Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban

Read 32888 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban
      Reply #299: Jul 14, 2020 11:19:36 pm
      I do wonder what FSG are thinking right now about all this. Their whole model is built on FFP being enforced but it clearly won't be anymore. It was the 'too late' bollocks this time and no doubt it'll be some other bollocks when one of Europe's best teams break the rules again in the future.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see the club change hands in the next few years.

Absolutely no idea what will happen, don't think FFP is going away anytime soon.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #300: Jul 14, 2020 11:28:27 pm
      Absolutely no idea what will happen, don't think FFP is going away anytime soon.
      The amount of loopholes in it is it really even there ?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #301: Jul 15, 2020 07:44:13 am
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4977 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #302: Jul 15, 2020 07:56:35 am
      Pep went on the defensive today, taking shots at several clubs and different people. If there is nothing to hide then why comment, just move on and don't try and justify the club.

What they are failing to recognise though is that they haven't actually said City didn't breach the FFP, the issue is that it wasn't investigated until it was too late. Unless I'm wrong.
      If this is the case then that's probably why Pep went full on defensive today, because they haven't actually been cleared of wrong doing, instead it was a poorly executed and put together case by UEFA, outside of the time frame.

Jose nailed it when he commented; "if Man City is not guilty of it then you are not punished with 10 million. It's a disgraceful decision,"

They've gotten away with it because UEFA were too slow.

You can bet your bottom dollar though that UEFA were deliberately slow, but very fast accepting hand outs from the camel jockeys, why is there a time limit in the first place ?

If UEFA found them guilty, which they did, then why does it matter how long any investigation would take, their guilty simple as, if I were to go and murder some sick paedo b***ard, and the cops took 3 years to bring  the case to trial, it wouldn’t get chucked out because some lazy b***ard copper couldn’t be arsed to do the leg work,

Maureen is spot on, if their not guilty why fine them, 7KK7 is spot on too, regarding Pep, you should say nothing, by commenting it only attracts further suspicion that he knows more than he cares to admit,

And of course our Jürgen, he fears the decision opens the doors for a elite league of mega rich football franchises(my words not his), his F1 analogy is a perfect example of what to expect,  for me it’s yet another nail in the coffin of football, I got to be honest I’m getting sick of this old charade,

It sickens me seeing clubs go to the wall, like Bury, good old fashioned clubs & their communities dying because of greed, there are other reasons why this happens but with FFP, it kind of or should put a kind of lid on things and keep the financial gap between elite clubs and the Bury’s of this world to a minimum, that lid has been removed by that disgraceful decision, that gap now will grow wider and we will see more club’s and their communities disappear.

It’s like having Thatcher in charge of the miners welfare fund, nothing trickles down to those at the coal face, the ones who need it most.

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #303: Jul 15, 2020 11:02:49 am
      Just for some clarification, the fine was for them obstructing the investigation which CAS for some odd reason didn't see as a big issue, going contrary to common law where obstructing or perverting the course of justice is a VERY serious offence. CAS found that the way City fund the club is within FFP regulations, plus the other incriminating evidence was to long ago, more than 5 years!!!  Why there is a limitation of 5 years is baffling, is that actually written into the FFP guidelines, if so why because again this is NOT common law?

I think what will happen is that UEFA will need to tighten up or rewrite FFP, but that will give the petro dollar clubs free reign for at least one window to go absolutely mental in the market.

What I also know is that the war between UEFA and the petro dollar clubs is far from over, they have lost one battle but there's a long way to go and they hold all the cards, they just need to deal themselves a better hand.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #304: Jul 15, 2020 01:21:09 pm
      Just for some clarification, the fine was for them obstructing the investigation

If you have nothing to hide then you have no reason to try and obstruct an investigation.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #305: Jul 15, 2020 01:23:21 pm
      If you have nothing to hide then you have no reason to try and obstruct an investigation.

The only caveat would be if you are being continually being hounded by vexatious allegations and investigations, but that's not the case here.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #306: Jul 15, 2020 01:38:20 pm

Funny how they've been fined for obstructing an investigation, and then one of the reasons they got off was due to some of their breaches being "time barred".

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they were unwilling to cooperate for that very reason
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #307: Jul 15, 2020 01:40:21 pm
      Funny how they've been fined for obstructing an investigation, and then one of the reasons they got off was due to some of their breaches being "time barred".

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they were unwilling to cooperate for that very reason

Bet CAS haven’t even considered the reason as to why they were obstructing it.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #308: Jul 17, 2020 03:38:24 pm
      Quote from WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      The amount of loopholes in it is it really even there ?

It is there, it's the second time they've been investigated for FFP, and the second time they've been found guilty. It won't be the last, as they never learn.

While the punishment in this case is laughably lenient, it doesn't mean everyone else now has carte blanche to throw away the chequebook. The fine is a lot of money to most football clubs around the world. Certainly those clubs in less lucrative leagues cannot afford to chuck that amount of money away, for carelessly breaking the rules.

The man who is 20 points behind us is now on his soapbox demanding apologies. The reality is the same rules still apply to City as everyone else, and they should take the verdict as a second warning that they cannot break the rules. The FA and UEFA will be still observing what they're up to. They were not exonerated, they got away with it on a technicality this time, they may not be quite so lucky the next time.

Just be proud of the fact that everyone at this club from Klopp to Kelleher, is here to win as many trophies and titles as possible. Nobody really cares how many League Cups or FA Cups City win, few care much about their league titles either. Every player at City is simply there to win a trophy we have 6 of, in our trophy cabinet. One of them has already felt he can win it somewhere else and left. The rest still there will abandon ship when they get bored of only winning the domestic cups every season, which is all they'll have to show for it soon enough.

Quick Reply