Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Shrewsbury?

Adrián
      51 (61.4%)
      Neco Williams
      7 (8.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Yasser Larouci
      1 (1.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      8 (9.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      13 (15.7%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.2%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 30, 2020 06:52:14 pm

Shrewsbury 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26302 times
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Re: Shrewsbury 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Jan 27, 2020 09:27:27 am
      we made Shrewsbury Town look like Napoli !!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #369: Jan 27, 2020 09:31:28 am
      This is how sh*te Everton is going by this match. :lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #370: Jan 27, 2020 10:11:50 am
      If the keeper is man of the match and the team still concedes two it says a lot about what was playing in front of him.
      Disaterous 2nd half, compounded by the penalty that shouldn't have been.

Would have like to have seen the team tightened up at 2-0 but fair play to Shrewbury, they get their game at Anfield.
      Pity it'll be against the reserves but I reckon Klopp has to stick to his guns on game congestion and the winter break.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #371: Jan 27, 2020 10:29:39 am
      If the keeper is man of the match and the team still concedes two it says a lot about what was playing in front of him.
      Disaterous 2nd half, compounded by the penalty that shouldn't have been.

Would have like to have seen the team tightened up at 2-0 but fair play to Shrewbury, they get their game at Anfield.
      Pity it'll be against the reserves but I reckon Klopp has to stick to his guns on game congestion and the winter break.

I'm hoping hes just making a point, because I think it will be changing fairly soon regardless. Clearly theres been a huge backlash against the FA Cup but to me it's all about the lack of money in that cup, and it is the CL that is drawn out and unneccasirily protracted.

At least this time fans have an idea in advance though before they splash out 32 quid or whatever it will be on what will basically become a Johnstones paint lfc u23 side Vs league 1 oppo where we usually crash out early. (Lost 5-2 against Accrington this year for reference)

Going back to the CL it looks set to become even more drawn out with more games involved. I dont think we will ever see under 19s figure in though and players being over worked brought into the debate. The money  involved will dictate that players go on and play even more.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020 10:48:14 am by fields of anny rd »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #372: Jan 27, 2020 10:59:30 am
      Quote from Livershrew
      Yes, and we need to get over it? Take it up with them later.
      Just send exactly the same team out in the replay. They threw away a 2 goal lead to a league 1 side..

Not that surprised tbh. Most of them are from the PL2 team who have had a lot of crap results this season, with Critchley who is a crap manager. Many of those players couldn't beat Oldham and Fleetwood and Wigan this season, so Shrewsbury was always going to be a struggle for them. Still is.

As regards the replay, none of them should go to replays, and there's no reason why that game couldn't be done on the day. Not every club needs a replay to keep the show on the road. While every round bar the 3rd Round should be midweek, like the League Cup.

Being German, Jürgen is a major advocate of winter breaks. Now, he's had enough and decided to take a stand about it. The "winter break" was only ever for show, now it's a sham. He's not going to risk our most important players just to get past Shrewsbury at home. No EPL club takes this seriously until at least the quarter finals, when the pub teams have long since had their big day out, packed up and gone home.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #373: Jan 27, 2020 11:05:47 am
      I'm hoping hes just making a point, because I think it will be changing fairly soon regardless. Clearly theres been a huge backlash against the FA Cup but to me it's all about the lack of money in that cup, and it is the CL that is drawn out and unneccasirily protracted.

At least this time fans have an idea in advance though before they splash out 32 quid or whatever it will be on what will basically become a Johnstones paint lfc u23 side Vs league 1 oppo where we usually crash out early. (Lost 5-2 against Accrington this year for reference)

Going back to the CL it looks set to become even more drawn out with more games involved. I dont think we will ever see under 19s figure in though and players being over worked brought into the debate. The money  involved will dictate that players go on and play even more.

Quite happy to see the younger reds having to step up in the cups.
      It's made them interesting for me, and fantastic for the Everton game.
      Point could be made that some of the senior players dropped off in the 2nd half,
      but then they are only back from injury so it's to be expected.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #374: Jan 27, 2020 11:19:35 am
      Sloppy.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #375: Jan 27, 2020 11:25:02 am
      Sometime between the 1st and 15th of February during the winter break. We play on the 1st at 3pm against Southampton and 5:30 on the 15th against Norwich. Probably the weekend of the 8th/9th.

"At least four Premier League teams will need replays, which are scheduled for Tuesday 4 and Wednesday 5 February, meaning they will cut into the new mid-season break which runs between 2 and 16 February."
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51256760

Not as bad as I thought it would be although obviously not ideal.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #376: Jan 27, 2020 11:43:28 am
      This boils down to the FA not bothering to take into account the winter break. 4th round of the FA cup produces draws.That's a fact. So all the FA cup ties from the third round on should've been decided on the day, extra time, then penalties if rquired.

The gate money for ties from the 3rd to the 6th round are split. 10% goes into the 'pool' and the clubs get 45% each,slightly different for replays. OK if a small club gets a replay back at their place they get TV and advert money. So no replays and smaller clubs could miss out on the money.

Money for lower league clubs is the nub of it. Most see the FA cup as a vital revenue stream and getting a draw in the third round onwards is a money spinner for them. Shutting down that revenue possibility goes against the grain but given the FA knew the score they should not be miffed if we field a perceived under strength team.

Klopp said he has a letter from the Premier League saying clubs should respect the winter break..

Klopp..."I got paper.."
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020 11:57:33 am by Harrisimo »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #377: Jan 27, 2020 12:14:03 pm
      If none of our rivals in the Prem cannot handle the Firminho, Mane, Salah killing machine what chance have a second tier set up got in any comparison scenario?
      Rather than put Salah and Firminho on in the last 10 minutes a better strategy would be to start them and gain confidence/experience for the team then bring on the second tier.

Hindsight is a wonderful accessory.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020 12:20:10 pm by stuey »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #378: Jan 27, 2020 12:53:51 pm
      Not that surprised tbh. Most of them are from the PL2 team who have had a lot of crap results this season, with Critchley who is a crap manager. Many of those players couldn't beat Oldham and Fleetwood and Wigan this season, so Shrewsbury was always going to be a struggle for them. Still is.

As regards the replay, none of them should go to replays, and there's no reason why that game couldn't be done on the day. Not every club needs a replay to keep the show on the road. While every round bar the 3rd Round should be midweek, like the League Cup.

Being German, Jürgen is a major advocate of winter breaks. Now, he's had enough and decided to take a stand about it. The "winter break" was only ever for show, now it's a sham. He's not going to risk our most important players just to get past Shrewsbury at home. No EPL club takes this seriously until at least the quarter finals, when the pub teams have long since had their big day out, packed up and gone home.

Those games you mention are mainly 18 and 19-year olds against the first team players, 20s and 30s of those EFL Trophy opponents - so the same level of opposition as with Shrewsbury. You'll see better results against other U23 sides. I couldn't speak to Neil Critchley's managerial ability. What is it you know about him that is so poor?

Jürgen has said there are four or five U23s who he has no trouble in using with the first team. They train regularly at Melwood and I think they have largely given a good account of themselves. These were the players who played last night.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #379: Jan 27, 2020 12:59:59 pm

You really do need to stop trash talking the players and the manager

Right now I don’t give two shits about the FA Cup or about what will happen when we play kids. I only care about the league and the CL right now and mainly the League - it’s been 30 f**king years since we won tbe league and no FA Cup is going to get in the way of that

I have no doubt that If we played the senior players and someone got a serious injury that potentially derailed the league bid they you would be the first at the queue with your pitchfork - Klopp can play the u16 team as far as I’m concerned and any pr**k that says it’s a blemish is either trolling or just doesn’t have a clue about us

Is it possible I might just have a different point of view to you and that I see this decision as incredibly childish from Jürgen, just because the FA didn't bow to his request/demand to not have replays? I think this is utterly embarassing and I'm still to understand why players liek Lovren, Matip, Fabinho, Shaq, Origi, Minamino and Keita so desperately need a break, considering they've hardly played this season.
      BTW its also bloody embarrassing not to thrash Shrewsbury when we had them at 2-0, it was an abject performance and the senior players clearly did not take it seriously.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #380: Jan 27, 2020 01:10:34 pm
      Quite happy to see the younger reds having to step up in the cups.
      It's made them interesting for me, and fantastic for the Everton game.
      Point could be made that some of the senior players dropped off in the 2nd half,
      but then they are only back from injury so it's to be expected.

Yes more than happy for it to happen, but I dont think we need to sell them all down the river. They will (probably wrongly considering the EFL trophy results) get a bit of a caning if they go out to Shrewsbury.

The main players by all means need a rest, but there are some who this game may come at a good time for to gain match sharpness and who can use this to get prepared as and when called upon.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #381: Jan 27, 2020 01:13:09 pm
      Yes more than happy for it to happen, but I dont think we need to sell them all down the river. They will (probably wrongly considering the EFL trophy results) get a bit of a caning if they go out to Shrewsbury.

This a perfect chance for those players returning from injury to get a good runout, baffling that Jürgen does not understand this and instead wants to act like a baby throwing his toys out of the pram.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #382: Jan 27, 2020 01:23:09 pm
      Understand Klopp is annoyed and he's made a bold statement about his own availability with the winter break all planned. However, he has to take and face accountability for that screw up vs Shrewsbury. We needed that game won, and he needed to win it. If he has players under performing (which he did) then he needs to sort them out. Make changes, sort out a formation, give them a kicking and get them fired up.

Evidently that all failed as we were lucky to even draw the game. The failure is much on Klopp and he cannot just avoid that fact by refusing to show up for the replay.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #383: Jan 27, 2020 01:49:21 pm
      Should the FA cup be doing replays [for 4th round matches] given it's weight is not even close to what it what it was decades ago? From point of view of big clubs like us, it's more fixture congestion. For the small clubs, getting a 2nd go at a big side like us is a huge deal, am sure there's plenty of excitement at Shrewsbury ahead of the game, so that is the other side of it.

But Jürgen has to fight HIS corner. They have a winter break planned, now the FA decide they want to stick a game in. Think Jürgen is entitled to say F**k that, get yer heads together and sort out the fixtures, or THIS is the response you will get.
      These guys aren't concerned about the magic of the Cup, it's money and trying to hold onto the 'status' of the competition. And what Jürgen is doing is the only thing that will make them sit up and take notice [they still mightn't].

We're in a unique position though, in that unlike others we're at the sharp end of both of the two big comps [PL and CL].
      Still, the kids at home might be able to get past these - should be interesting game :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #384: Jan 27, 2020 01:54:04 pm
      Should the FA cup be doing replays [for 4th round matches] given it's weight is not even close to what it what it was decades ago? From point of view of big clubs like us, it's more fixture congestion. For the small clubs, getting a 2nd go at a big side like us is a huge deal, am sure there's plenty of excitement at Shrewsbury ahead of the game, so that is the other side of it.

But Jürgen has to fight HIS corner. They have a winter break planned, now the FA decide they want to stick a game in. Think Jürgen is entitled to say f**k that, get yer heads together and sort out the fixtures, or THIS is the response you will get.
      These guys aren't concerned about the magic of the Cup, it's money and trying to hold onto the 'status' of the competition. And what Jürgen is doing is the only thing that will make them sit up and take notice [they still mightn't].

We're in a unique position though, in that unlike others we're at the sharp end of both of the two big comps [PL and CL].
      Still, the kids at home might be able to get past these - should be interesting game :)

Jürgen's stance would only work if other teams did the same, but their attitude, is sh*t, bit inconvenient but at least we are still in the FA Cup.
      The argument to get rid of replays is a good one, but the rules at the moment say that a draw against a 3rd division team mean that you have to replay the game and we have players that clearly need some more games so I'm baffled by Jürgen's stance on this, its incredibly silly. The same senior players who played sh*t yesterday should play the replay, let their families go on holiday and they can join them after the match, I'm sure they have enough money to buy extra tickets!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #385: Jan 27, 2020 02:07:48 pm
      The amount of sh1t being flung about this. Fuk the FA & fuk the FA Cup, its theyre own doing, arranging replays during the winter break.

I hope Klopp enjoys his mini break, and I hope the 1st team players enjoy the break too.

People forget thsi break was brought in becuase these guys work right through xmas & new year. England has only now started to see the light with winter breaks, every other major league does it, even scotland have one now, and its great IMO. almost 3 weeks off after the new years fixtures, league cup starts in July, which my home team motherwell have really enjoyed, its replaced worthless friendlies.

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #386: Jan 27, 2020 02:13:41 pm
      Wait and see how it pans out. Klopp is sticking to his principles and I am not going to criticise a person for that. However, we’ve got some players in the squad who could yet knock the managers door and ask to play in the game. Let’s see if they happens or not.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #387: Jan 27, 2020 02:16:06 pm
      The amount of sh1t being flung about this. Fuk the FA & fuk the FA Cup, its theyre own doing, arranging replays during the winter break.

I hope Klopp enjoys his mini break, and I hope the 1st team players enjoy the break too.

People forget thsi break was brought in becuase these guys work right through xmas & new year. England has only now started to see the light with winter breaks, every other major league does it, even scotland have one now, and its great IMO. almost 3 weeks off after the new years fixtures, league cup starts in July, which my home team motherwell have really enjoyed, its replaced worthless friendlies.

F**k that! 3 weeks with no footy - I'd end up going mad!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #388: Jan 27, 2020 02:33:20 pm
      F**k that! 3 weeks with no footy - I'd end up going mad!

;D. Yea but summer footi in july. :)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #389: Jan 27, 2020 02:34:38 pm
      Wait and see how it pans out. Klopp is sticking to his principles and I am not going to criticise a person for that. However, we’ve got some players in the squad who could yet knock the managers door and ask to play in the game. Let’s see if they happens or not.

this may well happen.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #390: Jan 27, 2020 03:33:02 pm

I raised this idea of those backup players like Origi, Lovren and Matip asking if they could play, but as I think of it is extremely unlikely. Shaqiri and Keita I supose are the two who should be most inclined to ask if they can train with the U23s during the break and then play in the match, but I don't expect it.

I assume the first team players return to training on the 8th or 9th, would moving the replay to the 11th or 12th be a possibility?

At any rate, I'm over my surprise at Jürgen's stance on this. I still expect to hear something from The Premier League, but whatever Jürgen wants, I'm fine with.

(and no, I do not write off the U23s chance of winning the game at Anfield).

Quick Reply