Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves?

Alisson
      16 (15.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      11 (10.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      7 (6.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      52 (49.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      17 (16.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2020 09:51:45 pm

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22684 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Jan 24, 2020 09:20:19 am
      Someone needs to sit Mo down and show him all the times when he should have passed instead of shoot, his decision making in this area needs some urgent F***ing work. If he won't learn then sadly he needs to be replaced, because at the moment he is costing the team more goals than he's scoring.
      I also thought Robbo and Ox had quite poor games, but in fairness Robbo was run ragged by Traore and Ox just hasn't been himself the past few weeks, maybe not quite 100% physically.

The main thing though is that we dug in weathered the Wolves storm second half and pinched a late goal.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #392: Jan 24, 2020 09:30:23 am
      Someone needs to sit Mo down and show him all the times when he should have passed instead of shoot, his decision making in this area needs some urgent f**king work. If he won't learn then sadly he needs to be replaced, because at the moment he is costing the team more goals than he's scoring.
      I also thought Robbo and Ox had quite poor games, but in fairness Robbo was run ragged by Traore and Ox just hasn't been himself the past few weeks, maybe not quite 100% physically.

The main thing though is that we dug in weathered the Wolves storm second half and pinched a late goal.

Was lucky Henderson took the ball off him for Firmino's goal as it looked like he was just going to dribble himself into a hole

The worst thing he can do is miss a chance or two early on because he's capable of then spending the rest of the game chasing his losses and snatching at everything that comes his way
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #393: Jan 24, 2020 09:33:07 am
      Was lucky Henderson took the ball off him for Firmino's goal as it looked like he was just going to dribble himself into a hole

The worst thing he can do is miss a chance or two early on because he's capable of then spending the rest of the game chasing his losses and snatching at everything that comes his way

Salah did dribble himself into a hole, again, its just lucky the ball bounced off a wolves defender and went to Hendo who slotted a lovely pass into Bobby.
      If I was Klopp I'd be giving Mo the hairdryer treatment, its really outrageous how seldom he passes the bloody ball, its bad for the team in terms of performance and morale, no wonder Sadio got so pissed off with him earlier in the season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #394: Jan 24, 2020 09:37:25 am

Was still our brightest attacking player though. People get frustrated at his greediness at times but that's all part of his game and a big part of the reason he comfortably scores 20 goals every season. You just have to accept there will be misses and remember that he will almost always get into good goal scoring positions and create opportunities all by himself on a regular basis. Clubs pay millions for that and we're lucky as anything to have 2 of them playing either side of the best false 9 in world football.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #395: Jan 24, 2020 09:39:54 am
      Important win against a very good Wolves side. Well taken goal by Firmino to take all three points.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #396: Jan 24, 2020 09:43:27 am
      Was still our brightest attacking player though. People get frustrated at his greediness at times but that's all part of his game and a big part of the reason he comfortably scores 20 goals every season. You just have to accept there will be misses and remember that he will almost always get into good goal scoring positions and create opportunities all by himself on a regular basis. Clubs pay millions for that and we're lucky as anything to have 2 of them playing either side of the best false 9 in world football.

After everything that’s happened since Salah came into the team, I could never moan about his selfishness.

He works so F***ing hard and is on his toes the whole game. He was causing havoc last night and his intricate play in the box was the reason we got the winner. 
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #397: Jan 24, 2020 09:50:52 am

Every attacker has to be greedy to a certain degree but there's been quite a few times where he could have played somebody in and instead chose to snatch at a half chance himself.

Not slagging him off as he is brilliant and his defensive work is magnificent but his decision making in front of goal can let him down. We're lucky our defence is rock solid & we're in a position were we're able to waste a few opportunities as we know 9 times out of 10 a goal or two will win us the game
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #398: Jan 24, 2020 09:52:06 am
      After everything that’s happened since Salah came into the team, I could never moan about his selfishness.

He works so f**king hard and is on his toes the whole game. He was causing havoc last night and his intricate play in the box was the reason we got the winner. 

Every player can improve and the only thing Salah needs to improve is his decision making and evaluation of who has the best chance of scoring because at the moment its crap, he has the playing mindset of a spoilt and pampered child who refuses to pass the ball, its all me me me when in front of goal and the very best strikers are not like that.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #399: Jan 24, 2020 10:02:35 am
      Imagine having our old midfield of stevie g , xabi and mash now in this team . Not our midfield is bad or anything but those three in our team now would be unreal
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #400: Jan 24, 2020 10:03:31 am
      You all need to watch the winning goal back again. Salah dribbled himself into another hole? Give me a break! When he gets the ball he is the ONLY Liverpool player in the box and there are FIVE Wolves defenders (4 of them in close proximity). Salah stops in his tracks, throws in a dragback and then megs a defender. It was a wonderful piece of skill, his next touch goes awry and Hendo runs onto it and plays in Bobby for the winner. None of that happens without an incredible piece of skill in the tightest of spaces.

Heimy you call him out EVERY single game he doesn't score (and go quiet when he does) and yet players like Ox (who was invisible last night) or others can have a 6/10 game and not get a mention. You have even advocated playing Ox ahead of Salah as a forward. Trust me, Ox would never even get into the positions Salah does in the first place.

To be honest I don't understand how LFC fans can be calling players out so frequently after we win every week. They're all f***in brilliant and we should all be on our hands and knees bowing to the one of the best LFC teams in history.
      +15
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #401: Jan 24, 2020 10:50:41 am
      You all need to watch the winning goal back again. Salah dribbled himself into another hole? Give me a break! When he gets the ball he is the ONLY Liverpool player in the box and there are FIVE Wolves defenders (4 of them in close proximity). Salah stops in his tracks, throws in a dragback and then megs a defender. It was a wonderful piece of skill, his next touch goes awry and Hendo runs onto it and plays in Bobby for the winner. None of that happens without an incredible piece of skill in the tightest of spaces.

Heimy you call him out EVERY single game he doesn't score (and go quiet when he does) and yet players like Ox (who was invisible last night) or others can have a 6/10 game and not get a mention. You have even advocated playing Ox ahead of Salah as a forward. Trust me, Ox would never even get into the positions Salah does in the first place.

To be honest I don't understand how LFC fans can be calling players out so frequently after we win every week. They're all f***in brilliant and we should all be on our hands and knees bowing to the one of the best LFC teams in history.

We have the right to demand 10/10 performance every time even though none of us or the players are perfect ourselves. But I don't think I'm so shameless. I'm not perfect meself.

When Mo doesn't score the idea is to leave him out in the next match. But when he's left out, we question why he was left out. I don't think most of us including you are this double minded.

Credit where it is due. Without him, and his poor touch, the goal wouldn't have happened.

How I love this saying from a top government official - Black cat or white cat, as long as the cat catches mice, it's a good cat.

Good touch or bad touch, as long as the play leads to a goal, it's a good play.

Hollywood goal or scrappy/lucky goal, as long as the goals lead to three points they are all good goals.

Before it was 30 points to the title. Now it's 27 points. Getting there....
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #402: Jan 24, 2020 10:58:42 am
      Bloody brilliant again, this was arguably one of the hardest away games we will face. Job done.

Im pissed with salah, not for LFC performance as he was involved in loads and works his socks off. But I triple captained him this week on FF was hoping for a goal or 2.

But LFC win is most important.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #403: Jan 24, 2020 11:53:20 am
      Fantastic win but that 2nd half is arguably the worst we’ve played in a long time. They were in virtual complete control from half time up to when we got the winner, I thought the first half we were the better team and almost made them run out of ideas and had Traore under control. 2nd half we couldn’t cope with him for large parts, players were missing tackles, passes were stray and the first touch was sloppy. But we showed our resilience, Alisson made vital saves again and we got the all important 2nd goal.

You don’t get to 67 out of 69 points without an element of luck from time to time and this was never going to be an easy game, Wolves excel against the bigger teams.

Shame about Mane but we’ve got until Wednesday for the West Ham game so he could be okay by then....hopefully! He didn’t look to have any trouble walking off so hopefully was more of a precaution than anything.

But we don’t get injuries....yeah right!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #404: Jan 24, 2020 12:00:06 pm
      Fantastic win but that 2nd half is arguably the worst we’ve played in a long time. They were in virtual complete control from half time up to when we got the winner, I thought the first half we were the better team and almost made them run out of ideas and had Traore under control. 2nd half we couldn’t cope with him for large parts, players were missing tackles, passes were stray and the first touch was sloppy. But we showed our resilience, Alisson made vital saves again and we got the all important 2nd goal.

You don’t get to 67 out of 69 points without an element of luck from time to time and this was never going to be an easy game, Wolves excel against the bigger teams.

Shame about Mane but we’ve got until Wednesday for the West Ham game so he could be okay by then....hopefully! He didn’t look to have any trouble walking off so hopefully was more of a precaution than anything.

But we don’t get injuries....yeah right!!

If it is hamstring Mane will probably miss the FA cup, west ham and maybe Southampton games, they wont rush him. we have a wee break after southampton game, so that helps.

We can win all those games without him NP.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #405: Jan 24, 2020 12:14:07 pm
      That second half in particular was poor tactically with full backs just pumping balls down the flanks and squandering possession. The front three couldn’t make a simple 10 yard pass.
      We certainly gave Wolves the incentive to come onto us and when they did we couldn’t handle their press particularly in midfield, this was alleviated a bit by Fab coming on, he certainly knows how to calm things down keep it simple and control possession.

The loss of Mane didn’t help as nothing scares defenders like pace, maybe Origi should have been his replacement rather than Minamino who looked a but overawed.

Another 3 pts and we march on.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #406: Jan 24, 2020 12:19:39 pm
      That second half in particular was poor tactically with full backs just pumping balls down the flanks and squandering possession. The front three couldn’t make a simple 10 yard pass.
      We certainly gave Wolves the incentive to come onto us and when they did we couldn’t handle their press particularly in midfield, this was alleviated a bit by Fab coming on, he certainly knows how to calm things down keep it simple and control possession.

The loss of Mane didn’t help as nothing scares defenders like pace, maybe Origi should have been his replacement rather than Minamino who looked a but overawed.

Another 3 pts and we march on.

Minamino picked up a bit of a calf injury not long after coming on, had treatment on it at half time so that could have been why. Even so though, it’s not an easy game to come into and make your league debut.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #407: Jan 24, 2020 12:45:04 pm
      Imagine having our old midfield of stevie g , xabi and mash now in this team . Not our midfield is bad or anything but those three in our team now would be unreal

Our midfield is not bad at all BUT it could be better, imagine if we had de Bruyne in our team for example or even Maddison, I think we either need to drop Bobby into midfield or get another AM in the summer
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #408: Jan 24, 2020 01:07:35 pm

I've watched it mate. He lost the ball.

The key moment is after the nutmeg, he needed to play the ball to Gini who was running central. That would have been the best move, but instead he took an extra touch. Luckily it fell to Henderson, but equally it could have been wasted and cleared away. No one is disputing the skill - which was brilliant - but it's that selfishness, the extra touches, the extra bit of "me" in him. Much like when he could have passed to Minamino to score instead earlier in the game. He just needs to cut out the selfishness and be more willing to pass.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #409: Jan 24, 2020 01:15:13 pm
      Hendo hasn't been getting many headlines, but good to see him with a goal and assist last night. Wonder is Jürgen encouraging him to get forward and shoot a little bit more - could've had one vs Manure too - maybe not, just one of those nights in the right place at the right time.

But he has played a lot of games and one of Jurgens first names on the teamsheet.

Not getting carried away, but starting to imagine the most amazing, incredible Hendo shuffle of them all...

The 'We need to talk about Henderson' thread seems a loooong time ago :)

Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #410: Jan 24, 2020 01:22:55 pm
      Great win and a good game to watch. One of our toughest tests yet.

9 left!!!!

YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #411: Jan 24, 2020 01:24:22 pm
      I've watched it mate. He lost the ball.

The key moment is after the nutmeg, he needed to play the ball to Gini who was running central. That would have been the best move, but instead he took an extra touch. Luckily it fell to Henderson, but equally it could have been wasted and cleared away. No one is disputing the skill - which was brilliant - but it's that selfishness, the extra touches, the extra bit of "me" in him. Much like when he could have passed to Minamino to score instead earlier in the game. He just needs to cut out the selfishness and be more willing to pass.

Easy to say though when watching back on TV, especially when it gets slowed down.

He was being crowded, there's a load of players around him, I doubt he could see.

I don't think he's selfish, I think he just doesn't see.
      Like the pass to Minamino; there was a player in the way, a pass in front of that player brings the keeper into play, even if the ball isn't intercepted.
      Things look an awful lot different when you're at pitch level, not very tall, and everything happens so fast.
      A split second and the passing lane is gone.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #412: Jan 24, 2020 02:11:27 pm
      Easy to say though when watching back on TV, especially when it gets slowed down.

He was being crowded, there's a load of players around him, I doubt he could see.

I don't think he's selfish, I think he just doesn't see.
      Like the pass to Minamino; there was a player in the way, a pass in front of that player brings the keeper into play, even if the ball isn't intercepted.
      Things look an awful lot different when you're at pitch level, not very tall, and everything happens so fast.
      A split second and the passing lane is gone.

Sense at last about Mo.

F**k me some of the sh*t he gets for taking players on and having a shot on goal is ridiculous.

Personally I like to see strikers being a bit selfish.

The mans been immense since he joined.

We’re close to our first title in 30 years and people having a dig demanding 10/10 performances have a word will ya.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #413: Jan 24, 2020 02:19:51 pm
      It was far from our best performance but it was probably our best result in lots of ways. Credit to Wolves, they played very well in the second half.

Immense effort from VVD and Gomez at the back, midfield tireless and enough quality up front as usual, but special mention to MOM Jordan Henderson. He is in the form of his life and thoroughly deserves this success. Brilliant last night yet again.

Quick Reply