Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Wolverhampton V Liverpool (23/01/20 - 20:00)

Read 6662 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Wolverhampton V Liverpool (23/01/20 - 20:00)
      Reply #23: Jan 22, 2020 10:46:50 am
      As may others have said, would take 3 points by any means necessary for this one.

Was hoping we'd knock a few past United but this is a much tougher fixture in my opinion, so I'd be extremely happy as long as we just get over the line

I disagree, I think the Utd match was tougher, in large part because of the rivalry and history between us.
      Wolves are a good team but have almost zero squad depth and those players have been run ragged, especially through December and January with hardly any break. If we go high energy then no way will they be able to cope over 90 minutes, plus if we neutralise Adama then that is 75% of the threat gone and with Joe and Virgil we have the speed to match him.

Should be a good game.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #24: Jan 22, 2020 11:10:18 am
      I disagree, I think the Utd match was tougher, in large part because of the rivalry and history between us.
      Wolves are a good team but have almost zero squad depth and those players have been run ragged, especially through December and January with hardly any break. If we go high energy then no way will they be able to cope over 90 minutes, plus if we neutralise Adama then that is 75% of the threat gone and with Joe and Virgil we have the speed to match him.

Should be a good game.

I think this Utd game was different than others. With it being at Anfield, everyone was almost unanimously certain we give them a pasting and I think the players would have been going into the game with their confidence high. Not to forget that Utd had their top scorer and Pogba both sidelined.

Wolves played very well at Anfield and we just about managed to come through with the win, albeit the match came at a time when we had a very packed fixture schedule.

I think Thursday will be a lot harder than Sunday
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #25: Jan 22, 2020 12:07:30 pm
      With a 13 point lead and two games in hand I find myself still sweating.. 🥴

Nervous as F**k.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #26: Jan 22, 2020 01:09:54 pm
      I think this could be tricky, but can see us winning 1-2.

YNWA
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #27: Jan 22, 2020 01:10:14 pm
      I've refrained so far from calling the league, mostly because I couldn't bare to live with some of my Manc mates if things go wrong. But if we can get through the next 3 league games without dropping point Wolves, West Ham, Southampton during a pretty congested month, I may let my guard down a bit, as from then on it starts to become very difficult to predict where we lose so many points.

I tried to predict the most realistic 3 teams we may lose against and 4 draws to make up the points difference. Tomorrow is one of our biggest hurdles. Get passed this your looking at losing to the blueshite, city and Chelsea. Drawing both west ham games, arsenal and palace. That's with city winning every game as well. Other than city and possibly Chelsea, I think this is our most challenging game
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #28: Jan 22, 2020 01:56:36 pm

Nervous as f**k.

You and me both Shabs, I am 100% denying myself the celebration of winning the league - I celebrate every game but just that nothing more!

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: Jan 22, 2020 02:18:11 pm
      Fabinho will be in the team soon enough, but I thing Jürgen will wait for the Cup match on Sunday to give him a start, and then we'll see him back in the lineup going forward.

Klopp's presser this morning, he doesn't sound like Fab will be starting Thursday.

Shaqiri still not in training, same with Milner and Naby Keita.

Matip and Lovren should both be good to go from the start for the Cup match Sunday.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Jan 22, 2020 02:19:22 pm
      One could argue we’ve been more solid without Fabinho as we have kept seven clean ones on the bounce , in fact I’d say he hadn’t been missed , which is more of a credit to the others than a sleight on him .

I think that might be one of those misleading stats though.

There was a stat that showed we won more points without Gerrard than we did when he was in the team.

That said, Fabinho plays the deeper role differently to Henderson, and steps up more quickly than Henderson does, which in turn leaves space to exploit if the opponents win the ball back or he doesn't win it having stepped up.
      I'd also say his awareness and positioning are not quite as good as Hendersons yet.

It's no big deal, he brings plenty to the side and it's all stuff he can learn easily enough.
      When he's fully fit, I'd rather have Fabinho in the deeper role, and Henderson supporting TAA on the right (Gini supporting Robertson on the left). I think it's gives us more options, and allows TAA a bit more freedom to attack.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31: Jan 22, 2020 03:13:40 pm
      Matip and Lovren should both be good to go from the start for the Cup match Sunday.

Would be great to have them back, and give the other 2 lads a rest in the Cup game.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #32: Jan 22, 2020 03:43:47 pm

Nervous as f**k.

You and me both Shabs, I am 100% denying myself the celebration of winning the league - I celebrate every game but just that nothing more!

This is what self destruction in those nearly seasons have done to us. Sometimes we need to acknowledge that we're damn bloody good and are no longer leaking goals like those nearly seasons. There's no longer a tinge of us surrendering three nil leads. That said, let's not be arrogant or cocky. But yes there are good reasons to be more confident. Less nerves and fear.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #33: Jan 22, 2020 03:58:03 pm
      Tricky one this.
      Wolves play some good sh*t.

Still fancy to keep the win run going.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #34: Jan 22, 2020 04:27:19 pm
      I think that might be one of those misleading stats though.

There was a stat that showed we won more points without Gerrard than we did when he was in the team.

That said, Fabinho plays the deeper role differently to Henderson, and steps up more quickly than Henderson does, which in turn leaves space to exploit if the opponents win the ball back or he doesn't win it having stepped up.
      I'd also say his awareness and positioning are not quite as good as Hendersons yet.

It's no big deal, he brings plenty to the side and it's all stuff he can learn easily enough.
      When he's fully fit, I'd rather have Fabinho in the deeper role, and Henderson supporting TAA on the right (Gini supporting Robertson on the left). I think it's gives us more options, and allows TAA a bit more freedom to attack.
      I think it says a lot for the team that he wasn’t missed as much as fans thought he would be , on the clean sheets I think they have more to do with Joe back in partnership with Virgil , think they make a hell of a pair of centre backs , speed and power ,
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #35: Jan 22, 2020 04:37:02 pm

Nervous as f**k.

X2
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #36: Jan 22, 2020 04:37:34 pm
      They are going to want revenge from the Anfield result. We must start taking the chances and put the game to bed early
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #37: Jan 22, 2020 06:12:01 pm
      I think it says a lot for the team that he wasn’t missed as much as fans thought he would be , on the clean sheets I think they have more to do with Joe back in partnership with Virgil , think they make a hell of a pair of centre backs , speed and power ,

Not forgetting Alisson back in goal.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Jan 22, 2020 06:46:36 pm
      Jürgen can get another look at Traore.
      For me he is a guy that could play in a front three.
      More of a traditional winger right now for Wolves, but showed against Citeh last season I think [when he got the 2 goals] that he has pace, power and can deffo finish.
      Maybe doesn't have the quick feet of our lads, but has other attributes.
      Who would've thought Mane would be rated as highly as he is now when we first signed him from Southampton.
      And he end product is better than it was, has shown he can improve.
      Never know ...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #39: Jan 22, 2020 08:44:40 pm
      Get 3 points out of this game and we'll have broken the back of that xmas/jan period superbly.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #40: Jan 22, 2020 11:16:22 pm
      One of the hardest games we’ve got left. We better have our shooting boots on.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #41: Jan 23, 2020 01:15:03 am

Nervous as f**k.

You not the only one Brother. The words keep ringing in my ears, "This is Liverpool, we don't do things the easy way"!!! That's why till it's official, I'm keeping a lid on it!

Get 3 points out of this game and we'll have broken the back of that xmas/jan period superbly.

Spot on mate have said all along 6 games post Christmas were gonna be massive and really tough 5/5 so far, let's make it a clean sweep tomorrow!

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #42: Jan 23, 2020 04:38:46 am
      Dead confident. Wolves have flattered to deceive a little, lately. Winless in their previous five before a burst of life against Southampton got them out of it.

Same team that started against the Mancs and i reckon the front three will be bang on to make up for all of their missed chances lately. A three or four goal margin to the good guys.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #43: Jan 23, 2020 05:17:50 am
      I would start the same XI as we did with Spurs/Manure, Ox has played well enough that we don't need to force Fabinho back who I would expect to come off the bench and then start in the FA Cup on the weekend.

I can understand based on Wolves form the past few games how it could be a easier match but I do think Wolves will get themselves up for this as they have to be looking at 4th being up for grabs given the poor run of form Chelsea has hit. Our defending will be asked questions during this game but if we can take our chances unlike the last couple game we will make things a lot easier on ourselves.

-------------Alisson--------------
      TAA----Gomez-----VvD----Robbo
      ----Ox-------Hendo------Gini---
      --Salah------Firmino------Mane

Subs: Adrian, Matip, Lovren, Fabinho, Lallana, Minamino, Origi
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #44: Jan 23, 2020 06:37:30 am
      Our toughest test in my opinion, if we get over it i think we will finish the season unbeaten.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #45: Jan 23, 2020 06:49:43 am
      I have every faith that OUR REDS will beat Wolves and continue with our winning ways.We will respect Wolves and then go out on the pitch and show them how to play the game.

Quick Reply