Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban

Read 32545 times
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Re: Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban
      Reply #69: Feb 15, 2020 02:14:58 pm
      So the way it stands at the moment with this ban is city win the carabao cup teams in 6th and 7th will be in europa league and if city or others in the top 5 win the FA cup, team in 8th will also be in the europa cup.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #70: Feb 15, 2020 02:29:03 pm
      They have left wriggle room for the Court of Arbitration of Sport...aka..CAS. As City have appealed so Uefa won't explain or give full disclosure of the punishment untill the appeal process is over. The Premier League will also defer untill the CAS has ruled on the appeal.

Think it hinges on exaggeration of fee's from sponsorship deals or whatever but City must've known they were sailing close to the wind as they were already fined in 2014 for more or less the same misdemeanor.

Think the ban will be reduced to 1 year and the Premier League will bottle it and issue some bullsh*t suspended points cop out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #71: Feb 15, 2020 02:48:16 pm
      Like this season couldn't get any better! :lmao:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #72: Feb 15, 2020 02:57:47 pm
      I wouldn’t want the title, they won that fair & square to be honest, we gave it our best that season & the disappointment of loosing by 1 point has taken us to the level we have this season..It’s how we do it.

Didn't win it fair and square, played by a different set of rules in assembling their squad.

But I wouldn't want the title either. Probably nothing will happen with past titles, but if anything you might see the title "vacated" which in the end doesn't really mean anything. But agreed, would not want to see us retroactively awarded the title.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #73: Feb 15, 2020 03:00:53 pm
      Now their fans are getting excited about this excuse / theory put together by one of their faithful...

https://boltfromtheblue.live/2020/02/15/manxit-uefas-huge-gamble-to-drop-the-atomic-bomb/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Basically, the whole charge is nonsense, and UEFA are just faking a charge to pretend that they are trying to act, whilst knowing that Man City will win the case... oh, and UEFA are scared of Man City's owners so.. all is well.  :roll:
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #74: Feb 15, 2020 03:02:42 pm
      Was talking about this with 2 city lads down the pub.
      Known them both for years, and they reckon they could get last seasons title taken off them and handed to us.

All hypothetical of course, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

2019/20 season special.. win one PL title. Get one free.  :lmao:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #75: Feb 15, 2020 03:03:20 pm
      There's 2 sets of "fans" at City, according to a mate of mine who's been going to matches for about 50 years.

You've got the older ones, who've been following the club for years and years, who weren't too happy about the moneybags approach, and knew something was going to happen sooner or later. (The bubble's going to burst at some point was how it was put to me)

Then you've got the newer lot who are entitled arseholes, and just jumped on the bandwagon when City started becoming high profile.
      Apparently, very few of them go to matches (explains a lot), but they expect to win everything by virtue of chucking money at it, and never stop moaning when things don't go their way.

I've known quite a few of the older City lads over the years, and they're decent, not really given to dick swinging and all the rest of the sh*t you see from the newer lot.
      It's not just a generational divide; the new lot don't know anything of the club or it's history, they just want to be seen supporting a team that's winning.

So I feel for the older lads; they're seeing their club dragged through the mud, and the utterly embarrasing bullshit the new lot are coming out with.

Lot of those newcomers for us over here in the past year or two as well, don't know who Martin Skrtel is, let alone who Ronnie Moran was.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #76: Feb 15, 2020 03:05:57 pm
      UEFA have made a lot of goody bags out of Man City. They are their gift that keeps on giving, and I think when the dust settles City will end up paying UEFA a bigger fee to buy their way out of the ban.

The blue moon forum is very funny, they dont seem to want to understand that their clubs success is built on corrupt notion of sports washing the Abu Dhabi states image in the west. What the Sheikhs are doing over here is very little to do with football and has given them an unfair advantage over every other team.

And still no European Cup that they crave for full exposure.

Dont like to see this in the kop section though, nothing to do with us.

When I started the thread I didn't really expect this decision from UEFA - still don't fully believe it will actually happen. But as they are our main competition it seemed legit. No problem here if you choose to move it though - I know there is a Man City thread on the UK football board as well.

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #77: Feb 15, 2020 03:21:56 pm
      There's 2 sets of "fans" at City, according to a mate of mine who's been going to matches for about 50 years.

You've got the older ones, who've been following the club for years and years, who weren't too happy about the moneybags approach, and knew something was going to happen sooner or later. (The bubble's going to burst at some point was how it was put to me)

Then you've got the newer lot who are entitled arseholes, and just jumped on the bandwagon when City started becoming high profile.
      Apparently, very few of them go to matches (explains a lot), but they expect to win everything by virtue of chucking money at it, and never stop moaning when things don't go their way.

I've known quite a few of the older City lads over the years, and they're decent, not really given to dick swinging and all the rest of the sh*t you see from the newer lot.
      It's not just a generational divide; the new lot don't know anything of the club or it's history, they just want to be seen supporting a team that's winning.

So I feel for the older lads; they're seeing their club dragged through the mud, and the utterly embarrasing bullshit the new lot are coming out with.

Some of the proper city fans are sound.

They've seen a lot of sh*te down the years so nothing really phases them & they don't fall into constant meltdowns like the new lot (most aren't even arsed about this CL ban - makes sense when they've spent decades watching their teams in the lower leagues, two years out of Europe will be a piece of piss)

The newer, twitter/internet breed are freaks though. But I think every big club has them - We certainly have a fair few
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #78: Feb 15, 2020 03:44:12 pm
      Was talking about this with 2 city lads down the pub.
      Known them both for years, and they reckon they could get last seasons title taken off them and handed to us.

All hypothetical of course, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

It’s for the period of 2012-2016 though isn’t it? So I’d be surprised if they were stripped of last seasons title.

Regarding the League 2 talk. It makes perfect sense because they’ve provided falsified documents in order to gain their license. They aren’t too big of a club to be demoted, after all Juve got demoted to Serie B and Rangers got put down to the bottom division so this should be no different.

I can’t see it happening but it technically should.

AC Milan were only given a one year ban but I expect that was on the back of them cooperating and not releasing a poorly thought out statement slating UEFA.

Teams get points deducted for having no money in the lower divisions, despite their best efforts to stable things, why should the same not apply to a Premier League team trying to cheat their finances...
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #79: Feb 15, 2020 03:46:59 pm
      Lot of those newcomers for us over here in the past year or two as well, don't know who Martin Skrtel is, let alone who Ronnie Moran was.

True and probs for discusion elsewhere but it's something we need to keep an eye on,the got a new shirt,don't care about any other aspect of the club,consume the product.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #80: Feb 15, 2020 03:50:44 pm
      I really would like them to suffer so much not to survive this and get back to their own genuine status.

sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #81: Feb 15, 2020 04:12:31 pm

Its a strange one,if they have last seasons title taken off them,for cheating,then rightly so,we should be handed it.It wouldn't feel as good,as they crossed the line in first place.I remember Carl lewis finishing 2nd to Ben johnson,in the mens 100m final, who was then stripped of his gold medal,for doping,ok Lewis got the gold medal,but not the same feeling as crossing the line in first place,as for City,couldn't give a f**k,what goes around comes around,and if the ban is upheld,players/manager leaving,all that's gonna do is make our job a little easier,to land even more trophies :))
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #82: Feb 15, 2020 04:13:06 pm
      It’s for the period of 2012-2016 though isn’t it? So I’d be surprised if they were stripped of last seasons title.

My bad, missed a bit out.
      The 2 lads are expecting another investigation, for the years after this one.

No idea if it is or not, but I guess we'll see.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #83: Feb 15, 2020 04:18:17 pm
      Some of the proper city fans are sound.

They've seen a lot of sh*te down the years so nothing really phases them & they don't fall into constant meltdowns like the new lot (most aren't even arsed about this CL ban - makes sense when they've spent decades watching their teams in the lower leagues, two years out of Europe will be a piece of piss)

The newer, twitter/internet breed are freaks though. But I think every big club has them - We certainly have a fair few

Yeah, these lads go back to the days of Joe Mercer, and they've pretty much seen it all and stayed with them through thick and thin.
      They'd rather the club was still at Maine Rd, because they loved the Kippax.
      They're right as well; Maine Road F***ing buzzed when it was full, and they reckon they never had a problem selling out for matches.

I know things changing is the natural order, but I honestly feel bad for these lads when they talk about how the new owners have basically hijacked and ruined the club for their own gratification.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #84: Feb 15, 2020 04:29:40 pm

Do you mean on the forum? As long as new members are true fans then what's the problem?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #85: Feb 15, 2020 04:33:43 pm
      My bad, missed a bit out.
      The 2 lads are expecting another investigation, for the years after this one.

No idea if it is or not, but I guess we'll see.

I don’t think it would come as any surprise if there was another.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #86: Feb 15, 2020 04:41:07 pm
      Beating the "money bags" cheats  by some margin, makes winning the title all the more sweeter, in my view.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #87: Feb 15, 2020 04:49:28 pm
      Yeah, these lads go back to the days of Joe Mercer, and they've pretty much seen it all and stayed with them through thick and thin.
      They'd rather the club was still at Maine Rd, because they loved the Kippax.
      They're right as well; Maine Road f**king buzzed when it was full, and they reckon they never had a problem selling out for matches.

I know things changing is the natural order, but I honestly feel bad for these lads when they talk about how the new owners have basically hijacked and ruined the club for their own gratification.

Does that speak well to our current owners and attention paid to progressing while maintaining club tradition?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #88: Feb 15, 2020 09:30:13 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/15/manchester-city-disrespect-uefa-misinformation-sweeping-allegations

Strong piece here showing how unrealistic and desperate City's official statement and posture re their appeal truly are. A lot of detail if you want to read but a good closing statement goes like this:

"The two-stage chambers manned by semi-independent appointees is designed to avoid as far as possible an organisation being the prosecutor, judge and jury that City claim to be the case. The adjudicatory chamber, which heard the charges when they were made by Leterme’s investigatory chamber, is chaired by José Narciso da Cunha Rodrigues, a former general prosecutor in Portugal. After hearings last month, he reached the finding that City were guilty, as did the chamber’s other members: Christiaan Timmermans, a Dutch law professor; Louis Peila, a very experienced Swiss judge; Adam Giersz, a former Polish sports minister; and the English barrister Charles Flint QC. He is president of the UK’s National Anti-Doping Panel and trusted enough in Abu Dhabi’s neighbouring emirate of Dubai to be a director of its financial services authority.

So City’s reaction to the considered conclusion of these distinguished European professionals was to allege that all were biased, and reached a prejudged conclusion signalled by Leterme.

City will go furiously to the court of arbitration for sport, where they say three other European judges will see what those serving the Uefa panels were unwilling to: that contrary to the meaning of their own emails, Sheikh Mansour was not subsidising a significant portion of the Etihad sponsorship.

Due process means they have the right to make their case at Cas, and both City and Uefa must accept the result. In the meantime, City might consider the tone and scale of the allegations they are making, in a time of already undermined trust in Brexit Britain for great European institutions."
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #89: Feb 15, 2020 10:57:44 pm
      Like this season couldn't get any better! :lmao:

Post of the Year so far!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #90: Feb 15, 2020 11:03:47 pm
      Does that speak well to our current owners and attention paid to progressing while maintaining club tradition?

Me thinks City doth protest too much. Some people think that immense wealth means they can pick and choose which rules they obey and which they ignore. My only other comment would be PSG no way can they produce revenue to sustain their spending in the French league
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #91: Feb 16, 2020 01:23:56 am
      Curtains for this lot...

Quick Reply