Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Next season and beyond

Read 3503 times
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 92 posts | 19 
      Next season and beyond
      Jan 18, 2020 06:55:45 pm
      We are on an absolute roll right now but inevitably this team will cycle to an end and new players brought in.....
      As soon as we win the league I think we need to plan for next season and defending it. City are vulnerable right now and there's no guarantee that a new season means they reset and go on another crazy run. And don't even get me started on the rest. If the he club is clever here, we could dominate for five years. Jürgen hasn't spent much money for a while but that's becuase he recruited so well before. However this summer we for sure need to recruit. It's easier to recruit in our position now than it was 5years ago when we were desperate.  I'm saying I (and I think everyone else who loves our club) doesn't want this just to be a moment in time when there's potential for the he club to really kick on and eclipse united and keep city under our thumb. Klopp and his team defo have number 20 and 7 in they're locker but need our owners to continue backing them.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: Next season and beyond
      Reply #1: Jan 18, 2020 07:11:16 pm
      I'm sure the owners and Klopp will do what needs to be done in the summer, they'll probably already be planning for it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,333 posts | 3360 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Jan 18, 2020 07:12:03 pm
      Christ on a bike...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #3: Jan 18, 2020 07:13:21 pm

Yeah how about we win the league and enjoy this team first!!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #4: Jan 18, 2020 07:24:25 pm
      Futures definitely bright. We should have a fair few quid in the cash reserves now after spending next to nothing over the last two windows.

Only real issue for us is losing Sadio & Mo for the AFCON but I'm trusting in the powers that be to have it covered. Even if you look at the Everton game in the league, we had Origi & Shaqiri playing in the front 3 and they linked up fantastically. We've now got Minamino in too, so we should soon find out if he's adequate cover for the front 3

Domestically, City are the only team anywhere near us at the minute & they're still a fair bit behind. They have a big rebuilding job on their hands too. Silva will be leaving in June and  Aguero will be 32 by the time the next season starts. They still haven't replaced Kompany & Fernandinho is well into his 30s, with Rodri seemingly a fair way off the expected level.

Their full backs are nowhere good enough. That Mendy is a pudding and Kyle Walker is regressing at quite the pace (another one who'll be into his 30s by the time next season starts)

Also worth pointing out that Guardiola has never "built" a team wherever he's been. He walked into a Barcelona side which already had a spine of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Valdes & Busquets. Same with Bayern, he walked into a side which had just won the league, domestic cup & European Cup. So I'm very sceptical towards his ability to build any kind of dynasty at City. To be fair, I can't even see him staying at City any longer than another two years.

I think we've got a real opportunity to get a few major honours under our belts during the next 4 or 5 years. Our front 3 are all 27, as is Allison. Van Dijk 28, Robbo 25, Trent 21, Gomez 22. Keita, Fabinho & Ox all yet to turn 27. Basically all of our real key players still have at least 4-5 years left at peak level.

Put it this way, if I was a bluenose, I'd seriously consider investing in a one-way ticket to some far away corner of the earth
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2020 08:10:13 pm by TameImpala »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #5: Jan 18, 2020 09:12:40 pm
      Speaking of the future,

Find a way to get these lads into the ground!

https://twitter.com/spiritofshankly/status/1218589309692993545?s=19
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jan 18, 2020 09:19:06 pm
      Get through this season first shall we. Not looking past the next game, let alone at next season. A lot can change between now and then.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Jan 18, 2020 09:45:26 pm
      One season at a time,in Jürgen Klopp we are in good hands.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,102 posts | 884 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #8: Jan 19, 2020 01:20:00 am
      We havent won it ......yet one game at a time
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #9: Jan 19, 2020 07:32:37 am
      You ever saw him riding it?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Jan 19, 2020 10:17:45 am
      We havent won it ......yet one game at a time

Not sure how long I can keep up this pretence.. ;)

In answer to the original question - looks like AFCON is going to be the most severe issue on the 2020/21 horizon.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,102 posts | 4866 
      Reply #11: Jan 19, 2020 10:29:22 am

Indeed. Can't we live this moment first before worrying about next season?

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #12: Jan 19, 2020 10:33:39 am
      Make sure we win the league, before thinking about next season and beyond. As Jürgen reminds people only the next game matters !
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Jan 19, 2020 02:38:15 pm
      Theres a million and one things still to enjoy from this season and these players so let's concentrate on that instead of what comes next. 

Ffs 30yrs we've waited and some of you want to fast forward to it all being over with!!

Besides this squad has at least another season and a half to go before we think about selling anyone off apart from who want to leave or whose contracts are up.

If theres one thing we (the fans) don't need to worry about nowadays is that we might stand still or get complacent about recruitment.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Jan 19, 2020 02:45:07 pm
      the biggest improvement is in planning ahead seeing the noise from people about the Everton team selection and then watching them play superbly is just a testament to just how professional a club we are now. Its staggering how for nearly two season now we have been incredible but people are still picking holes in every aspect of the club. I am lucky to have seen so much but this is the most enjoyable team to watch I just love them and Jürgen is like a throw back to the Boot room boys him and Shankly would have been great pals.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,946 posts | 1353 
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2020 09:52:13 pm
      Futures definitely bright. We should have a fair few quid in the cash reserves now after spending next to nothing over the last two windows.

Only real issue for us is losing Sadio & Mo for the AFCON but I'm trusting in the powers that be to have it covered. Even if you look at the Everton game in the league, we had Origi & Shaqiri playing in the front 3 and they linked up fantastically. We've now got Minamino in too, so we should soon find out if he's adequate cover for the front 3

Domestically, City are the only team anywhere near us at the minute & they're still a fair bit behind. They have a big rebuilding job on their hands too. Silva will be leaving in June and  Aguero will be 32 by the time the next season starts. They still haven't replaced Kompany & Fernandinho is well into his 30s, with Rodri seemingly a fair way off the expected level.

Their full backs are nowhere good enough. That Mendy is a pudding and Kyle Walker is regressing at quite the pace (another one who'll be into his 30s by the time next season starts)

Also worth pointing out that Guardiola has never "built" a team wherever he's been. He walked into a Barcelona side which already had a spine of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Valdes & Busquets. Same with Bayern, he walked into a side which had just won the league, domestic cup & European Cup. So I'm very sceptical towards his ability to build any kind of dynasty at City. To be fair, I can't even see him staying at City any longer than another two years.

I think we've got a real opportunity to get a few major honours under our belts during the next 4 or 5 years. Our front 3 are all 27, as is Allison. Van Dijk 28, Robbo 25, Trent 21, Gomez 22. Keita, Fabinho & Ox all yet to turn 27. Basically all of our real key players still have at least 4-5 years left at peak level.

Put it this way, if I was a bluenose, I'd seriously consider investing in a one-way ticket to some far away corner of the earth

Brilliant post. The template is important as well as the current squad. Top players will come here over the next 4/5 years and beyond. Chelsea under Mourinho were building a dynasty but Ab Ram screwed it up and now they have lost the plot somewhat.

Success breeds success as long as it's handled the right way. Roy Keane was right when he said we have to dominate for at least 4 years or more to be regarded as one of the greats. And we have such a rich history with so many glories it won't be a forgone conclusion for Klopp to achieve that. It all comes down in the end to buying well and intergrating the new players seamlessly into our family. Klopp has shown he can do that but that will be key. May be with the AFCON will force his hand. But he doesn't like being forced into the market. So much depends on it so he doesn't need that extra bit of pressure.

Interesting time to be a red.I've been lucky enough to see it from the start of Sir Bill. Been a magic ride for me and it's still a way to go.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #16: Jan 20, 2020 09:49:57 am
      Brilliant post. The template is important as well as the current squad. Top players will come here over the next 4/5 years and beyond. Chelsea under Mourinho were building a dynasty but Ab Ram screwed it up and now they have lost the plot somewhat.

Success breeds success as long as it's handled the right way. Roy Keane was right when he said we have to dominate for at least 4 years or more to be regarded as one of the greats. And we have such a rich history with so many glories it won't be a forgone conclusion for Klopp to achieve that. It all comes down in the end to buying well and intergrating the new players seamlessly into our family. Klopp has shown he can do that but that will be key. May be with the AFCON will force his hand. But he doesn't like being forced into the market. So much depends on it so he doesn't need that extra bit of pressure.

Interesting time to be a red.I've been lucky enough to see it from the start of Sir Bill. Been a magic ride for me and it's still a way to go.

Yep, that's it - From what we've seen of Klopp so far he doesn't seem like somebody who would leave the squad to burn out and then completely overhaul it, he's bought players here or there & slowly bedded them into the side - whether that's to do with financial constraints or not I'm unsure, but I think it's the best way to build success.

In terms of the AFCON it may be a case of waiting to see the fixtures in June & then making a decision from there. One thing I will say is that the tournament starts mid-January, so if we do find ourselves in some sort of unexpected injury crisis at the time we will have the opportunity to get somebody in. I know that's maybe not Klopp's style, but it's good to know that there's the option if worst comes to worst

Absolutely fantastic that you've been following since Shankly as well, I'm 26 so I'm sure you will have forgotten more titles than I've ever witnessed! This (touch wood) will be my first one & I'm loving it. Already decided I'm putting the flags up on the balcony when I get home work later today!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Jan 20, 2020 01:10:22 pm
      With this current team/squad we are absolutely fine for the next 5 years, but obviously we will freshen things up as we go, but now we have the luxury of doing it at our own pace, we really are back, ENJOY!!!
      Harrisimo

• 7,946 posts | 1353 
      Reply #18: Jan 20, 2020 01:44:12 pm
      Yep, that's it - From what we've seen of Klopp so far he doesn't seem like somebody who would leave the squad to burn out and then completely overhaul it, he's bought players here or there & slowly bedded them into the side - whether that's to do with financial constraints or not I'm unsure, but I think it's the best way to build success.

In terms of the AFCON it may be a case of waiting to see the fixtures in June & then making a decision from there. One thing I will say is that the tournament starts mid-January, so if we do find ourselves in some sort of unexpected injury crisis at the time we will have the opportunity to get somebody in. I know that's maybe not Klopp's style, but it's good to know that there's the option if worst comes to worst

Absolutely fantastic that you've been following since Shankly as well, I'm 26 so I'm sure you will have forgotten more titles than I've ever witnessed! This (touch wood) will be my first one & I'm loving it. Already decided I'm putting the flags up on the balcony when I get home work later today!

Think Klopp is justifiably concerned about AFCON and has expressed those concerns well in advance. Shows he knows any interuption could knock us off course. Staying on top is high octane stuff, a high wire act. One bad signing made in haste can affect momentum. He has put the template in place but as I said new signings will be key as will moving on players who have served their purpose or who haven't made the required contribution. Ruthless I know but it's the only way to look at it.

Klopp is I believe are far more serious character than he lets on. As well as all this bonhomie he dishes out we can see him snarl on the line if he's not happy and no one is sacrosanct. He's got a gameplan, a template set in place and as long as he doesn't make to many mistakes he'll give us all much more success. Good for everybody including the great City of Liverpool.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #19: Jan 20, 2020 03:45:05 pm
      Theres a million and one things still to enjoy from this season and these players so let's concentrate on that instead of what comes next. 

Ffs 30yrs we've waited and some of you want to fast forward to it all being over with!!

Besides this squad has at least another season and a half to go before we think about selling anyone off apart from who want to leave or whose contracts are up.

If theres one thing we (the fans) don't need to worry about nowadays is that we might stand still or get complacent about recruitment.

Damn, blast from the past. Good to see you posting again Debs!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Harrisimo

• 7,946 posts | 1353 
      Reply #20: Jan 20, 2020 04:33:18 pm
      Next season and beyond...who do we look at. I would look at Jack Grealish..strong attacking player, still young. £55-£60m..

Maybe another striker..
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Jan 20, 2020 04:36:30 pm

All of this, Id even say most of this team\squad has another good 3 seasons in them.

So all just chillax and Enjoy the ride were on.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #22: Jan 20, 2020 04:45:19 pm
      Funny thread

Quick Reply