Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

Read 43067 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Re: Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #138: Jun 04, 2020 03:37:24 pm
      We can sign Timo this week for £50 million.

That's amazing value for a top young striker in today's market.

Not sure what we're waiting for really.

I'm betting the issue is the optics of how it looks to spend that kind of money all the while dealing with this stupid virus and the economic impacts it has wrought.

Absolutely 50m sounds like a steal (especially considering we'd recoup a bit of that with outgoings this summer) and I almost think the deal has already been done if that's the real price.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #139: Jun 04, 2020 03:50:49 pm
      I'm betting the issue is the optics of how it looks to spend that kind of money all the while dealing with this stupid virus and the economic impacts it has wrought.

Hasn’t stopped PSG paying a similar fee for Icardi. Some clubs will take the cautious approach whilst others will still spend. Given teams have had next to no income for the last few months, it’s understandable teams being cautious.

I get what you mean though.

But regarding Werner, I’d be shocked if the club makes any decision before the season is completed. Yes there is the release fee which expires, but letting it expire is more likely to work in the buying teams favour as they can probably meet somewhere between that fee and the release fee that becomes active in a years time.

Bet Werner is wishing he didn’t sign that extension and he’d have been leaving for free this summer.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,228 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #140: Jun 04, 2020 03:56:23 pm
      Hearing loads of rumours he signdd and press anouncement tonight
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #141: Jun 04, 2020 05:37:23 pm
      Hearing loads of rumours he signdd and press anouncement tonight

Well if you believe the rumours the Chavs have activated his release clause and are offering €10 million a season on a 5 year deal.

If that's true then they are offering higher wages than us so we will have no choice now but to pay the release clause and hope Timo chooses us over them for lower wages at a bigger club.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #142: Jun 04, 2020 05:41:16 pm
      Lots of reports he's agreed to join Chelsea.

If it's true and we've dropped the ball by farting around with the fee I'll be livid.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #143: Jun 04, 2020 05:47:14 pm
      This deal reminds me of the bad ol days in the market.

His fee, for a player of his age and quality is modest really over the course of his contract. We could recoup alot of it in fringe player sales.

He has literally pulled his pants down in public with his willingness to join us. The transfer committee have been quick and decisive in recent years but we seem to be faffing about over this and if he is looking at other options then he has either been told we are looking at other options or he has just grown tired of waiting and is trying to jolt us into action.

The Chelsea stuff could be nonsense but they only have abraham really so I can see it being true.

Seems to be alot of theories on the clause as well ...
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #144: Jun 04, 2020 05:51:44 pm
      Lots of reports he's agreed to join Chelsea.

If it's true and we've dropped the ball by farting around with the fee I'll be livid.

This. We have faffed about for 12 months with this so I fear it's true. Let's wait and see.

As I said above they only have abraham and an ageing girou so I can see it being true :-(

He has made it clear he wanted to come here for a while. Lets wait and see but il be gutted if we've missed out. Feeling is that we didn't want to cough up the cash
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #145: Jun 04, 2020 05:56:55 pm
      This. We have faffed about for 12 months with this so I fear it's true. Let's wait and see.

As I said above they only have abraham and an ageing girou so I can see it being true :-(

He has made it clear he wanted to come here for a while. Lets wait and see but il be gutted if we've missed out

Well if reports are true from a few days back we are his number 1 choice and he will only join another club if we don't make an offer.

So the ball is still in our court. I'll he shocked if we don't bid. I can't think of a better player in the world right now that we could sign for £50 million.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,496 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #146: Jun 04, 2020 06:02:55 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,496 posts | 4839 
      Reply #147: Jun 04, 2020 06:06:28 pm
      It's our fault for protesting and making the club pay the dinner ladies out of their own pockets at the start of lockdown.

"We'll show them"
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #148: Jun 04, 2020 06:06:54 pm
      Well if reports are true from a few days back we are his number 1 choice and he will only join another club if we don't make an offer.

So the ball is still in our court. I'll he shocked if we don't bid. I can't think of a better player in the world right now that we could sign for £50 million.

Could have had haaland for 18m .... but I agree. Werner is the business. Yes the ball is in our court. But if Chelsea have met the 50m price, it's in his court as well. Does he hold out for us, or join the club that's doing everything to get him.

We need to move fast but . I'm not interested in dembele or loan deals.

It we wont pay 50m for Werner you can forget Sancho, haaland and mbappe etc.  Have to hope we can find some cheaper players and Jürgen works his magic with them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #149: Jun 04, 2020 06:10:18 pm
      So Chelsea renew Girouds contract and then go for Werner, whilst having Abraham too. Ok then...

Inclined to believe this is a stunt by the agent to try and force our hand.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #150: Jun 04, 2020 06:12:27 pm
      So Chelsea renew Girouds contract and then go for Werner, whilst having Abraham too. Ok then...

Giroud is past his best. Abraham is young and still learning. If they want to be competitive they need a proven front man. Werner fits that and his fee is modest across a 5 year deal. Makes perfect sense for them in my eyes.

Inclined to believe this is a stunt by the agent to try and force our hand.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #151: Jun 04, 2020 06:18:28 pm
      Could have had haaland for 18m .... but I agree. Werner is the business. Yes the ball is in our court. But if Chelsea have met the 50m price, it's in his court as well. Does he hold out for us, or join the club that's doing everything to get him.

We need to move fast but . I'm not interested in dembele or loan deals.

It we wont pay 50m for Werner you can forget Sancho, haaland and mbappe etc.  Have to hope we can find some cheaper players and Jürgen works his magic with them.

You actually think we're in for Haaland and Mbappe?   :laugh:

No chance.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,496 posts | 4839 
      Reply #152: Jun 04, 2020 06:20:58 pm
      Liverpool double down on Timo Werner stance amid RB Leipzig transfer claims

The league-leaders have been heavily linked with a summer swoop for the Bundesliga star - but they are refusing to meet the €60million asking price for the Germany international

David Maddock
      17:33, 4 JUN 2020

Liverpool have dismissed claims they have an agreement with Timo Werner.

And the Merseyside club has made clear once more, they are not interested in the Germany international at his current asking price of more than £50m.

The Reds have take a clear stance on this summer’s transfer business. With huge fixed costs of all their top players on long term, big money contracts, and with a serious cash flow deficit caused by the Coronavirus crisis, they have little spare transfer cash.

And with most other top clubs across Europe in a similar situation, that will make selling players to raise funds much harder in the coming months.

Whilst rumours still abound linking the Reds to a massive splash in the transfer window, sources at the club laugh at such a possibility.

And that means Werner, who has been a long term target for Liverpool and their manager Jürgen Klopp, is off the radar as things stand - a situation that has been made clear to his club RB Leipzig.

It also means they won’t move unless an agreement - or situation such as a form of loan deal - can be reached which seriously reduces the fee.

The striker’s German club though, have remained steadfast in their insistence that the asking price is the release clause contained in the player’s contract which runs until June 15 - a figure of €60m.

Unless something changes dramatically, that would rule out a deal this summer. If that is the case, the player himself is thought to be ready to run down his contract further, taking himself to under a year left on his deal next summer.

Claims were circulating that the English club had an agreement with the player, but no such accord can be reached until any fee is agreed with a selling club, and Liverpool are still painfully conscious of the furore caused by their pursuit of Virgil van Dijk.

Liverpool too, have made clear they have made no offer for Barcelona ’s young forward Ousmane Dembele.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-double-down-timo-werner-22139857
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #153: Jun 04, 2020 06:30:03 pm

The league-leaders have been heavily linked with a summer swoop for the Bundesliga star - but they are refusing to meet the €60million asking price for the Germany international

David Maddock

And the Merseyside club has made clear once more, they are not interested in the Germany international at his current asking price of more than £50m.

The Reds have take a clear stance on this summer’s transfer business. With huge fixed costs of all their top players on long term, big money contracts, and with a serious cash flow deficit caused by the Coronavirus crisis, they have little spare transfer cash.

And with most other top clubs across Europe in a similar situation, that will make selling players to raise funds much harder in the coming months.

Whilst rumours still abound linking the Reds to a massive splash in the transfer window, sources at the club laugh at such a possibility.

And that means Werner, who has been a long term target for Liverpool and their manager Jürgen Klopp, is off the radar as things stand - a situation that has been made clear to his club RB Leipzig.

It also means they won’t move unless an agreement - or situation such as a form of loan deal - can be reached which seriously reduces the fee.

The striker’s German club though, have remained steadfast in their insistence that the asking price is the release clause contained in the player’s contract which runs until June 15 - a figure of €60m.

Unless something changes dramatically, that would rule out a deal this summer. If that is the case, the player himself is thought to be ready to run down his contract further, taking himself to under a year left on his deal next summer.

Claims were circulating that the English club had an agreement with the player, but no such accord can be reached until any fee is agreed with a selling club, and Liverpool are still painfully conscious of the furore caused by their pursuit of Virgil van Dijk.

Liverpool too, have made clear they have made no offer for Barcelona ’s young forward Ousmane Dembele.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-double-down-timo-werner-22139857

If he ends up at Chelsea and we have another season with no decent attacking talent to rotate tgen I'll be quite bloody annoyed.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #154: Jun 04, 2020 06:36:25 pm
      You actually think we're in for Haaland and Mbappe?   :laugh:

No chance.

Haaland was a bargain at 18m. We almost sold origi for similar.

No I dont think we are in for mbappe. I was just making a general point of if we wont stump up a modest fee by today's standards for a player of Werner's quality all these other much more expensive players we are linked with look even more out of sight. That's all I was saying.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #155: Jun 04, 2020 06:42:49 pm

David Maddock

This sounds like we are saying to Werner ... 'show us how much you want us' hold out, take less in wages than chelsea are offering and tell your club you only want us.

Let's wait and see what happens. But it seems we wont have and out and out back up for Bobby again and Mo and Sadio will have to fill in through the middle with maybe shaq or minamino wide.

I dont want to see origi on the left wing this season ... does all his damage in the 6yard box
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #156: Jun 04, 2020 06:43:59 pm
      Looks like he could be off to Chelsea..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #157: Jun 04, 2020 06:47:05 pm
      If he ends up at Chelsea and we have another season with no decent attacking talent to rotate tgen I'll be quite bloody annoyed.

Ultimately if the club thought he was really worth spending that money on then they’d do it.
      If he ends up at Chelsea then it’s not because we’ve been slow in acting or been beaten to the punch, it’s because we’ve decided he’s not right to bring in at that price.
      Not going to be bothered at all if he ends up there, the club have shown over the last few years that where transfers are concerned, we have little reason to worry.

Last summer there was the thought we’d suffer for a lack of incomings but as it goes, we’ve obliterated the Premier League this season.

Sure it would be nice to sign him but all this Chelsea talk at the moment is meaningless really, we heard it all before with them apparently getting Alisson.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #158: Jun 04, 2020 06:51:04 pm
      Ultimately if the club thought he was really worth spending that money on then they’d do it.
      If he ends up at Chelsea then it’s not because we’ve been slow in acting or been beaten to the punch, it’s because we’ve decided he’s not right to bring in at that price.
      Not going to be bothered at all if he ends up there, the club have shown over the last few years that where transfers are concerned, we have little reason to worry.

Last summer there was the thought we’d suffer for a lack of incomings but as it goes, we’ve obliterated the Premier League this season.

Sure it would be nice to sign him but all this Chelsea talk at the moment is meaningless really, we heard it all before with them apparently getting Alisson.

Very true mate.

But let's see what happens. If we 'stand still' signings wise for another transfer window and city chelsea etc spend ... how that works out for us will only become clear next season.

We need back up for Bobby in my eyes. I'm happy everywhere else. I'd like to see shaq, Wilson and jones given more of a shot next season.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 391 
      Reply #159: Jun 04, 2020 06:51:55 pm
      Arsed.

However if we don’t get anyone in I will be.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #160: Jun 04, 2020 07:00:07 pm
      If it's not for us we'll walk away, if we really want him he'll be ours because no way he chooses Lampard and Chelsea over Klopp and Liverpool.

We walked away from Fekir due to fitness issues and it looks like we're walking away from Werner over the financial side of things. The first situation turned out all right and I've got full faith this will too.

Quick Reply