Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban

Read 32506 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban
      Reply #184: Feb 23, 2020 11:09:32 am
      "Right now I'm at City and I'm really happy. But I say Real Madrid are a fantastic club," Sterling told Spanish outlet AS.
      "When you see the white shirt you know exactly what the club stands for, it's massive."
      The England international added: "But at the same time, I have a contract with City now and I have to respect this. But it's a fantastic club."

Terdling the wee sh*te … rats, ship? Though maybe too early to say given the appeal ...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #185: Feb 23, 2020 12:43:30 pm
      The Mirror is implying that City is trying to pull down us with them because of some breach of their scouting that we both agreed to compensate for it.

Happened about seven years ago, was dealt with, we payed them off, it's just straws being grasped by desperate people.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #186: Feb 23, 2020 01:27:59 pm
      David Conn in The Guardian

FFP turned round Premier League clubs’ losses and helped restore Liverpool

In the days after Manchester City were found to have seriously breached Uefa’s financial fair play rules by overstating their sponsorships from Abu Dhabi companies, some of the ensuing discussion rapidly diverted from that guilty finding to questioning the merits of FFP itself. Approved by Uefa in the 2009 season after years of wondering how to drag European football from overspending on players’ wages, FFP has since transformed top division clubs’ finances overall, and was introduced by the Premier League in 2013       

City’s impatient ambitions after the great fortune of the 2008 takeover by Sheikh Mansour of the Abu Dhabi ruling family were based on him bankrolling mega-spending, rather than the FFP principle that clubs should not spend more than they make in revenues and not rely on owner funding. Mansour’s executives were adversarially hostile to FFP and threatened to sue Uefa in 2014 as its club financial control body (CFCB) assessed City’s deficit at around €180m, far greater than the €45m allowable then.

The idea has grown that FFP was specifically introduced after the big clubs lobbied to prevent Manchester City competing with them, based on the new Abu Dhabi fortunes. Senior people who were involved in developing the regulations reject that; one recalled that discussions about incorporating financial discipline into Uefa’s licensing system continued for years and the detailed work began on creating FFP in 2008.

City were in crisis then, at risk of becoming a classic illustration of the need for such rules. Their owner for a single season, the former prime minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra, had backed heavy spending but was then accused of corruption in his homeland and had his assets frozen. City made a loss of £33m but Thaksin had no more money to fund it. That year, 13 clubs in the Premier League, the world’s richest, made losses, and six subsequently fell into some form of crisis after their owners decided they could no longer keep pouring the money in. 

Mansour’s purchase was a startling reversal of City’s luck over the previous 30 years – apart from inheriting the City of Manchester stadium after the 2002 Commonwealth Games. City could have fallen like Portsmouth, or Leeds, or Bolton, then in the Premier League, who finally went into administration last year after their owner, Eddie Davies, called a halt after writing off £180m, or Málaga, the Spanish club whose crisis was cited by Uefa when FFP was finally introduced.

The then Uefa president, Michel Platini, had talked about debt being the issue, but as accountants worked on the principles, they formed the view that debt can be taken on for investment purposes, but losses, overspending, was the key problem driving clubs into trouble.     

Uefa can point to Liverpool’s recovery since then as an example of the system working as they hoped. In 2009-10, Liverpool were falling into financial crisis under the debt‑loading ownership of Tom Hicks and George Gillett; they finished seventh in the Premier League, made a loss of £20m and owed the Royal Bank of Scotland £200m.

When crisis bit and RBS in effect took control of the failing club, John W Henry ultimately bid and fought the court battle to buy the club partly because he believed FFP made it a viable prospect. A private equity investor and owner of the Boston Red Sox, Henry believed from his business experience that if unlimited spending on players backed by owner funding were allowed, nobody could compete with a Gulf state. However, the FFP framework restricting losses meant that his FSG ownership could plan for rebuilding Liverpool through its revenues.

In almost 10 years since his FSG takeover, they have not put money in to bankroll player signings, but have advanced a £110m interest-free loan to build the new main stand, ending years of Anfield stadium stagnation. Revenues have grown steadily as the recruitment of players and, transformationally, Jürgen Klopp as manager have improved the team’s performances.   

Liverpool were always a big club and similar growth would not produce a Champions League victory and impending Premier League title for many others. The issue of “competitive balance” is real, as success is consolidated in a few rich clubs, but that was not the problem FFP was designed to solve. The richest clubs were carrying off the trophies before, as they do, but unlimited spending was no rational model for football competition, because a club needed a Gulf state backer, as City and the Qatar-owned Paris Saint-Germain had, or a Russian oligarch as Chelsea had, to fund the necessary wage bill.   

In 2017, after six years of FFP, clubs across Europe’s top divisions recorded an overall profit for the first time, €615m, finally reversing years of losses. Premier League clubs were also transformed into profit immediately FFP was introduced in 2013, although City and a small group of other clubs had voted against it 

City got through their initial years of massive losses by agreeing a settlement with Uefa in 2014, involving relatively modest restraints. Making agreements with Uefa to enable large initial investment is now built into the FFP system. City are now looking to build a global football empire and not share more money to facilitate competitive balance: they led the campaign by the Premier League’s “big six” in 2018 to have more of the international TV rights than the other 14.

Contrary to some of the fury expressed this past week, City have not been found guilty of breaching FFP rules by exceeding permitted loss limits. The finding, which City are appealing against, is that they overstated their Abu Dhabi sponsorships in their accounts and in their submissions to Uefa, a different issue entirely.

ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #187: Feb 23, 2020 08:07:39 pm
      "Right now I'm at City and I'm really happy. But I say Real Madrid are a fantastic club," Sterling told Spanish outlet AS.
      "When you see the white shirt you know exactly what the club stands for, it's massive."
      The England international added: "But at the same time, I have a contract with City now and I have to respect this. But it's a fantastic club."

Terdling the wee sh*te … rats, ship? Though maybe too early to say given the appeal ...

No he doesn’t respect any contract. We know him better. He’ll rot on the Real bench.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #188: Feb 27, 2020 12:45:26 pm
      No he doesn’t respect any contract. We know him better. He’ll rot on the Real bench.

judging by the state of Real Madrid yesterday he'd be the first name on the teamsheet every week, what on earth has happened to Real's attack??
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #189: Feb 27, 2020 01:43:19 pm

We said that about him when he left Liverpool & he's gone on to be absolutely integral to Man City & played a massive part in their recent success. He'll stroll into that Madrid team no problem
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #190: Feb 27, 2020 07:24:27 pm
      We said that about him when he left Liverpool & he's gone on to be absolutely integral to Man City & played a massive part in their recent success. He'll stroll into that Madrid team no problem

Doesn't change the fact that he's one greedy b***ard. I'm happy to go off topic. One greedy b***ard.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #191: Feb 27, 2020 07:49:24 pm
      I don't worry about this rat!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #192: Feb 27, 2020 07:53:12 pm
      he did say he wouldn't have left if he knew Rodgers was leaving. These young lads are not always advised with their careers in mind and I am sure his Agent was paid handsomely for the transfer for basically doing sweet FA. We seem to have done OK without these players so  I really don't care much for them and if City get their punishment they will all be off like rats deserting a sinking ship
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #193: Feb 27, 2020 07:58:34 pm
      https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool/liverpool-set-to-poach-manchester-city-physio-as-backroom-reshuffle-continues-a4373036.html

Liverpool are set to poach physio Steve Lilley from Manchester City as a reshuffle of the club’s medical department continues.

The Reds are preparing for the loss of current physio Richie Partridge after he agreed to take up a role with the Qatar national team.

The Irishman, who made three first-team appearances at Anfield in the early 2000s, will end his latest stay on Merseyside in March.

But the blow of his departure has now been softened with another high-profile appointment from a Premier League rival.

O’Driscoll will also join the Reds next month, replacing head of medical services Andy Massey once he begins a new role at Fifa.

Lilley, who has also previously worked for Norwich City, will link up with a familiar face upon his arrival at Anfield in Lee Nobes.

Liverpool’s head physio made the same switch from the Etihad Stadium to Anfield in November 2018 after 11 years in Manchester.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #194: Jun 05, 2020 12:03:53 pm
      https://twitter.com/1894Group_MCFC/status/1268821406185336833?s=19

Hahahahahahahahaha oh dear hahahahahahahaha

£8,000 worth of donations that cost!

Great use of money, giving everything what's going on at the minute

....hahahahahahahahahaha ha
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #195: Jun 05, 2020 12:15:14 pm
      https://twitter.com/1894Group_MCFC/status/1268821406185336833?s=19

Hahahahahahahahaha oh dear hahahahahahahaha

£8,000 worth of donations that cost!

Great use of money, giving everything what's going on at the minute

....hahahahahahahahahaha ha

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #196: Jun 06, 2020 04:44:50 pm
      Is that their bigtime trophy party then?And are they having a pop at their own fans with the 'Where were you when we were sh*t'  banner?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #197: Jun 06, 2020 05:16:54 pm
      Big pinch of salt here, friend of a friend's cousin and all that, but someone I know has a sports lawyer as a family member, who is adamant that there is more to come from this and the FA/PL will conduct their own investigation and PL titles being rescinded is not beyond the question.

Anyway there's some iffy speculation not related to a virus for a change.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #198: Jun 19, 2020 07:47:38 am
      Big pinch of salt here, friend of a friend's cousin and all that, but someone I know has a sports lawyer as a family member, who is adamant that there is more to come from this and the FA/PL will conduct their own investigation and PL titles being rescinded is not beyond the question.

Anyway there's some iffy speculation not related to a virus for a change.

Well they had the opportunity to polish Man cities name from the trophy, while they were engraving ours in it 😂😂
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #199: Jun 19, 2020 10:22:12 am
      Not confident about the ban being upheld. Think there will be two possibilities.

1) A 1 year ban with the 2nd year being suspended
      2) Winning their appeal and having no ban

Hope I’m wrong.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #200: Jun 19, 2020 11:10:18 am
      Not confident about the ban being upheld. Think there will be two possibilities.

Hope I’m wrong.

I'm with you and think they will get away with it. Cheats usually do in football.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #201: Jun 20, 2020 07:47:50 pm

Hope I’m wrong.

If the ban is overturned it will be the end of ffp and uefa will get a bloody nose as well, I think there will be a lot of pressure to see City punished.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #202: Jun 30, 2020 11:53:14 pm
      July 13th the verdict is being announced and released.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #203: Jul 01, 2020 03:52:00 am
      July 13th the verdict is being announced and released.

Smells like at least a partial reprieve.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #204: Jul 01, 2020 04:52:50 am
      Well we've all become part time Wolves supporters for the obvious reasons.

Joking apart ... they are a pleasure to watch.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #205: Jul 01, 2020 08:15:09 am
      Smells like at least a partial reprieve.

From 2 years to 1 year, yes that's possible but I'd be stunned if its completely overturned, I actually wonder if it might go the other way and be extended, I think there are a lot more skeletons in the Man City closet and I reckon these judges know it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #206: Jul 01, 2020 09:22:28 am
      From 2 years to 1 year, yes that's possible but I'd be stunned if its completely overturned, I actually wonder if it might go the other way and be extended, I think there are a lot more skeletons in the Man City closet and I reckon these judges know it.

Id happly take a year if United finish in top 5  ;D

Quick Reply