Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

AFCON

Read 4528 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      AFCON
      Jan 15, 2020 12:43:31 pm
      Just read looking at doing this in Jan and Feb next year which would mean without Naby, Sadio and Mo for potentially 6 weeks I wonder if this will affect our transfer strategy this summer
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: AFCON
      Reply #1: Jan 15, 2020 01:19:49 pm
      It doesn't seem to be a final decision from what I've read, but the club will probably prepare for it. Egypt don't seem to be doing too well in their group - they've drawn their first two matches and are third on goal difference although there's a way to go yet.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Jan 15, 2020 01:45:36 pm
      Super annoying considering all this moving around of federation championships (same thing happened with Copa America which will be played again this year) so FIFA can line up a summertime World Club Cup since they realize that club football is where it is at. I often wonder as well if AFCON will be going to every 4 years instead of every two years (podcast I listen to mention that it was also in talks).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Jan 15, 2020 02:49:09 pm
      "Hey Boss, just wanted you to know that I'm going to be away from work for about 6 weeks. I've got a big family reunion thing and they get really sore at me if I'm not there. So I won't here to help with any of our production during that time. Thanks for the big paychecks, by the way."

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4: Jan 15, 2020 04:02:24 pm
      Nothing to see here,Mane will be at PSG,Salah in Spain and Keita will be injured! ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      rossyred
      • Started Topic

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #5: Jan 15, 2020 04:10:11 pm
      It doesn't seem to be a final decision from what I've read, but the club will probably prepare for it. Egypt don't seem to be doing too well in their group - they've drawn their first two matches and are third on goal difference although there's a way to go yet.

Think it is final decision and will happen
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #6: Jan 15, 2020 04:11:29 pm
      Think it is final decision and will happen

Then we'll be ready for it, it's still a year away.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: Jan 15, 2020 04:48:18 pm
      Then we'll be ready for it, it's still a year away.

And since transfer targets are scouted well in advance of a year, it could provide a little hitch in things if they didn't see it coming. Either way, there will be some difficult decisions to make.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #8: Jan 15, 2020 05:01:55 pm
      And since transfer targets are scouted well in advance of a year, it could provide a little hitch in things if they didn't see it coming. Either way, there will be some difficult decisions to make.

Of course there will be, I'm confident we'll do our best anyway.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Jan 15, 2020 06:23:40 pm
      Nothing to see here,Mane will be at PSG,Salah in Spain and Keita will be injured! ;D xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

More like most of us will still be pissed celebrating winning the league this year to notice ;)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Jan 15, 2020 07:37:23 pm
      Let’s just get through this season first.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Jan 15, 2020 08:11:52 pm
      I wouldn't be shocked if you see a number of star African players "retire" from international football - then return in about September of 2021 prior to the World Cup.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #12: Jan 15, 2020 08:20:49 pm
      Might now find out if our owners are prepared to spend the money
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13: Jan 15, 2020 08:47:50 pm

Do you ever stop?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #14: Jan 15, 2020 08:49:50 pm

They've been doing pretty well with money looking at our team.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #15: Jan 15, 2020 09:15:24 pm
      They've been doing pretty well with money looking at our team.
      Very well, there’s a clear strategy in Klopp and Edwards recruitment and it’s backed by the owners! People just want them to throw cash left right and centre for the sake of it💤
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jan 15, 2020 10:31:33 pm
      Far from ideal, seems the competition is getting worse and worse.

Bit of luck none of our lads nations will qualify.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #17: Jan 15, 2020 10:34:50 pm
      Far from ideal, seems the competition is getting worse and worse.

Bit of luck none of our lads nations will qualify.

Guinea and Senegal are doing well in qualifying, but Egypt aren't doing too well, they've drawn both of their matches so far and are third in their group.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #18: Jan 16, 2020 04:20:59 pm
      According to SSN this morning it's due to weather conditions in Cameroon when the competition is getting played.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Jan 17, 2020 03:47:10 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/17/Jürgen-klopp-africa-cup-of-nations-move-january-catastrophe-liverpool-mane-salah-keita

Klopp calls the move "a catastrophe" for Liverpool and that it could affect transfer policy (but obviously not impacting Mo, Sadio or Naby).

Groups it with the basically player-abusive calendar with increasing number of and length of competitions. He also has no expectation it will change until enough bad things (like long-term injuries to key players) happen.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2020 03:59:03 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/17/Jürgen-klopp-africa-cup-of-nations-move-january-catastrophe-liverpool-mane-salah-keita

Klopp calls the move "a catastrophe" for Liverpool and that it could affect transfer policy (but obviously not impacting Mo, Sadio or Naby).

Groups it with the basically player-abusive calendar with increasing number of and length of competitions. He also has no expectation it will change until enough bad things (like long-term injuries to key players) happen.

he was scathing of the governing bodies in his pre match today and he said his words mean nothing to them and he is right all they look at is how much money they can make in bribes and back handers. We are going to need 30 man squads at this rate and the summer break will disappear completely. the Golden Goose will eventually stop laying and then the fun will start
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Jan 17, 2020 04:16:17 pm
      he was scathing of the governing bodies in his pre match today and he said his words mean nothing to them and he is right all they look at is how much money they can make in bribes and back handers. We are going to need 30 man squads at this rate and the summer break will disappear completely. the Golden Goose will eventually stop laying and then the fun will start

Here is the entire answer he gave - brilliant stuff. James Pearce says it is the longest answer he's ever given him at a press conference:

"You really want to open this book now? So, I couldn't respect the African Cup of Nations more than I do because I like the competition, I watched it a lot in the past in my life, very interesting tournament, most difficult circumstances a lot of times and the players what they make of it, sensational players.

"It's not the last time you see the players as they turn up in Europe, they turn up everywhere. But it is an obvious problem that you play a tournament in the middle of the season, although it makes more sense for Africa to play it in our winter when the weather is better for them – I get that. The only problem is it's a general problem.

"A couple of things which are not OK: one thing is FIFA plans a tournament in the summer of 2021, a week later the actual African Cup of Nations would have started I think, or maybe two weeks later, another tournament for a lot of world-class players. I mentioned that in the past. I am not sure if that was part of the decision when they thought 'OK, it makes no sense to play it after that tournament, it makes sense to play it in the winter, or was the weather the real [reason]. It means another tournament, it's too many tournaments still. That's one thing. The other thing is it doesn't help African players. We will not sell Sadio, Mo or Naby now because they have a tournament in January and February – of course not – but if you have to make a decision about bringing in a player it is a massive one because before the season you know for four weeks you don't have them.

"That's a normal process and as a club you have to think about these things. It doesn't help the players, for sure. But these decisions are made without asking the players, without asking the managers, without asking anyone. It is just a decision. It is FIFA who should sort all of that as head of all the different associations. It doesn't look like being involved, they are still happy having their 21-team World Cup offering a lot of money, I don't know the exact numbers but it must be a lot of money for all the clubs involved. It means the clubs are like 'Maybe we can play it', they ask the managers and they would say 'No' but they could paid a lot of money. It's a strange situation as we ask for less games and we'd get paid less money but I'm ready to do so, I can say it here. But I don't think it is just one problem for this country: European Championships, world championships, it's like no-one can live without that, it's a natural right to have this but we forget these tournaments are played by players, they don't have a break.

"I feel massively for Harry Kane, I now hear he may not be in the Euros. For the first time some English people in the FA may think 'Oh, too many games maybe'. Something has to happen for them to really start thinking about it. Now they send all these guys in winter again, in the middle of a season to a tournament in different circumstances, and coming back from the African Cup of Nations is not easy to take. But the welfare of the players no-one thinks about. These are really important things. FIFA, UEFA, FAs of all countries have to come together and finally sort that.

"At this moment FIFA decide things without talking to UEFA, UEFA decide things without talking to FIFA making the Champions League bigger and then no-one talks to each other. It is a little bit like in England when the FA says after the fourth or fifth round we are not having a replay and the Carabao Cup says 'As long as they have the replays we don't cancel the second semi-final'. Ask one of the teams involved in the semi-final what they think about the second semi-finals being another game in that period. And after that you win a competition. If you win it's great, if you lose it no-one remembers you were in the final.

"Yes, it's silverware, great, but you pushed the boys and we never think about. Everyone has their own reasons to keep the competition as it is and involve new competitions or more games. That's the problem. In the end it leads to a little problem. The African Cup of Nations going back to January is, for us, a catastrophe. On top of that we have absolutely no power so if we did say 'We don't let him go' the player is suspended.

"How is that possible that the company who pays the player cannot decide that the player has to stay or not. If you would say 'Let's play the African Cup of Nations but the players play in other countries, not in Africa, it still would be a great tournament but not the superstars but the superstars of tomorrow. I don't say that would be a solution for it but it strange we have absolutely no say. If a player is injured and cannot play for us we have to send him to Africa and they have a look and in one or two weeks they are back. We just sit there and plan the route, the flight for the boys, and say 'They you go, have the boys'.

"Nowadays it should not be like this. But I speak here about it and no-one will listen. It is like the biggest waste of time ever. The Moaner from Liverpool or whatever is again on track. As long as nothing changes I will say it all the time. It is because it is about the players, not one second about me. There are so many things to sort but all these guys never find time to sit around one table and make a general schedule. All these different games to play and no break for the players. Let's respect that, but if you have that break don't make a replay in this break. This would help massively."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2020 06:21:34 pm
      Interesting point made by my brother last night. He reckons it's been moved by Fifa so it doesn't clash with that new revamped CWC.

Quick Reply