Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban

Read 32494 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban
      Reply #161: Feb 19, 2020 02:47:42 pm

Yeah, they've made it now so it's almost impossible for UEFA or the FA to do nothing. Not just with their cheating, but they way they've handled things publicly...it's almost as if they had a meeting and said "Right. What would really be cool is to undergo disciplinary action from the likes of UEFA and the FA. How can we make sure we get fines, bans and point deductions? Who has the plan?"

Fine with me.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #162: Feb 19, 2020 05:38:27 pm
      Yeah, they've made it now so it's almost impossible for UEFA or the FA to do nothing. Not just with their cheating, but they way they've handled things publicly...it's almost as if they had a meeting and said "Right. What would really be cool is to undergo disciplinary action from the likes of UEFA and the FA. How can we make sure we get fines, bans and point deductions? Who has the plan?"

Fine with me.

Surely gotta go down as the most cack handed mismanagement of a Football club since the Leeds United debarkle. Loaded up the books with phoney sponsorship deals to camelflage bankrolling the club. Total screw up. CAS should increase the ban to 3 years if any more shenanigans come to light. If any semblance of fairness or for UEFA to have any teeth the 2 year ban should be at least upheld.

They rode roughshod over the integrity of the game with breathtaking arrogance...throw the bleedin' book at them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #163: Feb 19, 2020 10:58:33 pm
      Quote from JD

There will have to be some form of ban, even if its reduced for one season, otherwise UEFA's FFP may as well be scrapped.

UEFA have done their job and applied a  punishment that sends out a strong statement. What happens beyond that, is out of their hands to an extent.

Quote from Harrisimo
      Well they have changed the QC because City will finish in the top 4 and unless CAS overturn the UEFA decision, then a team OUTSIDE the top 4 will take City's place. On the other point you made in saying teams needed to know the score so they can plan ahead,well UEFA's decisions aren't made quicker to help other teams. May be for the sake of expediency but not to give any club any help.

It's not to help teams, but it's their competition, and they need to know what teams will participate before it starts. The draw for the 1st qualifying round is just a couple of weeks after Istanbul. Personally, I think it will be decided in April. But they can't afford to wait until May 18 to announce their decision in case it upsets Burnley or someone in the chasing pack.

The criteria has not changed. If the sanction is upheld, it's a straightforward process of just replacing one team name with the next in line.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #164: Feb 20, 2020 01:43:19 pm
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #165: Feb 21, 2020 11:39:02 pm
      FUCCKKK OFF MANCITY, YOU AINT GOT NO HISTORY..

6 EUROPEAN CUPS & (19) LEAGUES

THATS WHAT WE CALL HISTORY!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #166: Feb 22, 2020 06:57:01 am
      FUCCKKK OFF MANCITY, YOU AINT GOT NO HISTORY..

6 EUROPEAN CUPS & (19) LEAGUES

THATS WHAT WE CALL HISTORY!

And we are not finished yet.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #167: Feb 22, 2020 10:45:41 am
      whilst thinking relegation would also be appropriate given other team punishments I just have this little voice in my head saying Uefa is Corrupt and somehow City like PSG can buy there way out of this . If they do UEFA is surely finished.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #168: Feb 22, 2020 10:47:34 am
      whilst thinking relegation would also be appropriate given other team punishments I just have this little voice in my head saying Uefa is Corrupt and somehow City like PSG can buy there way out of this . If they do UEFA is surely finished.

If Uefa was corrupt why did they hand out a 2-year ban and £25 million fine???

Do you mean that CAS is corrupt?

Both will be under a microscope here, so I very much doubt they will be soft on Citeh, I think the punishment will stand, otherwise FFP might as well be abolished.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #169: Feb 22, 2020 12:32:15 pm
      If Uefa was corrupt why did they hand out a 2-year ban and £25 million fine???

Do you mean that CAS is corrupt?

Both will be under a microscope here, so I very much doubt they will be soft on Citeh, I think the punishment will stand, otherwise FFP might as well be abolished.

They can hardly back down now but it's gone to CAS and UEFA have I think purposely given CAS wriggle room. It could end up being the ban reduced to 1 season or if City do prove that they have only committed a minor transgression of the FFP rules it could be the CAS will suspend the ban untill City have complied with the rules over the next 3 year qualifying period.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #170: Feb 22, 2020 12:50:40 pm
      City could well cite PSG's case and claim their sponsorship contracts are much the same as PSG

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/sports/psg-uefa-ffp.html

Integrity is in short supply.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #171: Feb 22, 2020 01:38:23 pm
      City could well cite PSG's case and claim their sponsorship contracts are much the same as PSG

exactly never underestimate the arrogance and power of the super rich.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #172: Feb 22, 2020 02:37:45 pm

So two wrongs do make a right and you can falsify records and block investigations. If this penalty gets reduced then all credibility of the governing bodies vanishes, it will be a free for all.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #173: Feb 22, 2020 03:22:34 pm
      exactly never underestimate the arrogance and power of the super rich.

And too many people/clubs are making too much money for them to hold uefa accountable, certainly not a given that city will be punished.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #174: Feb 22, 2020 08:19:05 pm
      sterling could be first to jump ship..to Ray-alll.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #175: Feb 22, 2020 09:50:32 pm
      Is this really happening?, These clubs seem to avoid it somehow. I will suprised if they get banned
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #176: Feb 22, 2020 10:22:08 pm
      And too many people/clubs are making too much money for them to hold uefa accountable, certainly not a given that city will be punished.

PSG ended up  paying a fine so I don't think the punishment is nailed on we all hope it is but wait and see how they F**k it up
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #177: Feb 22, 2020 10:29:13 pm
      PSG ended up  paying a fine so I don't think the punishment is nailed on we all hope it is but wait and see how they F**k it up

Were they ever banned before the ban was reduced to a fine, though?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #178: Feb 22, 2020 10:45:40 pm
      Were they ever banned before the ban was reduced to a fine, though?

I think they were but not 100% sure but they bought Neymar and Mbappe for close to £400mil and where they get their revenue of £650 mil is anyones guess
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #179: Feb 22, 2020 11:59:43 pm
      I think they were but not 100% sure but they bought Neymar and Mbappe for close to £400mil and where they get their revenue of £650 mil is anyones guess

Maybe wrong, but I seem to remember that thar Neymar buy money came because he got hired as an "ambassador" of the World Cup in Qatar.

Might be bollocks but I remember reading that somewhere.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #180: Feb 23, 2020 06:33:27 am
      The Mirror is implying that City is trying to pull down us with them because of some breach of their scouting that we both agreed to compensate for it.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #181: Feb 23, 2020 09:04:18 am
      Reading between the lines the implication is that the people who hacked into their scouting system must have fed the method to the Portuguese hacker who got into their financial system because their computers were so secure.
      As far as I recall though didn’t the scouts simply use a password that hadn’t been deactivated?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #182: Feb 23, 2020 10:52:01 am
      The Mirror is implying that City is trying to pull down us with them because of some breach of their scouting that we both agreed to compensate for it.

They can imply that all they want, it was settled between us and City and there is no way they can use it against us.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #183: Feb 23, 2020 11:07:34 am
      They can imply that all they want, it was settled between us and City and there is no way they can use it against us.

We have settled it so if there is no new evidence, we're fine.

Quick Reply