Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Shrewsbury?

Adrián
      51 (61.4%)
      Neco Williams
      7 (8.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Yasser Larouci
      1 (1.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      8 (9.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      13 (15.7%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.2%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 30, 2020 06:52:14 pm

Shrewsbury 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26283 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: Shrewsbury 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Jan 27, 2020 03:59:42 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      Those games you mention are mainly 18 and 19-year olds against the first team players, 20s and 30s of those EFL Trophy opponents - so the same level of opposition as with Shrewsbury. You'll see better results against other U23 sides. I couldn't speak to Neil Critchley's managerial ability. What is it you know about him that is so poor?

To me, he looks and sounds like someone out of his depth. Unfortunately, his results both this year and last, have been if I am generous, very average. I would be more confident of a positive result, if Lewtas was in charge instead.

Of course we wouldn't be having this inquest, if VAR was available and overturned that penalty decision. :'( Wrong decisions ruin football.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #392: Jan 27, 2020 04:42:33 pm
      I raised this idea of those backup players like Origi, Lovren and Matip asking if they could play, but as I think of it is extremely unlikely. Shaqiri and Keita I supose are the two who should be most inclined to ask if they can train with the U23s during the break and then play in the match, but I don't expect it.

I assume the first team players return to training on the 8th or 9th, would moving the replay to the 11th or 12th be a possibility?

At any rate, I'm over my surprise at Jürgen's stance on this. I still expect to hear something from The Premier League, but whatever Jürgen wants, I'm fine with.

(and no, I do not write off the U23s chance of winning the game at Anfield).

Yea, in the klopp thread , its discussed klopp may not want 1 rule for some and 1 rule for others, and players may have already made plans to go away.

But if some players specifically come and knock on his door saying I was a game boss, suppose its then up to him and the club to decide.

I think they will leave it with the u23s and I think they have a very good chance tbh.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #393: Jan 27, 2020 04:43:56 pm
      To me, he looks and sounds like someone out of his depth. Unfortunately, his results both this year and last, have been if I am generous, very average. I would be more confident of a positive result, if Lewtas was in charge instead.

Of course we wouldn't be having this inquest, if VAR was available and overturned that penalty decision. :'( Wrong decisions ruin football.

u23s squad is mostly u18s, and is always losing players to the 1st team, thats why sometimes results are sketchy. its more about player development than results at that level anyway.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #394: Jan 27, 2020 04:45:42 pm

I see what you did there...

You are relentlessly persistent, nobody could deny you that.  :)

Re Critchley, I could do with a bit less shouting from the touchline, but that's a pet peeve I have with a number of coaches at all levels.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #395: Jan 27, 2020 05:47:14 pm

But if some players specifically come and knock on his door saying I was a game boss, suppose its then up to him and the club to decide.

I think they will leave it with the u23s and I think they have a very good chance tbh.

On second thought though if one or a few knock on his door and are allowed to play then it puts the other fringe or returning players under scrutiny, no. 

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #396: Jan 27, 2020 05:58:07 pm
      We knew the risk of a replay being played in the break so really have no complaints. The FA havent just planned this and he obviously was aware by throwing on the big guns at the end by which point it was to late
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #397: Jan 27, 2020 06:04:54 pm
       We have several players either badly in need of a game or could generally do with the extra minutes who can then still have a 10/11 day break. Shaq, Keita, Fab, Lovren, Matip, Minamino, Adrian, Origi, Milner and Lallana. I see no harm in them playing. People can play the injury chestnut but we’d have to be very unlucky to lose all of them. Players who play as little as they have done of late, a 14 day break is going to be of no benefit.

Not forgetting the ones that played yesterday need to redeem themselves. Still can’t believe what a sh*t show that was. The youngsters can be excused for their dip in performance, but the senior players certainly can’t. The 2nd goal Lovren completely missed the ball! Don’t care how long a player has been injured, the performances was failing to even do the basics.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020 06:48:52 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #398: Jan 27, 2020 06:07:38 pm
      On second thought though if one or a few knock on his door and are allowed to play then it puts the other fringe or returning players under scrutiny, no. 

could do aye.

May show the ones that didnt knock on door in a bad light.

But also the fitness guys would probably step in and say nope. go and take your week off. ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #399: Jan 27, 2020 06:12:28 pm
      couldn't give a F**k about the FA cup.

The league is all that matters this year, and anything that helps us win it is fine by me.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #400: Jan 27, 2020 06:17:38 pm
      could do aye.

May show the ones that didnt knock on door in a bad light.

But also the fitness guys would probably step in and say nope. go and take your week off. ;D

Yeh off course but it is a difficult one.  And Jürgen always has his players on top of his agendas.  Personally think it is a good opportunity for for the fringe players and those coming from injury.   Apart from Origi's that have done everything but not selected that isn't there fault they deserve their break.   It is hard to work all week do all the training have yourself fully tuned up for match day then not to even be given the opportunity maybe not be physical but mentally need a rest definitely.   
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #401: Jan 27, 2020 06:26:34 pm
      couldn't give a f**k about the FA cup.

The league is all that matters this year, and anything that helps us win it is fine by me.

We are 16 points clear with a game in hand  do you really see 4 more games derailing that ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #402: Jan 27, 2020 06:54:21 pm
      We are 16 points clear with a game in hand  do you really see 4 more games derailing that ?

Personally see it more of a distraction if the club starts kicking up a fuss over the scheduling of it, playing the kids and Klopp not bothering to even manage the kids for it.
      Yes it’s badly organised and another sign of their incompetence but we have nobody to blame for this replay but ourselves so unfortunately, just have to suck it up and not create a load of controversy about it all.

It’s obviously a different situation but back when Rafa had his rant about Fergie, even though he was right, it wasn’t necessary and we then slipped a bit. Now with all this taking a stand over the sake of having the break cut short by 2 or 3 days, is it really needed? Do we need this being the focus on the club now?
      Even though it’s another game, it’s early on in the break, we have several players in need of minutes and if the players actually do a proper job this time, there’s no reason why we need to make it a difficult game. It’s hardly like taking on City smack bang in the middle of the break is it.

This is an incredible team we have this season, there’s no reason why we can’t clean house with all the silverware this season. Why lose that opportunity over the matter of principle? The possibility of going into the replay 19 points clear. It’s not going to derail our season taking it seriously and if it does, then the problem would extend beyond that one game.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020 07:00:08 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #403: Jan 27, 2020 07:01:24 pm
      Personally see it more of a distraction if the club starts kicking up a fuss over the scheduling of it, playing the kids and Klopp not bothering to even manage the kids for it.
      Yes it’s badly organised and another sign of their incompetence but we have nobody to blame for this replay but ourselves so unfortunately, just have to suck it up and not create a load of controversy about it all.

It’s obviously a different situation but back when Rafa had his rant about Fergie, even though he was right, it wasn’t necessary and we then slipped a bit. Now with all this taking a stand over the sake of having the break cut short by 2 or 3 days, is it really needed? Do we need this being the focus on the club now?
      Even though it’s another game, it’s early on in the break, we have several players in need of minutes and if the players actually do a proper job this time, there’s no reason why we need to make it a difficult game. It’s hardly like taking on City is it.

I think the actual break from Melwood will be following the Southampton game on the 1st until like Sunday the 9th, then the team would begin training together again on Monday the 10th or Tuesday the 11th in advance of the Norwich City match on Saturday the 15th.  It's a very modest break which I suppose is part of why Klopp is guarding it so jealously.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #404: Jan 27, 2020 07:06:01 pm
      Yeh off course but it is a difficult one.  And Jürgen always has his players on top of his agendas.  Personally think it is a good opportunity for for the fringe players and those coming from injury.   Apart from Origi's that have done everything but not selected that isn't there fault they deserve their break.   It is hard to work all week do all the training have yourself fully tuned up for match day then not to even be given the opportunity maybe not be physical but mentally need a rest definitely.   

DEFO. If I was the likes of lovren, shaq, naby id be saying Ill play boss, and only take a few days break.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #405: Jan 27, 2020 07:09:41 pm
      DEFO. If I was the likes of lovren, shaq, naby id be saying Ill play boss, and only take a few days break.

In any other place of work if you're offered a week's break you'd snap your F***ing bosses hands off and take the hols. Why should they be any different?
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #406: Jan 27, 2020 07:14:46 pm

Even though it’s another game, it’s early on in the break, we have several players in need of minutes and if the players actually do a proper job this time, there’s no reason why we need to make it a difficult game. It’s hardly like taking on City smack bang in the middle of the break is it.

This is an incredible team we have this season, there’s no reason why we can’t clean house with all the silverware this season. Why lose that opportunity over the matter of principle? The possibility of going into the replay 19 points clear. It’s not going to derail our season taking it seriously and if it does, then the problem would extend beyond that one game.

Never said any different to what you have just said just reiterating the point this replay will have absolutely zero impact on the destination of the PL title
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #407: Jan 27, 2020 07:23:31 pm
      In any other place of work if you're offered a week's break you'd snap your f**king bosses hands off and take the hols. Why should they be any different?

In fairness their job is vastly different. It’s not like they are going to work for 9hrs+ a day, making money for someone else 5,6,7 days a week to keep a roof over their head.
      Can safely say if I was in their position and was given the choice out a week off or playing a bit more football then I’d be choosing to play, wouldn’t even have to think about it and I’m confident there will be players, who need the minutes who will have been disappointed to hear they won’t be playing.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #408: Jan 27, 2020 07:41:49 pm
      Will we play the reserves at Chelsea if we get through?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #409: Jan 27, 2020 07:45:42 pm
      In any other place of work if you're offered a week's break you'd snap your f**king bosses hands off and take the hols. Why should they be any different?

Your 100% right man. but when these guys are injured, they get to go on paid holidays. ;D

So long as it not like mega serious injuries like broken bits etc.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #410: Jan 27, 2020 07:50:29 pm
      In fairness their job is vastly different. It’s not like they are going to work for 9hrs+ a day, making money for someone else 5,6,7 days a week to keep a roof over their head.

Again I'm gonna defer to James Milner's book "Ask A Footballer" which I was reading over Christmas and even he says as much as he loves playing etc, there are still a lot of footballers that still see it as just their job!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #411: Jan 27, 2020 10:06:31 pm
      Again I'm gonna defer to James Milner's book "Ask A Footballer" which I was reading over Christmas and even he says as much as he loves playing etc, there are still a lot of footballers that still see it as just their job!

From this time yesterday I understand Jürgen's purpose in this much more - and as usual - I think he is right.

You are probably correct that all of the players will take the holiday regardless of how much they've played or been injured.

If one ore more of them who haven't played so much were to ask to stay and play, do you think Jürgen would permit it?

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #412: Jan 27, 2020 10:14:46 pm
      I think this is more to do with later rounds and Klopp not wanting to jeopardise CL games by having to play full teams vs Chelsea and the rest. Clear as day he cant be fu**ed with the cups.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #413: Jan 27, 2020 10:31:41 pm

If one ore more of them who haven't played so much were to ask to stay and play, do you think Jürgen would permit it?

The more you think about it the more obvious it gets.  I don't think he allows them.  Maybe Minamino? He wants a winter break.   With such a busy schedule am sure most of the players would have planned something with their families weeks maybe months ago.   Then a few days before this happens and they have to cancel.   Easier idea why don't them Lazy B******* reschedule.  They won't and I don't think Klopp will.  The FA Cup is the loser but it is their own making.    Do they discuss it with other involved parties or just make decisions as they go and expect players, managers and Clubs just to follow their orders.

Quick Reply