Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban

Read 32502 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Man City - 2 Year Champions League Ban
      Reply #276: Jul 14, 2020 01:47:29 am
      Typical!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #277: Jul 14, 2020 07:37:44 am
      Did we really expect any different outcome ?
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #278: Jul 14, 2020 09:33:15 am
      Did we really expect any different outcome ?
      Honestly I did. Looked like they were caught red handed
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #279: Jul 14, 2020 09:55:28 am
      see right now, I really DGAF whats going on with this.

But eventually eufa will have to just give it up, or do it properly.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #280: Jul 14, 2020 09:58:45 am
      If I was City I wouldn't be too cocky about this, there will be a lot of people at UEFA who are even more determined to punish City now and we all know they have been fiddling the books far more recently than 5 years ago, they have just painted a huge target on their backs.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #281: Jul 14, 2020 11:04:00 am
      If I was City I wouldn't be too cocky about this, there will be a lot of people at UEFA who are even more determined to punish City now and we all know they have been fiddling the books far more recently than 5 years ago, they have just painted a huge target on their backs.

UEFA have proven to be powerless, makes no difference how determined they are, nothing will stick.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #282: Jul 14, 2020 11:39:58 am
      UEFA have proven to be powerless, makes no difference how determined they are, nothing will stick.

Depends if they keep using CAS as the arbitration body ;-)

Believe me UEFA are far from toothless or powerless, its their sport for heavens sake, but they will be hurting from this and the PSG verdict last year so this is far from over, its also not beyond the realms of possibility that UEFA take this to the Swiss federal court because its becoming more than a bit iffy that CAS are constantly letting these petro dollar clubs off.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #283: Jul 14, 2020 12:19:56 pm
      It's become a dirty little game, hasn't it?

It has only become dirty by those who are corrupt and chose to cheat their way to success, unfortunately those who govern the ā€˜beautifulā€™ game are themselves tarnished with corruption, the custodianā€™s aka UEFA, FIFA & our very own FA have plenty of dirty linen within their corridors of power,

How can it be just that in order to prove whether or not a particular owner has flouted the rules, their rules,that they have to hand the investigation over to a independent body, arenā€™t those custodianā€™s capable of undertaking their own queries, and if not why are they even there ?
      Or could it be that those very same custodians cannot trust those within their own organisation because they are all to well aware of the corruption within ?

If I scratch your back, will you scratch mine, but please donā€™t scratch to hard you could open a right can of worms !

If a governing body and those they employ to investigate a clear breach of the rules suggests something isnā€™t quite right within said organisations, they obviously had something to investigate, why else go to such lengths in a attempt to prove otherwise, the only conclusion is that they have been bought, both themselves and those conducting the investigation and those who made the final decision !

It bemuses me that had the league been curtailed with ourselves holding a unassailable lead, we would have been awarded the title, but guess who would promote having a asterisk against our name, no rocket scientists need apply,

I agree with Gerns, everything that City have won in recent years  should Now have a asterisk, their achievements are tarnished , no question at all about that, sad thing is so will everything they achieve from now on, because anyone & everyone knows they have been let off with their cheating and corruption by those who are supposed to protect us from that very thing, they say cheats never prosper, they do, if you have enough billions to implement it.

Y  N  W  A
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #284: Jul 14, 2020 01:41:38 pm
      Klopp mentioned that it's better for us in next season's Premier League because City won't have 10-12 fewer matches to play as they would if they were out of the Champions League.

But he summarized the FFP ruling this way: "I don't think yesterday was a good day for football."

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #285: Jul 14, 2020 03:37:50 pm

But he summarized the FFP ruling this way: "I don't think yesterday was a good day for football."

Sure this will cause a bit of fume across the M62 ;D
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #286: Jul 14, 2020 05:42:46 pm
      It's not the players fault but tbh I've not given City any credit for anything they've ever won. For whatever reason it doesn't impress me, I used to hate seeing Man Utd win league titles as I hate them but it was also with a begrudging respect you couldn't fault their standing as a club or achievements built by Busby and carried on by Ferguson.
      I'll never see City on a level with giants such as Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern etc and ourselves. It's not a closed shop but for me just buying your way up there doesn't make you big, they don't even fill their stadium on title run ins.. Money can't buy everything, they'll never match us and what we've done this year is amazing, I thought City would continue to ruin football and we've stood against their financial might.. Its JĆ¼rgen we owe it all to.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #287: Jul 14, 2020 05:45:37 pm
      Honestly I did. Looked like they were caught red handed

Think a good chunk of it was outside the 5 year reporting period.

Might be wrong, but I think that's what it is.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #288: Jul 14, 2020 05:51:03 pm
      Pep went on the defensive today, taking shots at several clubs and different people. If there is nothing to hide then why comment, just move on and don't try and justify the club.

What they are failing to recognise though is that they haven't actually said City didn't breach the FFP, the issue is that it wasn't investigated until it was too late. Unless I'm wrong.
      If this is the case then that's probably why Pep went full on defensive today, because they haven't actually been cleared of wrong doing, instead it was a poorly executed and put together case by UEFA, outside of the time frame.

Jose nailed it when he commented; "if Man City is not guilty of it then you are not punished with 10 million. It's a disgraceful decision,"

They've gotten away with it because UEFA were too slow.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #289: Jul 14, 2020 06:06:31 pm

Jose nailed it when he commented; "if Man City is not guilty of it then you are not punished with 10 million. It's a disgraceful decision,"

Don't you know? That's probably the bribe they had to pay to get out of it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #290: Jul 14, 2020 06:44:24 pm
      It's not the players fault but tbh I've not given City any credit for anything they've ever won. For whatever reason it doesn't impress me, I used to hate seeing Man Utd win league titles as I hate them but it was also with a begrudging respect you couldn't fault their standing as a club or achievements built by Busby and carried on by Ferguson.
      I'll never see City on a level with giants such as Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern etc and ourselves. It's not a closed shop but for me just buying your way up there doesn't make you big, they don't even fill their stadium on title run ins.. Money can't buy everything, they'll never match us and what we've done this year is amazing, I thought City would continue to ruin football and we've stood against their financial might.. Its JĆ¼rgen we owe it all to.

Agree with much of this but I would add when you mention Real Madrid and Barcelona, that back in the 90s and early 2000s they were sort of a precursor to Man City and PSG in that more than once they had millions upon millions in debts totally or largely forgiven by national banks in Spain, as well as unusual tax breaks and dodgy real estate deals.

The arrangements were very complicated but ilt definitely made it where they were not operating on the same playing field as most other clubs.

City hasn't invented greed and corruption, just "advanced" it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #291: Jul 14, 2020 06:52:49 pm
      Pep went on the defensive today, taking shots at several clubs and different people. If there is nothing to hide then why comment, just move on and don't try and justify the club.

What they are failing to recognise though is that they haven't actually said City didn't breach the FFP, the issue is that it wasn't investigated until it was too late. Unless I'm wrong.
      If this is the case then that's probably why Pep went full on defensive today, because they haven't actually been cleared of wrong doing, instead it was a poorly executed and put together case by UEFA, outside of the time frame.

Jose's full quote:

ā€œIā€™m not saying Man City is guilty. Iā€™m saying if youā€™re not guilty you donā€™t pay. You are not punished, even with a pound. I know that money is quite easy for them but itā€™s just a principle. Why are you paying Ā£8m or Ā£9m if you are not guilty? If they are not guilty the decision is a disgrace. If you are guilty the decision is also a disgrace. My criticism is not for Man City. Iā€™m nobody to know if theyā€™re guilty or not. My criticism is for the decision.ā€
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #292: Jul 14, 2020 07:22:39 pm
      Jose's full quote:

ā€œIā€™m not saying Man City is guilty. Iā€™m saying if youā€™re not guilty you donā€™t pay. You are not punished, even with a pound. I know that money is quite easy for them but itā€™s just a principle. Why are you paying Ā£8m or Ā£9m if you are not guilty? If they are not guilty the decision is a disgrace. If you are guilty the decision is also a disgrace. My criticism is not for Man City. Iā€™m nobody to know if theyā€™re guilty or not. My criticism is for the decision.ā€

Don't often agree with The Whingy One, but think he's made a good point there
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #293: Jul 14, 2020 07:35:00 pm
      Jose's full quote:

He is 100% spot on.

The decision reeks of a corruption with a pathetic fine just for optics sake.

A fine means they broke ffp rules.

What's the point of a monetary fine for a super rich club like Citeh?

There should be no monetary fines for breaking ffp rules only tournament bans or transfer bans.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #294: Jul 14, 2020 10:09:31 pm
      Jose's full quote:

The issue is the fine is for ā€œfailing to co-operateā€ with the investigation
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #295: Jul 14, 2020 10:26:07 pm
      The issue is the fine is for ā€œfailing to co-operateā€ with the investigation

Hmm. Wonder why they didn't cooperate....
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #296: Jul 14, 2020 10:42:48 pm
      I do wonder what FSG are thinking right now about all this. Their whole model is built on FFP being enforced but it clearly won't be anymore. It was the 'too late' bollocks this time and no doubt it'll be some other bollocks when one of Europe's best teams break the rules again in the future.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see the club change hands in the next few years.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #297: Jul 14, 2020 11:18:10 pm
      Pep and his toys coming out of the pram
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #298: Jul 14, 2020 11:18:48 pm
      Wouldn't surprise me if we see the club change hands in the next few years.
      One of the first things that came into my head when the news broke this.

The strategy that they nailed now might need to be changed going forward with FFP being on its ass. Will they be willing to change ? If not they could sell

Quick Reply