence is oozing out of this team and I'm absolutely certain we will give them a severe pasting and put them well and truly in their place.

Like others have said, the team pretty well picks itself, I would have Lallana in and Ox on the bench to bring on IF we need him as I think he's a powehouse off the bench.

The whole world will be watching this game, so let's put on a show and send these packing with their tail between their legs down the East Lancs rd.

Get rid of the January blues and send us even further towards our 19th title.

Come on you mighty REDS.

YNWA
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #61: Jan 14, 2020 10:21:09 pm
      In the past i've always been apprehensive about playing these.....not this time, confidence is oozing out of this team and I'm absolutely certain we will give them a severe pasting and put them well and truly in their place.

Like others have said, the team pretty well picks itself, I would have Lallana in and Ox on the bench to bring on IF we need him as I think he's a powehouse off the bench.

The whole world will be watching this game, so let's put on a show and send these packing with their tail between their legs down the East Lancs rd.

Get rid of the January blues and send us even further towards our 19th title.

Come on you mighty REDS.

YNWA

Love how we're playing Man United and people are almost unanimously calling for Lallana to start.

He was getting a dog's life off some supporters on Twitter etc not too long ago. Don't think he's ever even played 'bad' for us, just had rotten luck due to injury, so it's great to see him getting back in the mix

Hope he can stay fit for the rest of the season, if he can I'm sure he can make a big impact. Contract is up in July too, so could be a massive 5 months for him...
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #62: Jan 14, 2020 10:40:22 pm
      Love how we're playing Man United and people are almost unanimously calling for Lallana to start.

He was getting a dog's life off some supporters on Twitter etc not too long ago. Don't think he's ever even played 'bad' for us, just had rotten luck due to injury, so it's great to see him getting back in the mix

Hope he can stay fit for the rest of the season, if he can I'm sure he can make a big impact. Contract is up in July too, so could be a massive 5 months for him...

Always done a good job in my eyes gives 100% always and can mix it and adjust to different  situations. As you say injuries have had a massive impact first name on Englands team sheet not so long ago
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #63: Jan 14, 2020 10:42:39 pm
      Never over confident against these lot. Always nervous cos they are so F***ing lucky against us.
      Plus we always seem to be over cautious. Let’s unleash the beast and really take it to them.
      Probably be a close game again, but if we do go for it 100.% and give them a real battering, I hope and pray old bacon face is watching 😁
      3:1 the red men !
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #64: Jan 15, 2020 07:03:12 am
      Well at least some good come out of it then.  ;D Let's hope it gets postponed an hour before kick off so you have to go through it all again.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That's actually pretty funny, you Manker!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #65: Jan 15, 2020 09:05:08 am

I don't mind Lallana, and his work rate is unquestionable, but i'm not convinced he has the quality to be a nailed on starter. OK as an impact player later on. He's certainly skilful enough, but always seems a bit slow on decision making when he has the ball, and a bit to lightweight for the middle of the park. I feel he doesn't have an end product to his good work rate often enough. Only my opinion though, and i appreciate what others see in him. I'd prefer Ox or Millie in the middle, with a bit more physical presence. (when fit)
      I'd start with Hendo, Gini and Ox on sunday.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #66: Jan 15, 2020 09:33:45 am

I don't mind Lallana, and his work rate is unquestionable, but i'm not convinced he has the quality to be a nailed on starter. OK as an impact player later on. He's certainly skilful enough, but always seems a bit slow on decision making when he has the ball, and a bit to lightweight for the middle of the park. I feel he doesn't have an end product to his good work rate often enough. Only my opinion though, and i appreciate what others see in him. I'd prefer Ox or Millie in the middle, with a bit more physical presence. (when fit)
      I'd start with Hendo, Gini and Ox on sunday.

Wouldn't have him as a starter myself but it's good that he's back in the frame and it's certainly a different option. Great to have on the bench also as he can play across the midfield as well as fit in further up the pitch if needed
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #67: Jan 15, 2020 10:05:05 am
      Wouldn't have him as a starter myself but it's good that he's back in the frame and it's certainly a different option. Great to have on the bench also as he can play across the midfield as well as fit in further up the pitch if needed

Lallana is a good midfielder and certainly a good option off the bench and in the squad but he's not a starter in my opinion and if he leaves in the summer I won't be to disappointed.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #68: Jan 15, 2020 10:13:14 am
      Lallana is a good midfielder and certainly a good option off the bench and in the squad but he's not a starter in my opinion and if he leaves in the summer I won't be to disappointed.

Apparently his contract expires in the summer so there's a decent chance he will leave. Although if he does well over these next few months I'd be more than happy to offer him a 1yr extension. Always seems a bit of a waste to let a good player leave for free

Quick Reply