Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

Read 42490 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Re: Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #322: Jun 06, 2020 07:42:41 pm
      Gutted this transfer is reportedly dead, but at the end of the day I understand

The bottom line is you can't spend money you don't know you'll have or not. ATM all reports suggest big revenue loss for the club which is not the position you want to be in when you open your wallet and spend 60+M on a player.

Some people will be frustrated with this and its understandable, but we have a pretty good squad as is with players like Jones and others like Minamino, Ox, Keita who as cliche as it may sound, will be like new signings if they can stay fit and perform.

It is also not to say that we will have a 0 moves summer. What will be interesting (important) is to know if the other teams around us are in the same situation we are in. Hopefully, everybody is in the same boat and United and City don't go on out about their business as usual.

I just saw a video (I'll link it) explaining how Chelsea's situation is a bit particular considering they have spent the last two seasons spending almost nothing as well as selling Hazard and Morata and offloading a couple of big wage earners like (Willian), which basically makes this move and the Ziyech one possible.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/06/liverpool-facing-between-70m-and-200m-loss-due-to-coronavirus/

EDIT: one point I'd also like to add is that the deeper we get into the transfer window the more you'll see clubs needing to sell in order to not literally collapse. Even with our reduced spending capabilities, this could be a good occasion to get in a few transfers, who knows.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2020 07:48:01 pm by PolarBearRed »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #323: Jun 06, 2020 08:31:02 pm
      Again excuse the sh*t source.

https://mobile.twitter.com/xxx/status/1269328049360834561

https://mobile.twitter.com/xxx/status/1269325740094488577

I know itā€™s easy to pin it all on FSG being tight but this isnā€™t a man who would be saying things like this just to appease the owners, itā€™s because he knows the situation. If we arenā€™t signing Werner or anyone else then Klopp and Edwards are just as much the reason behind that as FSG in my opinion. Also makes a very good point, asking for players to make sacrifices but then spending lots of money to bring in new players, that could cause a lot of unrest.

But for what itā€™s worth, reckon we would have been signing Werner and Havertz if the world hadnā€™t gone mental.

https://mobile.twitter.com/xxx/status/1269325415841255425
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2020 08:39:55 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #324: Jun 06, 2020 08:37:28 pm
      Maybe the league should have put a halt to the transfer window for the next year or two....to allow the market to stabilize. Only allow free agent transfers, otherwise no clubs allowed to spend big money on transfers since it appears that other than maybe Chelsea and City, no other club will be able to spend big money on transfers.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #325: Jun 06, 2020 09:12:58 pm
      Just saying... if the club cannot sell season ticket renewals or allow general sale of tickets then there is a way around this till we get back to normal...

I think a subscription type season tickets could be a way forward... granted there will be a loss on the catering side but certainly the club could earn more via subscription fees...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #326: Jun 06, 2020 09:31:57 pm
      Just saying... if the club cannot sell season ticket renewals or allow general sale of tickets then there is a way around this till we get back to normal...

I think a subscription type season tickets could be a way forward... granted there will be a loss on the catering side but certainly the club could earn more via subscription fees...

Okay they do a subscription service, then have to explain to BT and Sky why the club are broadcasting games when theyā€™ve already taken money from them two companies for the rights to show the games. We start broadcasting the games ourselves through a subscription service and the money the club makes from that would be significantly less than what they get from Sky and BT. Not to mention the fact it would be a breach of contract that you can bet your life Sky and BT would fight us to get their money back.

Then people who are already signed up to LFCTV would argue why should they have to pay another subscription to watch the games.

I donā€™t think you are quite getting all of the implications the state of the world is actually going to have on the club financially because weā€™ve had you suggesting loans and now pissing off two companies that are a massive part of our income.

Signing Werner or anyone else is very unlikely this year.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #327: Jun 06, 2020 09:43:46 pm

Canā€™t do a subscription service when the media rights are owned by the Premier League not the club itself
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #328: Jun 06, 2020 10:11:20 pm
      I wanted us to sign a top quality forward last year mate and had plenty to say about it when we didnā€™t and you had even more to say I recall. In fact you pained a bit of a doomsday picture of what might happen if we hadnā€™t but the plain and simple truth of it is that weā€™re it not fir this bloody virus we would have wrapped up the title in March, would have smashed the 100 point record and would have completed the most dominant league campaign in English football history.

I like Werner, cracking little player but had he been a red this past season how much would he have played? In all honesty not nearly as much as heā€™d have liked is the answer and itā€™ll be the same next season barring injuries. Thereā€™s no need to get hysterical about this one, you got quite hysterical last summer and were proved completely wrong, so was I.

I said last summer we would suffer if two of our forwards were injured at the same time, luckily that didn't happen, let's hope it doesn't happen next season either.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #329: Jun 06, 2020 10:13:32 pm

What?? But it's been reported in all the papers, this is really weird if true.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #330: Jun 06, 2020 10:16:50 pm

Yeah I thought I read about that, virtual season tickets, I'd buy that to be able to view all games, sure plenty others would as well. It would have to go via Premier League TV companies but no reason why it can't be done.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #331: Jun 06, 2020 10:19:57 pm
      Yeah I thought I read about that, virtual season tickets, I'd buy that to be able to view all games, sure plenty others would as well. It would have to go via Premier League TV companies but no reason why it can't be done.

Would cost the club millions
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #332: Jun 06, 2020 10:21:55 pm

Depends on the number of virtual season tickets sold, think Pay Per View, lots and lots of Liverpool fans in the UK and worldwide.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #333: Jun 06, 2020 10:23:12 pm
      Depends on the number of virtual season tickets sold, think Pay Per View, lots and lots of Liverpool fans in the UK and worldwide.

:mad:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #334: Jun 06, 2020 10:29:35 pm
      I said last summer we would suffer if two of our forwards were injured at the same time, luckily that didn't happen, let's hope it doesn't happen next season either.

Iā€™m sure thatā€™s all you said.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #335: Jun 06, 2020 10:59:02 pm
      Quote from Lallana in Pyjamas
      Only one player out of that list would be considered a miss - Sanchez. And they were all under Ayre and Rodgers - world of difference now

Dempsey - they wanted Henderson in a swap , do you really think we missed out ?

Sanchez - he chose London

Salah - Chelsea decided to pay double what we bid , Iā€™m glad because we got a better 3 years later and under Klopp

Konoplyanka- the release clause was met , their owner refused to let him leave

Fekir - serious knee issues

So in reality we arenā€™t ā€œmissingā€ out due to FSG

You wanted a list of targets we missed out on. You got a list. Apparantly, Fekir had knee issues. So how come he played a WC, a full season with Lyon and has since gone on to play another season in La Liga? Methinks FSG just didn't want to pay up, and someone else did. Again.

We'll never know how good the targets who were allowed to go elsewhere would have been. We do know that the only one who we eventually did sign, was seen as a reject before he kicked a ball for us. He then scored 44 goals in his first season for us, got us to a European Cup Final, was the Player Of The Year, and has scored at least 20 league goals every season.

I can't stop people defending owners who thought it was ok to sack Dalglish, abandoned Suarez, and were in charge during 7 seasons with no silverware to show for it. But I'm going to question them when they should be questioned. This year, we were knocked out of 3 cups, because we had to prioritise this competition over that one, because those who came in were not good enough to cope. This was a chance to strengthen the squad, it wasn't taken, and while they're sitting there admiring the new training ground, he's going to score a ton of goals. For someone else.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #336: Jun 06, 2020 11:54:08 pm
      Iā€™m sure thatā€™s all you said.

Well I also said it was idiotic not to get some genuine cover for the forwards, I still stand by that, we got lucky with injuries.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #337: Jun 07, 2020 12:03:30 am
      Well I also said it was idiotic not to get some genuine cover for the forwards, I still stand by that, we got lucky with injuries.

Has the transfer window shut, or did I miss something.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #338: Jun 07, 2020 12:38:26 am

In hindsight it really wasnā€™t idiotic though was it? Thatā€™s the truth of it. 30 year wait fir the title about to end. And I can see another 6 weeks if you banging the same drum again now repeating exactly the same thing again.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #339: Jun 07, 2020 06:58:57 am
      You wanted a list of targets we missed out on. You got a list. Apparantly, Fekir had knee issues. So how come he played a WC, a full season with Lyon and has since gone on to play another season in La Liga? Methinks FSG just didn't want to pay up, and someone else did. Again.

You made out as if we were missing these key crucial targets that were having a huge affect on us when the truth is missing out on them
      Was irrelevant- good choice after all

As for Fekir - the club didnā€™t want to pay the Ā£60mil , again their choice hasnā€™t been proven wrong has it

We'll never know how good the targets who were allowed to go elsewhere would have been. We do know that the only one who we eventually did sign, was seen as a reject before he kicked a ball for us. He then scored 44 goals in his first season for us, got us to a European Cup Final, was the Player Of The Year, and has scored at least 20 league goals every season.

So what we can see is their transfer policy is spot on then , when the club really wants someone they go and get him even it means increasing the fee - good to see you recognise how good they have become

I can't stop people defending owners who thought it was ok to sack Dalglish, abandoned Suarez, and were in charge during 7 seasons with no silverware to show for it. But I'm going to question them when they should be questioned.

Sacked Kenny - sorry but it wasnā€™t working out with him back as manager , the mistake there was giving him the role permanently but clearly Kenny holds no grudges

Suarez - sorry how did they abandon Suarez ? This is the same Suarez that disgraced the name of the club three times due to biting and using racist slurs.

7 years - do you even bother to look into it ? The owners new to the sport put the club in the hands of people to run the football side and commercial side , the commercial side has gone from strength to strength - the football side for 6 years had ups and downs , Cup win , nearly misses in others , back into CL then , Comolli then Ayre until Edwards arrived and also Klopp -

for the last 5 years Klopp and Edwards have systematically taken the team apart and rebuilt whilst also improving the team year upon year To the point we are now one of the best in Europe , we have gone 30 years without a league and you want to cry about 7

This year, we were knocked out of 3 cups, because we had to prioritise this competition over that one, because those who came in were not good enough to cope. This was a chance to strengthen the squad, it wasn't taken, and while they're sitting there admiring the new training ground, he's going to score a ton of goals. For someone else.

Klopp has always prioritised the CL and League over the domestic cups

We got to the 5th round of the FA Cup whilst fielding a talented youth team then faced a full strength Chelsea side

The EFL Cup was the same time as the Club World Cup

A mistake knocked us out of the CL nothing to do with strength in depth

Do you even understand the model of the club ? Do you understand that from day 1 the owners said the club would stand on its own two feet and be self sufficient- people like sit there playing computer games and thinking itā€™s real life- they see that City can have Ā£200mil players on the bench and demand that we have the same

We are about to romp to our first title in 30 years destroying the league and wet wipes like you want to cry and point fingers at cups we didnā€™t win and a player who hasnā€™t even been bought by anyone yet and a transfer window that hasnā€™t even shut yet.

And even if we donā€™t sign anyone that doesnā€™t mean the owners are not backing the manager and it doesnā€™t mean we donā€™t improve and go again next season

Itā€™s beyond pathetic the childish nature and demands of the modern internet fan
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #340: Jun 07, 2020 10:35:29 am
      In hindsight it really wasnā€™t idiotic though was it? Thatā€™s the truth of it. 30 year wait fir the title about to end. And I can see another 6 weeks if you banging the same drum again now repeating exactly the same thing again.

No I still think it was an idiotic risk, if two of our forwards had been injured at the same time then we would not have been 25 points ahead. It's not quite as bad now as we have Minamino and even Elliott to compliment Origi but I'd still prefer to have someone like Werner.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #341: Jun 07, 2020 12:15:15 pm
      Itā€™s beyond pathetic the childish nature and demands of the modern internet fan

Ah yes. Seeing how Hugo Lloris made it to the Ballon dā€™Or top 25 last year, it would make absolute sense to have him as our backup keeper with Stegen as our third choice.

They lack ambition by not joining us. We could keep them happy by rotating them. Each play a game every three matches. Does it work that way? If that happens, Liverpool would have 9 of the top 28 Ballon dā€™Or nominees last year. Impressive.

I feel much more secure as fan. So much for my own insecurities. :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #342: Jun 07, 2020 12:21:30 pm

How often to teams lose their best player for months on end because of injury? Itā€™s not that common
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #343: Jun 07, 2020 12:48:46 pm
      Wonder how much the Nike deal brings in?
      I believe but not 100% that we receive about 20 million per year and 20% of sales of our merchandise. Quite a unique deal, but hey we are a unique club :f_whistle:
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #344: Jun 07, 2020 12:50:01 pm
      Let's hope that some funds are made available to strengthen a squad that will be decimated next season when the Africa cup gets under way.
      Don't anyone hold their breathe.
      I believe the afcon is postponed for a year.

Quick Reply