Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves?

Alisson
      16 (15.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      11 (10.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      7 (6.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      52 (49.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      17 (16.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2020 09:51:45 pm

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22670 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Jan 23, 2020 11:29:16 pm
      Bit hacked off with AOC. He was strolling up and down the left hand side quite a bit from about 50 mins or so. We know he wants to play central but he has to do more. Didn't do all that much im the first half. Wants to stay on for the full 90 then he has to do more.

This was always going to be a season for Ox to build up his fitness again which takes months after such a serious knee injury.

He will hopefully end this season strong, have a good Euros, and come back better than ever in August.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #369: Jan 23, 2020 11:37:52 pm
      Bit hacked off with AOC. He was strolling up and down the left hand side quite a bit from about 50 mins or so.

He looks a totally different player being on from the start and being a sub IMO.

Fabinho back soon so I'm expecting Ox to pick up second half of the season.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #370: Jan 23, 2020 11:57:52 pm
      Wonder if a Mane injury changes Klopps thoughts about adding Timo Werner. I know the rumors have us putting in an offer for the Summer window but we may be doing it sooner rather than later.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #371: Jan 24, 2020 12:04:01 am
      He looks a totally different player being on from the start and being a sub IMO.

Fabinho back soon so I'm expecting Ox to pick up second half of the season.

I mean I like The OX. He was just starting to make a serious contribution before he got injured. Could well be down to fitness and to be fair most were looking leggy at about the hour mark. He'll get plenty of chances but we obviously have fantastic standards and I hope he is with us on this fantastic journey that the boss is taking us on.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #372: Jan 24, 2020 12:43:33 am
      It was class until he got tackled.

Once again too much individual work by Salah, and we were lucky the ball fell to Henderson.

Yes we needed that bounce of the ball off Salah that I spoke about earlier. One way or another though he took 2 or 3 players to stop him and when the ball got to Hendo they were out of the game.

This is why if Mo would find it in himself to release the ball of his own accord he will become an even better player. Taking players out of the game for others can be just as devastating - perhaps even more so - than trying to create chances purely for himself.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #373: Jan 24, 2020 12:54:56 am
      quote from rossyred on Yesterday at 08:41:50 pm
      Wheres these surging runs from Ox gone

I think Mane’s got them in his jockstrap, it’s why he went off 😆[/i]

Just wanted to highlight this bit of comedy gold from Billy earlier in the match thread, for those who missed it!  ;D

Highbrow, lowbrow,, ,in the end everyone likes a good poop joke.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Wolves V Liverpool
      Reply #374: Jan 24, 2020 01:07:38 am
      Getting a second goal sometime before the 85th minute would do wonders for our nerves.

Like the 84th minute you meant?  :)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Wolves V Liverpool
      Reply #375: Jan 24, 2020 01:08:59 am
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #376: Jan 24, 2020 01:16:11 am
      This was always going to be hard game and we got our 3 points another professional performance.  1 massive step closer to the league title another fantastic performance from Hendo.  With so many late goals from this team I was also excepting a point from this when we got to the last 10 mins.   We've had a sensational season but looking back this Wolves team deserves to be playing in Europe deserve top 4 ask me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #377: Jan 24, 2020 01:52:51 am
      Good on Wolves for giving it a go, but let's not miss the real standout performance here. A team that lost its best forward, on the road, in a classic letdown game after beating its main rival, looks to be on the ropes after surrendering an equalizer, gets off the canvas, brushes off, gets control of the match again and scores yet another late winner to claim all three points and go up 16 points with a game in hand. Magnificent.

Billy is the only one I've seen mention it but Fabinho made a big impact tonight. He looked out of sorts in the brief stint vs. United last week but he's got his legs back now and I thought him coming in and Hendo going a bit forward and wide gave us control of the midfield again. We don't win otherwise.

It's been mentioned that Robbo struggled for part of tonight, but he also dug deep toward the end and made a vital contribution. Virgil was immense again, but so was Joe Gomez, my 2nd choice for MOTM after Henderson.

I was surprised Jürgen went with Minamino when Sadio went off. I thought Takumi was a bit outmatched physically, to be honest. I believe he can get up to speed eventually, but it might be a while.

If it is really a hamstring I suspect it will be the beginning of March before we see Sadio again. I don't think it will hurt us in the league race but he would be a major loss for the Atletico matches. We will need Divock, or Shaq, or Ox, or Adam or Curtis or Takumi or someone to step in and perform well.

I expect not "some of the first team rested" but rather "11 changes" for the FA Cup match Sunday.

Anyway, great win for us (again) and let's stretch it to 19 next Wednesday.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2020 03:08:56 am by Robby The Z »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #378: Jan 24, 2020 02:12:33 am
      Felt big, that.

Mighty!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #379: Jan 24, 2020 02:35:41 am
      Actually thought the game turned when Chamberlain came off for Fabinho. We actually started to keep hold of the ball a bit more and started to play.

But Bobby loves the awaydays this season!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #380: Jan 24, 2020 02:50:27 am
      Man, that was a tough one. Gotta hand it to Wolves, they aren’t scared of anyone. Really felt like a few of our guys weren’t really switched on this game. Wasn’t impressed with Gini, Ox was good first half but disappeared second half. Robbo apparently didn’t realize they were going to attack him and that Traore had enough speed to blow past him at will. Though Mo had a really poor outing, he needs to sort out his selfishness. Sometimes it works in our favor but tonight he was bypassing wide open players to take crap shots. Was glad to see Klopp sub Origi on for him.

Really impressed with Minamino considering he played with a little knock and he slotted in pretty well.

Fabinho helped us get some bite back.

Overall, a good game to digest for the boys and see where they maybe went wrong. Learn from it and move on.

Hendo motm for me.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #381: Jan 24, 2020 06:28:04 am
      Hendo continues his rich vein of form, he was all over the place and in a game where he can set up goal and score one it is nice to see him get rewarded for all his hard work.

The game was pretty scrappy and we defended for long periods of the game (especially in the second half) but we did create a few clear cut chance which we didn't take. This game as the scoreline reflects reminded me of how we played on the road earlier this season just finding ways to win, score the goal at the right time, defended well when needed it etc etc.

I thought Gomez had a really good game using his pace well and tackling well. TAA was a threat for periods of the game on the right hand side and Alisson came up big when called upon which is what we needed.

There were definitely more of the players who didn't have great games than those who did but as this season theme seems to be we just do enough to keep on rolling.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #382: Jan 24, 2020 06:37:17 am
      It wasn't pretty to watch but who gives a sh*t we got the 3 points and that is o.k in my books.   
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #383: Jan 24, 2020 06:38:35 am
      Salah was disappointing again IMO. Ox could not find his place and Wijnaldum did his job but we lacked leadership in midfield.

Thankfully, they are really mentality monsters.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #384: Jan 24, 2020 07:10:15 am
      Told you it would be easy  ;)

Thank god for Bobby though. What a goal!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #385: Jan 24, 2020 07:20:04 am
      Wolves were terrific, he is building an excellent team there and were it not fir the Europa league I think they’d be scrapping with Leicester for 3rd place right now. It’s a big pitch at Molineux and they stretch it high and wide so it’s difficult to really get after them with the press.thryve got a couple of cultured midfielders in Neves and Mourinho and in Traore they’ve got an absolute monster of a player. All the credit goes to Wolves for their 2nd half performance but once again our lads roll up their sleeves and defend for their lives. I have Alisson motm for some great saves but Gomez was superb once again and Trent had a good game defensively as well. A few criticising Salah again for missing chances but he created most of them for himself and it was a superb piece of skill from him that led to the winning goal. Would have been happy with a draw so to get the win was awesome.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #386: Jan 24, 2020 07:47:22 am
      Salah was disappointing again IMO. Ox could not find his place and Wijnaldum did his job but we lacked leadership in midfield.

Thankfully, they are really mentality monsters.

Sometimes you have to give the opposition some credit. As for leadership I thought there was tons of it. We were clinging on at times in the 2nd half but the lads stood tall, rolled their sleeves and grafted for the result. I think there was more to praise in that performance than there was to criticise as the win was built on resilience and sheer will to win. This team just find a way to win.
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2020 09:31:29 am by Scottbot »
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #387: Jan 24, 2020 08:04:09 am

Billy is the only one I've seen mention it but Fabinho made a big impact tonight. He looked out of sorts in the brief stint vs. United last week but he's got his legs back now and I thought him coming in and Hendo going a bit forward and wide gave us control of the midfield again. We don't win otherwise.

Surprised to read this. I thought Fabhino was awful. Kept giving the ball away and wasting possession.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #388: Jan 24, 2020 08:24:43 am
      When Sadio went off, I would have preferred Minamino in place of Gini with Divock on the left. as  there was no out for Robertson after he  went off. Didn't think Gini contributed anything  last night, and unfortunately Robbo had a bit of a mare as well, but then he was up against probably the best right winger in the country. Traore, who is a monster compared to his dad, Jimmy, should be on our shopping list.

However a great two points against a good side. Loved the "sad" photo of Coady Connor after Bobby's goal.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #389: Jan 24, 2020 08:57:53 am
      I said this game would be tricky.
      Respect to Wolves .... hardest game of the season.

We found a way ....... thats all that needs to be said.

Well done lads.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #390: Jan 24, 2020 09:08:57 am
      Probably our toughest game of the season so far but I don't agree with a lot of what was said post match etc

I think we were the better team and certainly had the better chances. Salah could have had a hat-trick and Firmino missed a sitter prior to his goal.

I think the pundits are going a bit overboard and making the most of it as Wolves are the only team this season that's really given us a good go. Thought Traore was superb and turned Robbo into a pretzel on a few occasions but in terms of volume of goal scoring chances I'd say we edged it

Credit to Wolves though they are a very good side. If they're able to play & recreate an atmosphere like that once the Europa League restarts, I wouldn't bet against them getting to the final

Quick Reply