Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Alisson
      5 (4.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      10 (9.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      39 (37.5%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      25 (24%)
      Roberto Firmino
      22 (21.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Voting closed: Feb 05, 2020 04:51:33 pm

Liverpool 4-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18326 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Feb 01, 2020 10:54:36 pm
      Another stunning goal from the Ox, you can always rely on our midfield to chip in with a goal or two. Not forgetting a goal from Henderson, with a couple from Mo to give a 4  0 victory over the saints.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #231: Feb 01, 2020 10:54:47 pm
      Shearer thinks it's 'incredible' Saints never got a pen. Surely it's not just me who sees Fab didnt make contact, Ings took 2 extra steps then hit the deck.

Hardly clear or obvious   :dunceblock:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #232: Feb 01, 2020 10:56:33 pm
      Shearer thinks it's 'incredible' Saints never got a pen. Surely it's not just me who sees Fab didnt make contact, Ings took 2 extra steps then hit the deck.

F**k Shearer and F**k MOTD!

They always seem to try and diminish what we are doing and side against us when they can.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #233: Feb 01, 2020 11:11:30 pm
      Got home to the pub put some heat in the wheels to get home by 9 we are on fire 🔥 Mo Salah is is back to his best , not that he was that far away just kick back in the knowledge we are watching a remarkable team
      LFC YOU BEAUTIES
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #234: Feb 01, 2020 11:18:44 pm
      Bobby was never getting the cross. The backpass was the one we definitely got away with unless it went forward 😂

Is there a stipulation in the rule that permits a player to be rugby-tackled in the penalty area if the ball isn't within a certain distance from him?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #235: Feb 01, 2020 11:20:47 pm
      Thought Fab was less than Fab to be honest no where near usual standard and Virg was less than impressed with him on numerous occasions

Actually I thought this was his strongest game since returning, especially the 2nd half. Step forward for Fabinho, for me.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #236: Feb 01, 2020 11:26:17 pm
      Is there a stipulation in the rule that permits a player to be rugby-tackled in the penalty area if the ball isn't within a certain distance from him?

Not sure maybe contact VAR
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #237: Feb 01, 2020 11:27:24 pm
      Actually I thought this was his strongest game since returning, especially the 2nd half. Step forward for Fabinho, for me.

I was at the match and watched him very closely was no where near his standard pre injury but agree better than his previous outings since injury
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #238: Feb 01, 2020 11:47:39 pm

Theres not, but I have a feeling the VAR would have found it more 'clear and obvious' if the cross was a little lower. Fabinho wasnt close to his best today, seems the type of player who needs 3 or 4 games before hes back in the swing. He's got some minutes under his belt now, and 2 weeks away from football, just chilling and training. Hopefully back in top form for the CL and the title run in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #239: Feb 02, 2020 12:05:20 am
      Theres not, but I have a feeling the VAR would have found it more 'clear and obvious' if the cross was a little lower. Fabinho wasnt close to his best today, seems the type of player who needs 3 or 4 games before hes back in the swing. He's got some minutes under his belt now, and 2 weeks away from football, just chilling and training. Hopefully back in top form for the CL and the title run in.

I just felt like in his earlier games since returning he was a liability (especially vs. West Ham and vs. Shrewsbury) while today he had more positive involvement in transitioning to attack, etc. I'm sure you are right that he will improve going forward.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #240: Feb 02, 2020 12:51:39 am
      I just felt like in his earlier games since returning he was a liability (especially vs. West Ham and vs. Shrewsbury) while today he had more positive involvement in transitioning to attack, etc. I'm sure you are right that he will improve going forward.

Then we agree mate, because he was certainly better than he was against the shrews :D
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #241: Feb 02, 2020 12:59:09 am
      Good match. Noticing that teams are really trying to break us down with more Pressing and higher lines. Wolves were doing it and Southampton did it also. The first half was really sloppy. I dont see it as Liverpool played bad but Southampton were trying to play up to our level and were successful for 45 minutes but then Southampton ran out of gas and our quality finally took advantage.
      MOTM for me was Hendo. He has been so good this season. I'm glad he's finally been able to really pick up Gerrard's mantle and go with it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #242: Feb 02, 2020 01:30:31 am
      Get the f**k innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

A wonderful 2nd half after a pretty ordinary 1st Half

What a Team we have, Thank you Jürgen and all the backroom Staff for allowing us to Believe!!!

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #243: Feb 02, 2020 01:32:44 am
      I know, it's like he looks at the first 45 mins, then initiates a cheat mode.

Having a drink with my youngest, and he's just said Klopp is on "God Mode".

I think I know what he means, even as he's telling me I'm a thckk f**ker when it comes to computer games.

He's not wrong, Klopp is on God Mode.

Blessed be Fowlers Daddy.

bekloppt
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #244: Feb 02, 2020 02:40:53 am
      3 more points, another 'normal' game!
      In my book this word has become the biggest compliment you can give to someone or something!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #245: Feb 02, 2020 05:03:16 am
      Watched the match again tonight and was struck how, in the final few minutes of the match when we were up 3-0 and then 4-0, the forwards and midfielders are all still pressing. This teams desire, but also its fitness level, is on another galaxy.

Kids take center stage next week while the first team begin the holiday sweepstakes. Where is everybody off to?

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #246: Feb 02, 2020 07:15:32 am
      Watched the match again tonight and was struck how, in the final few minutes of the match when we were up 3-0 and then 4-0, the forwards and midfielders are all still pressing. This teams desire, but also its fitness level, is on another galaxy.

Kids take center stage next week while the first team begin the holiday sweepstakes. Where is everybody off to?

That is the beauty of this L.F.C.squad today,they never let their heads drop and fight to the last whistle.Without a doubt it is this unity that is making us WORLD BEATERS.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #247: Feb 02, 2020 11:18:02 am

he may have made contact but I couldn't tell from the angle of the Camera and the Ref had a perfect view and didn't give it so not sure how it was clear and obvious.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #248: Feb 02, 2020 11:33:46 am
      That is the beauty of this L.F.C.squad today,they never let their heads drop and fight to the last whistle.Without a doubt it is this unity that is making us WORLD BEATERS.

Yes, as a team we are greater than the sum of all our parts and when those parts are damned good you end up with a spectacular once in a generation team!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #249: Feb 02, 2020 11:34:16 am
      Superb that yesterday. Couldn't pick a MOTM out of Salah & Henderson. Both absolutely world class

Hendo was the last person to leave the pitch at the end and his song was being belted out by all four corners of the stadium. The man is now immortalised as a club legend a la Gerrard, Hughes & Souness. Even people like myself, who have always liked Hendo could have never imagined this!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #250: Feb 02, 2020 11:52:01 am
      Superb that yesterday. Couldn't pick a MOTM out of Salah & Henderson. Both absolutely world class

Hendo was the last person to leave the pitch at the end and his song was being belted out by all four corners of the stadium. The man is now immortalised as a club legend a la Gerrard, Hughes & Souness. Even people like myself, who have always liked Hendo could have never imagined this!

Henderson's influence in all areas of the game was unmatched and the goal was just reward for his invaluable contribution to that 4-0 result.
      MOTM without equal.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #251: Feb 02, 2020 11:55:48 am
      he may have made contact but I couldn't tell from the angle of the Camera and the Ref had a perfect view and didn't give it so not sure how it was clear and obvious.

No penalty. I’ve re-watched the incident a few times. 

The contact was thigh on thigh, likened to a 50/50 challenge which saw the ball roll away deeper into the box. Danny managed to skip past Fab’s thighs, and threw himself forward.

1) Contact in the box? Yes. Thigh on thigh.
      2) Deliberate? No. Seemed like 50/50.
      3) Did Danny fall? Yes.
      4) How did he fall? By throwing himself forward after successfully getting past Fab.
      5) Where’s the evidence? The ball was rolling away from Ings. It was too far and he couldn’t get to it, after beating Fab. He had a motivation to dive. He took a step, leaned forward and went to ground.

Alan Shearer is an incredible pundit. He saw contact, saw the fall and slammed the refs. He didn’t bother thinking through 2), 4) and 5).
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #252: Feb 02, 2020 11:58:33 am
      Henderson's influence in all areas of the game was unmatched and the goal was just reward for his invaluable contribution to that 4-0 result.
      MOTM without equal.

Thought Salah was incredible also, some of his link up was brilliant and obviously great finishes for the two goals and even his disallowed goal

Not watched the highlights or any of the game back yet but I couldn't put a cigarette paper between them yesterday.

Quick Reply